Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2017, 13:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Holiday in Tawang: All you need to know

Dhanush, once again you have out done yourself. A whole new region has been opened up by this wonderfully exhaustive Arunachal travelogue. This is will remain the go-to post for Tawang travels for some years to come. Volumes of information and as usual superb pictures. Fabulous !
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 18:58   #47
BHPian

Couldnt agree more with Venkat on your Tawang inputs.It helped us greatly when we took the Rupa route as you suggested from Nameri.We hardly met any vehicle on that route and the roads were generally superb(we returned back by 28th april).

Thank for suggesting what I would suggest should be the default route by any Team Bhpian.We too traveled in a hired ford Figo though only till sela pass.

Cheers

Vijay
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 20:37   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post
Couldnt agree more with Venkat on your Tawang inputs.It helped us greatly when we took the Rupa route as you suggested from Nameri.We hardly met any vehicle on that route and the roads were generally superb(we returned back by 28th april).

Thank for suggesting what I would suggest should be the default route by any Team Bhpian.We too traveled in a hired ford Figo though only till sela pass.

Cheers

Vijay
Thanks Vijay for the appreciation. I am really glad that you took the Rupa route. It devoids you of a lot of traffic and some large chunks of bad roads.

Why did you travel only till Sela pass? How did you commute after that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Dhanush, once again you have out done yourself. A whole new region has been opened up by this wonderfully exhaustive Arunachal travelogue. This is will remain the go-to post for Tawang travels for some years to come. Volumes of information and as usual superb pictures. Fabulous !
Thank you very much venkatt1800 for your very kind words. I am much humbled. I will only be too glad if people refer to this travelogue and guidelines for their travels. After all, the purpose of me burning much midnight oil and internet bill would come to some use.
Old 11th May 2017, 21:19   #49
BHPian

Dhanush we just wanted to drive till Sela from Dirang as suggested by wanderer nomad.We were staying the night at Thembang village some 30kms from Dirang.Time planned did not permit us to go up to Tawang.Arunachal alone some time maybe.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
2. I would suggest that you take Kalaktang route on both ways. Road conditions are much better than the traditional route with negligible traffic.
Thanks a lot Dhanush!!. How much time would it take from Bomdila to Guwahati through the Kalaktang route? The way, I am planning, I will have to reach back in Guwahati by ~5pm at least.

From Tawang to Bumla/Zemithang, I plan to hire a vehicle. So self drive is only till Tawang.

The options that I have for self drive is only Ford Figo Diesel or a Bolero . For now, I have booked a Figo since it was a relatively new car!. I see that it started raining in that region. If it is tough to reach Tawang with Figo, then I have to think of Bolero. Any suggestions?
Old 18th May 2017, 10:59   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers

Vijay
Vijay, When did you do this?. How was your experience with Figo self drive?. And was it raining when you went?. I have a figo diesel booked for a tawang drive and I am wondering if I need to switch to a Bolero. Thanks for your feedback
Old 18th May 2017, 12:00   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Vijay, When did you do this?. How was your experience with Figo self drive?. And was it raining when you went?. I have a figo diesel booked for a tawang drive and I am wondering if I need to switch to a Bolero. Thanks for your feedback
Motor head we did our drive April end this year.Fortunately the rain gods smiled at us and kept it's distance.

If given an opportunity I would definitely recommend take the bolero if only for better lights .

That said the FIgo served us well except in fog which is more likely in rains than when we driving a bigger vehicle would always be better especially with possibility of falling rocks.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:48   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Motor head we did our drive April end this year.Fortunately the rain gods smiled at us and kept it's distance.

If given an opportunity I would definitely recommend take the bolero if only for better lights .

That said the FIgo served us well except in fog which is more likely in rains than when we driving a bigger vehicle would always be better especially with possibility of falling rocks.
Thanks Vijay, Since you travelled very recently, i was wondering how the roads were overall and If I should take special care of any particular stretch or any thing else

And also how much time it took for you from a) Dirang to Sella Pass and b) Bomdila to Guwahati via Kalaktang route

On car, I will try for Bolero and if I do not get it, I will go with my current booking, which is a Figo. Hope Figo will take me there properly
Old 18th May 2017, 17:09   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Thanks a lot Dhanush!!. How much time would it take from Bomdila to Guwahati through the Kalaktang route? The way, I am planning, I will have to reach back in Guwahati by ~5pm at least.

From Tawang to Bumla/Zemithang, I plan to hire a vehicle. So self drive is only till Tawang.

The options that I have for self drive is only Ford Figo Diesel or a Bolero . For now, I have booked a Figo since it was a relatively new car!. I see that it started raining in that region. If it is tough to reach Tawang with Figo, then I have to think of Bolero. Any suggestions?
Hi motorhead5. Starting from Bomdila by around 0600, I reached Shillong by around 1930 or so. I crossed the Guwahati bridge by around 1600 after an hour traffic block. With the new bridge opened, I guess you can easily reach by 1700.

If you have an option of Bolero, take that for better ground clearance. Otherwise, for comfort, Figo should do well I guess. Hope you are not travelling full load. In which case, the rear seat passengers will be your new enemies.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 17:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hi motorhead5. Starting from Bomdila by around 0600, I reached Shillong by around 1930 or so. I crossed the Guwahati bridge by around 1600 after an hour traffic block. With the new bridge opened, I guess you can easily reach by 1700.
Great. So I can start early and reach by 5pm!

Quote:
If you have an option of Bolero, take that for better ground clearance. Otherwise, for comfort, Figo should do well I guess. Hope you are not travelling full load. In which case, the rear seat passengers will be your new enemies.
No, its only 2 adults at front and 2 small kids at the back + average luggage. That was one of my reasons to be confused between Bolero and Figo

Since I have good number of days on hand, I am not planning very long/night drives except the last day (Bomdila > Guwahati). So I plan to take Bhalukpong route on the way up and Kalaktang route on the way down. Hope it all make sense!
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 19:31   #56
BHPian

Motorhead I would suggest both both routes take the kalaktang route.Roads are amazing and being from Bangalore I dare say better than home conditions.Only patches are bad.

If you are hiring a self drive now zoom cars is also available besides awe rides.Another thing I learnt from my first time Indian experience of self drive is if a choice has to be made between 2 cars in the same segment opt for the lower run car.Also prefer cars which are more in that area(read maruti).

Also follow Dhanush`s advice on removing the nuts and reducing them besides carrying a repair kit.(Didn't have any great value for us as the FIgo had non tubeless tyres).

Google maps would give you appx timings (I guess Google gets it`s data on average route duration based on people like us the non locals who stop everywhere to admire the beauty and slowly because of the fog cover).The time taken would match what Danish mentioned.However note there would be very little food options so with 2 kids on board please stock up some food.Tea options are non existent.

Have fun.
vijayols is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 21:54   #57
BHPian

Thanks Vijay and Dhanush. The Figo that I booked is a relatively new car - late 2016 model. So considering your feedback, i am thinking that Figo might do. Its been raining there for the last few days and the forecast is intermittent showers when I am there and that is the only question mark in mind. Appreciate your help much!!!

Didn't want to do a hurried trip. So hope to visit Meghalaya next time
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 19:03   #58
BHPian

DM- Super travelogue. Thank you very much for sharing.

I have a plan-
D1. Guwahati- Orang-Kalakthang-Shergaon- Rupa/Tenga
D2. Rupa Tawang.
D3. Tawang
D4. Tawang
D5, Tenga/Bomdila
D6. Guwahati

Thats all the time we have- so- thanks for the ideas and the route. I will keep you posted on my trip planning as it develops.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 18:38   #59

Great travelogue and superb thread.

I am planning to do a roadtrip from Delhi to Arunachal Pradesh in June this year. Here is the itinerary that I have chalked out -

8th June - Delhi to Gorakhpur
9th June - Gorakhpur to Siliguri
10th June - Siliguri to Guwahati
11th June - Local Guwahati
12th June - Guwahati to Bomdilla
13th June - Bomdilla to Tawang
14th June - Local Tawang
15th June - Tawang to Nameri National Park
16th June - Nameri National Park
17th June - Nameri National Park to Ziro
18th June - Ziro Local
19th June - Ziro to Tejpur
20th June - Tejpur to Guwahati
21st June - Guwahati to delhi journey starts

Although I have been to Guwahati, I havent done any roadtrip in NorthEast and this is going to be first. We are traveling in 2 cars (Fortuner & Pajero) with our families and there will be kids too.

I need your help on -

1. How good is this itinerary? Anyone proposes a better itineray?? Please give your reason also...
2. Can Delhi to Guwahati be done in 2 days? Would like to save some time, if possible
3. Are any other places in Arunachal or enroute that I might be missing?
4. Any thing particular that I need to consider on this route?
6. Can someone help identify the milestones/pitstops enroute?
5. What are the road conditions? At what places I might hit rough patches?
Anisoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 09:50   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisoft View Post
Great travelogue and superb thread.
Here is the itinerary that I have chalked out -

8th June - Delhi to Gorakhpur
9th June - Gorakhpur to Siliguri
10th June - Siliguri to Guwahati
11th June - Local Guwahati
12th June - Guwahati to Bomdilla
13th June - Bomdilla to Tawang
14th June - Local Tawang
15th June - Tawang to Nameri National Park
16th June - Nameri National Park
17th June - Nameri National Park to Ziro
18th June - Ziro Local
19th June - Ziro to Tejpur
20th June - Tejpur to Guwahati
21st June - Guwahati to delhi journey starts

I need your help on -

1. How good is this itinerary? Anyone proposes a better itineray?? Please give your reason also...
2. Can Delhi to Guwahati be done in 2 days? Would like to save some time, if possible
3. Are any other places in Arunachal or enroute that I might be missing?
4. Any thing particular that I need to consider on this route?
6. Can someone help identify the milestones/pitstops enroute?
5. What are the road conditions? At what places I might hit rough patches?
Thanks Anisoft. Sorry for the late response as I was travelling.
1. Delhi- Guwahati may not be possible in two days; unless you are driving non stop and through the night. I would not recommend driving through the night, especially when travelling with family and away from GQ through regions of Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal. There are Naxal activities still alive in these regions. Delhi to Siliguri can be done in two days easily.

2. You may consider one additional day at Tawang. That you have come all the way till Tawang, it would be unfair if you leave without visiting Bum La, Sangetsar and Taksang Gompa. This will take a full day if you start in time. Aim to finish Bum La before 11 o clock and reach Sangetsar by around 1 o clock for lunch. If you can meet that time line, you will have time for Taksang Gompa, which is another 8 Kms from Sangetsar. If you wind up from Sangetsar after 1500 hrs, I would suggest that you turn back instead. You should aim to return to base before sundown. For, if you get stuck somewhere due to landslides or vehicle breakdown, then you are stuck for good. Army presence will be there; but still thats an avoidable risk.
If you have an additional day, you can visit Zemithang too.

3. In addition to Bum La, for local Tawang, one full day is recommended. Tawang monastery, Ani Gompa, local markets, War memorial and lot more to visit there. Also, since you will be travelling from Delhi, a little bit of rest would be good before you ascend again to Bum La.

4. You can consider visiting Kaziranga National Park. Then for that, you will have to reschedule your plan.

5. Since you are travelling in cars with high GC, it should not pose much of a problem. The drive up the hills will be a bit bumpy. Be prepared for it. Carry enough snacks in the car as shops are far and few in between. The worst part of the drive is between Sela pass- Jaswant Garh.

6. Plan all your drives so as to reach your destinations during daylight hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
DM- Super travelogue. Thank you very much for sharing.

I have a plan-
D1. Guwahati- Orang-Kalakthang-Shergaon- Rupa/Tenga
D2. Rupa Tawang.
D3. Tawang
D4. Tawang
D5, Tenga/Bomdila
D6. Guwahati

Thats all the time we have- so- thanks for the ideas and the route. I will keep you posted on my trip planning as it develops.
Thanks Hammer&Anvil for your kind words.
As I understand, on Day 4, you want to travel from Tawang to Tenga. In which case, you are left with only one day at Tawang. Which, as I mentioned for Anisoft above, will eventually take out Bum La from your schedule.

Quote:
2. You may consider one additional day at Tawang. That you have come all the way till Tawang, it would be unfair if you leave without visiting Bum La, Sangetsar and Taksang Gompa. This will take a full day if you start in time. Aim to finish Bum La before 11 o clock and reach Sangetsar by around 1 o clock for lunch. If you can meet that time line, you will have time for Taksang Gompa, which is another 8 Kms from Sangetsar. If you wind up from Sangetsar after 1500 hrs, I would suggest that you turn back instead. You should aim to return to base before sundown. For, if you get stuck somewhere due to landslides or vehicle breakdown, then you are stuck for good. Army presence will be there; but still thats an avoidable risk.
If you have an additional day, you can visit Zemithang too.

3. In addition to Bum La, for local Tawang, one full day is recommended. Tawang monastery, Ani Gompa, local markets, War memorial and lot more to visit there. Also, since you will be travelling from Delhi, a little bit of rest would be good before you ascend again to Bum La.
Therefore, try to squeeze in Bum La into the schedule if you have time.
You can also include Sangti on your return (It is a laid back farming village. Deviation from Dirang). It would have rained and the fields will be green. The time would be ripe for a rejuvenating drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks