Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 11:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Great video Kartik. The last scene of the Maruti maniac coming along the bend at full throttle still freaks me out. That local did not even bother to slow down despite being on the valley side of the road and instead accelerated into the hairpin.
The Road was snowed out completely and momentum is the key for a 2wd,you lose it and you get stuck;that is how locals tackle the terrain.
Old 9th March 2014, 12:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Great video Kartik. The last scene of the Maruti maniac coming along the bend at full throttle still freaks me out. That local did not even bother to slow down despite being on the valley side of the road and instead accelerated into the hairpin.

Wonderful. Of those of us who are planning to make the trip. This is is simply amazing.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Acknowledgements

This trip would not have been possible or even half as much fun without the help, company and guidance of the below
Satan,

Can we have detailed post on what types of gadgets you guys used for video capturing, GPS logging, walkies etc.

It will be great help for people like me who are travelling to Himalyas for first time, wanted to keep family informed/updated about our progress as well as wanted to capture gr8 memories.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 11th March 2014, 15:36   #49
Team-BHP Support

Wow! what a trip. Hats off to braving the cold. I don't think I can survive in such sub zero rooms without creature comforts. I guess for extreme cold, adding 5 liters of kerosene to diesel would be a good idea.
Old 12th March 2014, 00:02   #50
BHPian

This travelogue is simply unbelievable!! Pictures & Videos were just beyond belief. Hats off to your courage for making such an extraordinary trip!
Old 12th March 2014, 00:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Satan,

Can we have detailed post on what types of gadgets you guys used for video capturing, GPS logging, walkies etc.

It will be great help for people like me who are travelling to Himalyas for first time, wanted to keep family informed/updated about our progress as well as wanted to capture gr8 memories.

Thanks,
Vishal
Sure Vishal. We had the following pieces of hardware and Kartik please add anything I may have missed..
1. 3 Gopros mounted at different places on the Thar and Fortuner across the trip. Given how quickly the Go-Pro battery runs out of charge we also had 2 spare batteries that were constantly charging in the car. we had also carried additional micro cards for capturing as much footage as possible
2. Each one of Kartik, Rishad and I had our respective cameras
3. Rishad also used his Note 3 to shoot photos and videos extensively
4. Kartik carried along a set of walkies and also a BSNL card that worked everywhere

We did not log GPS co-ordinates as we knew where we were going(or atleast we presumed we knew ). Also having 2 vehicles allowed for some great video shooting with Gopros doing what they do best..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wow! what a trip. Hats off to braving the cold. I don't think I can survive in such sub zero rooms without creature comforts. I guess for extreme cold, adding 5 liters of kerosene to diesel would be a good idea.
Thanks Tanveer. I have read about the kerosene treatment on the LCool forums (primarily for Toyota Landcruisers) but I wasn't prepared to take a chance messing around with the D-4D or the M-eagle engine at a place as remote as Kibber. I think its best to invest in a diesel antifreeze for any such trips in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus_500 View Post
This travelogue is simply unbelievable!! Pictures & Videos were just beyond belief. Hats off to your courage for making such an extraordinary trip!
Thanks Columbus. Honestly and I've said this before, its all about the company ie friends you travel with that make the difference on a trip like this... Travelling with like minded individuals and mutual respect for each other are more important than courage to make any road trip a success.
satan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 01:30   #52
BHPian

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar

Quote:
Thanks Tanveer. I have read about the kerosene treatment on the LCool forums (primarily for Toyota Landcruisers) but I wasn't prepared to take a chance messing around with the D-4D or the M-eagle engine at a place as remote as Kibber. I think its best to invest in a diesel antifreeze for any such trips in the future.

Back in the early 90s with unsophisticated diesels and questionable petrol, we used to run on near empty fuel tanks when nearing a night halt. Emergency fuelling was done in "ration" mode with the newly launched 2.5-3 liter castrol GTX cans filled with fuel so we knew we would have <10 liters in the fuel tank. Thus also meant vacuum or 'hawa" which required priming the fuel pump due to bad suspension and roads where 15 secs on a tilted drive was a guaranteed stall.

We carried one jerry can to the tent / room and tanked up with warm fuel in the morning. Also, duty man started and ran all vehicles for 2-3 minutes every hour. Our bigger problems were dead batteries and adulterated fuel.

Another practice was to fill the radiator with hot water in the morning.

Last edited by mustysekhon : 12th March 2014 at 01:36.
mustysekhon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 21:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustysekhon View Post
Back in the early 90s with unsophisticated diesels and questionable petrol, we used to run on near empty fuel tanks when nearing a night halt. Emergency fuelling was done in "ration" mode with the newly launched 2.5-3 liter castrol GTX cans filled with fuel so we knew we would have <10 liters in the fuel tank. Thus also meant vacuum or 'hawa" which required priming the fuel pump due to bad suspension and roads where 15 secs on a tilted drive was a guaranteed stall.

We carried one jerry can to the tent / room and tanked up with warm fuel in the morning. Also, duty man started and ran all vehicles for 2-3 minutes every hour. Our bigger problems were dead batteries and adulterated fuel.

Another practice was to fill the radiator with hot water in the morning.
Great ideas, thanks!
Old 15th March 2014, 12:06   #54
BHPian

Absolutely rocking video, one of the best seen here. Crazy photographs of the TFort and Thar. None of the car required snow chains on such heavy snow is rather an accomplishment by itself. Hats off to you guys.
Old 16th March 2014, 13:53   #55
BHPian

A clutch of pics of stretches of the terrain along the way shot from the Go Pro set to capture frames every 30 secs. Gives an indication of what surfaces you can expect to drive on in winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0070064.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0080076.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0080078.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0080079.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0090101.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0090104.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0100107.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0110116.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0110119.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0120132.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0150147.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0150150.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0160159.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0170164.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0180167.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0200179.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0210185.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0230225.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0250245.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0250248.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0270302.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0270303.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0280309.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0280312.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0290319.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0290320.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0300332.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0300339.jpg  

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-g0310349.jpg  

satan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 01:18   #56

An awsome travelogue @SATAN & HILLY THAR, you guys simply made my Sunday and Holi a one with new experience & inspired me to attempt this very soon. As i might be going there in 1st half of july, i would like to ask Hilly Thar weather it is necessary to have A/T tyres, i own a Thar Crde & apart from tyres what other precautions should be taken...
Thanks!
Old 17th March 2014, 18:32   #57
BHPian

Hi Kanranvir, the Thar had the Continental Cross Contact AT tires and the TFort had the Bridgestone Dueler H/T. We went across slush, mud, gravel, fresh snow, packed snow and tarmac. As long as you have good tread your standard tires should work fine.

You can of course get A/T tires, they work great on gravel and mud, though on slick tarmac the braking distance may increase a bit, and in July it would be raining at quite a few places. Do keep spare bulbs for the headlights and for the fog lamps, as there can be heavy fog in places.

A rear defogger would have been a blessing in the Thar (Hyderabad Hard Top), sadly there isn't even an air vent for the front windshield, I have seen a bolero where an extra windshield facing air vent has been carved out, I plan to do something similar before this monsoon.

Satan has exhaustively outlined the requirements in the first few post itself, just eliminate the deep winter gear from it. In July the weather shall be great and lots of shops/home stays that were closed when we went will be open, giving more options for meals and stays.

For the Thar keep a box of fuses, an air compressor, a tubeless tire repair kit, some fluids (coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, a litre or two of engine oil) handy. Check your radiator fans, I also kept a small box of steel wire, assorted nuts and washers as well.

Satan please do add, since you have done this trip several times in summers/autumn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamvir30 View Post
An awsome travelogue @SATAN & HILLY THAR, you guys simply made my Sunday and Holi a one with new experience & inspired me to attempt this very soon. As i might be going there in 1st half of july, i would like to ask Hilly Thar weather it is necessary to have A/T tyres, i own a Thar Crde & apart from tyres what other precautions should be taken...
Thanks!
HillyThar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 22:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
the Thar had the Continental Cross Contact AT tires and the TFort had the Bridgestone Dueler H/T. We went across slush, mud, gravel, fresh snow, packed snow and tarmac.
Was there a noticeable difference in the grip (and performance) of these two tyres during the trip? I am evaluating the Contis for my Fortuner, so would be good to know.
Old 17th March 2014, 23:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Was there a noticeable difference in the grip (and performance) of these two tyres during the trip? I am evaluating the Contis for my Fortuner, so would be good to know.
I think its unfair to compare HT with AT tyre performance on the terrain we encountered during this trip. While the Bridgestones did everything we asked of them, they were definitely more prone to slippage as compared to the Cross Contacts on the Thar.

For your Fortuner it really depends on your driving. If I were you I would replace with the Dunlop Grandtreks that your vehicle came with as OE. I also understand that those tyres cost a ridiculous amount as they are direct imports. I suggest you go with the cross contacts as they would be a better bet if you do a mix of road and track driving as they come with stronger sidewalls being ATs. I think Jay (Jaysmokesleaves) has them on his Safari and is very happy with their performance.

One last suggestion. irrespective of the tyres you go for, replace just 4 and use the best tyre from your current set as a stepney. Invest the money saved on the 5th tyre to purchase a powerful 4x4 compressor (ARB,TJM, Endless Air, etc) and keep that in your vehicle permanently. Its an investment that'll pay for itself when you have a puncture in the back of beyond and you don't want to change the tyre. My too cents only...
Old 18th March 2014, 00:19   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Hi Kanranvir, the Thar had the Continental Cross Contact AT tires and the TFort had the Bridgestone Dueler H/T. We went across slush, mud, gravel, fresh snow, packed snow and tarmac. As long as you have good tread your standard tires should work fine.

You can of course get A/T tires, they work great on gravel and mud, though on slick tarmac the braking distance may increase a bit, and in July it would be raining at quite a few places. Do keep spare bulbs for the headlights and for the fog lamps, as there can be heavy fog in places.

A rear defogger would have been a blessing in the Thar (Hyderabad Hard Top), sadly there isn't even an air vent for the front windshield, I have seen a bolero where an extra windshield facing air vent has been carved out, I plan to do something similar before this monsoon.

Satan has exhaustively outlined the requirements in the first few post itself, just eliminate the deep winter gear from it. In July the weather shall be great and lots of shops/home stays that were closed when we went will be open, giving more options for meals and stays.

For the Thar keep a box of fuses, an air compressor, a tubeless tire repair kit, some fluids (coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, a litre or two of engine oil) handy. Check your radiator fans, I also kept a small box of steel wire, assorted nuts and washers as well.

Satan please do add, since you have done this trip several times in summers/autumn!
Thanks a ton for the piece of advice sir!
A slight change of dates as we might be travelling around 12th of may,i have made a list of things you guys mentioned,as it would be my first trip by the Thar, a little nervous about the performance,but ready to face the challenges

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks