Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 13:18   #1
BHPian

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road

"The Sherpa, walking along the long, narrow ridge, was finally returning home from the long expedition on the mountain that had left him tired and weary. His shoulders were drooping, legs had grown weak and his steps fell wayward. He felt that he had reached Neverland and there was no way he could return home. After a turn through the last lights on the valley, he saw the first sight of the hamlet where he belonged. Someone was lighting up a lantern on their verandah, others were offering evening prayers. That very sight, created in him a strong disturbance. His heart skipped a beat in excitement; it was throbbing with joy. The warmth of home was all he had desired then. But then a thick wave of mist rolled over the ridge hiding everything from view excepting the silhouette of the Sherpa who marched along. And out of the mist, suddenly appeared a short, hairy man, a Bon Manchi, who walked at a rapid pace almost chasing the Sherpa. The mist grew thick and what transpired thereafter couldn’t be seen .But when the veil lifted, neither the Sherpa nor the Bon Manchi could be seen."

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-_dsc7432.jpg

Compelled by some factors (read budgetary constraints) and spurred by several North Bengal and Darjeeling travelogues (esp. 1100D – Thanks to you!) on an unusually dark and misty autumn, I decided on a motorcycle ride to Darjeeling to relive the place where I had last visited as a kid (one that I hardly remember).The two days in Darjeeling had left me high and dry, more so due to my preferences for places that are calm and tranquil, located in the middle of nowhere. Places, such as these, haven’t yet been exposed to the cannibalization. It is as if they are still left in the old ages and where the clock hadn’t turned forwards for a long, long time. These are the places of innocence and they serve their purpose well for city dwellers. So, while seated on the high stool at the bar of Joey’s Pub on the last evening in Darjeeling a though spurred – to spend a day in such a place. And the next day, I rode off solo to Tonglu on my motorcycle. And what an experience it was. It beat the Darjeeling hangover! So much has been debated on the road - its gradient, its overwhelming boulders, its gigantic switchbacks – that I couldn’t find a newer adjective to it…So I decided to name it “The Holy road of Hell”.

This travelogue, not being substantial, initially I hesitated in publishing it.. But on later thoughts realized that publishing this holds more quality than not publishing it and so here it goes.

Last edited by GTO : 30th November 2015 at 13:41. Reason: Spacing
sayakc is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 14:22   #2
BHPian

re: Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road

The rain at Rohini had washed the streets clear, over which the motorcycle hurtled and droned, sweeping and turning as its sides almost grazed the tarmac. I was riding in a valley, on the Rohini road to Darjeeling and watched with apprehension as darker, heavy clouds slipped into the valley from the top of the hill sides. Fresh sprouts of green leaves, terraced cultivation on the hill slopes, undulating tea gardens, blooming mustard fields and rain swept roads belied the fact that it was autumn. But as the cycle climbed higher up the slopes, I realized that the bed of clouds had settled in the valleys below and up here one could even see glimpses of the sun.

Kanchenjunga Massif From Tonglu
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-01_dsc7443.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-02_dsc7455.jpg

Tea Plucking
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-03_dsc7488.jpg

Toy Train At Batasia Loop
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-04_dsc7272.jpg

Fall Colours in the Singalila Ridge
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-05_dsc73622.jpg

Darjeeling Town
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-06_dsc7250.jpg

Tonglu Trekker's Hut
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-07_dsc7431.jpg

You see, travelling in a motorcycle is different from a car. There’s openness as opposed to containment. And that means you can actually touch, experience and see things more closely in a motorcycle. That draft of cold air hitting the face or those gloved hands getting frozen is the real thing which you can’t prevent. You are a part of the environment and your reactions are partially or completely dictated by it; unlike a car where you are always confined to a compartment.

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-08_dsc7399.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-09_dsc7361.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-10_dsc7451.jpg

Mists in Chitrey
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-11_dsc7470.jpg

At Kurseong, where the road merged into the Hill Cart road, the railway track appeared and continued alongside the path; at times it crisscrossed, reminding me of the tram tracks of Calcutta. Swelling traffic and jams after Sonada, more prominently after Ghoom, meant that we were entering town. And it wasn’t long before I reached the hotel. After a refreshing cup of tea and shower at the hotel, I went out for a long walk to the Chowrasta, with majority of the evening being spent at Joey’s Pub. It was followed by dinner at Glenary’s.

The next day remained thoroughly cloudy again and was spent on a visit to Tiger Hill, Batasia Loop and a walk on the mall and buying some souvenirs for the folks back home. Went off to Joey’s Pub yet again and that was when the thought of a motor ride along the Sandakphu route spurred.

Hills of Nepal
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-12_dsc7442.jpg

Darjeeling was highly touristy. Shops and modern outlets have found their way everywhere. And whereas the town was always throbbing with energy, its soul had apparently gone missing. And out of all observations, the scores of tourists and rows of vehicles that thronged the streets of Darjeeling stood out. Well, that was apart from the choking smoke of the vehicles and houses that looked to be heaped upon each other. But, Darjeeling was nostalgia. An addiction. Darjeeling, much like Calcutta, even after its multitude of shortcomings, grows on you over time. Like the moment, when the sun broke through the clouds on a hill dotted with coloured roof houses. Or on the undulating tea gardens a little further away. Or on a patch of pines on a hill top, where you could go for a picnic. And how can I escape without mentioning the fragrant tea, poached eggs, sausages and toasts in the balcony of Keventer’s or Chicken Sizzlers at legendary Glenary’s. Some of its Victorian era buildings or the still reminiscent “faux” colonialism stood out even after 68 years of Independence.

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-13_dsc7482.jpg

Striking a Camp Fire at Tumling
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-14_dsc7374.jpg

Young monk at Ghoom monastery
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-15_dsc7298.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-16_dsc7264.jpg

Mist filled tea gardens of Mirik
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-17_dsc7481.jpg

On the trail to Tonglu
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-18_dsc7458.jpg

As I went off to sleep that day, it was only good thoughts of Darjeeling that I had with me.

Last edited by sayakc : 29th November 2015 at 19:38.
sayakc is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 17:40   #3
BHPian

As I finally left the town on yet another foggy and wet morning after a last cup of tea and toasts at Keventer’s, there were strong impressions that Darjeeling left on me. And so, the motorcycle screamed down the road from where I could see patches of sunlight that lit up the valleys only to be replaced again by long spells of cloud. The cold cut sharply, right through the gloves and the nose tip had frozen by then. At Lepchajagat the darkness was so thick that cars had their fog lamps on. Manebhanjan was reached within the hour, where, after another cup of tea the uphill ride commenced.

Near Tumling
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-01_dsc7359.jpg

Conifers, as seen from Manebhanjan
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-02_dsc7334.jpg

Jannu. Also, known as Kumbhakarna. Famous for her strikingly steep face.
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-03_dsc7416.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-04_dsc7358.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-05_dsc7293.jpg

The road was metalled till Chitrey and swung steeply upwards, over which the motorcycle leaned brilliantly at the hairpins and pulled through effortlessly. But it was the journey from Chitrey to Tonglu that proved to be exceptional. A mere 9 km ride took more than 2.5 hrs. A couple of times it fell down – the second time being more severe when it had proved impossible for me to make it stand. For a moment I had seriously wanted to return, but help arrived in the form of a descending Land Rover driver. He helped me to make it stand and from there on there wasn’t an instance that went awry. Shortly before and after Lameydhura I managed to engage the 2nd gear for short stretches of 200 ft. And this was on a ride, where at times even the first gear prompted questions of being underpowered. The motorcycle, while in motion, felt wobbly and unbalanced over the loose boulders that a simple touch would have toppled it. But overall I was impressed with the cycle.

Dew on flower on an early morning.
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-06_dsc7447.jpg

Wild flowers on the way to Tiger Hill
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-07_dsc7310.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-08_dsc7414.jpg

Darjeeling Town
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-09_dsc7283.jpg

On the way to Rohini. The dark clouds later rained and resembled typical monsoon like weather for the next 3 days.
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-11_dsc7222.jpg

By the time I reached Tonglu, the mist had rolled back in with impunity, causing unnecessary delay in finding the home stay, where, after a hot meal of rice, dal, omelette and beans curry I sat on the chairs laid out on the verandah and wondered “what to do” and observed the fight between the mist and the sun for a while and felt that the sun was never going to win today.

In the late afternoon hours as the cold started to peak, the urge to buy some cigarettes and certainly to escape the gripping cold got over me. And I went for a short downhill walk to Tumling along a path that cut through an open ridge over which the wind was always howling. The clouds and thick mist felt sad and lonely. Dense junipers and trees had grown wild and the rhododendron bushes had turned brown due to the autumn. The valleys on either side were bucketed with clouds. And the sun appeared to be almost non-existent in the dense mist above. The forests that extended from the hill sides were red, brown, yellow and green. A folk of sheep was returning back home from the pasture lands. All of these represented Tumling, which until a few years ago had only a trekkers hut and a solitary homestay. But today boasts of quite a few houses.

Mustard fields.
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-12_dsc7232.jpg

Darjeeling Town
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-10_dsc7251.jpg

Kanchenjunga Massif. I had seen much better views from Goecha La.
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-13_dsc7412.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-14_dsc7256.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-15_dsc7449.jpg

The commercial break at Tumling was prolonged further by a long conversation with another trekker, which finally ended in lighting up a camp fire.The wind along the ridge remained ferocious and kept rising and it thwarted all attempts to lit up the fire initially. But later it relented and a big fire was lit, around which a dozen or so folks, most unknown to each other sat. And as the flames flickered wild and high, stories of ghosts in the mountain, shadows moving along ridges, foot prints of snow leopards, mythical birds, of treacherous snow, of the Kanchenjunga massif and its glaciers and crevasses lit up a story like, enchanting evening. By the time the glasses had been wiped clear and the session had ended, the wind had lost its force and it had turned pitch dark.

Sheeps returning from Pasture lands
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-16_dsc7360.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-17_dsc7337.jpg

Mists. On the way to Tiger Hill.
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-18_dsc7318.jpg

Armed with a pocket torch, I retraced the path solitarily. Somewhat afraid of Bon Manchis and wild predators that we had discussed only very recently. But then threw away the fears out of my head and instead concentrated on walking briskly. And at times to reassure that everything was well and fine, I kept looking back at the lights from the hamlet of Tumling. I continued to walk further till I reached a point where it felt strange and lonely. There was complete silence. It was cold, but not windy anymore. Beyond the silhouette of the stunted bushes and an undulating hill was the sky. The clouds had disappeared and instead it was a starlit sky of constellations –the Milky way and God that was a beautiful! I sat on a boulder by the road side and lit up a cigarette and watched the stars above. This place, right in the middle of nowhere remained the unhurried, calmest spot in an otherwise busy journey. This short walk reinforced the belief which I had carried for long. Walking should have been the way to explore this trail. Riding a motorcycle has been a sacrilege of sorts. The barking of a dog somewhere broke the moment of consciousness and reminded me to reach the Tonglu hut; where I came to realize that my absence had ticked off some frayed nerves. A couple of men had gone looking after me and I was severely rebuked for my acts.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2015 at 13:06. Reason: As per reported post
sayakc is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 18:13   #4
BHPian

We woke up to a gorgeous morning with the western face of Kanchenjunga range, high and mighty, right above us. Along the rows of blue hills, somewhere was Goecha La where I had been last year. The Western face of Kanchenjunga has two ridges emanating from it. The Southern ridge extends to Talung, Kabru (N & S, Dome) and Kokthang and finally ends in Rathong. The Northern ridge extends to prominent peaks and features, notably the Zemu Peak, Zemu Gap and on towards Simvo, Jongsong, Jongsong La, Nepal Peak, Lhonak Peak and Pyramid Peak amongst others. Also visible is Pandim. But its satellite peaks – Jopunu, ThinChenKhang were invisible due to the mist.

Riding towards Tonglu
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-01_dsc7336.jpg

Rathong, Kabrus, Talung, Kanchenjunga Main, Zemu
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-02_dsc7415.jpg

Flowers on road sides
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-03_dsc7224.jpg

Toy train at Batasia Loop
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-04_dsc7279.jpg

The grasses were wet with dew, a rooster crowed, brilliant fall colours had erupted with smell of pines. The helmet, kept on the motorcycle had become wet due to the mist. I have been through roads and place like these a countless number of times, but there is a newness which I feel every time that I can’t hide my smile. This is the great Indian outdoors that is impervious and unknown. The India of steel and glass buildings hasn’t yet found its way into these places. It is away from the daily banter, traffic lights and billboards and the glare of the media, newspapers or TV shows.

Instead, this is the India of highways, hamlets and fields of harvests. People greet. Strangers smile. Here, life breathes in little pauses. It has lesser needs and is a little less hungry. This is the part of our great country, whose stories we have heard from our forefathers, about its rich, immense and endless lands. It hasn’t lost its dense, winter fogs yet. Or the pouring rain. Wild flowers still grow on the road sides and cattle still strays away from their path here. That odd slow moving bullock carts ferry hay. Children still run after a moving car. And we travel for miles till we meet another soul. Roads haven’t found their way yet into the deepest of places. For someone travelling in these places for the first time, it is a shock that such places still exist. Few people know about it. And even fewer travel to these places.

View From the Rohini Road
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-07_dsc7236.jpg

Marigold at Batasia Loop
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-08_dsc7266.jpg

Mist filled forests
Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-09_dsc7314.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-10_dsc7429.jpg

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-12_dsc7420.jpg

Here I had felt that a purpose of the journey had been finally defined and it was time to leave finally, but not long before that arduous ride to Chitrey. Finally at New Jalpaiguri railway station, I loaded the motorcycle on an overnight train and returned back to Calcutta.

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-11_dsc7450.jpg

So that is where it ends.Here’s hoping for a more substantial journey in the future!

Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road-05_dsc7301.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2015 at 13:07. Reason: As per reported post
sayakc is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 13:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 30th November 2015, 17:11   #6
BHPian

Re: Tonglu: Wheels on the Holy Road

Sayak Da,

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on such a beautiful ride to one of the heavens of the east. Loved your narration as well as all of the photos. It reminded me of your Goecha La travelogue, and I opened and read that all over again. Pure bliss.
Btw, my favorite picture is the last one. The man and the mist and the road - Simply Magic! Wish you many more happy miles in the Himalayas

Last edited by RevvMusic : 30th November 2015 at 17:13.
RevvMusic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 17:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful narration and lovely pictures Sayak, solo rides are always so memorable. Hope I can muster the courage someday to do this.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 18:18   #8
BHPian

There are pictures which can make you cry or make you happy, however there are only few pictures that resonates with enigma, trust me your pictures especially the last one just hit that spot.

I was in two minds if I should do, Darjeeling/Sikkim or Bhutan in May, taking into financial constraints looks like Darjeeling/Sikkim is a better option.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 19:02   #9
BHPian

Beautiful narration and amazing pictures ! All the pictures posted by you, speaks volumes about Tonglu's divinity. I will definitely visit Darjeeling in the near future. Reading your travelogue reminds me words of a great soul. "The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been." When you travel alone, you discover yourself. You connect with the divinity inside you, it would rather be appropriate to say that you are in sync with the beautiful universe.
Brother, I completely agree with you when you say that nothing compares to riding a bike. Although I've always been a pillion and never learnt to ride a bike, I must say that the joy and beauty of riding a bike can never be compared to that of driving a car. Wishing you many more beautiful journeys ahead !!
Titanium is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 08:09   #10
BHPian

Once again, loved your narrative. The pictures are amazing as always. A bike does give you the freedom to explore and the cool mountain wind in your face does wonders. But never quiet got into the habit of riding a bike. Seems i am missing out on the joy and beauty of a solo ride. You surely do explore the himalayas better than most. So keep the posts coming and wishing you a lot more awesome miles ahead.
shantonob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 09:48   #11

A beautiful story with pictures to match !
It's true, a journey by a two wheeler is an experience by itself. You're literally soaking in the journey in more ways than one. But, a solo trip ? WOW ! Kudos to you.

Lovely pictures. Absolutely wonderful. Especially the last picture. You can enter the exhibitions. I'm sure it'll figure prominently.
TheMariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 11:36   #12
BHPian

Exceptional narration and some brilliant pirctures, as always though!
Riding a bike to such steep inclines requires some courage. Bravo!
But more importantly, the feeling of being in the lap of the Himalayas stays with you forever.

Rated 5*

Off Topic : It was nice to meet you and your ride in the middle of Kolkata traffic
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 12:02   #13

WOW!!! That was one hell of a ride... Discovering oneself in such calm and tranquil places, is something which we all crave to but hardly achieve. Kudos to you...

These pictures will definitely help you relive the memories down the years...
sankar8588 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 12:17   #14

What a superb poetic narration. Felt like I am travelling with you and your beloved bullet. Also took the falls with you and that lonely night scare. It was incredible. The way a travelogue needs to be. Timeshifting. Thanks brother. Expecting many from you.
PravStar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 12:27   #15
BHPian

Dear Subhodeep,
Thank you so much!
Unfortunately we couldn't meet up. But will surely look forward to do so sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
Sayak Da,
Let me be the first one to congratulate you on such a beautiful ride to one of the heavens of the east. Loved your narration as well as all of the photos.
Dear BlackPearl,
My folly! Apart from 1100D, I should have thanked you for showing the road to North Bengal and Sikkim hills. Looking forward to meet you in the Team-BHP Kolkata meets (unfortunately I haven't attended any of them till now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Wonderful narration and lovely pictures Sayak, solo rides are always so memorable. Hope I can muster the courage someday to do this.
Thank you Titanium! Glad that you have liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
Beautiful narration and amazing pictures!...Reading your travelogue reminds me words of a great soul. "The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been."
Chillout - you should do all of them!Since all of them are special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
...trust me your pictures especially the last one just hit that spot...I was in two minds if I should do, Darjeeling/Sikkim or Bhutan in May, taking into financial constraints looks like Darjeeling/Sikkim is a better option.
Dear shantonob
Actually riding a motorcycle is much easier. Just pick up one and head straight into the hills. Thats freedom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Once again, loved your narrative. The pictures are amazing as always.
Thank You TheMariner for liking the photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMariner View Post
A beautiful story with pictures to match !I... But, a solo trip ? WOW ! Kudos to you..

Dear Gearhead,
You car has become so famous that I couldn't help but knock on your window glass the other day .Heres hoping we will keep bumping into each other again. Thank you for the comments and the rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Exceptional narration and some brilliant pirctures, as always though...[/i]Off Topic : It was nice to meet you and your ride in the middle of Kolkata traffic
sayakc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks