Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2017, 20:47   #16
BHPian

Re: L.A.D.A.K.H.E.D. at Last!!

Epilogue

I shall end this travelogue here. Manali is anything from 1 hr to 4 hrs from here depending on traffic. I took about 2 hrs. But after a lunch stop for about an hr, by which time it was 1500 hrs, I had planned to go down till Kullu. I got stuck in a jam which lasted 4 hrs and therefore I had to make my night halt in Manali itself.

Coming to other important points about the route:

Accomodation:

Available in any small village if you ask me. Yes, those in small villages will not be even the least bit luxurious, but, basic amenities will be there. So no real threat of freezing on the road. Any medium sized village will have a decent home stay. We saw these even in desolate places like Man and Merak enroute Loma! If one wants, it would be a nice idea to plan stops in these places so that one can spend more time enjoying the views as well as get a better feel of the local culture and food. In fact places like Lamaryu, Alchi, Basgo, Shyok, Chusul, Hanle and Nyoma all had boards advertising homestays. The dhabas on the Leh Manali road Pang, Sarchu and Sase all had dormitory type accommodation for overnight stays.

Fuel

This is a tricky issue. Getting to Nubra and back from Leh is no problem since bunks are available at Leh. The bunk at Diskit is also functional. However, anything east of Diskit is a problem. Yes fuel in jerrycans are available in almost all big villages. However, they are notorious for being adulterated with Kerosine. A local driver told me tales of two Innovas of people he knew being written off because of adulterated fuel. So if one is planning the route I took post Pengong, it is advisable to carry all the fuel that one will require till the Bunk at Tandi.

Well, that's it I guess! With this I come to the end of my description of one of the best holidays that I have gone through. It was time well spent. Hope this thread helps others find as I did in travelling through the beautiful Ladakh.

Get Ladakhed. Its a journey of a lifetime!

Last edited by neel385 : 13th August 2017 at 20:51.
neel385 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 08:09   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Ladakh'ed in a Tata Safari Storme

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:13   #18
BHPian

Re: Ladakh'ed in a Tata Safari Storme

Just one word "EXCELLENT". Great travelogue and brilliant pics. Leh and Ladakh on a driving expedition is a item in every petrolhead's bucket list. Great to know you were able to strike it off. Thanks
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:36   #19
BHPian

Re: L.A.D.A.K.H.E.D. at Last!!

Marvelously done officer! Love reading it to the every bit of it and for sure will come as a ready aid. The pictures have taken away my heart though! A well deserved 5 stars.

By the way, this morning itself, me and my office colleague(not feeling like to work), were planning camping at Pangong Lake. Since he had already gone there a few years ago while on his return from Leh, your review coming in is certainly a perfect co-incidence. Both of us just together went through your write-up and let me share you in his words "this guy has planned it very well & explored a lot around. Who is he by profession?" I clicked your profile and there came the answer.

On a side note, believe, it is "Baralacha La" and not "Barachang La".

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Just before Barachang La- the place has a puncture repair shop
Quote:
Views till the crossing of Barachang La
Quote:
Post Barachang La, you have truly left Ladakh behind. But for the one jem called Suraj Tal just after the pass, things are becoming green.
Thank you again for this fantastic travelogue.

Chills & cheers!
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 15:56   #20
BHPian

Amazing travelogue. I must say, You've put each and every detail precisely. I visited this thread solely because I saw your Storme was Ranchi registered. And then, I was hooked to it. Now even I feel like exploring the whole Ladakh region soon. Rated a well deserved 5 stars!

Regards,
Swapnil
Swapnil_Alto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 17:13   #21
BHPian

Awesome,exhilarating, superb travelogue, extremely well written and to the point, letting the pictures talk most of the time. Just probably one point I would like to know, How did the beast perform?

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th August 2017 at 21:22. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
Sayeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 20:49   #22
BHPian

Awesome review, very picturesque and detailed. Can't even gather the courage to go there alone and you are traveling with wife and kids . Looking forward for more travelogues from you.

While the safari is the silent partner in the entire episode, please do share the good things and bad things about the safari you faced.. That will be definitely an insight both safari lovers and the engineers from tata developing safari (I have a gut feeling that they are reading such reviews and safari is their test platform for all their SUV capabilities)
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 20:58   #23
BHPian

Beautiful. What a trip.
Stories and memories for a long time.
Voted 5 stars.

And the Storme looks like one with the surroundings, almost as if made for such terrain.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 23:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayeed View Post
Just probably one point I would like to know, How did the beast perform?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
While the safari is the silent partner in the entire episode, please do share the good things and bad things about the safari you faced.
My vehicle is going to complete 4 years this Nov. It has had one major accident in which I went off the road and the car came to stop with the A pillar smashing into a tree which stopped the slide. However, there was no damage to the engine compartment at all. Other than this major repair at a TASS, I have only done the regular yearly maintenance. Parts changed under AMC include 3 shockers and the TVD. I've had no niggles to speak of really and am very happy with the car overall.

I have had no issues at all in the Ladakh trip. The beast purred along just fine. In fact she took whatever came in front of her with composure and aplomb! The ride quality was exceptional, specially in the rough patches. I do not really think that I could have asked for a better ride given the money I paid to get it.
neel385 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 00:49   #25
BHPian

I did this trip last year, off course not all the places and zanskar skipped completely, in my 4 yr old Xylo mHawk. I missed Hanle due to time constraints and some miscalculation in carrying diesel. Planning next year again but with family now.

Indian vehicles are made to ride the Indian roads and never did my car missed a bit on the whole trip just like yours did. M&M has an authorized showroom and service center in Leh which I happened to visit for a small check engine lamp issue which went away with Diesel and air filter cleaning, something which happens in this hilly region.

I am generally onto any travelogue covering Leh and Ladakh region and yours was an excellent one. Awesome pics and write up...read each and every word of it... Thanks..!!
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 01:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
....Everyone wants to go there. Few want to drive around after reaching Leh. And fewer still want to drive to Leh. I belong to the last category. And for me it was not just Leh, but Ladakh. I wanted to see as much of the whole district that I could.
Quote:
Get Ladakhed. Its a journey of a lifetime!
Surely a well deserved 5 star thread!! Nice travelogue and beautiful pictures.
Brings back memories from my trip to "Leh", you have inspired us to get Ladakhed.
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 07:46   #27
BHPian

@neel385, Another Ladakh TL! Just wow. The updated information is apt.
Guideline for an upcoming/planned trip. Thanks a ton. Will request clarifications when plans afoot.
Madmax_SP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 12:21   #28
R_R
BHPian

Terrific travelogue. Could you tell me, did you carry extra fuel, and if so, how? Any reccos on jerry cans etc?
R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 13:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Terrific travelogue. Could you tell me, did you carry extra fuel, and if so, how? Any reccos on jerry cans etc?
I did carry fuel in jerry cans. Plastic ones to be exact. But it was a nightmare really. With the roads being rough spillage was a constant problem. Try and get the metal jerry cans if possible. But those are costly!
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 13:58   #30
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Try and get the metal jerry cans if possible. But those are costly!
I was thinking of these, from Blue Garage:

http://www.bluegarage.in/Automobile-...ic-red?PId=274

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks