Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 18:06   #1
BHPian

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari

“Dare to Live the Life the Way I Always Wanted” – Bangalore- Kashmir-Kanyakumari-Bangalore

It’s been years together that I had been thinking of travelling to Leh by Road in my Car and then as years passed by the thought grew into a Dream that I want to do a K2K starting from Bangalore and back. 5 Years went by and then I started doubting my own self whether I have it in me. I wanted to test my endurance over long distance driving and no better opportunity than hitting the Road from Bangalore on a Solo Trip in my Duster to Kolkata and back Click Here

After completing the Solo Drive to Kolkata and back I gained in the much needed confidence for taking up the Mission K2K for both the Vehicle and my own Self. Started speaking to a few other Duster Owners who had expressed their interest in taking up a similar trip and then the final 6 Vehicles were selected upon sometime in May-June 2017 for the Trip of our Life to be undertaken in the month of July & Aug 2017. All this while I was committed to complete this drive as a Solo Driver but then realised that it will be worth to have someone in the car during this long trip, well that’s a story in itself.
Most of us were convinced to have a dedicated team look after our logistics and accommodation as we all were mostly first timers to Ladakh. Shortlisted a few and had extensive discussions and later realised that we all wanted to do it on our own and we would not have any prior bookings as such but hit the road!

Before I proceed let me introduce you to the Group who undertook this journey. We had 2 gentlemen from the Armed Forces and they prefer to remain unidentified. And the Entire Line-up with our Shuttle Names in order of Starting Position Ex Bangalore;

• PATH FINDER – Driver: Fahim (IT Professional and dedicated foodie), Navigator: Vasanth K (KVK) Experienced Driver and BTDT(Been There Done That) Person always available to take the steering for any other Vehicle on Need Basis (IT Professional) {Both from Bangalore}

• ROVER – Driver: Anup Rao (IT Professional) and dedicator Navigator and Life Partner Sindhoo (HR Professional) {Both from Bangalore}

• VOYAGER – Driving Duty Shared between Vishal (An IT Professional AND a Hobby Cinematographer and Rakesh (Well still to figure out what he does apart from keeping all of us in good humour) {Both from Bangalore}

• SPITZER – Driver: Soumo Bakshi (That’s Me a Dedicated Foodie and Official Diesel Tanker on virtue of carrying 60L Diesel Jerri cans, and yes an IT Professional too); Dedicated Navigator: Nalini R (IT Professional) {Both from Bangalore}

• MARINER – Wants to remain Unidentified from Vizag

• DISCOVERER – Driving duty shared between A Person who wants to stay Unidentified (From Mumbai) and Huzefa (Runs his Own Business and the calmest Person on earth I have come across from Aurangabad)

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-opening-pic.jpeg

Day 1: 28th July 2017

Opening Trip ODO

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-trip-opening-kms.jpg

We had decided to have a Flag Off Meet at Hebbal Junction for the “On The Rocks – The Ladakh Expedition 2017” . And that’s the Point where all the Bangalore based Vehicles will meet and proceed towards Hyderabad.
0640 Hrs The Moment when we were all set to Hit the Road, after an Honorary flag off by Fahim’s Father who came in the early hours to wish us well for the Road Ahead, and take up the On The Rocks – The Ladakh Expedition 2017. We decided to exchange Lead and Sweep positions between PATHFINDER and SPITZER till we reach Hyderabad and that’s exactly how the convoy was moving. Our first Stop was at Kamat, Chikkabalapur for Breakfast and knowing each of the Members a little better (Few of us met for the first time). After the sumptuous Breakfast we decided to move towards Hyderabad where a very Spirited group of Duster Owners were waiting to meet us for Lunch, but not before we met Mr. Prashant Gandhi at Kurnool who drove 100 odd Kms to meet us and wish us well for the long journey.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-meeting-gandhi.jpg

We went a bit relaxed after reaching Hyderabad, where we had MARINER (The expedition vehicle from Vizag) join us and a brief lunch meet got extended and it was only 1720 Hrs when we left from Hyderabad (It was an awesome meet with a very enthusiastic group of Duster Owners). The delay had put a shadow on our Day-1 Plan of reaching Nagpur. But all of us were in agreement that we should hit the target of Day-1 even if it means few extra hours of driving. Eventually we decided to call it a day at Botapur on the outskirts of Nagpur at around 0015 Hours.

Day 2: 29th July 2017
0830 Hours we left from Botapur and the plan was to reach Gwalior. Amongst all the states we covered, MP remains the state where FASTAG posed a big challenge for all the vehicles, as literally we had to get down from the vehicles each time in getting our vehicles scanned. Passed through Pench National Park on the way and it was a Beautiful Landscape that we passed by and couldn’t resist to stop and soak in the beauty.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-after-pench.jpg

Reached Gwalior at about 2300 Hrs where we had our Beloved BB Singh Sir (Yes, you guessed it right, another Duster Owner) a veteran with the Indian Air Force. The entire team was overwhelmed by the warmth and affection we received from BB Sir (that’s how I call him). It was about 0130 Hrs when he left us and promised to see us off from Gwalior by leading our Convoy from Gwalior.

BB Sir and his Car which Lead us through Gwalior!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-bb-sir.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-meetin-bb-sir.jpg

Day 3 & 4: 30th and 31st July 2017

After the late night we had it was tough to wake up and be ready for the next day’s travel, but the entire team was glued together and we were all set to leave Gwalior by 0730 Hrs.
Little did we know that this Day will be a memorable one as 1 days driving will become 24++ Hours of non-stop driving. Set Destination for the day was Pathankot, where we were to meet the 6th Shuttle DISCOVERER with our friend from the Armed forces and Huzefa Bhai from Aurangabad.
Crossed Chambal, Rangeen Rajasthan, Mathura, Agra, Glimpse of Taj Mahal and meeting with Ankit a very humble and avid traveller who waited under the open Sun on Agra Expressway for more than 2 hours to meet us all! And to top it all he got the famous Mathura ke Peda’s for us. Spent few moments with him and took a short test drive of his Bike on the Agra expressway. Well the Pic is without Helmet and was without Helmet for Photoshoot Only, dont shoot me for that

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-meeting-ankit.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-ankits-bike.jpg

Agra Expressway Toll Receipt

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-agra-express-way-toll.jpg

We commenced our journey and by passed Budh International Circuit enroute. It was Delhi Calling where had a brief stop as we had our beloved Amit Bhai in company of Jaspreet who came in with hot Samosa, Jalebi, Dhokla and off course few bottles of Soft Drinks. It was just an amazing experience where we 5 vehicles from down south met 2 DL Vehicles and stopped on the road (Service Road) for a Samosa Meet!
Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-delhi-meet.jpg
After all the Samosas and Pleasantries, we realised that we are again running late and reaching Pathankot was looking to be really difficult, and as luck would have it we experienced some of the harshest Rain during the late evening and set us late by few more minutes. But reaching Pathankot by EOD was top priority as otherwise our entire journey and tour plan will go for a toss. At about 2100 Hrs we broke for Dinner and that’s when we took the tough call of stretching ourselves and reach Pathankot.
At 0200 Hrs on Day 4, we reached Pathankot and had a small team meet and took stock of each of the drivers and their current state of driving ability. Lo Behold, we all decided that we won’t stop as we felt all of were fresh and instead of halting at Pathankot our revised target is now Udhampur in the Beautiful State of J&K! After a few breaks across Tea Shops enroute and close to 24 hours of driving we reached Udhampur at 0700 Hrs. This is when we decided to call up DISCOVERER and inform them that we are now ahead of the them and crossed Pathankot. After a brief halt of couple of hours, we freshened up and at 1130 Hrs the Gang was complete with the 6th Shuttle DISCOVERER joining the convoy.
Set Destination for the Day was the beautiful and charming Sonmarg and we started our Convoy for the same at 1300 Hrs. As luck would have it, we got stuck in the hills due to combing operation by security forces and only did we realise the gravity of the situation the next day. Got delayed by traffic held-up and we reached the Historic Jawahar Tunnel at about 1400 Hrs only to be informed that due to security measures outside J&K Vehicles are not allowed to proceed now and we need to wait for the next day morning. That’s when our friends from the Armed Forces could see us through the approval process with a Signed Off Bond on our own security being at risk (Little did we know what we are getting into)!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-jawahar-tunnel.jpg

After passing through the high alert areas of Parry Pora and Srinagar (Had some Awesome Sheek Kababs) we experienced the most exhilarating moment of the Trip and unfortunately that information stays Undisclosed with only a hint that the entire stretch was pitch dark and all of us appeared in some scanners of … ! We reached Sonmarg at about 0000 Hrs after a very eventful drive where the entire convoy was led by our Armed Forces Friend in his Shuttle, DISCOVERER and yours truly remained a dedicated Sweep in SPITZER with a Thumping Heart and many moments where it would have jumped out!
I must not forget to mention the warmth that Ummer bhai extended to our Group, the Owner of Hotel Sounsar and Restaurant in the wee hours when we reached Sonmarg. Thank You Ummer Bhai!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-ummer_sonmarg.jpeg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-ummer-me.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sonmarg_2.jpeg

Day 5: 1st Aug 2017

A mesmerising drive awaits us from Sonmarg to Kargil and it’s a day when all of us had few minutes of moist eyes. Started the day at about 0900 Hrs and we would experience our first High Altitude Pass, the Zojila Pass. Had a very memorable moment where I had to literally climb with the rear right tyre on the Hill so that I can give Side to an Oncoming Truck in the narrow Rocky Stretch leading upto Zojila Pass.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-zojilla_4.jpeg

The first High Altitude Pass conquered we moved onto the Drass War Memorial and that’s when most of us were exposed to the harsh reality of the extreme sacrifices being made by our Armed Forces. It was a moment which got etched onto our minds for years to come to see the Indian Tricolour Fly High in the Wind with the mortal remains buried underneath! Stopped over at Selmen Drive Inn Hotel for Lunch and we couldn’t resist the temptation to touch and feel the icy cold waters and of course Meditate!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-medidation.jpeg

Reached Kargil Town at about 1700 Hrs (A First in many days to reach in a very timely manner) and had a very pleasant evening sitting by the murmuring river flowing by!

To be Contd ..

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 16:50.
soumobakshi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 18:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Dare to Live the Life, the Way I Always Wanted– Bangalore- Kashmir-Kanyakumari-Bangalore

Day 6: 2nd Aug 2017

An eventful drive awaits us from Kargil to Leh, where we had made our Prior Bookings @ Indus River Camp owned and managed by Nico Toller. A beautiful property which got transformed to an adventure retreat due to the Overflowing River.
Started our Journey at about 0730 Hrs and after a drive for about 1.5 Hrs took our first break of Yummy Parathas! With Hot and Steaming Parathas inside us we were all charged up to soak in to the vagaries of Ladakh Region where we saw different shades of Mountain and the mesmerising Lamayuru Hills, a Bit Over Hyped Magnetic Hills and The Historic Pathar Sahib!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-lamayuru.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-way-leh.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-leh-landscape_3.jpeg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pathar-sahib_1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pathar-sahib_2.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pathar-sahib_3.jpg
Well the day got a special twist where I met the Gang of Jeep Compass who were in the Leh region for an expedition of their own (Before the Grand Launch of the Vehicle). Seeing my KA Registered vehicle and knowing that I am the solo driver drving, they got interested and we started exchanging notes and was allowed to “Test” the Compass with a condition of no Photography, which I gladly obliged!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-duster_compass.jpeg

Next inline was the Leh Army Memorial and after an immersion in few more lessons of History about Leh, Ladakh and Indian Army, it was time to search and reach Indus River Camp, Choglamsar! Checked into the Property after an eventful River Crossing just before the Property Gate and finally I could say, I have been Leh’d !

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 14:57.
soumobakshi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 18:59   #3
BHPian

Re: Dare to Live the Life, the Way I Always Wanted– Bangalore- Kashmir-Kanyakumari-Bangalore

Day 7: 3rd Aug 2017

After the Gruelling Cross Country Drive, this was a day we decided to keep for Rest and Acclimatisation apart from visiting the notable places and Shopping in Leh Market.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-indus-rc_1.jpeg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-indus-rc_2.jpeg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-indus-rc_3.jpeg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-lehstupa_1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-leh_stupa_2.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-leh_stupa_3.jpg

Day 8: 4th Aug 2017

The Khardung-La Day, all of us had goose bumps when we started from Indus River Camp at about 0700 Hrs. Had a very memorable drive where the driver in us were continuously challenged by the terrain and oncoming traffic. Here we met the Jeep Compass gang again and initially they overtook our group only to get stuck in the numerous river crossings, and later we realised that most of the vehicles were being driven by first time Compass drivers as part of a Contest held by Jeep India. The climb was memorable and we reached on Top of Khardung-La at about 1000 Hrs1 It was indeed a moment that all of us had been looking forward and we exchanged Pleasantries with the Others who made it to the Top and it was Photo Session Time.

We were warned beforehand not to spend too long a time in Khardung-La as it might have an impact of AMS hitting us all. Left from Khardung-La at about 1045 Hrs towards Pattarpur and stopped at a wayside point around 1130 Hrs for our Breakfast and Hot-Hot Tea! Encountered the first Road Blockage and we were stuck on the beautiful Mountain roads for close to 1.5 Hrs, but then no one complained as the views were just too mesmerizing. We took a Lunch Break at about 1400 Hrs of Hot Rice, Dal and Omelette and it felt just perfect for the mood we were in! Reached Pattarpur at about 1550 Hrs where our frineds from the Armed Forces went in to seek Permission for our visit to Siachen Base Camp.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-khardungla_1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-khardungla_2.jpg

In a Very Interesting Discussion, with the Team Captain of Jeep!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-khardungla_3.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-khardungla_4.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-khardungla_5.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-khardungla2.jpg

After a brief halt we headed back towards Hundar where our stay was arranged in GREF Officer Mess. But we went into the Mess only after watching the famous dunes of Hundar and the Double Hunchback Camels!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-hunder1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-hunder.jpg

In the Evening we retired at the GREF ARMY Mess and settled for the Night! It was indeed an eventful day and all of us were now eager to visit Siachen Base Camp and OP Baba Shrine the next day.

To Be Contd..

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 15:13.
soumobakshi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 19:23   #4
BHPian

Day 9: 5th Aug 2017

Started from Hundar at about 0550 Hrs in order to see the Practice and Rigorous Training Sessions that every person deployed at SBC needs to undergo. We decided to skip a prepared breakfast and utilize the Cup Noodles that we all were carrying with Hot Water Made in car using the Water Warmer that we had. Crossed Sumoor – Tsongs –Upshi – Sasoma – Army Tea Stall and Check Post before our vehicles were scanned and let in to the Territory Rarely Travelled. We had Tea at the ARMY Stall and met a big convoy of vehicles coming back with the trained Men in Uniform back from SBC and realised that even the hard and tough men have had their share of AMS. We ensured to be extra cautious and covered all the delicate points like Finger Tips, Nose, Ear and applied generous amount of Petroleum Jelly on our Lips to prevent chapping.
1100 Hrs of 5th Aug 2017 is another memorable day where we set our foot and tyre mark on the Northern Most Motorable Point and we first went in to seek visit OP Baba Shrine and seek his blessings!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-op-baba.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sbc_op-baba_1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sbc_op-baba_2.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-op-baba-room.jpg

Before we moved in to the Training Area under supervision of Mr.Tribubhavan Pant the man in charge of the Training. We touched and felt the famous Glaciers that serves as the World’s Highest Military Training School.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sbc_glacier-piece.jpg

We moved on to the Reception Area and Met Col. A K Sharma the Base Cdr of SBC and was appraised of the importance and historical significance of the Siachen Base Camp. All of us had planned to carry few posters and handmade greetings card from the schools that our kids study in for the Soldiers who are protecting us and because of whom we can sleep in peace and drive across the country! Col. A K Sharma was gracious and received the small token from us and little sweets that we could carry on behalf of the Siachen Warriors. He made it extra sweet for me by sending a nicely worded Thank You Letter for my Daughter in his official letter head and posted from Siachen Base Camp! (It became a Cherished Possession of my Daughter and me).

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sbc_3.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sbc_4.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sbc_5.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sbc.jpeg

With a Heart full of Gratitude and lot of memories we left from SBC and drove back to Hundar GREF Officers Mess where we had decided to spend the night.

We had restrictions taking pictures in the Training area and hence only 1 pic is what I took with approval at the northern most point where any Land Driven Vehicle Can Go in India!
Attached Thumbnails
Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-sbc_2.jpeg  

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 15:08.
soumobakshi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:47   #5
BHPian

Day 10: 6th Aug 2017

0630 Hrs left Hundar and our Destination was Pangong Tso, enroute we visited Diskit Monastery where we Celebrated Anup’s Birthday and proceeded towards Agam only to realise that the Road was closed due to an overflowing Shylok River. We had to retrace our Tire Marks and head back to Khardung-La again (Yes we drove up to Khardung-La from both sides) and who would waste such an opportunity of one more photo session! Last time I had missed to visit the Shrine in all the excitement and I believed that was the primary reason why we had to come back to Khardung-La Again! It was then Back to Leh Town and that’s where we had the Birthday Lunch at Café Cloud at about 1400 Hrs. A memorable drive across Zingral Post and the mighty Chang-La pass led us to Lukung at about 1900 Hrs.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-changla_1.jpg

We decided to camp for the night next to the beautiful Lake and utilised our Tent, Sleeping Bags et all which we carried for an eventuality of Road Block. But then the starry night and cool breeze across the Lake proved that we had made a good decision of Camping instead of staying in a Rented Accommodation.

Day 11: 7th Aug 2017

Morning Session Started with Photography and it continued till about 1100 Hrs at the famous 3 Idiots Shooting Spot. Our Destination for the Day was the Famous Razang War Memorial and Chushul Army Camp.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pangon-tso.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pangong-tso_1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pangong_dress.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pangong-tso_2.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pangong-tso_3.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pangong-tso.jpeg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-rezangla.jpg

A few Curious Onlookers..

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-before-hanle.jpg

We crossed Man – Merak – Panamik (Hot Spring) and then proceeded to Chushul.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-chushul.jpg

After the necessary approvals were obtained at the Army Camp, we were let in and then we settled in the Warm Hospitality of the Army where they served us with delicious and warm food for all of us and then we retired for the night.

To be Contd..

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 18:05.
soumobakshi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:54   #6
BHPian

Day 12: 8th Aug 2017

Due to the Overflowing Indus River the road had submerged completely and the only way to cross Loma Bend was to do it as early as possible in the day, post which the ice melting increases and so does the water level. With this in our mind we had an early morning exit at about 0630 Hrs from Chushul and on the way we had a quick breakfast and drove till Loma Y Bend which will take us to Hanle, our destination for the day.
Only after reaching Loma did we realise the gravity of the situation wherein we were unable to make out which was the erstwhile road and which is the actual river! We waited for a while to strategize and then we decided that one of us will walk the stretch in order to chalk out a route that all the 6 vehicles will follow. Luckily we found a man in uniform who guided us in this activity and all the 6 vehicles were able to cross the mighty Indus without any eventuality, sans one. VOYAGER was an AWD Duster and was the first to go into the water and due a small oversteering it ran into deep water and resulted into losing the license plate.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-water-crossing.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-water-crossing-1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-enroute-before-water1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-eroute-before-water.jpg

We reached Hanle at about 1300 Hrs and we checked into Royal Adventure Hanle Home Stay (Near to Padma Home Stay) a rather new HomeStay option in Hanle; and just like any other Home Stays it was run by the lady of the house. Had a very pleasant stay and food there all prepared by the Lady of the House. After finishing our Lunch we visited the Gompa and spotted BlackNeck Cranes before moving up to the famous Hanle Observatory. We were given a rundown of the Observatory and its significance and then headed back to The Home Stay.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-hanle_1.jpg

The Gompa!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-gompa.jpg

The Unique Animals of Ladakh Region!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-animals.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-animals1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-animals2.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-animals3.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-animals5.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-animals4.jpg

Had a very nice late evening Camp Fire and ended the day on High Spirits with good snacks and beverage in the company.

To be Contd..

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 18:07.
soumobakshi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:03   #7
BHPian

Day 13: 9th Aug 2017

0815 Hrs and we left Royal Adventure Hanle Home Stay after a nice breakfast prepared by the Lady of the House for our Hungry Group (Bhukkars), destination was Tso-Moriri. We had to cross the dreaded Loma Bend and this time we were informed that the river is flowing a bit heavy and not to venture into water without a bigger Vehicle or an Army Gypsy. Soon we were Obliged with a BSF Gypsy who gladly escorted us out of the Deep Waters of River Indus and we didn’t even get a proper chance to thank him for his deed! Luckily we crossed the Mighty Indus without any serious eventuality for all the 6 vehicles and reached the Y Bend at Sumdo and took a much deserved Tea Break at about 1200 Hrs. From there it was a 3 Hour drive to Tso Moriri where we found another beautiful Home Stay adjacent to the Lake. Since we reached early we all decided to take an Afternoon Siesta and hit the bed. Only when I woke up in the evening at about 1900 Hrs did I realise the mistake. I was literally shivering due to the cold winds blowing down from the icy peaks and I had to literally run inside the Car to protect myself from the Chill while I was on call with my family back home.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-near-tso-moriri.jpg

Day 14: 10th Aug 2017

The Last Day in Ladakh! Left Tso Moriri at about 0800 Hrs and our Destination was Keylong in Himachal Pradesh.
We crossed the beautiful Tsokar – More Plains – Kang-La – Lachung-La – Naker - La – Gata Looops (21 in Number) – Sarchu (We had our Lunch here at Fauji Restro) – Zing Zing Bar – Darche – Jispa – Keylong.
We retired at Hotel Deykid, Keylong and it was after 11 Days that we found a Hotel that we were used to in our Urban Life and it felt very relaxing after a Hot Water bath in the Hotel. We finished our Dinner at about 2100 Hrs and retired to the Bed with loads of Memories from Ladakh!

Couple of Witty Pics which continues to bring a Smile when I look at them..

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-witty-pics.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-witty2.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-me.jpg

The Icy Memories with the Dusty still fresh in my Mind!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-ice-ice-2.jpeg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-ice-ice-3.jpeg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-ice-ice.jpeg

To be Contd..

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 18:08.
soumobakshi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:12   #8
BHPian

Day 15: 11th Aug 2017:

Started from Hotel Deykid at 0800 Hrs and we had Manali as the destination in Mind. Enroute we climbed Rohtang Pass and stopped at about 1030 Hrs for some spicy Bhel Puri, chai and Photo Session.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-rohtang-pass.jpeg

Next Stop for us was at Bhuttico in Kullu to pick up shawls and Himachal Special Caps.
We continued on our journey and reached Manali at about 1240 Hrs and we decided to have Lunch in Manali and reassessed our situation post which we decided to revise our target to Mandi. We encountered a small road blockage due to Land Slide and were able to reach Valley View Hotel in Mandi by about 2030 Hrs.

PATH FINDER (Fahim) and SPITZER (Self) decided to visit Amritsar Golden Temple and Wagah Border which the others in the Group decided to skip and proceed straight towards Indore via Jaipur.

Day 16: 12th Aug 2017:

This is the day when the group split into 2 and 4 cars. 2 Cars PATH FINDER and SPITZER moved towards Amritsar, Golden Temple and Wagah while the others continued towards Chandigarh. Left Mandi at about 0700 Hrs after bidding the others a short Bye till we meet again at Indore. It was a memorable drive into Kartarpur, Punjab where we had one of the best Pakoda’s and Chai on the way to Amritsar.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-punjab1.jpg

We reached Amritsar at about 1230 Hrs and after parking our vehicles in the MLCP near to the Golden Temple we went inside the Golden Temple to seek blessings and sprinkle water from the holy Sarovar. We were informed that we got our Wagah visit request approved by BSF for a VIP visit and we were to report by 1600 Hrs, we were inside the Golden Temple Complex till 1530 Hrs and looked reasonable enough. Little did we realise that getting out of Golden Temple Complex and Amritsar City will take such a long time.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-amritsar_1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-amritsar_2.jpg

It was about 1620 Hrs when we eventually hit the Highways and were on the way to Wagah Border. After Validation at couple of Check Posts manned by BSF we finally reached the Border Reception Area and parked our vehicles at about 1700 Hrs. We swiftly moved inside the Visitor’s Gallery and witnessed the Flag Down Ceremony jointly organised by BSF and Pakistani Rangers. It was very Hot and Humid but the atmosphere in the Indian Side was of festivity and pomp which didn’t allow us to think anything else other than being Glued to the Celebrations.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-wagah_1.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-wagah2.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-wagah3.jpg

After picking up a few souvenirs’ we moved into the Parking area and realised that SPITZER is about to hit the 50000 Km Mark and no better place to have that than the IND – PAK Border area!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-50k.jpg

It was a long drive ahead of us and we took our Dinner break at Ferozepur and we got the taste of Urban Food in the form of Cheesy Chicken Pizza! After the dinner from 2230 Hrs we continued to drive in Punjab.

To Be Contd ..

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 16:52.
soumobakshi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:44   #9
BHPian

Day 17: 13th Aug 2017:

Our Drive Continued into Punjab and at about 0030 Hrs both of us decided that we need to take a break from driving and found a HP Fuel Bunk where we parked our vehicles and slept in the car for the about 2.5 Hours amidst a howling dog! We washed our face and continued sipping onto Red Bull and started driving towards Rajasthan. It was an uneventful drive and we reached a small village called Pallu at about morning 0700 Hrs .. We decided to take a break for a few hours and refresh ourselves. Finished our Breakfast of hot Aloo Piyaz Parotha with masala Chai and retired for a few hours. By the time we woke up it was about 1030 Hrs and we the cold water felt heavenly in the heat of Rajasthan when we took a shower. Had requested for few more parathas to be packed for us and we left Pallu Village at about 1200 Hrs, destination Indore.
The roads in Rajasthan was a dream to drive and after the much needed break for the machines and the mortals we hit the road and how!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-rj1.jpg

We drove literally non-stop and late into the evening we realised that we had actually crossed our other team who left from Jaipur. Finished our Dinner and extended break at about 2230 Hrs; we realised that we are trailing the party by about 10 Kms and after a while we all were back as a single convoy.

Day 18: 14th Aug 2017:

The roads in MP is flooded with Cattle and there was no difference for us, reached Botapur in the outskirts of Indore where we checked into hotel Manal at 0230 Hrs and retired for the day. Restarted from Botapur at about 0900 Hrs with set destination as Pune where we had a few friends from the Duster Community waiting to host us for a Dinner.

At Dhule, Huzefa decided to drop out and had informed his family to come over and pick him up as it would be nearer for him to reach Aurangabad than continuing with us till Pune. Post Lunch we had Huzefa leave the Convoy with his family and we continued towards Pune.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pune_1.jpg

The entire Pune Gang of the Duster Community came over to meet us and host us for a wonderful Dinner. Must say that we all felt Privileged to have such a great company!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-pune2.jpg

Day 19: 15th Aug 2017:

This was the last day of our planned Trip and we were to reach Bangalore by EOD. I had different plans and my Target was Kanyakumari in order to complete the K2K drive (Kashmir to Kanyakumari)
We left from Pune at about 0930 Hrs and the Bangalore Team moved together while Vizag and Mumbai team separated out from Pune after a sense of accomplishment of doing the Trip of our Life Together! Continued our drive till Kolhapur where we parked our vehicles and took an Auto Ride to venture deep inside the town to pick up Kolhapuri Chappals and a memorable Lunch!
Restarted our Drive towards Karnataka and at about 1500 Hrs we entered KA and was greeted by a heavy downpour.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-back2ka.jpg

Our drive continued and after a Dinner Break Enroute we hit the Nice Road-Tumkur Road Junction from where SPITZER took a deviation and proceeded towards Hosur Road. Drive Continued into late night and had to stop a couple of times for tea break to keep me awaken.

To Be Contd ..

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 18:12.
soumobakshi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:57   #10
BHPian

Day 20: 16th Aug 2017:

Late Night drive continued and as the roads are butter smooth in most of the stretches I found myself in the vicinity of Madurai city where I called in to Hotel Temple Bells for a quick stop over and refreshment at 0430 Hrs. After a much deserved break and refreshment continued my journey towards Kanyakumari at about 1000 Hrs. Reached Kanyakumari around 1245 Hrs and headed straight to a point where it was perfect for Photo Session! First it was the Kanyakumari Railway Station, followed by the Road Adjacent to the Sea, it was truly a Sense of Accomplishment !!!

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-kanyalumari.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-kanyakumari.jpeg

After that parked the Vehicle and took a boat Ride to Vivekananda Rocks and spent a few moments before restarting the last leg of the Journey, Bangalore Calling at 1630 Hrs.

This was a very uneventful drive and the dinner break was planned at Burma Kadai, off Madurai Road. It was a nice dinner and the impact was evident on my drive once I left from there at about 2100 Hrs.

Day 21: 17th Aug 2017:

After multiple Chewing Gums and Red Bull, I decided to take a break and parked near Dharmapuri Bypass for a Power Nap. When the Power Nap turned into a Deep Sleep, little did I know; when I woke up again it was 0330 Hrs!
Washed my face and car Windscreen / Headlights and restarted the journey with a lookout for the first Tea Shop. And as luck would have it I found one open for business and had 2 Cups of Filter Coffee and was back on the road. By the time I crossed into Karnataka Border it was about 0545 Hrs and then a drive back home, Sweet Home!

And thus concluding Trip of My Life covering 9600+ Kms spread over 21 Days, 11 States & 1 UT and 1 Single Driver.
With the K2K (North to South) done and Dusted, its only time when I hit the Road Again to map East to West. “It’s Hard to resist the Call of the Road”

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 18:16.
soumobakshi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:25   #11
BHPian

Before I wind Up the Post let me share a Pic of the Ride getting washed off its Dirt and Grime accumulated over the last 21 Days from across the Country! And Of Course me Posing with a Neat and Clean Ride later.

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-vehicle-getting-wash.jpg

Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari-bonus-pics.jpeg

List of Essentials including Medicines:

MEDICINES 1. Diamox (AMS), Avomine, Metrogyl, betatine, Disprin, Digene, Band aid, Candid B, Electral, Moov spray or balm, paracetamol, Crepe Bandage, Combiflam

SNACKS: Biscuits, Nuts-Almonds, cashew, Peanut, Peanut cake Dry grapes, Any type of chocolates-sneakers and nut chocolates preferred Gatorade, Blue, Glucose, Red Bull

OTHER IMPORTANT ESSENTIALS 1. Post paid connection-BSNL more range, Basic model mobile 2. POWER bank 3. Sun glasses, Night vision glasses( if required) 4. Sunsreen lotion, Moisturizer, Olive oil,lip balm,Deodrant 5. Wet tissue paper, Toilet paper 6. Torch light, Safety pin, tooth brush,Paste, Best to Carry Mouthwash 7. Lots of polythene bags 8. Water bottles 9.Cup Noodles, 10. Bathroom slippers(essential) 11. 20L Jerrican for Diesel

Trip Log Sheet meticulously Maintained by Sindhoo ; Fastag Toll Collection Report ; Offline Toll and Parking Fees Paid ; Fuel Expenses Break-Up with Cost are all Attached in here.

My Heartfelt Gratitude to;

1. Team-BHP Community which gave me the courage to take up this challenging Drive

2. HVK Sir and the HVK Forum for the tips and guidance in planning our trip

3. D K Pandit Sir and Ladakh Return Forum for their innumerable suggestions.

4. Abhay from Terraquest Expedition, who helped us in setting the Ball Rolling and would have done the expedition with them unless all of us agreed to do it on our own

5. Snehasis Sinha for helping us with the last minute details from his experience by virtue of his recent Family Trip to Leh and Beyond.

And a Strong Support from my Wife Swetha and Daughter Saloni to allow me in venturing out on a challenging drive to quench my thirst of Living Life to the Fullest
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fastag_Trip Of My Life.pdf (355.2 KB, 1129 views)
File Type: pdf Fuel_Expenses_Breakup.pdf (337.7 KB, 1279 views)
File Type: pdf Offline Tolls_Trip Of My Life.pdf (358.4 KB, 714 views)
File Type: pdf Log Sheet.pdf (363.6 KB, 7337 views)
File Type: pdf Trip Of My Life_Map.pdf (818.9 KB, 964 views)

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 18:21.
soumobakshi is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 18:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

re: Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari

Note from Support: Thread moved to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 19:09   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dare to live life the way I always wanted: Bangalore - Kashmir - Kanyakumari

Let me be one of the first one (if someone else doesn't post before I click submit) to congratulate you guys. Job well done..

Your travelogue holds special interest to me because on one of the weekday mornings few months before, around 0635-45am, I could spot few Dusters waiting in front of Esteem Mall towards Hyderabad while I was on my way to work. One of the cars I guess even had a flag indicating that it was the Pilot? The stickers on the door in your pictures here somehow confirm that it was indeed you guys.

Glad to have spotted you folks just when you were starting your sojourn and once again congratulations.

EDIT: And I did mention about you in July

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Only last Friday morning, I noticed at least 8 Dusters parked on the shoulder in front of Esteem Mall (Bangalore) facing towards Hyderabad with the first one having typical flags like a pilot/marshal car has during certain events. There was this huge textual sticker covering the entire length of the car with "Bangalore to Leh" as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd November 2017 at 19:20.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 19:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Let me be one of the first one (if someone else doesn't post before I click submit) to congratulate you guys. Job well done..

Glad to have spotted you folks just when you were starting your sojourn and once again congratulations.

EDIT: And I did mention about you in July
Wow! Looks like i missed your post. Please tag the link for that post. Maybe in next Bangalore Short Meet we will catch up

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd November 2017 at 19:32.
soumobakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:11   #15
BHPian

Awesome man, this is what we yearn for. Great travelogue. Would have been perfect, if you were at Wagah on 15th August.
Thanks for sharing the log sheets and other expenses.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks