Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 23:02   #1
BHPian

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford

The following travelogue was composed after fulfilling one of my long cherished dreams, back in November 2011. Thought of sharing the same with fellow TBHPians.

Prelude :

Few years back, chanced upon watching 'The Bucket List'. The movie made me think about creating my own 'Things to do before I die' list. So I created my own Bucket list which, at that time consisted mainly of things that I wanted to happen at that moment of time. But there was one among that list that just came into my mind the moment I started writing down that list. And it had nothing to do with anything that I wanted to happen at that time.

About a year ago, me and my wife were discussing things that we would like to do at least once in our life time. When asked about my individual 'dreams', the same one came back instinctively.

No wonder it is called 'The Theater of Dreams'.

Sunday 06 Nov 2011

As luck would have it, I got a chance to visit the UK this year. And the dream just kept getting closer to reality. But, I had to come back from the UK twice, without fulfilling my dream. So when the chance came along for a visit to the UK for a third time, I had made up my mind – it’s now or never. The first thing I did after reaching my hotel in London - check the availability for the weekend to visit Old Trafford for its Museum and Stadium tour. And there was indeed a slot available at 11.30 am on 12-Nov-2011, Saturday. Didn't give it a second thought. Booked the tickets for the tour and immediately received my reservation number via email. Now had to book the tickets for the long journey from London to Manchester. It was nearly 160 miles, and the cheapest fare for the same was available for Virgin trains - starting at 6.30 am from London. Booked the tickets for the travel and got them printed from our client’s office.

Now I am all set and ready for the experience that I have been waiting for - all my life.

Friday 11 Nov : 10 pm

Lying in bed with my eyes wide open. Did I set the alarm at 4.30 am, did I set the second one at 4.35 am and then the third one at 4.40 pm ? Just in case the tiredness from a week’s work at the client office managed to get the better of me. Double checked the alarms and found that everything was set. Just needed to get a good night’s sleep. But couldn't - just laid there thinking about the next morning. Thankfully fell asleep after some time.

Saturday 12 Nov : 4.24 am

Suddenly woke up as if from a dream and frantically searched for my mobile. What's the time ? Phew - 4.24 only. Got up and disabled all the three alarms. Now I didn't need anyone to remind me to get up and get ready.

5.40 am

"I will come to your room at sharp 5.30 am" - I remembered my colleague (who accompanied me) telling me last night. Now its 5.40 am, where the hell is he ? Rang him up. "Sorry, just woke up. Will meet you at the hotel reception in 10 mins". Packed my bag - camera, tickets, additional sweater (was warned by colleagues at client's office that it is very cold when you move up north).

I was all set.

6.00 am

As is the case with every "10 mins", it was 6 when we started from the hotel to Euston station from where the train would start. It was 10 mins walk from our hotel. We managed to reach the station at the same time the boarding announcement for our train was being made. Boarded the train and managed to find our seats. The train started at 6.36 am and it was announced that we would reach Manchester Piccadilly at 8.45 am. I was feeling sleepy and soon began to snore away. Just as I was coming into the rhythm, the Train manager (aka TTR) came for inspection. Handed over the printed e-ticket to him. He gave us a smile and said "No body uses printed ticket these days, mate".

8.45 am

The journey was nice - my spells of sleep disrupted twice - once by 2 pastries and a coffee (had bought the pastry on Friday to be used as breakfast and the coffee from the train) and the other by the beautiful country side on the way. I hadn't tried taking videos on my camera till now. But the scenery was so beautiful that I decided to take some videos. It was 8.45 am and we were about to reach the station. Quickly called up Mom to say that we had reached safely and that I would only call back after the tour. By 8.50 am we were standing in the Manchester Piccadilly station.

After enquiring at the station, was told that the best way to reach Old Trafford was by tram. Got the tickets and boarded the tram to Old Trafford. Reached the station. The sign board read - Manchester United Football club - 1000 m. Looking straight ahead, we could see a board - Welcome to Old Trafford. But hang on, where is the famous Sir Matt Busby Way ? Where is the Busby statue ? No it can't be. Took a closer look and found that it was the Old Trafford Cricket Stadium. But on the horizon, we could see glimpses of the Theater of Dreams.

From here on there won't be any detailed travelogue with time lines. The time from now on, is the time of my life. I will let the pictures do the talking. Will come up with a few words where needed, in between. So enjoy the tour !

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1771.jpg

Train ticket from Euston to Manchester.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1773.jpg

Details of the train to Manchester. Note the start time - 6.36 am and it took off precisely at that time !

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1775.jpg

Thank you Mr. Branson - for the high speed trains.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1792.jpg

Manchester Piccadilly station.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1796.jpg

Inside the tram to Old Trafford.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1799.jpg

Old Trafford station - first sight awaiting us at the station is the direction to Old Trafford.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1802.jpg

Long walkway to the Theater.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1803.jpg

The sight of this board brought a big smile on my face - just 1000 m separates me from my dream.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1804.jpg

Looking back at the station.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1807.jpg

Old Trafford cricket ground.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1810.jpg

Sign board to Old Trafford.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1812.jpg

The roads leading up to the stadium were immaculate.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1821.jpg

First glimpse of the Theater.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1825.jpg

Pub.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1826.jpg

A series of shops - all painted in Red. (as if that was a surprise)

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1830.jpg

The famed Sir Matt Busby way.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1838.jpg

We were bustling with excitement at this sight.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1840.jpg

THE THEATER OF DREAMS !

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1842.jpg

The entrance enclosure adorned with player posters.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1848.jpg

My version of the famous picture of the 'United Trinity' overlooking the Old Trafford.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1854.jpg

Statue of Sir Matt Busby.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1856.jpg

No longer a dream. There I was - just taking in the sight, overwhelmed and absolutely delighted

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1870.jpg

Museum and Stadium tour pass.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1872.jpg

At the entrance of the museum.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1873.jpg

First section of the museum is dedicated to two of the modern day greats - first being Scholes

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1878.jpg

and next being Giggs.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1888.jpg

Envy of other clubs ! This is just one of the many cabinets filled with trophies.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1896.jpg

This is just Sir Alex's trophy cabinet. Most of the clubs don't have these many at their club trophy cabinets.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1900.jpg

Champions league medals (the center one being the winners medal from 2008 - Moscow Final)

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1918.jpg

Any guesses ? this is the cast worn by Wayne Rooney when he was injured before the World cup.

Last edited by Anoop_SG : 4th April 2014 at 00:56.
Anoop_SG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 23:14   #2
BHPian

Re: In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1930.jpg

Wall with names of all players who have played for Man Utd in the order they arrived at the club.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1933.jpg

'Knocked them off their Perch' - 19 titles and counting. (this was back in 2011, now its 20 and counting)

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1934.jpg

Posing with the trophies.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1940.jpg

The famed red shirt and its evolution over the years.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1941.jpg

This shirt is awarded to the player who performs the worst in training sessions and was first awarded to Gary Pallister (hence the name) - some big names in the list !

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1954.jpg

A tribute to Sir Matt Busby.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1969.jpg

'What its takes' - a short video tour of life at Man Utd.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1971.jpg

An awesome experience - an interactive video of Sir Alex sharing his experience at Man Utd from his office.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1975.jpg

The commentary that echoes in every United fan's ears - "Manchester United have reached the promise land" - THE TREBLE - 1999

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1979.jpg

First view of the pitch.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1980.jpg

The home section of the stadium - The Stretford end.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1982.jpg

Stadium pic 1.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1984.jpg

Stadium pic 2.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1985.jpg

Stadium pic 3.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1987.jpg

The impossible dream made possible - Sir Alex Ferguson.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1993.jpg

Stadium pic 4.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_1998.jpg

May 21, 2008 Champions League Final - Moscow.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2001.jpg

Munich tunnel - opened in memory of players who lost their lives in Munich Crash.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2003.jpg

The Munich clock replica - this one shows the actual time.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2007.jpg

The flame still burns.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2009.jpg

History of the Busby Babes.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2011.jpg

This is the Munich clock showing the actual time of the tragedy that was to shape Manchester United.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2012.jpg

An interesting fact shared by our guide.
All players in red were the ones who lost their lives in the crash. They form a triangle in this photo. The person in black, sitting in between missed the flight by 5 minutes and survived.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2017.jpg

The match line up for the first match after the Munich disaster.
Notice that the Manchester United team sheet contains no names as the club had no idea who were going to play in that game.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2019.jpg

Way to Players changing room.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2020.jpg

Players Lounge entrance.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2023.jpg

The players and their close family members gather here before every game.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2024.jpg

The board shows the international and club stats of all players who played for Man Utd.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2028.jpg

Home dressing room entrance.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2029.jpg

The dressing room - the shirts are placed in the seat preferred by each player. Felt wonderful to be standing in the room graced by some of the greatest players.

Last edited by Anoop_SG : 4th April 2014 at 00:38.
Anoop_SG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 23:24   #3
BHPian

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2037.jpg

The way to the tunnel - it is lined with the pictures of the 12 title winning moments of Manchester United in the Premier League.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2044.jpg

First glimpse of the tunnel.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2045.jpg

This is the tunnel leading to the pitch from the Stretford end.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2049.jpg

Man Utd always lines up at the left side so that they enter the pitch facing the home fans at the Stretford end.
We were asked to line up before the guide played the audio that recreated the atmosphere of the match day - with commentary and the noise of a packed Old Trafford.
The most wonderful experience of my life ! Felt like a player waiting to get on to the pitch. This is the closest you can get to experiencing a match day kick off atmosphere.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2051.jpg

All set to walk out to the pitch.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2056.jpg

"welcome to Old Trafford, the Theater of Dreams and the home of the Champions - roooooooaaarrrrrrrrrr! "
The audio played as we walked out to the pitch.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2058.jpg

The stands at Stretford end.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2060.jpg

The lamps that are used to provide artificial sunlight for the pitch.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2065.jpg

The lamps that are used to provide artificial sunlight for the pitch -2.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2066.jpg

Stadium pic 5

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2069.jpg

Stadium pic 6.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2070.jpg

Stadium pic 7.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2072.jpg

Newly named Sir Alex Ferguson Stand to honor the Gaffer.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2074.jpg

Stadium pic 8.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2076.jpg

The Dugout !

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2078.jpg

This was created out of the old shoes of players. The entire floor in front of the dug out is paved with this rubber.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2081.jpg

Home dug out.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2083.jpg

Substitutes bench.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2094.jpg

Stadium pic 9.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2096.jpg

Stadium pic 10.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2101.jpg

With Dave - our tour guide. He is a hard core Man Utd fan and a bubbly chap. He was in his teens when the Munich tragedy happened and has witnessed the rise of Manchester United as one of the biggest football club in Europe. You could feel his passion from the way he enjoyed explaining facts about the club. Thank you Dave, for the experience.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2113.jpg

Just taking a moment to digest the experience ! - that's my colleague who accompanied me; obviously a Man Utd fan.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2134.jpg

Couldn't get enough of the sight.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2137.jpg

One final shot before we started our journey back.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2154.jpg

A night to remember - score sheet from the 1999 Champions League Final between United and Bayern.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2294.jpg

The certificate - given to all who has taken the tour.

In the Theater of my dreams - Old Trafford-dsc_2295.jpg

Says it all.
Memories that will always stay forever !

Hope you have enjoyed the tour - I have tried to be as comprehensive as I can be, without boring you. Please feel free to provide your feedback and comments which will enable me to improve in future posts/threads.

Last edited by Anoop_SG : 4th April 2014 at 00:35.
Anoop_SG is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 02:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 02:17   #5
BHPian

Wow that's an incredible travelogue. There wasn't much need for words as your pictures were brilliant!

I think it's time for me to complete my Emirates Experience then!

And just for the sake of banter, COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
Old 4th April 2014, 10:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Wow that's an incredible travelogue. There wasn't much need for words as your pictures were brilliant!

I think it's time for me to complete my Emirates Experience then!
Thanks Abel.

One of my colleague actually went to Emirates for the stadium tour, but backed off as the entry fee was too costly (around 50-65 GBP). I would also have visited Emirates and Stamford Bridge, if they weren't that expensive as I was staying in London during that period. The Old Trafford tour ticket price was only 15 GBP, so it was a no brainer.

Quote:
And just for the sake of banter, COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
Nothing much to cheer about this season for both of us - eh
Old 5th April 2014, 15:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop_SG View Post
Thanks Abel.

One of my colleague actually went to Emirates for the stadium tour, but backed off as the entry fee was too costly (around 50-65 GBP). I would also have visited Emirates and Stamford Bridge, if they weren't that expensive as I was staying in London during that period. The Old Trafford tour ticket price was only 15 GBP, so it was a no brainer.
That's an Arsenal theme - price the fans out of everything. Thankfully for me, I somehow got a great deal. Row 3 behind the Away Team dugout for just 32 GBP. Of course, the fact that we lost that game is a different matter altogether.
Also, I've been to Stamford Bridge. That place is an utter joke of a stadium, especially after you see places like OT and the Emirates.

Quote:
Nothing much to cheer about this season for both of us - eh
We're still in contention for the FA Cup and a CL spot. Haha.
Old 5th April 2014, 22:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
That's an Arsenal theme - price the fans out of everything. Thankfully for me, I somehow got a great deal. Row 3 behind the Away Team dugout for just 32 GBP. Of course, the fact that we lost that game is a different matter altogether.
Also, I've been to Stamford Bridge. That place is an utter joke of a stadium, especially after you see places like OT and the Emirates.

We're still in contention for the FA Cup and a CL spot. Haha.
Oh so you have already been to Emirates - I thought you wanted to visit Emirates - now I get it

If you're still in contention for FA cup, we are still in contention for Champions league !
Old 5th April 2014, 22:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop_SG View Post
Oh so you have already been to Emirates - I thought you wanted to visit Emirates - now I get it

If you're still in contention for FA cup, we are still in contention for Champions league !
Oh please :P
You're playing Bayern and we're playing Wigan. I think the odds are a hellua lot shorter for us :P
Old 7th April 2014, 11:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
You're playing Bayern and we're playing Wigan. I think the odds are a hellua lot shorter for us :P
You're playing a domestic cup aspired by clubs in lower leagues than Premier League and we are playing in Eurpoe's elite competition (even though only just)
Old 8th April 2014, 14:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

That was a great report, Anoop. Engagingly written, excellent snaps.

Well, those were the days,eh for the red devils?

Quote:
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 00:25   #12
BHPian

Great pics Anoop.THANK YOU!!!
Dr.Nishath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 01:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful travelogue Anoop!! It truly is a delight to take in the sight live.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 18:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
That was a great report, Anoop. Engagingly written, excellent snaps.

Well, those were the days,eh for the red devils?
Thanks mallumowgli. Those were indeed. But I am sure we will be back soon. Man Utd are now a club in transition. How soon we can come back is the key. Hope it's sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Nishath View Post
Great pics Anoop.THANK YOU!!!
Thanks Doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Thanks for the wonderful travelogue Anoop!! It truly is a delight to take in the sight live.
Thank you TorqueyTechie. It truly was an unforgettable experience. Especially when we lined up inside the tunnel waiting to come out on to the stadium, with the match day atmosphere recreated and played in the back ground. Still gives me goosebumps.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:24   #15
BHPian

Well it is for no reason that Old Trafford is called The Theatre of Dreams.
I have had quite a few chances to be there and watch it come alive on Match days.
The best memory I have of being there was during the 2012-13 season when Newcastle came calling on Boxing day.
What a match it was. Chichirato scored a late late winner to win it for us 4-3.
The most electrifying environment ever I have been part of.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks