Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2018, 18:42   #31
BHPian

Re: An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan

Absolutely stunning write-up boss!! I devoted the sunday afternoon for this, and i am sure, if i had a background song playing, my virtual trip to bhutan would have been complete!

The XUV seems to be absolutely happy to keep up with Mr.D's mini-tantrums and mega roadtrips, and must be the envy of other cars everywhere!

Great pics as usual, and it's motivating enough to make me rethink my shelved roadtrip to the east-coast of India.
rajoy123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 19:36   #32

Don't have words to describe such an amazing write up, Mr D. Salutes to your effort for putting a fabulous T'log. You've got a brave family. It'll only inspire young men like me to keep pushing on what I see as a challenge and living the dream of traveling.

Also, your XUV500 deserves huge respect matching up to your passion. One among the lot to chase the godly miles. She's a beast.
PrimeDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 20:17   #33
BHPian

An absolutely amazing travelogue by XUV 500 or should I give some credit to Mr. D as well. I am short of adjectives actually.

Quick questions, were you only driven by Mr. D or Mrs. D drove you as well? Also, is the Indian currency accepted or we need to get it exchanged, as Bhutan trip is just on the next page of itenary!

Cheers!
DBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 21:21   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
Absolutely stunning write-up boss!!
Great pics as usual, and it's motivating enough to make me rethink my shelved roadtrip to the east-coast of India.
Thanks a lot Rajoy123 for your very kind words. Well, as for your shelved road trip to Vizag, I can't motivate you any better than this travelogue. May be the one to Tawang too.
Your trip to Ladakh is also pending buddy. May be you should give some rest to those sardines and press the pedal on your humble monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeDrive View Post
Don't have words to describe such an amazing write up, Mr D. Salutes to your effort for putting a fabulous T'log.
Thanks a lot PrimeDrive. Very kind words indeed. Much humbled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
An absolutely amazing travelogue by XUV 500 or should I give some credit to Mr. D as well. I am short of adjectives actually.

Quick questions, were you only driven by Mr. D or Mrs. D drove you as well? Also, is the Indian currency accepted or we need to get it exchanged, as Bhutan trip is just on the next page of itenary!

Cheers!
Thanks a lot DBeast.
I was driven only by Mr D. The good lady doesn't know to drive. Mr D has tried his best, rubbed his nose to the ground and bled; yet Mrs D has staunchly denied taking the wheel. So, all of my 80,000 km in the odo and the 1,05,000 km in the Figo (which he owned previously) was gleefully munched by Mr D himself.
Well, Mr D loves to drive. So, he is rather jubilant behind the wheel.

Indian currency is accepted all across Bhutan.
However, the balance that you get when you pay at a store, might be in Bhutan currency. Make sure that you finish spending it off before you cross over the border into India. Ofcourse, I don't have to spell out such things; these are automatically catered for.

Even if you change currency, you get equivalent money as exchange. you don't lose, nor gain. Bhutan is a dependent economy of India and the value remains the same.
Old 10th September 2018, 23:22   #35
BHPian

Re: Immigration and Own Car Permit Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Immigration Procedure

(d) Registration Certificate - two copies. (The name should be the same as entered in immigration permit)..
Firstly a heartfelt congratulations and would like to thank you for posting this at perfect timing. To me it sounds like a Bible for Bhutan roadtrip. Well I shallll be driving next month to Bhutan in my swift Zdi.
As mentioned by you, registeration certificate should be same as entered in immigration certificate. Will that be Ok if car is registered in name of my uncle, though I share last name with him. If not, then is there any way out for the same ?
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 01:07   #36
BHPian

Ultimate writeup bro. Yet to read the full thing. Will do so at my leisure. Appol ellam parjha pole. Kilometers and kilometers to go...

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 07:54   #37
BHPian

Wonderful trip! And great pictures.

The pictures of the viewpoint and the Buddha statue in particular inspire me to undertake a trip there.

I have been thinking about your route upwards. Why Pune-Nashik to Sagar instead of NH 7/44 from Bangalore to Sagar and Lucknow, I mean. Sagar to Gorakhpur...means you must have traveled via the road in front of my apartment in Lucknow After travelling "kilometers and kilometers", you could have had a stopover, if not in the "junction"
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
"Papa, How many more Kilometres?" Junior D queried innocently.
Sir, As we South Indians say, this is a "Class" thread. You are a boss for doing this travelogue.
Seriously envy you and your dedication in doing the travelogue and then comprehensively writing down your experiences with excellent photos.
Wish I can do this journey sometime in the future.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 14:31   #39

Awesome dhanushmenon!
reminiscent of one of my most memorable trip to NE including Bhutan in my 320d I am not good at travelogue. The route, the places and my car never disappointed me during that trip. 320d never ran out of breathe on these routes, pure driving pleasure reaching its peak on Dochula Pass. Just to give a glimpse of the route I followed…
Attached Images

Dr GB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 14:44   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
As mentioned by you, registeration certificate should be same as entered in immigration certificate. Will that be Ok if car is registered in name of my uncle, though I share last name with him. If not, then is there any way out for the same ?
Thanks a lot for your kind words of encouragement.
Name is the Registration Certificate should be exactly what should be mentioned on the Immigration document too.
AFAIK, the car you drive should be in your name for you to be allowed to drive inside Bhutan. Atleast the person by whose name the car is registered should be in the car. That is the reason why you cannot take a self drive car (like zoom cars et al) to Bhutan. However, this is as per my limited knowledge. I am sure there will be some procedure which might help you. You might have to approach through the embassy for the same.

For eg: Adhaar card is not a valid identity proof for Bhutan. They need either your election ID, Passport or Birth certificate (for children). However, they accept Adhaar cards if it is endorsed from the Indian Embassy.

Likewise, there should be something that might enable you to travel in someone else's car too.
Surnames being same, won't make a difference to them anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Ultimate writeup bro. Yet to read the full thing. Will do so at my leisure. Appol ellam parjha pole. Kilometers and kilometers to go...

FundaG
Thanks a lot fundagenie.
Now, its time for you to design a sticker for me.
"Kilometres and Kilometres..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
I have been thinking about your route upwards. Why Pune-Nashik to Sagar instead of NH 7/44 from Bangalore to Sagar and Lucknow, I mean. Sagar to Gorakhpur...means you must have traveled via the road in front of my apartment in Lucknow
Thank you Vipin. I took Pune- Nashik- Sagar because I had a wedding to attend at Pune. Therefore, the route was a circuitous one, drawing almost the shape of an egg by the time I reached back Kochi.
Well, yes; I might have crossed in front of your apartment in Lucknow. We also did stop over for some chikan work saree and Tunday Kebabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
After travelling "kilometers and kilometers", you could have had a stopover, if not in the "junction"
I thought of stopping over after the many Kilometres. However, as you know, "There is no junction in America!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Sir, As we South Indians say, this is a "Class" thread. You are a boss for doing this travelogue.
Seriously envy you and your dedication in doing the travelogue and then comprehensively writing down your experiences with excellent photos.
Wish I can do this journey sometime in the future.
Thanks a lot Ithaca. It's just because of the blessings from well wishers like you that I get the motivation to pen in something. Otherwise, as you know,
Quote:
Mr D is lazy. Period!
Old 11th September 2018, 21:28   #41
BANNED

KL-02 and Wren and Martin! I have to ask, you an Infant Jesus Alumni?
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 21:57   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GB View Post
Awesome dhanushmenon!
reminiscent of one of my most memorable trip to NE including Bhutan in my 320d I am not good at travelogue. The route, the places and my car never disappointed me during that trip. 320d never ran out of breathe on these routes, pure driving pleasure reaching its peak on Dochula Pass. Just to give a glimpse of the route I followed…
Awesome!!
That's a droolworthy drive. You should have definitely had a great time. With the spread of places visited, it looks really appealing. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
KL-02 and Wren and Martin! I have to ask, you an Infant Jesus Alumni?
Ha ha. Absolutely!!!
Ex Ore Infantium Perfecisti Laudem.

I take it that you belong to the same herd too!
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 00:06   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Ha ha. Absolutely!!!
Ex Ore Infantium Perfecisti Laudem.

I take it that you belong to the same herd too!
Indeed! Graduated High School in 2008

Kudos on the travelogue, hope to cross paths someday on the highways.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 07:13   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Indeed! Graduated High School in 2008

Kudos on the travelogue, hope to cross paths someday on the highways.
Thanks brother.
I graduated ISC in 2000. Seems a long while ago!!
Old 12th September 2018, 11:14   #45
BHPian

A brilliant log with lovely pictures and a very engaging narration. Rated 5 stars!

Your logs contain so much precise information that one can follow it to a T for one's own trips. I recently made use of your extremely detailed log on Tawang for my own trip to Sangti. Thanks for sharing and please carry on the great work!
gunin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks