Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2017, 20:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Ladakh'ed in a Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
I was thinking of these, from Blue Garage:

http://www.bluegarage.in/Automobile-...ic-red?PId=274
These look good. Please ensure that the cap has some sort of gasket or something which will prevent spills in case of excessive jerking.

BTW, which vehicle and what route?
Old 15th August 2017, 21:54   #32
BHPian

Neel385, that was a wonderful travelogue, something that’s on my bucket list.
Reading it I can visualise almost everything that you experienced. I commend you for making this trip with your wife and two small kids. That’s fantastic.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 09:53   #33
BHPian

Superb T-Log. Hats off to you of going to such Offbeat places through the route less taken. This surely would be possible with a well-detailed planning.

I have been planning Leh-Ladakh for this year with my brother. Just hoping that everything falls in place and the trip happens
Bageera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 11:21   #34
BHPian

Wonderful Travelogue Neel - peppered with plenty of great images. I have been dreaming of a drive to Ladakh for ages, but never could make it.
A small query from a Safari rider: Your Storme must be a 2 wheel drive (gathered from what you have mentioned) and did you ever feel that you needed the 4 wheel drive ?
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 17:57   #35
BHPian

Excellent Travelogue Neel385, reminds me of my travel to most of these places exactly a year ago. Safari's with Ranchi Registration doing the Ladakh Circuit are quite rare.
sbhaduri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 18:00   #36
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
These look good. Please ensure that the cap has some sort of gasket or something which will prevent spills in case of excessive jerking.

BTW, which vehicle and what route?
We are in a 2008 Grand Vitara; 4 adults, two children. Route is the traditional one: Gurgaon-Jammu-Sonamarg-Kargil-Leh-Khardung La-Leh-Pangong lake-Leh-Jispa-Bilaspur-Gurgaon. I have done the Spiti Loop before (Kalpa-Pooh-Tabo-Kaza-Losar-Kunzum La-Rohtang-Manali), but first time venturing into Ladakh. Starting last week of August, a ten-day trip.
Old 17th August 2017, 16:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi Neel

Awesome travelogue, with equally amazing pictures. I am sure you and your family had wonderful time traveling in Ladakh. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. Any specifics on vehicle related issues (if any) that you faced during your trip?
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 22:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Your Storme must be a 2 wheel drive (gathered from what you have mentioned) and did you ever feel that you needed the 4 wheel drive ?

I really did not. But again, maybe I was plain lucky. Had I got stuck in some loose sand as would have been possible in many parts of the drive, maybe I would have felt the requirement. But given the conditions of the roads/tracks overall, careful driving should ensure that a 2 wheel high GC vehicle has no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
We are in a 2008 Grand Vitara; 4 adults, two children. Route is the traditional one: Gurgaon-Jammu-Sonamarg-Kargil-Leh-Khardung La-Leh-Pangong lake-Leh-Jispa-Bilaspur-Gurgaon. I have done the Spiti Loop before (Kalpa-Pooh-Tabo-Kaza-Losar-Kunzum La-Rohtang-Manali), but first time venturing into Ladakh. Starting last week of August, a ten-day trip.

Nice! But why come back from Khardung La? Might as well continue till Hunder and go to Pengong from there either by the Agham - Shyok or the Agham - Shakti route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Any specifics on vehicle related issues (if any) that you faced during your trip?
Thankfully, other than the puncture at Pengong Tso, I did not have any!
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 23:13   #39
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Nice! But why come back from Khardung La? Might as well continue till Hunder and go to Pengong from there either by the Agham - Shyok or the Agham - Shakti route.
Thanks! That's definitely an idea. Hadn't considered that, assuming the roads would be much too bad and the distance too long, but I see that I might have been wrong about it. Going to think seriously about it.
Old 19th August 2017, 14:36   #40
BHPian

Hi Neel,

I must say that is an awesome writeup of your journey. This is exactly what I needed prior to starting my family trip next month. I am also taking my Safari Storme for the trip.

Couple of questions for your inputs!

1. I am going to take the following route. Hope this would be fine?

Day 1: Noida – Patnitop (Overnight stay at Patnitop)
Day 2: Patnitop – Sonmarg (Overnight stay at Sonmarg)
Day 3: +++ Rest Day at Sonmarg + Sight Seeing in Sonmarg & Gulmarg +++ (Overnight stay at Sonmarg)
Day 4: Sonmarg – Kargil (Overnight stay at Kargil)
Day 5: Kargil – Leh (Overnight stay at Leh)
Day 6: +++ Rest Day at Leh + Sight Seeing in & around Leh +++ (Overnight stay at Leh)
Day 7: Leh – Nubra Valley (Overnight stay at Diskit)
Day 8: Nubra Valley – Leh (Overnight at Leh)
Day 9: Leh - Pangong Tso (Overnight stay at Pangong Tso)
Day 10: Pangong Tso - Leh (Overnight stay at Leh)
Day 11: Leh – Tso Moriri Lake (Overnight stay at Korzok)
Day 12: Tso Moriri – Jispa (Overnight stay at Jispa)
Day 13: Jispa – Manali (Overnight stay at Manali)
Day 14: +++ Rest Day at Manali + Sight Seeing in & around Manali +++ (Overnight stay at Manali)
Day 15: Manali – Noida
Day 16: Buffer Days
Day 17: Buffer Days

2. Any idea what would the road conditions for Leh - Tso Moriri? Any specific recommended route that you suggest?

Cheers!
Old 19th August 2017, 17:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post

Day 7: Leh – Nubra Valley (Overnight stay at Diskit)

Day 8: Nubra Valley – Leh (Overnight at Leh)

Day 9: Leh - Pangong Tso (Overnight stay at Pangong Tso)

Day 10: Pangong Tso - Leh (Overnight stay at Leh)

Day 11: Leh – Tso Moriri Lake (Overnight stay at Korzok)

Day 12: Tso Moriri – Jispa (Overnight stay at Jispa)
Nice plan overall. However, if I may, I would like to offer the following changes.

Day 8: Why don't you drive directly from Nubra top Pangong? Both the Agham Shyok and the Agham Shakti route are available for you depending on how adventurous you want to be!

That means that you can actually keep day 9 only for Pangong Tso. You wont really regret this. You can then drive on both the north and south banks as long as you want to venture and really get to see the splendour of the lake.

On day 10 then, you can try Pangong - Hanle. this is an amazing drive and one that you must make since you have come this far. Accomodation can be found at Hanle for the night.

On day 11 you can then do Hanle- Tso Morri which will be short 4 hr drive. After that you can continue as planned.

By cutting out the trips back to Leh, you can actually save a bit of time and travel on new roads and thus see more of Ladakh. You might want to extend a day in Leh in case you really want to explore Hemis and the other monastery!

And I did not take the Leh Tso Morri route so no idea about the roads till Mahe, but the condition of the roads thereafter is as described in post #13 of this thread. Hope it helps!

Last edited by neel385 : 19th August 2017 at 17:33.
Old 20th August 2017, 03:02   #42

Hi Neel,

Wonderful travelogue with just the right amount of details and some amazing pictures. Rated full 5 stars. This certainly updates and adds on to the ultimate guide by Tanveer Sir.

After years of planning & trying, I am finally leaving on 3rd Sept (about 2 weeks from now) for this epic journey with my brother and fiancee. Though your travelogue answers most of my queries, there are still some which I thought I'll confirm with you. Below is the plan which I intend to follow:

3 Sep - Delhi-Manali
4 Sep - Manali-Jispa
5 Sep - Jispa-Leh
6 Sep - Leh local & permits
7 Sep - Leh local (if required or buffer)
8 Sep - Leh-Hunder
9 Sep - Hunder-Siachin base-Hunder (taking this forward from you)
10 Sep - Hunder-Pangong Tso (via Agham-Shyok route)
11 Sep - Pangong Tso-Hanle (via Man-Merak-Chushul route)
12 Sep - Hanle-Tso Moriri
13 Sep - Tso Moriri-Jispa
14 Sep - Jispa-Old Manali (or Kullu)
15 Sep - Manali-Delhi
16 Sep - Buffer
17 Sep - Buffer

Now, below are the inputs I need from you:
1. Your thoughts on the plan and suggestions, if any
2. Vehicle is the new Dzire AMT Petrol (no roof rack) - any problems with any of the route, especially Agham-Shyok and Pangong-Hanle routes?
3. Availability of petrol on the above routes? Is extra fuel in jerry cans recommended for any of the above routes?
4. Permits - Is ILP still required? Apart from the special permission for Siachin base camp, any other permits required for any other area?
5. We plan to book the Leh accommodation in advance. Any other recommended in advance?
6. How did you feel about the safety considering you were travelling with wife & kids?

Once again kuddos for doing this.

Best,
Gandharv
Old 20th August 2017, 11:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Nice plan overall. However, if I may, I would like to offer the following changes.

Day 8: Why don't you drive directly from Nubra top Pangong? Both the Agham Shyok and the Agham Shakti route are available for you depending on how adventurous you want to be!

That means that you can actually keep day 9 only for Pangong Tso. You wont really regret this. You can then drive on both the north and south banks as long as you want to venture and really get to see the splendour of the lake.

On day 10 then, you can try Pangong - Hanle. this is an amazing drive and one that you must make since you have come this far. Accomodation can be found at Hanle for the night.

On day 11 you can then do Hanle- Tso Morri which will be short 4 hr drive. After that you can continue as planned.

By cutting out the trips back to Leh, you can actually save a bit of time and travel on new roads and thus see more of Ladakh. You might want to extend a day in Leh in case you really want to explore Hemis and the other monastery!

And I did not take the Leh Tso Morri route so no idea about the roads till Mahe, but the condition of the roads thereafter is as described in post #13 of this thread. Hope it helps!

Thanks Neel. The inputs are very welcome! I would surely think about these suggestions!

One more question, I am thinking about getting my car serviced before the trip, but still wanted to check with you whether you carried some spare parts with you on the trip? Things like Air Filter, Diesel Filter, Fuel Filter etc.

Cheers!
Old 22nd August 2017, 00:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandharvkalra View Post
9 Sep - Hunder-Siachin base-Hunder (taking this forward from you)
This is possible only if you are in the armed forces or if anybody very close to you can get you the permits. The DC at Leh cannot give you permits for this route.

Quote:
10 Sep - Hunder-Pangong Tso (via Agham-Shyok route)
Considering the fact that you have a Swift Desire, I would suggest the Agham - Shakti route.

Quote:
11 Sep - Pangong Tso-Hanle (via Man-Merak-Chushul route)
Doable in a Desire, but you need to drive extremely carefully in some sections, specially those involving sand.

Rest all is good.

No fuel from Hunder onwards, so you need to stock up for the rest of the journey. Get a tank full at Diskit before setting course for Pengong and carry at least 40L more to be comfortable.

ILP is required. Ensure that you have permits for the Man-Merak-Loma-Hanle-Nyoma-Tso Morri section.

Do not try the Tso Morri- Debring route via Tso Kar in a Desire. So that might mean that you need to get back to Leh from Tso Morri.

Safety was never an issue in Ladakh. People are most helpful, friendly and accommodating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post

One more question, I am thinking about getting my car serviced before the trip, but still wanted to check with you whether you carried some spare parts with you on the trip? Things like Air Filter, Diesel Filter, Fuel Filter etc.
I got a regular service and thorough checkup done before the journey. I personally did not carry any spares since I was very sure of the condition of the car. I did carry a tow rope, jump start cables and a puncture repair kit though!
Old 24th August 2017, 20:26   #45
BHPian

Re: L.A.D.A.K.H.E.D. at Last!!

"After Panamik, the road ends for anyone who does not have some inroads into the Army and has thus been able to get prior permission to go further which, if you know someone, is not very difficult."

H Neel.
Coud you please let me know how one can get permission for the s\Siachen Base camp? Does one require written permission?
Thanks
Nariman

Last edited by Nariman : 24th August 2017 at 20:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks