Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Varsai to Kashi on foot : 1857-59

How many people does it take to fire a cannon?
Quite a lot actually.
This is a cannon which was used on ships. The land versions were bigger but the process was the same.
Check out all the steps required.
Now image doing all this in the heat of the battle.

How to aim the cannon.

Offered without comments
(You will have to sign in to view this 18+ video)
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:35   #47
BHPian

रेड टेरॅनो, तुम्ही स्वतःच एक महाकाव्य लिहिलं आहे.
This is beyond epic and of gigantic efforts, details.
After so many months, I read such a long write up in one go.
Don't want to sound dramatic, but I literally lived every word.
And having read 'Maza Pravas' earlier, I could relate even more.
And the pics showed how grim the situation became.
Take a bow, thanks a zillions for this one of a kind thread
Orange GTX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for writing this thread. This is possibly one of the best threads I have ever read on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
In the meanwhile, the British re grouped. Reinforcements were called in from outside India. Fresh white troops were supplemented by regiments of Indian soldiers from Madras.
The Nizam of Hyderabad pitched in five thousand of his own.
So did the Shindes.
And Holkars.
And Gaekwads.
And Ghorpades.
These ***** were richly rewarded for this. You will notice that all the beautiful cars in the vintage and classic section belong(ed) to either these so-called royal families, or ones who stayed neutral and didn't raise even the slightest peep, like Mysore and Travancore. Some of them are still reaping the rewards.

We might have had a very different history if these worthies actually stood up for themselves and their people.
v1p3r is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 17:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

An excellent account of an amazing journey. It is an incredible adventure caught at the epicenter of 1857 war. It makes an absolute thriller work of fiction but it is for real. Thanks for making us aware of such an account and many thanks for translating to English.

I feel the journey happened just before the time railways reduced years of travel into days. Vishnubhat Balkrishna Godse undertook this effort at the right time and logged it down for us to enjoy & live through those times

Rated 5 stars. Completed entire thread in a single sitting.
Quote:
The detailed travel route, beginning to end.
Varsai -Khopoli - Pune - Wagholi - Nagar - Malegaon - Dhule - Karvand Bari - Mahu - Indore - Ujjain - Sarangpur - Gwalior - Jhansi - Kalpi - Brahmavart - Chitrakoot - Banda - Brahmavart - Kanpur - Lucknow - Ayodhya - Kashi - Prayag - Gwalior - Jhansi - Sagar - Hoshangabad - Indore - Dhule - Malegaon - Nashik - Pune - Khalapur - Varsai
Have a question on language. What languages did Godses speak? How did they manage to communicate with people of other states?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
We might have had a very different history if these worthies actually stood up for themselves and their people.
I have no judgment on what was correct & wrong. Considering Britain was superpower at that time, the cities of Mysore, Gwalior, Baroda, Indore, Ujjain might have met the same fate of Jhansi.

Last edited by msdivy : 3rd May 2020 at 17:42.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 18:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Have a question on language. What languages did Godses speak? How did they manage to communicate with people of other states?
At a minimum, Vishnubhat spoke Marathi (mother tongue) as well as Sanskrit quite fluently.
Outside Maharashtra, he mentions, he communicated in Hindustani.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 16:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
His name was Vishnubhat Balkrishna Godse...

...So today, let me tell you his story.
Sir, You need to start writing the NCERT text books, it will get people actually interested in history.
varunsangal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 09:01   #52
knp
BHPian

Awesome presentation and putting things to our language. It shows your passion for history. Thanks for sharing it with us. Enjoyed reading it thorougly and would be sharing this with my kids.
knp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 18:17   #53
BHPian

Hi RedTerrano!
God Bless you with all the Happiness.
A fantastic narration to read.

IMHO, You instigated and triggered a lot of 'Patriotism about our Mother land' in many of us who read this, which might further trigger the quest to know more about our Un-know history.

Hope this small drop of your effort will turn into a big movement in knowing more and bringing back our lost Glory and continue to share with our next generations!!

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Regards,
Maverick79
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 00:25   #54
BHPian

That's a damn good write up Red Terrano. This must be one of a kind telling of the first war for independence of 1857. One must thank Vishnubhat ji, his family as well as his diligent student to ensure his diary preserved, and then published in book format.
I thank you for translating this for the benefit of all of us. You sure have earned a drink from me the next time we meet In Pune!
Torq is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 09:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up! I gave five stars! I have read a couple of books about the siege of Lucknow earlier, but reading it from the point of view of a native seeing it unfold in front of his eyes, and experiencing it, is a first.

I personally don't agree with calling it the first war of Independence though. If that were true, then similar events which took place half a century before the 1857 event should also be called as such, though the scale was less. They were trying save their culture and to throw away the British yoke alright, but had they succeeded, it would have been back to business as usual. They were fighting for their liege lords, who would have assumed the title of "king" and ruled their hundred tiny "kingdoms".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vellore_mutiny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrac...mutiny_of_1824

Now there is another queen, a precursor to the Rani of Jhansi, called Velu Nachiyar. She actually defeated a British army in the late 1700s and retained her small "kingdom". She also conducted the first known fidayeen attack in India, when she located the British ammunition dump. One of her woman commanders named Kuyili doused herself with ghee and oil, lit herself up and walked into the ammo dump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velu_Nachiyar
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 11:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
They were trying save their culture and to throw away the British yoke alright, but had they succeeded, it would have been back to business as usual. They were fighting for their liege lords, who would have assumed the title of "king" and ruled their hundred tiny "kingdoms".
And why would this be bad? At that time, even Britain had a monarch, Queen Victoria. Arguably, it was the East India Company in India, but the Queen was a major shareholder in EIC. In those days, everyone fought for their King or Queen.
Not only that, the British fought wars with the French and Dutch and the Germans and many others. Lots of kings and queens, ruling their hundred tiny "kingdoms"

Quote:
I personally don't agree with calling it the first war of Independence though.
This event should be seen from a broader perspective. For the first time in history, we see traditional foes, band together to fight a common enemy. It was not a flash in the pan, but a much organised effort. Since a year or two before May 1857, there had been coordination between different kings and queens all across the land. To avoid detection by the British, messages were written on a bhakris (flattened bread) and sent at the hands of bairagis and fakeers or any other unsuspicious person like a travelling salesman.
For detailed information about this organised effort, I heartily recommend Veer Savarkar's excellent book
१८५७ चे स्वातंत्र्यसमर
and it's english version
The Indian War of Independence 1857
Both versions are available for free download.

Quote:
Now there is another queen, a precursor to the Rani of Jhansi, called Velu Nachiyar. She actually defeated a British army in the late 1700s and retained her small "kingdom". She also conducted the first known fidayeen attack in India, when she located the British ammunition dump. One of her woman commanders named Kuyili doused herself with ghee and oil, lit herself up and walked into the ammo dump.
I am 50 today. It took me decades to learn about heroes and heroines like Velu Thampi or Kittur Chennamma
I put this down squarely as a failure of our education system.
It's discussions like these, which help people come to know about the lesser known braves.
Thanks to you, now I know about Velu Nachiyar.

Last edited by RedTerrano : 6th May 2020 at 11:24.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 11:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

Just my personal pov. Had the 1857 rebellion succeeded, we may not have had an India as we know it today.

But I enjoyed your write up hugely. It won't be an exaggeration to say I was transported back in time! Thanks.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 16:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

Big thank you, Sir for your efforts to bring this Epic tale to us. Reading incidents in Jhansi was like reading a ground report of events happened in those week or two. It was enjoyable reading with mixed emotions. Thanks once again.
agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 08:44   #59
BHPian

Black Achkan (jacket) and lock of hair purportedly belonging to Tatya Tope. Currently on display at Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata

Varsai to Kashi on foot : 1857-59-tatya-tope-jacket-hair.png
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:14   #60
BHPian

Wow, Red Terrano.

A Saturday well spent, read the write up start to end. Superbly written and detailed account of the complete experience. Had goosebumps reading it.

Thank you so much.
mayurpalav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks