Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2008, 20:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
@ blue pulsar: When did you visit? Was planning to go next week along with family and 2 kids. Was there no waterfalls? Can the kids enjoy there now? Do update and post pics asap.
I visited this Saturday(13 Jan 2008). There was waterfalls, but, not in full bloom. I heard from thr coracle rider that the number of falls had also decreased. But kids will definitely enjoy the coracle ride for sure. Will post pics tomorrow. My net conn is damn slow today.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 13th January 2008 at 21:00.
Old 13th January 2008, 22:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Pics!

Old 13th January 2008, 22:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics and thanks for information.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:52   #34

Is it safe enough to go for the coracle ride with a kid of only 3 yrs.
For the route should we go to the Dharmapuri town without entering the toll way to take the deviation to Hognekkal
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linoos View Post
For the route should we go to the Dharmapuri town without entering the toll way to take the deviation to Hognekkal
It should be safe as long as people on the coracle are disicplined. Just make sure you take one for your family alone (or with your known friends).

When you reach the flyover / bypass for the Dhamapuri, go below the bridge and take right in there. I think you also have signs.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linoos View Post
Take the coracle ride from the park ( opposite to the Tamilnadu hotel car parking area ).

you can take the coracle ride after the hanging bridge also but water flow will be more there. Without knowing that , I went with my kid ( 3 yrs old ) ,wife and felt.

have a safe trip and enjoy
Old 16th November 2009, 09:25   #37

I visited Hogenakkal on saturday the 14th nov'09. It's a fantastic place.
Planned route -> bangalore, Silk board -> Hosur- Denkanikottai--> Pennaguram --> Hogenakkal. Expecting to avoid the NH's and enjoy the state highways and cruise over little England.
missed to take a turn from the Highway

Who's: 3 yr old kid, wife and myslef
Route taken:
Starting Point: JP Nagar, Bangalore at 7:30 AM - With half tank diesel.

After the Hosur Flyover, took the right turn to get the route....
Hosur--> Raikottai--> Palacode --> Pennaguram --> Hogenakkal
This route may be a 20 KM extra, but the route was very good and the drive was very plesant. Only problem is we started without the having breakfast but could not find any resturant on the way. my kid was lucky to have some stock of his food with us.
Reached Hogenakkal at 10:15.
On the way the forest checkpost ticket was taken for Rs 30 (with receipt) and as soon as you enter the baricade a guard come and ask us if we are returing the same day and charge us Rs 10 (no receipt). On reaching we had to pay Rs 20 for the car parking.
many locals approach us offering the Coracle ride. had breakfast from a local hotel
Walked around and saw the place.. went to the river shore and bargained the coracle ride from somewhere upstream of the river visit both the karnataka and tamilnadu falls and spend some time in the water for Rs 550.
The Croaclewalla called a Mini-Tempo(Auto-lorry) on which we climbed the hill and started of on the coracle. the ride was very good with some jerks and jumps to make it more exiting. Stopped at the Karnataka Falls and spend some time there. walking on the rocks with my 3 yr old was little difficult, but the Coraclewalla was very helpfull. Then went to the shore and walked for 5 mins and started the 2nd part of the journey on the coracle.. saw Tamilnadu falls.. the went to the hanging bridge walking.

Alltogether, the place is very good came back to the car at 3 PM, very hungry and wanted to eat the fish. They sell fish fry allover. hought to have the lunch with fish from hotel tamilnadu.. but they didn't have fish. had meals from there and started back on the same route to Bangalore. had to take the same route as I could not find the way via Denkanikottai.
Enjoyed the trip and feel sorry that I could not go there earlier sometime.
thanks to all who advised to go for it and it is safe to go with kids.

A very good getaway from Bangalore.
Old 28th December 2009, 18:59   #38
yvjanard

planning a trip to hogenekal

28Dec09:

Am planning to go to Hogenekal this week with family. Is it worth going there at this time of the year. Going with expectations of an average kind of water falls and flows, though the best time may be around August. Has anyone gone there during the last week or so.

Old 29th December 2009, 02:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvjanard View Post
28Dec09:

Am planning to go to Hogenekal this week with family. Is it worth going there at this time of the year. Going with expectations of an average kind of water falls and flows, though the best time may be around August. Has anyone gone there during the last week or so.
This is not a bad time as the weather will be cold (by TN standards ) but as you said dont expect heavy water flow.

no harm in trying that out. you can have a peaceful coracle ride on not so violent water.

Abhi
Old 5th February 2012, 13:52   #40
BHPian

Re: Weekend Travelogue: Hogenakkal Falls, TN

Dear all, We are planning to visit Hogenekkal on Feb 3rd weekend. How will be the water falls at that time? What is the usual rates for the Coracle ride per person? Do they provide any water safety gadgets? Is there any facility for the morning chores as we will be reaching there after a night ride fron Thrissur? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by ontheroad : 5th February 2012 at 13:59.
Old 6th February 2012, 10:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Dear all, We are planning to visit Hogenekkal on Feb 3rd weekend. How will be the water falls at that time?
Wont be frozen for sure . Decent amount of water flow though.

Quote:
What is the usual rates for the Coracle ride per person?
Depends on the size of the group. IIRC for a group of 4 they usually charge close to 700 bucks. You can bargain based on the number of people in the group and the time you are gonna spend.

Quote:
Do they provide any water safety gadgets?
None as such.

Quote:
Is there any facility for the morning chores as we will be reaching there after a night ride fron Thrissur? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Naada none . If it suits you, stay over at Dharmapuri and then do the Hoganekkal trip.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 17:08   #42
BHPian

Route Update:
Had been on a weekend ride to Hogennakal. 4 guys, 2 bikes.
Took the Silkboard-Hosur-Denkannikottai-Anchetty-Hogennakal route. Total Distance ~~140 kms from Marathahalli

Scenic, well laid, curve and peaceful, the trip was made more enjoyable due to the excellent roads leading up to Hogennakal.
Except for a bad patch of 5 kms 20 km's from hogennakal where we had 2 punctures on a single tyre(2 nails and a piece of bone, would you believe), the ride was truly enjoyable with all the twisties, vast expanse of farmland on either sides, some hairpin curves and the excellent weather we were lucky to receive.
I happened to ride to Chaikka Tirupathi the next day via Marathahalli-Hopefarm route and realised that we can reach hosur via that route too though the distance would be a tad higher in this route. Would recommend this route as I had great fun riding through the curves with the wind in my hair and absolute peacefulness of the roads.
Roomy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Route Update:
Took the Silkboard-Hosur-Denkannikottai-Anchetty-Hogennakal route. Total Distance ~~140 kms from Marathahalli

Scenic, well laid, curve and peaceful, the trip was made more enjoyable due to the excellent roads leading up to Hogennakal.
Except for a bad patch of 5 kms 20 km's from hogennakal where we had 2 punctures on a single tyre(2 nails and a piece of bone, would you believe), the ride was truly enjoyable with all the twisties, vast expanse of farmland on either sides, some hairpin curves and the excellent weather we were lucky to receive.
What is the current rate for the coracle ride? I am planning to go there tomorrow and is bad at bargaining.
Old 6th November 2013, 18:41   #44
BHPian

Sorry, saw this query a bit too late!!!

I dont know what the official rates are, but the guys over there charge about 950 rs for a coracle ride of approx 1 hr and if you want to spend extra time you'll have to tip the guy.
I had a feeling we got ripped off, but no complaints as we had a good time there.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Route Update:

Hello, Do you have any latest info on this route? Plan to take exactly this route, in a car. How much time you took to reach?

thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks