Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2014, 00:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore

After parting away with my Padmini S1 couple of years ago due to lack of time to take care of it, the bug of owning my favorite car bit me again. Even with a classic car, I prefer it to perform well. It should drive crisply, be peppy and quick. I have always been a great fan of buttery smooth 118 NE gearbox. The only Padmini that fits the bill is the S1 variant. Peppy, quick and efficient and relatively young with the 118NE gearbox. Owning the floor shift earlier, this time choose to get a column shift. After all, column shift is unique. For me, be it any car, it should be a daily runner and should be good enough for a 3-4 day highway drives. The car should not make me think, should I really take this to work today as I have to be on time for a meeting? Should I really take this car for a family drive? I may sound silly to some of you, but that's my expectation. I believe if the car is in good order, it's reliable. Be it a year old car or a car that's 2 decade old. Yes, the probability of having issues on a 2 decade old car is higher. I dare to take the chances.

The search began. I told my Fiat 1100 Bangalore Club friends to be on a look out for a good S1. Something that did not need body work for at-least 2-3 years. For classics, this is the biggest head ache as you hardly find good options for body work to be done at reasonable prices. The works surely would cost more than the car itself. Its also the loss of time until it gets worked up.

The hunt began. Team-Bhp classified and OLX were frequented. Strangely there were just a few S1s available. Only 3 in Karnataka. One was from Mysore and sold. One other was in Davanagere, some 250km from Bangalore. The other one was in BTM layout and price was up the roof and dropped it. The description given by the person in Davanagere did sound great. Tried to get some more pics on Watsapp and couldn't. They weren't savvy enough. Then our Fiat friend Amith ES [KLUBCLASS] stays in Davanagere and offered to check the car. Even though he isn't too familiar with the car, he offered us to check anything we wanted. Asked him to simply take as many pics possible of interiors, floor, running board, wheel arches and engine bay. In no time he visited the car and gave is a truck load of pics. Amith, I OWE you one! But this car didn't meet our expectations. The search continued..

Pic of Davengere S1
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-dvg.jpg

Two S1s seemed as per our liking. One from Aurangabad and another one from Nasik.

The Aurangabad S1 was a single owner car, with good body but the engine was re-bored. Rest everything was fine. We tried to find some contacts (FIAT Friends) who could check out the car on our behalf. But no luck.

Pic of Aurangabad S1
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-aur.jpg

The Nasik S1 was a 1997 July model single owner car, 64000kms driven, bench seat, column shift with aftermarket AC. This S1 was most preferred S1 which was on sale. Spoke to the owner many times, he sounded pretty positive about the car, he maintained that car was in top condition and if driver is capable, then the S1 can be easily be driven to Bangalore. Now the hunt started to search for FIAT friends who could check out the car for us. Two of my FB Nasik friends were contacted for help, but they couldn't check the car for us. While I was casually discussing with our D-Bhpian and a good friend Parag Sachania, he quickly remembered that one of his relative - Mr. Ashok lives in Nasik and apparently is a mechanic who used to rally in FIATs before. Mr. Ashok checked the car for us in a day and gave a go ahead to buy this car!

By now, I had decided that the Nasik S1 is the one and decided to go ahead with the cash transfer to the owner. By 3rd December, I transferred the amount to the owner of S1. Booked tickets to Pune for 5th Dec for Arun and me. Informed our DIY Bhpian Ilango that we will be visiting Pune. He was happy to know this and offered to join us from Pune to Nasik to pick up the S1.

Preparation had started to get the S1 to Bangalore. Went to the spares shop, picked up all the regular spares needed.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-z.jpg

Interesting is that I purchased a set of 5 Punto rims (run about 30k) and tyres (run about 6k), even before buying the S1. I paid the Fiat friends from whom I purchased and kept the delivery pending. We had not even finalized which S1 we would by. Yet, I was too particular to run tubeless and hunt for rims and tyres started before the car itself.

Other interesting part is, we hadn't even seen the S1, but the amount transfer was done, spares purchased! Arun and me were all set to go to Pune and return journey of 1100 kms in the S1!!

Thanks to D-Bhpian Parag for helping me in checking out the Nasik Car. Bhpian Ilango for accompanying us with his 118NE to Nasik. Amazing hospitality by Ilango while he hosted us in his apartment. Bhpian Klub_Class for checking out the Davengere S1 and Bhpian Arun1100 for accompanying me for the Nasik trip.

Last edited by funkykar : 16th December 2014 at 13:56.
funkykar is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 00:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore

Here's the journey story of how Nasik's Premier Padmini S1 landed in Bangalore after the 1100 kms of driving.

On 5th Dec, Arun and me boarded the KSRTC Multi Axle Volvo! Bangalore's Majestic Bus Stand to Pune's Wakad/ Hingewadi flyover.

Arun, me and two bags of Padmini spares!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-1.jpg

Super sexy Multi Axle Volvo
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-2.jpg

View of the Volvo's cockpit from our seat. It was fun watching the Volvo being driven. Wish I too could get a chance to drive!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-3.jpg
funkykar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 00:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

In Pune with Ilango. Drive to Nasik.

We landed in Pune's Wakad area at 7:30am on 6th Dec. Bhpian Ilango picked us from the bus stop in his very original Premier 118NE.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-img_20141206_091547.jpg

On the way to his home, we had breakfast together.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-4.jpg

Reached his Apartment right next to the Tata Motors where he works.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-5.jpg

Spent an hour in his Apartment to freshen up. His home is full of classic car and scoot parts.

At 10:30am we started our drive to Nasik (200kms) in Ilango's 118NE.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-6.jpg

Single lane Nasik Road.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-8.jpg

Fuel stop at Shell.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-7.jpg

Quick photo session.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-9.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-10.jpg

Arun, Ilango and your's truly!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-11.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 14th December 2014 at 00:49.
funkykar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 01:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

1997 S1 - Finally we get to see it! Drive from Nasik to Pune of 200kms.

While we were on the way to Nasik, the mechanic Mr. Ashok called and informed us that the lunch was ready at his home!! His home and the huge garage is in the same Building.

At 3:30pm, we finally reached Nasik and we got the first glimpse of S1 in Mr. Ashok's garage.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-12.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-13.jpg

Yummy Gujarathi style lunch at Mr. Ashok's home.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-14.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-15.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-16.jpg

The S1 looked pretty good, as per our expectations. Mr. Ashok had picked the S1 from the owner on our behalf the previous day just to make the car highway ready. The coupler was changed. Oils topped up. At 5pm, Mr. Ashok and we all drove to the owner's home to complete the paper work.

By 5:15pm, we were back at the garage. Final checks for us to have a trouble free long drive.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-17.jpg

By 6pm, we started our journey back to Pune.
The happy moment - S1 and me for the first time!!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-18.jpg

S1 and the NE.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-19.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-20.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-21.jpg

Dinner stop!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-22.jpg

Misal Pav and Vada Pav for dinner!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-23.jpg

Finally reached Pune at 10:45pm - Ilango's apartment.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-24.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-26.jpg

Ilango's NE and Vijay Super!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-27.jpg

S1 and D-Bhpian Parag's Ertiga at Ilango's Apt parking. Parag too was in Pune and hence we decided to meet up.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-25.jpg

Ilango wanted to do a DIY of fitting new headlight relay as the relay was a bit cranky. Due to time constraints, we decided to skip this. Parag was with us till 1am and left to his Aunt's place. We were all excited and not very sleepy. Ilango, Arun and me kept talking cars till about 2am and dozed off..

Last edited by funkykar : 14th December 2014 at 01:18.
funkykar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 01:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

7th Dec - Drive to Bangalore from Pune. 850kms!

Its not too often that a classic car does a long drive. For us it was very clear and our primary choice was to drive it back. Never did we have any second thoughts about it. Some of our friends suggested we get the car in a truck. Mainly because, its 2 decade old and we dont know the history of the car and dont know how reliable it is. One other factor was, most of the components on the car wouldnt have been stressed and suddenly driving it for 1k kms?? Even before we were showered with such suggestions, our preparation for the drive was already done and our mind set.

After a decent sleep at Ilango's home, on 7th December, it was time for us to drive to Bangalore. A total of 850kms. By 8:30am we were all ready. Parag too was supposed to start by noon to Bangalore in his Ertiga.

Ilango accompanied us for Breakfast. We three drove triples, the most fun part of the Bench seat in a Padmini!
Image got mirrored - Bug!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-28.jpg

Yummy Poha!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-29.jpg

By 10am, we were on the highway - NH04!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-30.jpg

Bye Bye Pune and Ilango!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-31.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-32.jpg

Your's truly, again!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-36.jpg

90kmph was our standard speed.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-34.jpg

Beautiful NH4. Yummy strawberrys kept our hunger and thirst away.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-35.jpg

Selfie. This Image will make you go crazy!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-37.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-33.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 16th December 2014 at 14:01.
funkykar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 01:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Final leg - Lunch stop and our destination - Bangy!!

At 2pm, we stopped at the Sai restaurant, some 180kms away from Pune. So far, the S1 drove perfectly, and by now we were more confident of the S1.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-38.jpg

Our food!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-39.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-40.jpg

Padmini in the foreground and background too!! Was that Padmini going to Nasik from Bangalore?!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-41.jpg

Some scenic shots.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-42.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-44.jpg

Arun at the driver's seat.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-43.jpg

My favorite pic of this drive!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-45.jpg

Suvarna Soudha - Belgaum.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-46.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-47.jpg

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-48.jpg
funkykar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 02:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Final hours of our drive!

By now, we were 450kms away from Bangalore. It was evening, temperature was cool and getting dark. This was the perfect time for me to drive effortlessly as I love driving at night!

After having driven close to 500kms in this S1, three things were of high concern for us:
1. Decade old MRF Nylon tyres. We weren't very confident of these tyres.
2. On Hard braking, the S1 was pulling to the side.
3. Cranky head light relay.

Only issue we were facing by now is the headlight relay acting cranky. Even though the lights were off, the headlights were turning on automatically. To turn off, we had to turn on the lights and then turn off. Since the relay was cranky during final checks in Nasik, Ilango had warned us about this issue, but we were confident and ignored.

So by now, low beam was working fine, but high beam wasn't. Visibility was ok as roads were marked well. But to our surprise, another issue cropped up. This time the horns stopped working! But we continued our drive.

Low beam, marking on the road helped us.
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-1.jpg

We didn't stop for dinner, but continued our drive. Reaching Bangalore as early as possible was our priority. Only way to alert the vehicles ahead while overtaking was to on-off the headlights.

To our another surprise, at around 11pm, 130 kms short of Bangalore, while I was overtaking between two slow moving lorries from the middle lane, I again did on-off of the headlights. Suddenly the low beam too stops working! By now I knew it's not gonna be easy. We stopped the car aside. We knew Parag was an hour behind us. So we gave a call and alerted him of our issue and we told him we may require help. We also alerted the other DIY Guru - Ilango! We explained him the scenario of the lights failing as he was aware of the issue. To my luck I had enough spares and at this point I needed the spare wire. Ilango directed me ways to check if the relay was at fault or the fuse. Just then my mobile's battery went off and we had no light. We immediately connected the mobile power bank and mobile was on again and we used the torch from the mobile. After trial and errors, he finally instructed us to connect the headlights directly to battery. Voila, high beam were now on!!

After an hour's delay, at 12am 8th Dec, we continued our drive. By then Parag too joined us for the drive in his Ertiga. Since all was well, we told him to carry on driving at higher speeds. To make the last 100kms more pleasant, the horns too started working. We were totally surprised and laughed out loudly taking away all the tiredness.

Whatta wonderful drive this was!
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-51.jpg

Notes stacked up in the ash tray to pay for Toll! Lol
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-49.jpg

After Close to 16hrs of start of the journey, we reached our Bangalore home safely at 2am on 8th Dec.

Parked the S1 alongside my Linea.

Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-img20141208wa0004.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 14th December 2014 at 11:13.
funkykar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 02:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Videos of the drive

Here are two videos while we were driving along the NH4.

funkykar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 16:32   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!

Rating thread a well-deserved 5 stars
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 17:22   #10
BHPian

Re: In Pune with Ilango. Drive to Nasik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Bhpian Ilango picked us from the bus stop in his very original Premier 118NE.
Wondering how many would really agree with this .
Vividly explained every milestone in your S1 acquisition. Arun's beard shows significant growth between the first and last picture.
Glued to this thread & eagerly waiting for updates. All the best for your restorations and Wish the guardian angel be with you all the miles you make in this S1.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 17:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, never knew you would come up with such a wonderful write up for something we did over the weekend. It surprised me when you pinged me the link till I began reading!

Passion for classics aside, like I already said to you earlier, the effort and determination required to drive this one back home clocking 850+ kms (Pimpri-Bangalore) is commendable. All this considering the fact that we have super fast roads, faster cars, excellent AC and NVH levels, butter smooth operations and steering!

Old School brakes, NVH Levels, un-ergonomic seats, hard ABC Cable operated pedals, unreliable (by today's standards when it comes to doing such runs in one shot) and unexpected surprises like those you expected anyways are all those ingredients that can make you lose good temperament.

In short, Kudos to you and your partner for taking up this journey -of course the return journey!!

Though I have my very close relative at Aurangabad (you know better), their family belongs to CNBC and CNN Money type interests and asking them to check a car would be like asking Sunny Deol to dance.

Nashik was super co-incidental and I would have done anything that would have helped you grab this if all was well. Very close relative, Automotive Garage, acquaintance with Padminis - All this was good enough for me to refer him to you.

Glad that it indeed turned out to be a good car and you picked it up. As for the Gujju spread, I am sure it wasn't your first time . If you look forward to grub more, drive that S1 home!!

Pune-Bangalore:
Like Karthik mentioned, I was incidentally in Pune over that weekend and had to deliberately plan my return start as much late so that I can act as a back-up for Karthik and his partners.

We started from Home at 2am and drove sedately and kept getting regular updates. I was not at all surprised with the pace the S1 was progressing considering the roads and the drivers behind its wheel.

I was 60KMS away (Chitradurga bypass) when I got a SOS call when the lights failed. I started closing in your Whatsapp location and no sooner that I got inches closer, you called again to inform that everything was back on track.

Would have loved to escort the classic all the way home for the last leg (130 kms) but glad you asked me to continue. Darn, I wonder if I may have falled asleep at the wheel doing 60-70-80kmph.

Wish you all the best with this recent acquisition and as demanded, I would love to take a spin sooner.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th December 2014 at 17:49.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 17:46   #12
BHPian

Funkycar, thanks for the amazing rendition, you actually led me down the memory lane where I used to, back in 97-99, undertake journeys in my Premier Padmini, I guess it is a different experience altogether. I used to own a 1987 model Premier Padmini with bucket seats, floor-shift gear and an after market A/c fitted. Your narration has me having that little tinge of regret that I sold her off for a song in 2000 with 76000km on the odo. Thanks for sharing and wishing you many miles of memorable driving on your newly acquired ride
gops2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:32   #13
BHPian

Sweet sweet .

Congrats Karthik. I was aware that you are looking out for an S1 and I had planned to contact you sometime today just this morning. Like you had sold off your S1 due to lack of time to take care of it, I was thinking of selling off (but only to an enthusiast) my S1. I could think only of you since I was sure it wouldn't end up in the scrapyard (and also held a remote possibility that I will be able to buy it back at a later time hehe). And you know what, this post has made me change that decision. I am keeping my car.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:39   #14
BHPian

Lovely post to read. Your love for the classic could be sensed very easily from the posts and pics.

The ending was dramatic like a Bollywood Cinema with low beam and horn issues.

Honestly speaking I need to recheck the post dates as the pics were looking like vintage and rustic pics of yesteryears and I thought it may be sharing of stories of years down the memory lane.

And the pic of keeping toll cash change was iconic in the post and added a nice flavour.

Best wishes for road and journey ahead in your Classic S1.
utsav1303 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 19:46   #15
BHPian

Re: In Pune with Ilango. Drive to Nasik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
We landed in Pune's Wakad area at 7:30am on 6th Dec. Bhpian Ilango picked us from the bus stop in his very original Premier 118NE.

Arun, Ilango and your's truly!
Attachment 1318286
Is it because of your looks or the car or the way the snaps were taken? The snaps look so retro. awesome!!
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks