Team-BHP > Travelogues

Old 23rd May 2020, 21:14   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Varsai to Kashi on foot : 1857-59

Wow, Red Terrano.

A Saturday well spent, read the write up start to end. Superbly written and detailed account of the complete experience. Had goosebumps reading it.

Thank you so much.
mayurpalav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:57   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

@Red Tarrano, thank you for a superlative treatise on the First War of Independence with this first hand account by this brave traveler from a distant time. I must thank you for the time and effort you have devoted in creating this thread.

In some ways it isn't so distant either. I am from Lucknow and the ruins shown in these photos all exist today, some like the Residency, Dilkusha, Chattar Manzil in pretty good condition. The First War of Independence has a similar story at my end. My great-great-grandfather, on my father's side, Pandit Durga Dutt was a student at Kashi studying to be a priest. On completion of his studies in 1857 he walked back home to his village near Delhi. In between the war broke out. It took him 4 months to complete the journey on foot sleeping in village temples at night and often conducting prayer ceremonies for the Indian soldiers to bless them. It is a surprise he wasn't killed. He led a prosperous life and died in 1911.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 00:27   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@ RedTerrano.
It is indeed a poignant narration of the dark days of the great Mutiny and its aftermath.
The plights of the learned Brahmins of that day and of many of them today are indeed very sad.
You have brought out the gut wrenching emotions and the travails of these men with great skill.
The treachery of the Scindias ( Shindes) and others appalled my sensibilities. It is very sad to see the descendants of these traitors living lavish lives today and cocking a snook at the descendants of the martyrs.
It is always stupefying that Indians have a history of betrayal and treachery.
The Raja of Takshashila (Taxila today) betrayed Porus to Alexander; Jaichand betrayed Prithviraj to Ghori, Rana Sanga was betrayed by the other Rajputs and Rana Pratap was defeated by Akbar using Man Singh, the Maharaja of Jaipur.
Down south too we had a number of such turncoats and wretched creatures who sold their loyalty for a few pieces of silver.
Kattabomman, the polygar of Panchalankuruchi in TN was sold down the river by his own people... the chieftain was hanged for his rebellion. Dozens of such examples in our past.
What is even more shocking is that the First l Battle of Independence evokes so little emotion in most of the readers / members here. Most have only commented on the good narration and say nothing about the utterly sad events that have been so painstakingly described by RedTerrano in his post. The brutality of the British, their blood lust, their depravity, their unmatched greed and cruelty don't seem to evoke any emotions at all amongst the readers but for a select few.
The sacrifice and martyrdom of those bravehearts seem to have no effect on most today. The modern Indian is more matlabi than before and chooses compromise over sacrifice.
Sadly true !
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 08:59   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
In some ways it isn't so distant either. I am from Lucknow and the ruins shown in these photos all exist today, some like the Residency, Dilkusha, Chattar Manzil in pretty good condition. The First War of Independence has a similar story at my end. My great-great-grandfather, on my father's side, Pandit Durga Dutt was a student at Kashi studying to be a priest. On completion of his studies in 1857 he walked back home to his village near Delhi. In between the war broke out. It took him 4 months to complete the journey on foot sleeping in village temples at night and often conducting prayer ceremonies for the Indian soldiers to bless them. It is a surprise he wasn't killed. He led a prosperous life and died in 1911.
Wow!
Any chance you have a painting/sketch/picture of Panditji? If possible please do share.
And thank you for your kind words!
Old 24th May 2020, 15:03   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Wow!
Any chance you have a painting/sketch/picture of Panditji? If possible please do share.
Unfortunately no photo or sketch exists of him. I only have a legal document of 1882, written in Pharsee, that bears his signature.
Quote:
And thank you for your kind words!
You deserve it.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed