Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2014, 15:53   #76
BHPian

Re: Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Lovely TL, absolutely stunning pics.

Hats off to all of you to brave the weather, adventure has a price and you guys seem to have swiped off to glory!

By the way, also read parts of this TL (minus the Thar) in the May edition of Top Gear.

The pictures printed on glossy sheets make the snaps even more breathtaking!

Awesome stuff satan! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Trojan
Thanks Trojan. Yes the May issue of Top Gear carried the same story by Rishad Saam Mehta who was the principal organizer and planner of this trip.
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:13   #77
BHPian

Excellent T-log! I'm planning on doing a circuit next year. My first trip in the Himalaya's was in June, 2012. We did a 15 day trip but since it was my first time and I accompanied friends who were on their third or fourth trip to Leh, we didn't do any inner and remote villages etc. Hopefully, I will chart out a route plan for the next trip and include many of the other remote locations.
Old 14th November 2014, 16:39   #78

Satan,

amazing travelogoue/pictures & videos, you have pushed me to plan a trip in feb 2015 mostly around 14-15 Feb, is it a good time to plan this trip? Also, my expert friend had done this trip earlier in April and Nov in his swift petrol but do you think swift can run on the terrains you experieced? I also have doubts so thought of asking you

We are also planning to go till Sangla valley and from their a trek to chitkul village.

please share your thoughts on this
Old 14th November 2014, 18:39   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilsharma208 View Post
Satan,

amazing travelogoue/pictures & videos, you have pushed me to plan a trip in feb 2015 mostly around 14-15 Feb, is it a good time to plan this trip? Also, my expert friend had done this trip earlier in April and Nov in his swift petrol but do you think swift can run on the terrains you experieced? I also have doubts so thought of asking you

We are also planning to go till Sangla valley and from their a trek to chitkul village.

please share your thoughts on this
Thanks Sahil. We did this trip in two 4x4 vehicles second week of Jan. This trip can easily be done in November as most of road is cut below the snowline except for a few places like Nako. I would not recommend you doing this in a Swift (esp if alone) in Feb. Early/mid April would be ideal depending on the weather forecasts and you would also have a few resorts open in Sangla by then. Chitul in Jan/Feb will be submerged in 8 ft snow..
Old 8th January 2015, 00:10   #80
BHPian

Hello Sir,

Please check the below link you can find your post pics are used. Hope you are the same person.

https://www.facebook.com/Erica.Estre...=1&pnref=story
Soumik Ghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 16:59   #81

Hi guys,
I am driving with couple of friends to kaza / kibber from mumbai in feb end. We will be driving Dec 2013 model of mHawk 2.2 ltr 4wd Scorpio. I would appreciate your help on the below points -

1. Considering that the temperature goes down upto -25, what sort of preparations need to be done for the vehicle?

2. Which grade of various oils such as engine oil, brake oil, coolant and whatever other fluids/oils need to be procured?
And where it can be procured in mumbai?

3. There are good chances that oil / diesel freezes up in that bitter cold climate, how to avoid it getting frozen?

4. How to start the car in case it is frozen?

5. What are the chances of battery getting drained and not able to give a start?

Thank you.
Old 9th January 2015, 17:30   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Day 1 & 2: Delhi - Pooh

The first two days were quite uneventful and we hardly stopped for any pictures as the drive was very ordinary and mundane.
==============
Few pics from the first 2 days
------------------------

Hi Satan,
First of all, thank you for your post on the winter trip which has inspired us to make the a trip to Narkhanda /Chitkul at the end of this month in a Fortuner (4x4) & a Pajero.
My question is regarding the snow chains- I'd appreciate it if you could share the number & address of Vijay Parmar who made the snow chains- also, can you tell us how many days did it take to make the chains & the cost? Or if there is anyone you know in Bombay who makes the chains that would really help.
Thanks in advance,
Nariman
Old 9th January 2015, 18:37   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nariman View Post
------------------------

Hi Satan,
First of all, thank you for your post on the winter trip which has inspired us to make the a trip to Narkhanda /Chitkul at the end of this month in a Fortuner (4x4) & a Pajero.
My question is regarding the snow chains- I'd appreciate it if you could share the number & address of Vijay Parmar who made the snow chains- also, can you tell us how many days did it take to make the chains & the cost? Or if there is anyone you know in Bombay who makes the chains that would really help.
Thanks in advance,
Nariman
Hi Nariman

Vijay's number is +919816004137. he made us a pair for the front wheels that cost INR 7000. We had asked him to make them a week before we reached. I am unaware of anyone that makes them in Bombay.

We just returned from Narkanda in my 101 and did not need the chains as it wasn't snowing and roads were cleared with just a few corners that had sleet. Goodluck with your trip!!
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 18:59   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDreamz View Post
1. Considering that the temperature goes down upto -25, what sort of preparations need to be done for the vehicle?
1. Ensure your cabin heater is operational to keep occupants warm incase you are stuck up without shelter
2. Battery needs to be in great shape. The extreme cold will drain your battery quickly
3. I am unsure what material your fuel tank guard is made of. If metal pl carry a kerosene stove that you can place directly under it. If plastic you should add a pressure cooker and an LPG gas pipe to steam the tank after boiling water in the pressure cooker and replacing the whistle with the lpg pipe.
4. Starting the vehicle every 6 hours will help prevent diesel from solidifying. Whenever you park try and place the car in a corner so that at least two sides of the vehicle are close to walls (wherever possible). irrespective of where you park cover the engine compartment and radiator grill with an old blanket as soon as you park the vehicle.
5. The attendant at the IOL pump in Kaza isn't always present at the site so ensure you tank up at every opportunity you get post

Quote:
2. Which grade of various oils such as engine oil, brake oil, coolant and whatever other fluids/oils need to be procured?
And where it can be procured in mumbai?
Regular engine oil as prescribed in your owners manual should be fine. Just ensure coolant (anti-freeze) isn't diluted too much

Quote:
3. There are good chances that oil / diesel freezes up in that bitter cold climate, how to avoid it getting frozen?
Point 4 above

Quote:
4. How to start the car in case it is frozen?
Pt 3 above. If the tank guard is made of plastic pl refer prior posts where we used a pressure cooker with a LPG gas pipe.

Quote:
5. What are the chances of battery getting drained and not able to give a start?
Very real chances so pl refer pt 2 above.

GOODLUCK!!!
Old 9th January 2015, 19:01   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumik Ghosh View Post
Hello Sir,

Please check the below link you can find your post pics are used. Hope you are the same person.

https://www.facebook.com/Erica.Estre...=1&pnref=story
Hi Soumik,

These aren't our pics but appreciate the heads up..

Neville
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 19:33   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
I am driving with couple of friends to kaza / kibber from mumbai in feb end. We will be driving Dec 2013 model of mHawk 2.2 ltr 4wd Scorpio. I would appreciate your help on the below points -

I drove to Kaza in my XUV last April, lowest temperatures at that time were -10c.

Since XUV comes with Glow plugs and has much better cold start ability compared to Scorpio/Xylo we did not face any issues. But other vehicles- Ecosport and Innova were more difficult to start in the morning.

I was carrying few bottles of antifreeze, but did not have to use them. Bought them from Snapdeal. Also, remember to add anti freeze to windshield washer.
Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-dsc00170.jpg

Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar-dsc00171.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 14:44   #87

Hi, it must have been an amazing experience. My friend and I are planning a trip to Kalpa and Nako this January. We plan to drive a Maruti A-star and wanted you advice on snow driving...

Any tips will help...

Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 23:02   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
Hi, it must have been an amazing experience. My friend and I are planning a trip to Kalpa and Nako this January. We plan to drive a Maruti A-star and wanted you advice on snow driving...

Any tips will help...

Thanks
Hi Eagle1,

I've mentioned a couple of pointers in my opening post before the video. Since you are taking the A star, there's one less issue for you to worry about (diesel freezing). Also given the A star is a front wheel drive you should not have too many issues with snow driving. Just ensure tyres have sufficient tread and stick to pre-existing tracking on the road. Also while in Shimla check the weather forecast for the next 10 days before you set off. Finally and most importantly be ready to get held up for a couple of hours/days on account on sudden snowfall or landslides and carry sufficient provisions with you. With the right attitude and company you will have a blast as valley will be beautiful next month.

Goodluck!!

Neville
Old 25th December 2015, 23:54   #89
BHPian

A fantastic travelogue and kudos to you guys for having such a passion and spirit to take on this challenging journey. Take a bow.
Old 8th January 2016, 16:20   #90

Awesome Travelogue. Spiti is on top on my list. I have been to Shimla-Kulu-Manali, but your travelogue have completely changed my perception of the Himalayas. Very dearly want to make this dream come true one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I was carrying few bottles of antifreeze, but did not have to use them. Bought them from Snapdeal. Also, remember to add anti freeze to windshield washer.
Hi @.anshuman : Do you know as to how much amount of antifreeze should go into the tank?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks