Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2019, 19:24   #1
BHPian

A drive to Warangal in the summer!

Intro Rant:
Summers are always tricky. Most people don't prefer to venture out on a trip in summer, for obvious reasons. So, when I bounced an idea off a trip to Warangal this summer, everyone went nuts. They even ridiculed that I'm not in my senses. But I did not want to drop the idea just because someone feels it to be stupid. I needed a break from my monotonous work life, so I was adamant. I know my wife also wouldn't agree; even if she does, she doesn't come considering the weather, but I have to do the customary - inform. My son's response, quick as a wink, was "Let's do it". Wonderful kid. It took some collective effort by me and my son to get the go-ahead from the home minister. Phew!

Plan and Preparation:
Being a Kakatiya University graduate myself, I regret not exploring enough of Warangal (capital of Kakatiya Dynasty) for long, which is known for its rich history and heritage. Though it is well within 150 km distance from my hometown and also from Hyderabad, I did not specifically travel to see some of its historical places. So, it's that time again - One-day trip!

There was this understanding with my wife and me that any impromptu trip needs to be done and dusted same day. If it's feasible and possible then she and our daughter would also join. Otherwise, my only soul companion is my son on any given day. He can only match and endure my crazy schedule. But being peak summer, my wife was skeptical and worried about excessively hot weather. Only after explaining and reassuring about all necessary precautions taken, we were given the nod. I feel there is nothing like "perfect" time to travel. There is only convenient time. The more the amount of convenience the better. That's it. Peak season travel can bring expensive price tags, overcrowded tours, accommodation, parking and food problems etc. So sometimes off-season travelling could bring in some benefits. One such benefit is leisurely exploring the place in its entirety without hassle. In the end, it proved to be a wise decision as we could spend some quality time exploring the places (especially Laknavaram which is crowded during peak season).

Once the date (April 15th) was decided, it was only up to us on how many places we can cover in a day. We finalized 6 places. I've gone through Google maps for route and order of visit.

The Route:
Hyderabad -> Bhuvanagiri -> Yadadri -> Kazipet -> Warangal.

This is the only route everyone takes from Hyderabad, but little did we know what was in store for us. The four-lane road is under construction from Yadadri (Yadagirigutta) to Warangal, and it is a 99-km section of National Highway–163 in Telangana. Lots of patches, diversions and traffic was allowed only on one side. It was a nightmare to drive with heavy oncoming truck traffic especially at night. It took nearly 4 hours to cover 145 odd KMs for return journey, excluding dinner time.

The Journey:
Below was the order of places we wanted to visit:
  • Bhadrakali temple
  • Warangal fort
  • Thousand-pillar temple
  • Ramappa temple
  • Laknavaram lake
  • Pakhal lake

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-1.png

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-2.png
kskthere is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 19:39   #2
BHPian

re: A drive to Warangal in the summer!

Bhadrakali Temple:

It is one of the oldest temples that is dedicated to Goddess Bhadrakali. Located atop a hill, between the city of Warangal and Hanamkonda, by the side of Bhadrakali Lake, it is an ancient temple which was originally built during the Chalukyan reign in 625 AD. Kakatiya kings later have adopted the temple and considered Goddess Bhadrakali as their "Kula Devatha".

We started off our journey by 5:15 am from Habsiguda and reached Bhadrakali temple around 7:30 am. The temple is big, spacious and neat. Before worshippers could arrive in large numbers (as it was Sri Rama Navami), we completed our darshan and spent some time bird watching at the lake. The temple opens at 5:30 am and early morning is the perfect time to do bird photography and shoot magnificent sunrise over the lake. Though we couldn't capture sunrise moments, watching the lake was a spectacle in itself.

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt1.jpg

Grandeur entry to this view:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt2.jpg

On the banks of Bhadrakali lake is this famous Bhadrakali temple:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt3.jpg

Natural rock formations are said to carry immense spiritual powers:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt4.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt5.jpeg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt7.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt6.jpg

Warangal Fort:

Built on a hillock Ekashila in 13th century, this fort is one of the architectural masterpieces of Kakatiya Dynasty. Constructed by King Ganapatideva and later by his daughter Rani Rudrama Devi, Warangal Fort is symbolic of the historical opulence of the region during the reign of Kakatiya Kingdom. Although now in ruins, the remains of the fort still present a glimpse of the mesmerizing craftsmanship and breathtaking artistry. The attraction of the place is famous Kakatiya Kala Thoranam, which was included in the emblem of Telangana by the state government.

Due to some kind of a procession on the fort road, we could only go up to the entrance and returned back without seeing the famous Warangal fort.

Kakatiya Kala Thoranam (pic source: Internet):
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt8.jpg

Emblem of government of Telangana (notice charminar inside it) (pic source: Internet):
Name:  WT9.png
Views: 10796
Size:  18.7 KB

Fort road:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt10.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt11.jpg

Though we didn't see Warangal fort, we saw this Kakatiya Kala Thoranam replica en route Thousand Pillar temple:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt12.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 18th April 2019 at 20:41.
kskthere is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 19:48   #3
BHPian

Thousand Pillars Temple:

The Thousand Pillar Temple is a historic temple located in Hanamakonda. It was constructed in the 1163 AD by King Rudra Deva. Thousand Pillar Temple is one of the finest specimens of Chalukyan style of architecture and sculpture. The temple has three shrines, which are dedicated to Lord Shiva, Vishnu and Surya. This amazing temple is supported by the pillars that are richly carved. It has a star-shaped architecture, which stands as a testimony to the expertise of the wonderful craftsmen of the glorious period. As in the case of any Shiva temple, there is a huge Nandi situated at the entrance of the Shiva shrine. The colossal structure of Nandi is carved out of a single piece of black basalt stone.

It is said that there were 1000 pillars in the structures, but no pillar obstructs a person in any point of the temple to see the God in the other temple manifests the quality of workmanship that existed during those days, when technology was not even born.

Restoration work is still on the Kalyana mandapam, so visitors were not allowed inside. Photography was not allowed inside the main temple.

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt13.jpg

The garden at the entrance and surrounding the temple is simply beautiful:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt14.jpg

Amazing architecture:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt15.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt16.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt17.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt18.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt19.jpg

Huge Nandi at the entrance of the temple:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt20.jpg

Renovation of Kalyana mandapam can be seen in the background:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt21.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt22.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt23.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt24.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 18th April 2019 at 20:51.
kskthere is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 20:02   #4
BHPian

Ramappa Temple:

The Ramalingeswara temple, which is popularly known as the Ramappa temple, is one such amazing pieces of art that stands as a testimony of the royal Kakatiyas. The temple got its name Ramappa because of its chief sculptor Ramappa. It's probably the only temple in the country to be known by the name of its sculptor. The beautiful Ramappa Temple depicts the grandeur of those times through its exquisite architecture. Though some structures of the temple have been ruined due to natural calamities and lack of maintenance, majority of the structure remains intact. It now comes under Jayashankar Bhupalpally district (one of five districts Warangal was divided into by Telangana government).

Ramappa temple is approximately 64 km from Thousand pillars temple, and by 12 noon we reached here. There is no dedicated parking place and no shade whatsoever. We went a few meters ahead and found an open place and parked our car under a tree. The sun was blazing down and we could feel the heat. We wore full face mask so that nose and ears are covered, and took out the umbrella to protect ourselves from direct sunlight. Need to walk quite a distance to reach the temple.

Literally and truly, one cannot stop admiring the temple's architectural brilliance and the panoramic view of true scenic beauty, both inside and outside. Another striking feature of this temple is that it is built with bricks that are so light that they can easily float on water. I've read that these floating bricks were used to make it earthquake proof. We savored leisurely the architectural splendor for almost an hour. Cameras are allowed inside the temple and we did capture some snaps.

After coming out, we hydrated ourselves with 'Nimbu paani', bought a chilled water bottle and started our journey towards Laknavaram lake.

Lush green path dotted with trees to reach the temple:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt25.jpg

The main structure is called Rudrasheswara temple, named after King Rudra Deva:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt26.jpg

Temple shows historical richness and architectural excellence:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt27.jpg

Massive pillars leading way to Garbagriha and Maha Mandapa:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt28.jpg

Ceiling of Maha Mandapa:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt29.0.jpg

Maha Mandapa is supported by four enormous pillars carved with elaborate detailing:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt29.1.jpg

Intricately sculpted pillars:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt30.jpg

Jaw-dropping carvings:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt31.jpg

Depictions of dancing figurines:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt32.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt33.jpg

View from Sabha Mandapa or outer porch:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt34.jpg

Temple has three entrances, one of which leads to roofless Nandi mandapam:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt37.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt38.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt39.jpg

Nandi mandapam:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt40.jpg

Majestic view from Nandi mandapam:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt41.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt42.jpg

Back view of the main temple:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt43.jpg

Architectural brilliance everywhere:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt44.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt45.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt46.jpg

Mini tower:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt47.jpg

Sub shrine adjacent to main structure:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt48.jpg

Ruined sculptures, both outside and inside:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt49.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt50.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt51.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt52.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt53.jpg

Once a royal garden, now reduced to a lawn with a path paved by trees:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt54.jpg
kskthere is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 20:20   #5
BHPian

Laknavaram Lake:

This lake is around 70 km from Warangal and 30 km from Ramappa temple. It is one of the must-visit places among many tourists. The lake was formed by closing down three narrow valleys, and it is surrounded by thick deciduous forest. An added attraction to this mystic beauty is the suspension bridge, which connects many small islands. Watching huge spread of serene water from this suspension bridge is the main reason why tourists prefer to visit it in rainy and winter seasons.

Keeping in view the growing number of the tourists, the Telangana State Tourism Development Corporation (TSTDC) constructed a new suspension bridge. The length of the new bridge is 210 metres and the width is 1.5 metres. The carrying capacity of the bridge is 1,000 people. It was constructed with the rust-proof galvanized sheets. The new bridge connects the main land near parking area to an island. The existing bridge (old one) is with length of 160 metres.

Initially, I did not include this place to the list, but wanted to check what kind of perspective and viewpoint it will bring in summer. The lake was dried up for the most part; but the good thing is, vehicles are allowed to drive down to the lake shore, which otherwise is not possible in peak season. So that's another experience in itself.

After reaching here, we had our lunch in Haritha restaurant. Only veg meals were served. One can also book accommodation in Haritha lake view resorts or cottages in islands for overnight stay, also camping facility too available. We've spent almost an hour exploring the place by walking on the suspension bride, driving to the shore and enjoying in the lake. Then continued our journey towards the last place of the tour, Pakhal lake.

No shade for parked vehicles:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt55.jpg

Information can be procured from reception:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt56.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt57.jpg

Way to Haritha lake view resort (restaurant can be seen on the left):
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt58.jpg

Old suspension bridge:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt59.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt60.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt61.jpg

Old bridge connecting to the new one can be seen in the background:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt62.jpg

New suspension bridge:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt63.jpg

From the other side:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt64.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt65.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt66.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt67.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt68.jpg

End of the new bridge, takes to parking place:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt69.jpg

Beautiful view of the new bridge:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt70.jpg

And here is the old one:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt71.jpg

Intersection of two bridges; dry lake will be full in monsoon and winter (pic taken while coming back from lake shore):
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt72.jpeg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt73.jpg

Very less water, no wonder very little crowd:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt74.jpeg

Look farther for small islands which are used for camping:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt75.jpeg

No one believed when I told I've taken my car to Laknavaram lake shore (yeah! not possible unless it is summer):
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt76.jpeg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt77.jpeg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt78.jpeg

My Baleno almost stuck in the mud:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt79.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 18th April 2019 at 20:57.
kskthere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 20:32   #6
BHPian

Pakhal Lake:

Pakhal Lake is a man-made lake in the Pakhal Wildlife Sanctuary in Warangal. The place gets more interesting as this amazing plateau region is surrounded by a mesmerizing range of low hills. The wildlife park’s natural scenic beauty and its breathtaking landscape are extremely captivating. A visit to this promising spot would never disappoint you.

Initially, this was the only place I wanted to visit to capture its surrounding scenic beauty with my newly bought Canon M50 camera. To my utter shock and surprise, the ticket cost for photography was 500 and for videography 2000, but one can shoot and record using mobile phones. So I dropped the plan of carrying my camera. We enjoyed a 10-minute speed boat ride, experienced mesmerizing evening at the lake, took some snaps and refreshed our thirsty throats with soft drinks at Haritha canteen.

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt80.jpg

As you walk into the sanctuary, trees act as a curtain-raiser for the beautiful lake:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt81.jpg

This man-made lake is enveloped by the scenic forested hills:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt82.jpeg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt83.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt84.jpg

The lake offers breathtaking picturesque site:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt85.jpeg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt86.jpeg

It attracts many nature enthusiasts:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt87.jpg

Boating and speed boating services available:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt89.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt90.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt91.jpeg

We took a speed boat ride:
A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt93.jpg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt94.jpeg

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-wt95.jpg

Though the blue waters of the lake does not have lush green surroundings to compliment, the charming ambiance around the lake provided picturesque settings to explore, even in summers.
Evening boating experience was icing on the cake and provided much needed rejuvenation to a long trip.
On that note, we bid adieu to the place. My mobile phone comes out one last to capture the sunset, indicating it's time to go home.

Until next time, peace!

Last edited by kskthere : 18th April 2019 at 21:04.
kskthere is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 06:16   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice and exhaustive! We are so used to seeing temple logs from other southern states. This is a nice gateway into AP. Hope to see more of such accounts coming up!
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 08:47   #8
BHPian

Re: A drive to Warangal in the summer!

Very nice report KSK especially the fine details about architecture and pictures that suffice the context beautifully. Thanks for bringing Laknavaram and Pakhal lakes, they are stunning, very inviting from a landscape photographers perspective. Imagine a sunset/ sunrise over the lake may be with your car as foreground or a monsoon shot with dark clouds behind, slight drizzle and lightning/rainbow behind the hill.

One question, Do they have Safaris at Pakhal sanctuary, any special mentions on the kind of wild life specific to the region ? must be rich in bird species I guess.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 19th April 2019 at 09:09.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:00   #9
BHPian

Beautiful narrative. Your blogs always reminds me of the bygone trips. The pictures are very detailed. Thanks for taking the time to share your travel experiences. This Baleno is one lucky one.

Keep traveling and sharing the experience !
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:16   #10
BHPian

Wonderful write-up. Thanks for the motivation
samkat1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 11:16   #11
BHPian

Its been 11 years since I last visited Warangal, your pictures have refreshed my memories of the thousand pillar temple & the lakes. Thanks.

And a coincidence, I too visited these places in summer. It does get hot in Warangal during this time but the temples & lakes are well worth it.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 11:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice and exhaustive! We are so used to seeing temple logs from other southern states. This is a nice gateway into AP. Hope to see more of such accounts coming up!
Thank you very much @ampere. Close to 17 hours on the road covering 530 plus km was grueling, but we enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Very nice report KSK

One question, Do they have Safaris at Pakhal sanctuary, any special mentions on the kind of wild life specific to the region ? must be rich in bird species I guess.
Thank you very much @Thermodynamics

Though the sanctuary covers an area of 830 sq. km, there is no mention of any safari availability. I guess they might allow private vehicles with prior permission, but not sure. Leopard, wild boar, panthers, hyenas, sloth bear, chital, mountain gazelle, blackbuck, four-horned antelope or chousingha are some animals mentioned on the list, but the place is full of monkeys. One can also see a wide variety of migratory birds during the month of November to March. Reptiles such as python, cobra, crocodiles, monitor lizard, etc., can also been seen in the sanctuary. This information is from the unique displays placed at the entrance into the sanctuary.

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-20190414_164611.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Beautiful narrative. Your blogs always reminds me of the bygone trips. The pictures are very detailed. Thanks for taking the time to share your travel experiences. This Baleno is one lucky one.

Keep traveling and sharing the experience !
Thank you very much @ARAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat1 View Post
Wonderful write-up. Thanks for the motivation
Thank you very much @samkat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Its been 11 years since I last visited Warangal, your pictures have refreshed my memories of the thousand pillar temple & the lakes. Thanks.

And a coincidence, I too visited these places in summer. It does get hot in Warangal during this time but the temples & lakes are well worth it.
Thank you very much @Venkat_Figo

Yes, true that. My friend visited Ramappa temple and Laknavaram lake in January of this year. Even then they felt the heat at both the places in afternoons, so you can imagine in mid April.
kskthere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 16:07   #13
BHPian

9th year in Hyderabad and guilty of not visiting Warangal.
This thread has ignited the idea again, but will wait for the temperatures to cool down.
Great pictures. Thanks.
smartindboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 18:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
This thread has ignited the idea again, but will wait for the temperatures to cool down.
Great pictures. Thanks.
I suggest you to plan it for at least 2 days. Book a cottage in one of the islands at Laknavaram (like in below pic) and stay overnight. It'll be quite an experience.

A drive to Warangal in the summer!-20190419.png
Image source: India-Drive
kskthere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 22:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
Great pictures. Thanks.
Let me make you happy... 13th year in Hyd and still guilty
samkat1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks