Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2023, 17:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_94962.jpg

Another weekend, and another trip to our favourite backyard hunting spot - Bribie Island. I realised it has been a long time since we last came here. For those who forgot, that was the time i lost my record of never being bogged - getting bogged twice in the same day!

Taking my learnings from that episode, they really helped in our trip to Moreton Island which was remote in quite a few places, and had an enjoyable trip without getting stuck.
Read here : Moreton Island (The perfect island getaway in a 4WD | Moreton Island | Australia)

My annual permit to use the 4x4 track at Bribie Island had expired, and so i had to renew it, which can be done online at the Queensland Parks website.
QLD Parks and Permits

This time round, I didn't opt for an annual pass (A$167 approx.), preferring instead to opt for a weekly pass at A$57 approx. Pass sorted, I ensured I had my recovery gear and compressor ready, and eagerly awaited the drive the following morning.

We had planned an early morning trip, hoping to be there before the weekend crowds, as well as possibly a glint of the early morning sun. Being summer in Queensland, the sun is up and bright as early as 5:15AM, so the question was always how early is early?!

We left home at around 5:10AM, and first stop was the servo to fuel both the car as well as some snacks for us at the beach. The drive to Bribie Island itself was quick being early morning and we made a quick stop at the neighborhood Maccas (McDonalds) at Bribie Island to buy some brekkie. We really enjoy the brekkie menu at Maccas, which made this a rather obvious choice for us. Soon, we'd hit the beach, find a spot of our liking, park, put up the awning and enjoy brekkie with the view of the sea/lagoon as we choose. Or so we thought.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_13061.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th February 2023 at 18:31.
benbsb29 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia

We get to the spot to air down the tyres, job done quickly and we were off. Do note the presence of Number plate recognition cameras at the track entry, which check your rego against the permits purchased.

The sand was soft and powdery, a sight that by now was familiar to us. I had tyre pressures down to about 15-18 PSI and 4H with center diff locked. The Mitsubishi Super Select 4Wd system also allows to drive with the diff open, akin to an AWD. I have used this on sand in the past, but was taking no chances this time.

We continued to make easy progress along the sand tracks, some sections being more bouncy and softer than the others. As we were about 3/4th of the way to the beach entrance, we came across a couple in a Nissan Navara who were bogged. As is the unwritten rule of off-roading, we stopped to ask if they needed assistance, to which they answered in the affirmative.

I pulled up a bit ahead to the side, so as not to block others and brought out the recovery boards to try and help. The Navara was bogged down to its belly, and the wheels had absolutely no traction, just spinning away.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_13073.jpg

I realised the person was unprepared with recovery gear, and it looked like their maiden trip to these tracks. The sense of Deja Vu for me was oh-so-evident, having been there, done exactly that many years ago.
benbsb29 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

First thing i did was check tyre pressures on the Navara, which was sitting around 26 PSI or so. Brought this down to 18 PSI all around. We then scooped away sand around the tyres, and propped the recovery boards at the rear wheels, and got the guy to give it a go. The wheels just refused to grab onto the tracks, as it really was sitting flat on its belly.

A person in a Jeep Grand Cherokee who was returning from the beach passed us, and stopped to enquire if we needed help. Soon enough, he had brought along his recovery boards too, and now we had 6 boards to try and get the Navara to latch onto. However, the same story continued and the car just refused to make its way out. May i also mention here that the inexperience of the person at the wheel possibly had a role too.

After some discussion, the person in the Grand Cherokee offerred to snatch out the Navara, as he had a rated recovery point on his car.

Soon the snatch straps and D-shackles were out, and the recovery process was underway. The sand around this area was so soft that just the process of the Grand Cherokee (GC) lining up ahead of the Navara resulted in him almost getting bogged himself.

At one point it did look like he was bogged, and then we ended up laying out the recovery boards just to help it get itself out of trouble. Soon with 6 boards at our disposal, we used it to lay down a path for the GC to drive on, and avoid getting bogged again.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_13081.jpg

This time round, the GC was able to snatch the Navara out of its predicament, and help them get going on their way.

We all bade bye to each other, and headed out. We didn’t realise it had been close to an hour and a quarter since we stopped to help!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th February 2023 at 02:20.
benbsb29 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

We made our way to the beach without much incident and realised the tide was on its way up. At Bribie island a high tide means you end up driving on soft sand along the beach, which is a bit of a bother but on the bright side it is not a situation where there is no usable surface to drive on, putting you at high risk with an incoming tide.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_13387.jpg

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_13246.jpg

We drove on a bit to get to our usual spot, ie the first lagoon. Being relatively early, we had the luxury to chose a spot of our liking, but as is the norm in Australia, most folks are early risers which meant there still was a good number of people already at the lagoon.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_134410.jpg

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_134511.jpg

We parked, put up the awning, table and chairs and set about to have brekkie, which at this point wasn't exactly hot as we hoped it would be.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_13175.jpg

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_13439.jpg

The sky was overcast and cloudy, almost stormy. Still, the ocean and golden sands beckoned.
Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_94841.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th February 2023 at 18:08.
benbsb29 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Food done, family set out to play and laze around in the sea followed by the lagoon while i got the drone out to try some shots.

Aerial shots of the lagoon with the view of the ocean

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-dji_02172.jpg

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-dji_02276.jpg

A look at the National Park part of the island

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-dji_02161.jpg

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-dji_02193.jpg

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-dji_02298.jpg

Among my favorite pics - the aerial perspective is mind blowing
Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-dji_02255.jpg

Don't miss the tea colored water of the lagoon
Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-dji_02204.jpg

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_136314.jpg

While the sky was cloudy and appeared stormy initially, later in the morning the sun was out in all its fury, quite typical of the Queensland sun in summer. Not wanting to remain out in the sun and get roasted, we packed up soon and drove around a bit before making our way back.

Play over, time to air up

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_136515.jpg

Till the next trip. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th February 2023 at 18:15.
benbsb29 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 12:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.

Thanks for reading.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 13:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Good on you for helping out. Novice 4WD drivers like me much appreciate the kindness of the experienced folks who are ever so willing to help during such trips.

Spending 1+ hours helping out a stranger on the way to the beach. That's one way to show kids what our priorities in life should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
First thing i did was check tyre pressures on the Navara, which was sitting around 26 PSI or so. Brought this down to 18 PSI all around.
26 PSI? Good lord! He was inexperienced AND not prepared I suppose. Tyre pressure is literally the first thing to check before venturing into the beach.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 14:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice compact weekend trip. That lagoon looks so comfy (for those who don't prefer the ebb & tide of the sea waves).

P.s. For the life of me, I can not read the thread name as anything else than 'Barbie' island!!!
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 09:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Good on you for helping out. Novice 4WD drivers like me much appreciate the kindness of the experienced folks who are ever so willing to help during such trips.

Spending 1+ hours helping out a stranger on the way to the beach. That's one way to show kids what our priorities in life should be.
Thanks kiku007. I still remember the kind folks who spent a lot of time trying to help me out on the occasions i have gotten bogged and needed help. All pitched in without even having to ask.

This infamous pic comes to mind.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_1592.jpg

My daughter has been part of both receiving as well as joining in to help, so I believe she's learning the right things. If for some reason I don't stop to help someone, she calls me out for it. I explain there are people already around who are helping, and too many cooks could spoil the broth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
26 PSI? Good lord! He was inexperienced AND not prepared I suppose. Tyre pressure is literally the first thing to check before venturing into the beach.
Am sure he went down to 26 from about 35-38, which is usually what 4WD tyres run at. Like most first timers, I'm sure he was apprehensive about going down further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nice compact weekend trip. That lagoon looks so comfy (for those who don't prefer the ebb & tide of the sea waves).
Thank you.
Best part of this, the sea and waves are just a few steps away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
P.s. For the life of me, I can not read the thread name as anything else than 'Barbie' island!!!
Now that you say it...
benbsb29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 22:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The Mitsubishi Super Select 4Wd system also allows to drive with the diff open, akin to an AWD. I have used this on sand in the past, but was taking no chances this time.
I am curious to know whether you can engage 4L mode with the centre diff./ viscous coupling open.
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
I am curious to know whether you can engage 4L mode with the centre diff./ viscous coupling open.
Low Range on the Pajero does not allow you to engage without the centre diff being locked. From 4H you move to 4HLc which is 4H with locked centre diff. Th next and final mode is 4LLc, ie Low Range with locked centre diff.

My car also has a separate rear diff lock, which can be engaged as required.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
My car also has a separate rear diff lock, which can be engaged as required.
Would like to know more about the rear differential locker. Is the actuation manual-pneumatic/hydraulic or electronic? Please share the make, and if possible, a picture of the control implementation inside your car.
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 10:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another weekend, and another trip to our favourite backyard hunting spot - Bribie Island.
Thanks for sharing. Four wheeling in Australia is a dream for me. I regularly follow 4WD Australian channels on YouTube. Being a merchant navy guy, I have visited Australia quite a few times by ships. Once I bought the Australian Road and 4WD handy Atlas for reference. I’m sure you must be referring to similar books along with GPS units.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-5981ec0787ed4324b2a28139f8a45221.jpeg

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 22nd February 2023 at 10:13.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
Would like to know more about the rear differential locker. Is the actuation manual-pneumatic/hydraulic or electronic? Please share the make, and if possible, a picture of the control implementation inside your car.
The rear diff lock is manual-pneumatic. Pic of the gears and controls, as requested. The rear diff lock switch is on the console, as you can see.

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-4x4.jpg

The rear diff lock was not a standard fitment on all Pajeros, as it used to be an optional feature. I believe towards the end of the Pajeros lifecycle, it started being available as standard, but not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Thanks for sharing. Four wheeling in Australia is a dream for me. I regularly follow 4WD Australian channels on YouTube. Being a merchant navy guy, I have visited Australia quite a few times by ships. Once I bought the Australian Road and 4WD handy Atlas for reference. I’m sure you must be referring to similar books along with GPS units.

Attachment 2421246
Thanks for writing in. The book you shared has Hema maps, which are very popular among 4x4 folks who go off to remote areas. They publish maps and also dedicated GPS units. As I generally tour alone as a family and keeping my lack of technical and mechanical capabilities in mind, we do not usually venture deep into such areas.

In most cases, I would research the areas i am going to, or else atleast places where there is some hope of seeing other cars, I haven't purchased the HEMA maps as yet. I did download a hardcopy when i did the tracks at Moreton Island, which has some remote tracks.

Not sure if you read this travelogue of mine:
Moreton Island (The perfect island getaway in a 4WD | Moreton Island | Australia)

Next time you visit Australia (Brisbane) do let me know, and we can catch up. If time permits, we can work out a mini trip.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 13:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did read this travelogue and liked all the posts. I must say you have a good flair for writing.

Quote:
Next time you visit Australia (Brisbane) do let me know, and we can catch up. If time permits, we can work out a mini trip.
Australia is on my bucket list from quite some time. The idea is to do a two week offroad vacation and engage in 4WD with camping. Just need to sort out the best places with mild to moderate offroad rated tracks. Some places on my mind are Frazer island. Hope to do something together if times match. If you have some itinerary or list of best offroad places, please do share.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks