Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 01:38   #46
BHPian

Hello everyone..

Did anyone of you go? What happend to the planned visit to shillong?
Old 26th April 2010, 10:29   #47
BHPian

Hi Sumit,

No updates from you in this thread since longtime? I am planning to visit Shillong in the next week and also planning to stay overnight in Shillong. Can I expect your help in finding a good hotel incase you have time?

Please PM your contact number so that I can give you a call.

Have a Good Day!
Old 16th October 2010, 20:53   #48
evo
BHPian

Oh, this is an ancient thread. I`m adding some stuff here if useful. Some of it is in answer to questions that are 3 years old,but still relevant, so here goes.

Our company owns the largest hotel in Shillong, so I know some touristy stuff et al.

Also the fact that I was born here and have seen it grow from a city where we had to travel to Guwahati to buy cars to one which has the highest per capita car ownership in the Country in terms of state capitals !

Also the fact, that Shillong is like no other capital city and the Shillong cabbies love hip hop only second to those in the Bronx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Can you tell me how does one get there, from Calcutta?
CCU-SHG direct flight 6 days a week. 1 Hour 45 Minutes. Quickest way and that way you get to see a lot of the hills.

Its not as unreliable as its made out to be. People from my company take it nearly once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
You can fly to Bagdogra (Siliguri) from Calcutta. From Siliguri, you have to hire a car. And no, there are no self drive options.
Not the right route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Shillong has a small airport but only small prop plane can land there. Most people fly down to Guwahati and then drive up to Shillong (3 hrs trip). Sorry Shuvd, but going to Bagdogra is a round about way! Unless you delibrately want to take the scenic route...literally! Bagdogra (Siliguri), which is in West Bengal to Guwahati takes about 9-10 hours, and then there is the additional 3 hours from Guwahati to Shillong. But you are right about one thing. If you want to DRIVE from Calcutta to Shillong, then you have to go via Siliguri. The route will be Calcutta - Siliguri - Guwahati - Shillong. It is a bit of the roundabout route as one has to go up north before turning east, as Bangaldesh is between Calcutta and Guwahati/Shillong.

Anyone wanting to go to Shillong has to go through Guwahati. So catch a flight to Guwahati from anywhere in India and take the 3 hrs drive up to Shillong. It is worth going there!!!
We can fly over Bangladesh but not drive through Bangladesh (easily) .Thats the reason why a flight from cal to ghy is only 50 Minutes and a drive/train is so long.

Have driven Kol-Shillong twice and Shillong-Kol once. Its about 1200 KM and it takes one and a half days with a halt for the night in Siliguri.

Kol-Siliguri roads were pathetic all three times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
The local airport in Shillong is Umroi. Don't take the schedule of the flight till here for granted. It gets canceled 75% of the times. A safer bet is hitching a ride on the Pawan Hans from Guwahati to Shillong. Should take you around a 1000 bucks. The ride is just over 15 mins. (Shillong to Guwahati ariel distance is 40kms). The chopper ride also serves as an ariel tour of the beautiful landscape we enjoy in here. The tickets for this ride can be obtained on arrival from Guwahati airport.
Heli costs 700 Bucks. A cab costs 1000 bucks, so for a single person, heli is cheaper.

However, Heli is only till Upper Shillong from where you still need to take a 20 min taxi ride into town.

Chopper tickets are few so as soon as land in Ghy, get one. Better still, ask your hotel in Shillong to get one for you in advance. ( You cant book online etc )

Chopper has only one flight GHY-SHG AFAIR, I think its at 11 AM. There are about 14 flights CAL-GHY and about 10 Other flights into GHY, so be sure that you can make the chopper timings before deciding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Beautiful Pics,
Sumit,
Is there a way to reach Tenga Valley or Bomdilla from Guwahati/Tezpur by air? I want to take my wife to show her that paradise where I lived for 2 yrs.
GD
You can now fly to Tawang direct from GHY - Arunachal Helicopter Schedule.

Tawang is very very very beautiful. Its one of those places. If you have a bucket list, put it on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Last Durga Puja time, we went to Shillong Kaziranga etc. I was tempting to drive the vehicle we had hired up the distance from Shillong to Cherrapunji. Cherrapunji we did not see rain, neither did we see the waterfall as the clouds were settled below!! (neither this nor that). But Kaziranga from Shillong was another story as we started nearing the national park. However parents wont let me make the road trip in our own car!!
Its Durga Puja time now in Shillong! I think this time there are 90 pandals ! Folks from cal love Shillong in the pujas because you can get away for a holiday and yet not miss pandal hopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@Sumit B - you are a lucky guy to stay in such a beautiful place.
can you please tell me the approx time required to go to Shillong from Kolkata by road?
8 Hours , give or take one or two.

I hope some of this was useful.
Old 16th October 2010, 22:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Don't think so.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th October 2010, 22:30   #50
evo
BHPian

[quote=evo;2107833]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Don't think so.

Regards
Sutripta
Sorry, thats an error on my part. I wrote that with Siliguri-Shillong in mind.

As mentioned earlier its about one and a half days with a night halt at Siliguri.
Old 17th October 2010, 12:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Given current road conditions in N.Bengal now, I would say ~7.5 hrs Siliguri - Srirampur - Rakhaldubi. A further 3.5 hrs to Jorabat.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks