Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2016, 15:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Uttarakhand calling: Drive to Kedarnath & Badrinath in a Maruti 800

could you check where can one get such emblems?
Old 19th July 2016, 19:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
could you check where can one get such emblems?
Uncle told me that he had got his prepared out of a memento which he had received during his service tenure. He also added that the most likely place for getting such emblems is Ambala Cantt. Nonetheless one needs to be an armed forces personnel and has to show the ID proof as well to get it prepared.
Old 20th July 2016, 11:16   #18
BHPian

Indeed a beautifully covered travelogue with some awesome pictures. I once visited Badrinath dham in my childhood and your pics did took me back in time. The pic with your car covered in snow was just another reminder of our journey. We had hired an Ambassador from Dehradun to travel to Badrinath. At Badrinath, the car was similarly covered under a thick layer of snow when we got up in the morning. It refused to start and i still remember how we managed to start after several rounds of pushing it on to the empty roads .
CarMind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 13:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
quick question: where did you get the Air Force emblem from? Considering the car is CH registered I'd hazard a guess that the car was bought when you were with 44 Sqn?

You would have been wrong there in any case Duke. The 44 Sqn moved out of Chandigarh long before SSambyal1980's car was registered in Chandigarh. Ssambyal1980 would have been two or three years old when 44 Sqn moved out of Chandigarh (Assuming that 1980 is Ssambyal's year of birth). Back then the Squadron was named the Himalayan Geese and flew the AN-12's. They graduated to the IL 76's and were rechristened the 'Mighty Jets' when they moved to their second home. The Mighty Jets then moved once again to a third location in 2002, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 20th July 2016 at 13:18.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 13:39   #20
BHPian

Sambyal Ji, truly fantastic achievement to complete your Char Dam Trip. Not for nothing Maruti is the most relied name among passenger cars in India. Fantastic pictures of snow covered Badrinath town. Congratualtions.
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 14:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMind View Post
Indeed a beautifully covered travelogue with some awesome pictures. I once visited Badrinath dham in my childhood and your pics did took me back in time. The pic with your car covered in snow was just another reminder of our journey. We had hired an Ambassador from Dehradun to travel to Badrinath. At Badrinath, the car was similarly covered under a thick layer of snow when we got up in the morning. It refused to start and i still remember how we managed to start after several rounds of pushing it on to the empty roads .
Thanks for the kind words of appreciation. Good to know about your Badrinath trip experience.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Back then the Squadron was named the Himalayan Geese and flew the AN-12's. They graduated to the IL 76's and were rechristened the 'Mighty Jets' when they moved to their second home. The Mighty Jets then moved once again to a third location in 2002, if I remember correctly.
Thank you sir for the useful insight into the operational history of IAF. The No. 44 Squadron is currently based in Agra and it operates IL-76MD Transport Aircrafts. At present the Chandigarh Air Force Station is home to 3 Base Repair Depot (Maintenance for Mi-8 & Mi-17 Helicopters) and also to 12 Wing (Comprising of Squadrons 15, 21, 25 & 48). The No. 15 and No. 21 are Fighter Squadrons operating Mig-21 Bison Fighters, whereas No. 25 and No. 48 are the Transport Squadrons operating An-32 and IL-76 Transport Aircrafts respectively.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Sambyal Ji, truly fantastic achievement to complete your Char Dam Trip. Not for nothing Maruti is the most relied name among passenger cars in India. Fantastic pictures of snow covered Badrinath town. Congratualtions.
Thanks Venkattji for the kind words of appreciation. You are absolutely right that Maruti Suzuki is the most relied name with a very strong and firmly anchored service network spread throughout the nation.

Regards.
Old 21st July 2016, 23:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
---
Reached Gaurikund by 1000 Hrs and after parking the car started for our trek towards Kedarnath by 1040 Hrs which was 14 kms away.

Attachment 1529408
Ssambyalji, firstly thanks a lot for the beautiful pictures. It was truly great and gives a feel as if seen and also instills the urge to be there esp. during younger age when body allows the treacherous trek. However, request you to kindly clarify, why it is shown as "2" for foot track. Is it that there is a longer 14km track which normally people take and 2km track is the different one for more adventurous people? Thanks in advance.
Jakku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Ssambyalji, firstly thanks a lot for the beautiful pictures. It was truly great and gives a feel as if seen and also instills the urge to be there esp. during younger age when body allows the treacherous trek. However, request you to kindly clarify, why it is shown as "2" for foot track. Is it that there is a longer 14km track which normally people take and 2km track is the different one for more adventurous people? Thanks in advance.
Thanks . The 2 kms mentioned is the distance to the starting point of foot track for Kedarnath from the parking area at Gaurikund. This 2 kms stretch is metalled and vehicles can go up till the start point after crossing through Gaurikund market but actually are not allowed to proceed as the road is quite narrow and the market area is congested. As such the actual walking distance to Kedarnath town remains 14 kms from the point where vehicles are parked. In the photograph the way to the parking area is on the right with a structure visible in the background. After parking the car, we walked for 2 kms till the market and after having snacks started off for the final ascent of 12 kms.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 01:08   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

It was really nice to read and nice sequence & pictures!! someday someday .... :-)

Also lately I have been confused choosing between a swift lxi optional which I booked and a Alto k10 (due to budget issues) and have to confirm by tomorrow. Seeing your alto 800 at those places gives me some confidence!
bmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 11:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuser View Post
It was really nice to read and nice sequence & pictures!! someday someday .... :-)

Also lately I have been confused choosing between a swift lxi optional which I booked and a Alto k10 (due to budget issues) and have to confirm by tomorrow. Seeing your alto 800 at those places gives me some confidence!
Thanks. Both Swift and Alto K10 are excellent cars in their respective categories. Considering daily usage under city driving conditions, Alto K10 is a good option owing to its easy maneuverability and excellent fuel efficiency whereas if one is looking for performance along with efficiency then Swift is the answer. Also Swift is a best option for long cross country drives due to the excellent driving comfort it offers.
Old 23rd July 2016, 22:00   #26
BHPian

There are lot of Army Stores where one can get these type of emblems. Nearest to Chandigarh would be Ambala Cantt. There are 3-4 of such store there. The beauty of India is that you need not to be in Armed Forces to get one. Simply walk down and ask for one.

However, personally speaking, I will not recommend one. First, it should be used by only those who are actually part of Armed Forces. Secondly, even in Armed Forces, use of such emblems are not allowed.
HalfOctave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 22:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
There are lot of Army Stores where one can get these type of emblems. Nearest to Chandigarh would be Ambala Cantt. There are 3-4 of such store there. The beauty of India is that you need not to be in Armed Forces to get one. Simply walk down and ask for one.

However, personally speaking, I will not recommend one. First, it should be used by only those who are actually part of Armed Forces. Secondly, even in Armed Forces, use of such emblems are not allowed.
Thanks for the information mate. Well can't comment on whether one needs to be in armed forces or not to get one but what I've heard from most of the retired defence officers and personnel whom I know in person is that only defence personnel either serving or retired can use them on the private vehicles. Have seen many retired and serving personnel using them.
Old 23rd July 2016, 23:31   #28
BHPian

very well photo documented travelogue. Interesting read and you chose an unusual time to visit this part of the country. Though the sight of snow justifies your timing. Did you face any breakdown in the entire trip? Your Maruti seems to be stuff of folklore i guess. Kudos to you and your vehicle for undertaking such trips. once again my compliments on briliant photographs and your passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
After the trip to the two dhams of Yamunotri and Gangotri
By 1555 Hrs, after a drive of 80 kms, reached the holy town of Devprayag which is famous for being the confluence point for River Ganga and its major tributary River Alaknanda.
just a little observation. if i am not mistaken, Devprayag is the confluence of Alaknanda and Bhagirathi and it is at this point that the river Ganga get its name.
dinesh6481 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 11:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh6481 View Post
very well photo documented travelogue. Interesting read and you chose an unusual time to visit this part of the country. Though the sight of snow justifies your timing. Did you face any breakdown in the entire trip? Your Maruti seems to be stuff of folklore i guess. Kudos to you and your vehicle for undertaking such trips. once again my compliments on briliant photographs and your passion, just a little observation. if i am not mistaken, Devprayag is the confluence of Alaknanda and Bhagirathi and it is at this point that the river Ganga get its name.
Thanks a lot mate. No we didn't face any breakdown during the trip. Maruti 800 performed really well, it took on the unmetalled mountain roads with ease and scaled new heights. Yes you are absolutely right, Devprayag is the confluence of Alaknanda and Bhagirathi and after the confluence the River is known by the name Ganga.
Old 27th July 2016, 16:09   #30
BHPian

I was born under the Geese's sign.... 44 is home ground. Recently went for the raising day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks