Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 00:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend

After fully drowning on my new found love for Scooters (full restoration documented here), little did I know I will invoke love for Scooters to some of my friends too.

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_092716.jpg

After reading my restoration page, my friend quickly pinged me and sought help finding a Bajaj Legend for him. I did not know much about it, though had seen one here and there, all I could remember of them was it always used to be in a battered shape. He quickly filled me in with all the details about the engine and was surprised to learn that it was 4 stroke engine. I assured him I will find a good one and the hunt began. In very few weeks, I was lucky to spot a Legend advertised in Mangalore. Requested for photos and they looked good. It was a single owner Scooter that had run about 50k kms. By far, this was the best Legend I had ever seen, my friend too agreed. By chance, had been to a fun trip to Mangalore a couple of weeks ago with D-Bhpian Parag and 2 other friends. We happened to see the scooter, it was more of a formality as the decision was already made looking at the pics. We met him briefly as it wasn't the right time for the owner as he was in the middle of something very important. I tried to call and chat with him to take things forward, nothing happened on that day. HE told he could speak only the next day, fair enough as I too was convinced he was busy.

The next day we spoke and the deal was finalised. Seller agreed to deliver Scooter only after transfer formalities. One of my friends who frequents Mangalore happened to visit Mangalore a week after and he managed to get the signatures for transfer after we made the owner an online payment. We quickly rushed it through an agent for Transfer and it was done in just 4-5 working days.

Part of the deal made to my friend was if I should be involved in getting the Legend to Bangalore, he wholeheartedly agreed. We roughly decided we do this on March 8th and 9th

On 20th evening my friend called me and says let's do this week itself and on 22nd. I was kind of shocked and also kind of excited. Here is how the rest of the conversation went:

San: Why don't we go to Mangalore in your Chetak?

ME: *Laughed out real loud* Sandeep, have you gone mad or something? Who would ride to Mangalore in a Scooter?

San: Come on man. You got your S1 from Nashik, was quite an adventure. You got my S1 also from Nashik. Who would have imagined these were possible on old classics, especially the car's condition unknown to you.

ME: That's all different experiences man. Biking is different, you don't know much about how less comfortable Scooters are.

San: Ok man. You tell me how do we go about. Keep in mind, even I want to be involved and you can't be selfish and have it all.

ME: (After a minutes thought) How about these options:
1) I go overnight by train and ride it back till Hassan. You come to Hassan by bus. You ride from Hassan to Bangalore while I take the bus.
2) You come by train to Mangalore. I ride the Mojo to Mangalore. NExt day we ride the Legend and Mojo half and half as Mojo will comfort us if the crudeness of Scooter ride bites us.

San: Ok. You choose whatever option you like. I am fine with any. Hangs up the phone.

I started thinking multiple things. One part of me was preparing for the 2 options above, while another part was thinking if I could really ride my Chetak to Mangalore and ride it back the next day? Will I jeopardize the entire plan? Will I screw up my back in doing this? Every possible thing my mind was thinking and getting confused.

I called back my friend:
ME: Man, I was thinking of riding the Chetak to Mangalore.

San: Woohoo! Awesome. Don't worry man, it will go well. I have a lot of experiences with 2 wheeler, especially with Jawa/Yezdi and RoadKing. We will pull it off.

ME: Okay man. I literally have no time for preparation. Let me hurry up and plan for it.

San: Okay. 2 of us on your Chetak will not be comfortable for either of us. I will take a bus or train while you ride to Mangalore.

Me: Sure thing. Book a ticket at least 3 hours later than my scheduled start. You will act as my backup. In case I can't ride, I will pull over at the next toll booth and wait for you. You alight the bus and ride further while I hop into your bus

San: Hope we don't have to do that.

Made a quick checklist on what I needed for the ride:
Self:
  • Power bank
  • Charger
  • Pair of clothes, goggles, shoes
  • Basic medication

Scooter:
  • Fit back the spare wheel.
  • Buy Kinetic 2T oil
  • Have the means to measure 2T oil
  • Bungee Rope to tie luggage
  • Clutch inner cable
  • Clutch inner + outer
  • Gear cable
  • Accelerator cable
  • Brake cable
  • Spark plug
  • Engine oil
  • Mobile Holder
  • Plug Spanner
  • Wheel Spanner
  • Cutting Plier

Safety:
  • Jacket
  • Riding gloves
  • Euro standard helmet [SMK Twister]
  • Helmet Bluetooth kit (Not to use while riding, but to avoid taking off the helmet to speak)
  • First aid kit

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th March 2019 at 23:16. Reason: Thanks for sharing. Minor typos corrected.
funkykar is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend

I really had to rush through all preparation for my Scooter and things to carry. As my friend had strongly advised to use Kinetic 2T and avoid oil available at the pump, a new challenge emerged. Nowadays, no pump has the small measuring units to measure oil as literally no pump sells loose 2T. I thought very hard last minute on what to use as a measuring unit. I couldn't think of any idea apart from asking my 2-year-old daughter to part with her spare milk bottle. Don't know what she understood, but she gave me (otherwise is super possessive).

Every petrol pump, all the attendants and customers burst into laughter this point onward:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_080947.jpg

My Chetak all set for the expedition! I literally sneaked out and pushed the scooter few meters as no one knew I was going on the Scooter!
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_085424.jpg

The SMK Twister, SAFETY is a MUST:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_085447.jpg

The odo just before start:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_085454.jpg

Filled her tummy full!
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_092511.jpg

Odo at the pump, to calculate kmpl later:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_092716.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th March 2019 at 23:18. Reason: Thanks for sharing. Minor typos corrected.
funkykar is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Once the Chetak was filled up and I started the ride. The sun was shining, clear and bright day as summer is just setting in. It was really a mixed emotion for me. I was nervously very excited. In the back of my mind, I still felt this was an absurd idea and in reality did not tell ANYONE that I was going on such a ride. I did that because it would be too embarrassing for me if I pulled out of it midway. Except me and Sandeep no one else knew. I only shared my live location with BHPian Arun1100 so that someone back home knows where I am. However, I did not reveal to him where I was going nor how I was going.

As I initially had sneaked out in stealth mode from home, I had to pull over, arrange all the spares in dickey, secure my luggage and so on. It took a good 20 minutes. The bungee rope was super duper helpful!

This is how my Grand Tourer looked like:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_101541.jpg

Cruising speed [Captured by timer mode helped by mobile holder preset earlier]
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_101125.jpg

Devihalli Toll Booth:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_101404.jpg

Just after the toll booth. Installed this thing that helps cruise without giving pain in the wrist. Much later I realized I had installed it incorrectly , but never mind, it still did the job. Was super helpful and couldn't imagine how the ride would have been without it. It literally was like cruise control.

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_101513.jpg
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_101525.jpg

Just posing after the toll booth:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_101548.jpg
Just poising after the toll booth:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_101600.jpg
Just poising after the toll booth:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_101612.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 27th March 2019 at 08:54. Reason: Thanks for sharing. Minor typos corrected.
funkykar is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 20:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

By the time I finished 50+ kilometers, I felt very good and confidence of making it started growing. The scooter was comfortably cruising in speeds of 70-90kmph. Being a weekday, the traffic was pretty low and most time the roads were all mine. The sun really was blazing, but the wind was sufficient in keeping me cool. Thanks to the air vents of the SMK Twister, my head too was cool. This helmet has a dual visor that meant I did not have to take my goggles out. I could flip on/off the cooler visor that was extremely convenient.

Though I did not require a break, for the love of a good coffee, I stopped at Hotel Dhruvataare. It was worthy of a stop to sip excellent filter coffee.

At Dhruva Taare hotel parking lot:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_111025.jpg

View from my table:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_111058.jpg

Me sipping coffee-selfie:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_111611.jpg

Pic at their parking lot:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_112053.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_112126.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_112134.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_112247.jpg

A selfie with my Scooter, just before resuming the ride:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_112304.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 25th March 2019 at 14:41.
funkykar is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 20:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

While I continued to ride after coffee, my confidence to make it to Mangalore with ease grew larger and larger. Soon after, my mind already started thinking if I should take the standard Shiradi ghat or take the Charmadi ghat. Taking Shiradi means I have a friend coming a couple of hours behind me. If I am too tired riding, he could hop off and continue to ride. However, my comfort level on the scooter was so high I decided to take the longer and more time-consuming Charmadi ghat. I quickly called up my friend and told him I will no longer be on his route and we directly meet at Mangalore. He was happy to know my comfort level and was perfectly Ok with it.

Pic of Tollbooth just before my first re-fuel:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_114708.jpg

Here is the milk bottle holding the 2T oil
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_124050.jpg

Fuel receipt. Filled to the brim. I actually took pic of this for mileage calculation purpose:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_124431.jpg

A poise at the fuel station:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_124611.jpg

Just posing on the highway:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_133141.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_133214.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_133220.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_133238.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_133302.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_134844.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2019 at 08:06. Reason: Poising used 6 times :). Changing to posing. Thanks for sharing!
funkykar is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 15:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

I continued to cruise along the butter smooth highway and took the Belur road as I intended to do Charmadi Ghat. Surprisingly, the Hassan-Belur road also was nice and smooth. Keeping in mind lot of kilometers to ride and my friend chasing me in time on a KSRTC Volvo and also not to loose tempo of the run, I decided to give a quick stop at one of the hotels in Belur just to have a quick lunch. If not, I may have chosen to call DBhpian Parag and visit a hotel I had visited few years ago that served lip smacking Masala Dosa.

The Dosa I had at an unknown hotel was mediocre. It served the purpose of a light lunch.

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_141028.jpg

I continued on and passed Mudigere and stopped by Kottigehaara at Bean Stack Cafe. With the sun blazing, still felt like having a cup of good coffee. I have been at this cafe few times before and I know coffee is good here. Since I anyway stopped, I refueled here though it wasn't necessary.

The yummy coffee at Bean Stalk Cafe:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_153436.jpg

Fuel station right next to cafe:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_153510.jpg
Old 25th March 2019, 15:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

In no time I raced along and already was in the mesmerizing ghats of Karnataka, Charmadi. Even on a sunny afternoon when the summer is just setting in, it was beautiful as ever and a treat to the eye.

The road was butter smooth! The scooter ride also was so smooth and felt like a Volvo double axle scooter

I stopped by for a few pictures:
Scoot poising at Charmadi:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_160106.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_160119.jpg

A selfie at Charmadi:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_160210.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_160216.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_160221.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_161455.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_161516.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_161528.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_161532.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_161541.jpg

Another selfie at Charmadi:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_161552.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 25th March 2019 at 15:31.
funkykar is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 15:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

I soon arrived in Mangalore. The seller of the Legend scooter had agreed upon to meet near famous AJ Hospital. Just minutes after arriving he came. He was super happy to see a well restored scooter and checked it out fully. He then exclaimed 'Where in Mangalore your friend (owner of this scooter) stays?'. When I told it was mine and I rode all the way from Bangalore, he froze for a while and was stunned . He just couldn't believe it! Honestly, even I couldn't believe it

Few minutes after I arrived:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_184121.jpg

Selfie with seller of the Legend Scooter:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_184730.jpg

We completed the paper work quickly. Soon after he handed over the Scooter and left. I waited for my friend for a while and finally he arrived at Pumpwell, Mangalore. He couldn't find any rickshaw to AJ Hospital. He called me and narrated his struggle, I quickly raced to Pumpwell on my Chetak and picked him and arrived back at AJ Hospital. He checked out the Scooter and was happy with it. We rode both the Scooters to Hotel Poonja where we had booked a room.

Front picture of both Scooters together:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_184752.jpg

Side picture of both Scooters together:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_184804.jpg

Back picture of both Scooters together:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_184815.jpg

After checking into Hotel Poonja, we quickly refreshed and headed to Shetty Lunch home restaurant. I ordered my usual delicacies and my friend ordered some veg Mangalore delicacies. He did not like one bit and I ended up eating all of it. I was so full that I had to skip ice cream at my favorite Ice Cream joint Pabbas.

Nangu fish:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_205219.jpg

Ganji with Yetti Chutney:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_211307.jpg

Baby corn ghee roast:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_211312.jpg

Yetti Chetney (Prawns):
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190222_211318.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 25th March 2019 at 15:46.
Old 25th March 2019, 16:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I expected myself to have a lot of body pain with close to 400kms I rode. I absolutely felt nothing and was just fine. Then I thought, I will probably wake up with a sour body, wasnt the case. We started the next day leisurely, had breakfast at Poonja itself to save us time of riding to a hotel and so on.

The breakfast provided was pretty good and satisfying. The coffee and tea were not up to the mark though.

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_090202.jpg

The Parking lot of Poonja:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_094416.jpg

Selfie at Parking lot of Poonja:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_094500.jpg

One for the road:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_102920.jpg

We continued our ride just fine and stopped in between to check the vitals of the Legend proactively, replaced plugs, topped the oil and also clicked some pics.

Stopped on the road to check the vitals (change plugs, top up oil):
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_110255.jpg

After all the checks, ready to go:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_121823.jpg

A selfie before we continued:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_121938.jpg
funkykar is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 19:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

As we continued our way to Bangalore through Shiradi, we made few stops and here is one where we stopped for a sip of water. We took some pics too.

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_130443.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_130448.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_130520.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_130536.jpg

The Legend in focus!
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_130608.jpg

A selfie just before we resume our journey!
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_130644.jpg

Some more pics on Shiradi ghat. Most were taken using a camera mount and timed photos my friend had. Unfortunately dont have any pics of it as phone was mostly in the mount and we wore gloves most time.

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_131618.jpg

Ghat road was all ours
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_131840.jpg

Nice curve ahead:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_132304.jpg

Loved this pic!
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_132308.jpg

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_133009.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 25th March 2019 at 19:13.
Old 25th March 2019, 19:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

We stopped at Sakleshpur for lunch. We ate just Akki Rottis (Rice based roti) here. One of the best places where the Akki Rottis are pretty consistent. Skipped coffee this time as our thirst was very high for lemon sodas.

Akki Roties at Hotel Ashritha
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_142813.jpg

At the hotel parking:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_145708.jpg

At the hotel parking:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_145722.jpg

We then refueled at same pump (after Hassan) that I had refueled previous day. It was a laugh riot again when they saw my daughter's milk bottle used to measure 2T oil. We filled up both the scooters and resumed our journey.

At the pump:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_162148.jpg

At the pump:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_162158.jpg

Toll booth right after refuel:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_162641.jpg

We made a quick stop to sip some water.
Just poising:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_162915.jpg

Just poising:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_162923.jpg

Just Cruising:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_163805.jpg

Toll Booth:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_173013.jpg

We stopped by Swathi Delicacy for some snacks and of course good filter coffee. Then on it was the last leg of a fantastic journey. I felt the light on my Chetak to be very insufficient for speeds over 50kmph and actually slowed down quite bit after it became dark.

Yummy Idli, Vada with piping hot sambhar:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_175203.jpg

Tasty Shavige bath:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_175210.jpg

Tasty Shavige bath:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_175222.jpg

Swathi Delicacy Parking:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_181236.jpg

Finally, the Chetak was back home and took good rest and was serviced (prescribed 2k service by mechanic) the very next day.

BAck at its place at home:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_201143.jpg

The final reading:
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img_20190223_201200.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 25th March 2019 at 19:38.
funkykar is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 19:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

THE ROUTE
Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-map.jpg

Stats of this trip:

Bangalore to Mangalore: 8.5hrs
Mangalore to Bangalore: 10.5hrs

Total kilometers: 740kms (Includes local rides in Mangalore)
Fuel Efficiency of Chetak: 37-38kmpl
Fuel Efficiency of Legend 4S: 50+ kmpl
Total fuel consumed by Chetak: 19.5-20.0 Liters

General cruise speed: 60-70kmph
General high speed: 80kmph

Top speed hit as per GPS (Ulyssy app, lost data before taking screenshot): 97kmph

*****NEXT TARGET DESTINATION FOR 2019 IS GOA*****

Last edited by funkykar : 25th March 2019 at 20:10.
funkykar is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 23:33   #13
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing, Karthik!

Loved the thread! Quite a unique experience indeed - I couldn't help giggle myself at the thought of you having to take out that milk bottle at every bunk.

Legend was indeed a 4 stroke! Weirdly I remember the TRICS sticker on the sides, and childhood memories of this scooter as being something of a modern Chetak back then. Disappeared very soon after launch, but someone in our family friend circle owned one - not able to recollect who! Interestingly - there is also another Bajaj Legend, as seen in the Hamara Bajaj ad, though I don't remember having seen this one on the roads ever!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th March 2019 at 23:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 10:34   #14
BHPian

Re: Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend

Really happy to see Bajaj aficionados alive and kicking in this age of plastics.

My dad recently resurrected our old faithful workhorse. Bajaj Classic SL, Military Green. Everything that we have in our metal steed is stock and the way it came out fresh from dealer about 20 years ago.

After ages, I got my hands on a 2 stroke engine and boy was I surprised with the pull. Runs like a dream, albeit the brake bite is gone. But, still gives you that reasonless smile while riding.

Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend-img20190111wa0024.jpeg

Last edited by prithm : 26th March 2019 at 10:36.
prithm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 11:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ride to Mangalore on my Bajaj Chetak to fetch a Bajaj Legend

Hello Karthik, yet another fantastic Mangalore trip; this time in our beloved and humble Chetak! Little did I imagine that the scooter at home lying abandoned, would one day do rides across cities of Karnataka!

I see you missed the Pabbas icecream in Mangalore. Guess the see food satisfied you a lot!

While I hope to ride with you to Goa, awaiting for our next "Hot Summer Drive" to Mangalore hopefully in a different classic car this year. Here are my favorite drives with you till date in Classic Cars:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ni-ertiga.html (A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...mbassador.html (A HOT summer drive: Bangalore to Mangalore in an Ambassador!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...bangalore.html (Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore)
arun1100 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks