Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2016, 01:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems

Thread moved to travelogues section : Thanks for sharing
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 12:16   #17

re: Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems

Wow as usual splendid Lalu chetta . Only teasers or more to come ?

I'm a big admirer of your write-ups , patiently noting down every single detail , hats off !
dupe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 13:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupe View Post
Wow as usual splendid Lalu chetta . Only teasers or more to come ?

I'm a big admirer of your write-ups , patiently noting down every single detail , hats off !
Daily accounts coming up
Planning to spend time every evening till completion. Happy to note you like the logs
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:05   #19
BHPian

Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing your happiness with us and inspiring us to create and share happiness.
CliffHanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:23   #20
APV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupe View Post
+2(Me & Wifey) to that. Can not wait for next post. As usual this would be a run book for people planning to visit these places in near future.
APV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing your happiness with us and inspiring us to create and share happiness.
Thanks for the kind note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
+2(Me & Wifey) to that. Can not wait for next post. As usual this would be a run book for people planning to visit these places in near future.
Its been a while since I wrote a log. Hope to give all info I captured during the drive. Please do let me know how it flows
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 20:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems

Impressions on Zoom Cars and the car delivered for our trip

Before I start with the daily logs, let me pen my impressions on my experience with Zoom Cars, one of the self-drive rental companies. As already mentioned we booked a Ford Eco Sport for our trip and paid the advance much ahead. We cleared the payment for the trip planned for May already in January. Later on, they gave us an option to get the car dropped and picked from the airport for Rs 300, and we opted for the same. This showed as outstanding against our payments to Zoom Cars.

One day before our flight to Delhi, called them and confirmed about the booking and the drop at airport. On arrival in Delhi, 30 minutes before the scheduled start time I got a call from the designated driver who was to drop the car at Airport for me. He hinted about the outstanding amount of 300 and told me that if I don’t pay that he will not drop the car!! I told him if I can give you 50K three months in advance, what’s this funny point of 300. I told him to come over anyways.

By the time, he arrived I cleared the payment via their App. First question he asked me on meeting is whether I had cleared that amount. I felt a bit irritated, since I was never going to run away with their 300, after paying them 50K!!

So far so good. On time at the airport with the car.

He helped me with the luggage to the boot and we moved outside the airport to take a look at the car and agree to the condition of the car before taking delivery and going ahead for our trip.

I was handed over the keys. I was taken through the documentation of the car, road tax paid receipts of Delhi and Haryana, Pollution certificate, RC, Insurance. All perfectly documented and filed. I then asked about the tool kit, and promptly it was shown to me, along with the fire extinguisher at the boot.

Then along with the driver looked all around the car and checked for existing damages, and took pictures of the same. Looked at the tyres, and looked like they had half thread remaining still in them.

Driver showing me the existing battle scars
Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160430_085408edit.jpg

Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160430_085413edit.jpg

Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160430_085421edit.jpg

Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160430_085429edit.jpg

Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160430_085442edit.jpg

Once inside the car, I noted the ODO meter reading for my records. It had approximately done 62K Kms.
Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160430_090716edit.jpg

Then I looked all around inside. Vehicle looked very much used and was showing its age in the dash, and door plastics. Carpets looked heavily used, but dusted before we got. Fuel was full tank. Checked for the power windows, audio system and what was available inside the dash. A battery charger for mobile and an aux cable was present.

I then started the car, checked for clutch wear. Seemed ok, accelerated a bit, engine note was smooth, checked all lamps, all well. Ac was already in full blast and the May temperatures of Delhi (33 degrees at this time), soon became a non-issue for us.

But, engine oil change due indicator was lit up .
Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160430_131100edit.jpg

He asked me to safely ignore it. I took a picture and documented the same. Except for this everything seemed in place.

Then to complete the formality I had to log into the app and enter the odometer reading, and some number was sent back in SMS, which was told to me to keep safe for use while returning the car. The driver also took a picture of mine with the car before he left us on our own.

Very professional behavior, except for that 300 Rs whining, and that engine oil due indicator!

The normal highway ride was ok, and the car behaving perfectly. Picking up speed, braking all were fine and as expected. Things became a bit complicated once we were on slippery inclines. I was struggling to get the car traction on going up the slope. I could hear wheel spins, feel lack of grip and I began doubting my hill driving skills. All this was happening when we were climbing to Hatu Peak. The trail is too narrow and with rubble that, it shocked me a bit. Once on reaching the peak I decided to check the tires again. What I found was shocking!! All tyres were of different makes with all possible thread combinations !!

Falken
Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160507_145353edit.jpg

Bridgestone
Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160507_145404edit.jpg

MRF
Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160507_145421edit.jpg

GoodYear
Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160507_145441edit.jpg

Falken
Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160507_145510edit.jpg

Now that I noticed the same, I became a bit careful on the steep slopes.

On return the driver promptly called me 30 minutes before our agreed drop time, and promised to be at the airport on time. On returning the car I told the driver about tyres and he was laughing. I told him this could be issue for some people on the hills. He then took a look at the car and could not find any new battle scars. He then took the diesel bills from me, calculated the total and entered into the app, along with the earlier number I got via SMS. I immediately received an SMS saying the refund process was approved, and cash will be in my account in a few working days. He took the key from me, bid me good bye and went on with the car.

It was almost 65K on return

Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems-img_20160515_170228edit.jpg

Great! Convenient!!

If I were to overlook the tyres, and that oil change due part, it was a pleasant experience overall. As I delve into the daily logs, I will hint any other things worth mentioning.
laluks is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 20:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Himachal Pradesh: Summer Holidays on the hills, exploring touristy spots & some hidden gems

I'll wait for the travelogue to unfold...but as of now - Yippeee, laluks and the PPGs are back!!

As usual great start. I am too a crowd allergic person and will be looking forward to see how you overcame that
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 22:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I'll wait for the travelogue to unfold...but as of now - Yippeee, laluks and the PPGs are back!!

As usual great start. I am too a crowd allergic person and will be looking forward to see how you overcame that

Thanks mallumowgli. Its been ages since I wrote a travelogue
Hope you like it
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 22:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Ho hum no Civvy this time oh well i understand you were hard pressed for time. The hero's adventures in a new movie without his regular stallion i guess we can do without it this time once. As usual travelogue is great, kids have grown up too.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th November 2016 at 22:51.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 05:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Ho hum no Civvy this time oh well i understand you were hard pressed for time. The hero's adventures in a new movie without his regular stallion i guess we can do without it this time once. As usual travelogue is great, kids have grown up too.

Even if we had time in hand, I think I would not have taken Civvy. Just too much of a monotonous drive for at least 5 to 6 days. Me feels it would be not worth the trouble with family.

Kiddies would be bored, instead it was better this way.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 07:38   #27
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Long family driving trips and holidays have become quite complex these days. Thanks to growing children and varying priorities almost making it difficult to zero in on a perfect time for such holidays.
Welcome back to the TL section, Lalu! As usual, you're on the right track with your traditional style of trip conception, plan, summary, teasers. Now, waiting for the devil (in the details)

Quote:
I am scared of the school holiday season. Every place will be choked. Jostling for space in the resorts and traffic jams are the last of the things we look forward in a driving holiday. And obviously all the well-known destinations always paints a grim scenario in those terms.
Tell me about it, this is what always puts me off from planning a trip during the major school holidays, especially to touristy places.

Quote:
I always enjoyed Bangalore during those season, since Bangalore will see lesser crowds and we get to enjoy some laid back drives and eating out.
Ditto, I also prefer to stay back and enjoy Bengaluru when a lot of people have gone on vacations, leaving some space for us to breathe!

Quote:
Wifey: You and your crowd mania. Let us go, and sort out your fear of crowds.
Sounds very, very familiar. I can hear voices already in the background

Quote:
This travelogue is dedicated to all parents who have to plan holidays as per schedule of their growing children, and for those who wish to have a driving holiday in India while having access to creature comforts for the family
Thanks for the empathy shown, I can relate to this very easily, being in a similar situation as yours. Synchronizing vacation & driving plans with school holidays has become a necessity now when children are in higher classes.

Looking forward to all the details in your inimitable style.
Oh, and Thanks for Sharing!

Last edited by NPV : 1st December 2016 at 07:41.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 14:50   #28
BHPian

Great Start Lalu! Awesome teasers!
Now waiting for the show to begin!
Thanks for sharing.
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 15:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Welcome back to the TL section, Lalu!
Its been a while, I know. Better late than never.
Family drive is quite complex equation to solve these days for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Great Start Lalu! Awesome teasers!
Now waiting for the show to begin!
Thanks for sharing.
I will try updating every evening till I finish the log
Old 1st December 2016, 16:34   #30
BHPian

Great to see you back into manuscripting another action-thrill-packed travelogue, full-on, Lalu Sir !!! Just can't wait for more to come.

As i told you during the Bangalore meet, we also did the same circuit, barring few places - Our snaps are nowhere near your mobile clicks.
DigitalDragon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks