Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 17:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar

Hi Neville,

Wonderfull Travelogue. Simply Brilliant. Very nice pics.

and about the tip to start the TFort - What an Idea Sirji
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 17:42   #32
BHPian

Thank you Satan for sharing the wonderful trip that you made.I thoroughly enjoyed reading the experiences which you underwent and surely opened up my eyes to a few jugaads like the pressure cooker thing.

I must admire your guts to undergo a trip at this time of the year as driving on snow covered roads in the middle of now where and without any kind of backup support is really something.

But i guess thats what adventure is all about .And to have a hands on experience is something to boast about among friends over a couple of beers. I guess Gods alone are not crazy ,there are enough people on earth doing crazier stuff.

I am sure your T- log would help many a travelers who intend to visit Spiti ,make better preparations and enjoy their drive to the mountains.Thank you once again.

P.S.The snow capped mountains sure gave a feel that you were in Europe and not in 'apna bharat'.
Old 6th March 2014, 17:47   #33
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this wonderful TL satan. Looking at the engine start tips, isn't is risky to directly put a burning stove under a diesel tank?
Old 6th March 2014, 19:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Thanks for sharing this wonderful TL satan. Looking at the engine start tips, isn't is risky to directly put a burning stove under a diesel tank?

Hi Dodge_Viper,

The Thar driver here, is perfectly fine to put a stove below given the following caveats

1. A steel tank/skid plate is required
2. Need to open the fuel cap to prevent a build-up of volatile gas
3. Need to move around the stove every 5 mins or so

All pick-ups/truck drivers use a stove or wood to thaw out the diesel, as long as a close eye is kept on the stove it should be okay.

Cheers
HillyThar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 19:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi Neville,

Wonderfull Travelogue. Simply Brilliant. Very nice pics.

and about the tip to start the TFort - What an Idea Sirji
Thanks Raj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Thanks Dodgeviper. No its not risky as diesel is inherently not very flammable. But yes, you never want to put that under a petrol tank for sure
satan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 02:23   #36
BHPian

Fantastic TL Satan! Necessity is the mother of invention! The pressure cooker idea to thaw out the diesel is one helluva thought! You should patent it! Your photographs are awesome, especially the one of the frozen waterfall.
Regards,
Ashok
Old 7th March 2014, 10:35   #37
BHPian

Amazing trip @Satan and @HillyThar. What a trip and absolutely stunning pictures, narration topped with a very well compiled video. I would love to share the video with my friends ad Family.

The thread deserves no less than 5*s.

Highlights for me were:
1. Using the Stove under Thar / Steam Spa treatment
2. The Poop arrangement and recyling.

Indian jugaad at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
- How big a risk would it be to just go with one vehicle vs two? I don't know many crazy fellows who would want to join us on a trip like this.
Buddy here is the address of one crazy guy called Funda. He does all sorts of crazy stuff and would be happy to give company at a very short notice (Allow me atleast a day or two to pack stuff ).
Funda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 11:25   #38
BHPian

Wanted to add another video to the post, I just managed to finish editing it. This is more from the point of view of the Thar, and is not a chronicle of the journey, its not linear, but more of how the drive felt.

In the initial part of the drive it just felt like the opening sequence from 'The Shining', so that became the inspiration for the video edit.

If you have the bandwidth watch it in HD full screen!

HillyThar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 13:08   #39
BHPian

Wow ! excellent travelogue. The information you guys have provided here will help most of us planning to do a similar trip in future.
I am suprised that you did not carry the anti freeze diesel liquids
Old 7th March 2014, 13:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Wanted to add another video to the post, I just managed to finish editing it. This is more from the point of view of the Thar, and is not a chronicle of the journey, its not linear, but more of how the drive felt.

In the initial part of the drive it just felt like the opening sequence from 'The Shining', so that became the inspiration for the video edit.

Excellent video.
What HT is that on your Thar?
Old 7th March 2014, 16:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Amazing description.The video you posted is awesome too.Very professionally made and as everyone said, the idea of using pressure cooker was simply great.

Waseem.
Old 7th March 2014, 17:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Excellent video.
What HT is that on your Thar?
Hi Akshay,

Glad you liked the video, its the Hyderabad Hard Top, it was flat packed and sent by Prabhu and his team to Mohali, where we assembled it together.

Cheers
HillyThar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 15:38   #43

Excellent video ... especially @ 1min 25 - 40 sec :-) ... The Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url
Old 9th March 2014, 03:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post

Great video Kartik. The last scene of the Maruti maniac coming along the bend at full throttle still freaks me out. That local did not even bother to slow down despite being on the valley side of the road and instead accelerated into the hairpin.
Old 9th March 2014, 04:23   #45
BHPian

Acknowledgements

This trip would not have been possible or even half as much fun without the help, company and guidance of the below
1. Rishad for his phenomenal company and of course organizing this trip and the logistics. The trip would not have materialized without him.
2. Kartik and Anu for being excellent travel companions. I have yet to come across such an enthusiastic couple like them that drove for 2000kms in a Thar over some really rough terrain, braved the cold, dust and terrain in their trusty Thar… and were always smiling – never a complaint or a protest. These guys took Rishad's briefing a bit too seriously and had come prepared with rations and clothing to be snowed out for a couple of weeks in Kibber . Many a times, Rishad and I would almost feel guilty sitting comfortably in the Fortuner with the temp set to a toasty 25degrees, while these two would rough it out in the Thar. Also the video of the trip would not have been possible had it not been for their vehicle and innumerable times we would have them stop to switch on and shut off the Go-Pro camera at the back of the Thar. Anu and Kartik you guys rock!!! Look forward to many more trips together…
3. Thakur Prakash sahib for the continuous route monitoring and valuable inputs on the road and climatic conditions day on day.
4. Karandip for the fantastic hospitality extended at Shimla and Chandigarh. Buddy its friends like you that make the world go around.
5. Teddy Uncle for watching out for us and checking on progress with full details daily, sitting out of chandigarh
6. Our trekking guide and Leopard trail spotter, Shri
7. All the villagers of Kibber that helped us start our vehicles that freezing morning with their ingenious cooker idea and thanks for the innumerable cups of tea that kept emerging from various houses every 15 mins to keep us warm in the freezing cold

Last edited by satan : 9th March 2014 at 04:30.
satan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks