Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 09:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Tirunelveli Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Started from Tirunelveli on Saturday (18th) morning at 0535.

Tirunelveli : 0535
Madurai (byepass) : 0705
Dindigul (byepass) : 0740 (Breakfast)
Trichy : 0915
Chengalpattu : 1230
Madras (Palavakkam) : 1415

Heavy traffic from Chengalpatu onwards.

No problem in navigating through Trichy.
Why would you want to take the Dindigul route when you have Madurai-Trichy (melur route) 4 Lane? In this route, you would have completely bypassed the Trichy as well. Madurai - Trichy is one of the best 4 L in TN.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 21st August 2012 at 09:18.
Old 21st August 2012, 09:20   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Why would you want to take the Dindigul route when you have Madurai-Trichy (melur route) 4 Lane? In this route, you would have completely bypassed the Trichy as well. Madurai - Trichy is one of the best 4 L in TN.
This was the suggestion from most TBHP members. Just followed their advice.
Old 21st August 2012, 09:31   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was the suggestion from most TBHP members. Just followed their advice.
Yeh. I just read through the older posts .

Getting into Madurai (Arapalayam and Maattuthavani) and then to melur route is also not a bad idea at all instead of Madurai-Dindigul-Trichy. Any way, you have now completed the journey. The reason why I am telling this is, I never miss to do Madurai-Trichy stretch when there is an opportunity.
Old 21st August 2012, 10:52   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I never miss to do Madurai-Trichy stretch when there is an opportunity.
Is there a specific reason?
Old 21st August 2012, 15:12   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting into Madurai (Arapalayam and Maattuthavani) and then to melur route is also not a bad idea at all instead of Madurai-Dindigul-Trichy.
Seriously? I had a nightmarish time getting to Arapalayam from Rameswaram road. It was so horrible, I never take my car out onto Madurai roads unless its off timings.

Its the Madurai bypass that is the major problem. For all the good roads you get till Mattuthavani, its a BP raising experience to get to Tirumangalam end. Moreover there is not much distance differential either. From the bypass turnoff at Tirumangalam, Trichy is 161 km via Melur. Dindigul is around 75 km, Dindigul-Trichy is 98 km.

During my trip in May, Trichy-Madurai has deteriorated a bit, something that I have seen in NH4 a year and half back. This was pretty evident as I was travelling dead of the night, with no traffic at 100.

Quote:
Is there a specific reason?
I'd love to know too. The curves in NH45B are very good which is fun to drive. In contrast Madurai-Dindigul-Trichy is a little more straight as an arrow road.
Old 21st August 2012, 15:40   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Seriously? I had a nightmarish time getting to Arapalayam from Rameswaram road. It was so horrible, I never take my car out onto Madurai roads unless its off timings.

Its the Madurai bypass that is the major problem. For all the good roads you get till Mattuthavani, its a BP raising experience to get to Tirumangalam end. Moreover there is not much distance differential either. From the bypass turnoff at Tirumangalam, Trichy is 161 km via Melur. Dindigul is around 75 km, Dindigul-Trichy is 98 km.

During my trip in May, Trichy-Madurai has deteriorated a bit, something that I have seen in NH4 a year and half back. This was pretty evident as I was travelling dead of the night, with no traffic at 100.

I'd love to know too. The curves in NH45B are very good which is fun to drive. In contrast Madurai-Dindigul-Trichy is a little more straight as an arrow road.
Getting to Arapalayam from Rameswaram road is painful. I know about it. But, when you come from NH7 and getting to Arapalayam is not tough. I have driven numerous times from Theni to Chennai via Madurai. Everytime, I take the route via Arapalayam and Maatuthavani.

Look at this route. This is what I used to do.
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...a=1,2&t=m&z=12

You don't have much curves in the Madurai-Trichy section. Lesser than the Madurai-Dindigul-Trichy. It also has less traffic and quicker too. Once I get into the highway, I have done Madurai-Trichy in flat 1 hour 15 minutes. Its hardly 120 kms from the Highcourt to Trichy.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 21st August 2012 at 15:49.
Old 21st August 2012, 15:44   #112
Team-BHP Support

Is there any specific reason, why they are not looking at any bypass options around the North East Quadrant of Madurai city ? That would be very useful.
Old 21st August 2012, 15:48   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is there any specific reason, why they are not looking at any bypass options around the North East Quadrant of Madurai city ? That would be very useful.
Very true. Don't know the reason though.

But, when I drove the current Madurai bypass 8 months back, it was good and not a bad road at all. Surprised to know that this road has now deteriorated. Even If the road is average, it is would be wise to take the existing bypass for 20+ kms to get on to the Melur road.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:09   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very true. Don't know the reason though.

But, when I drove the current Madurai bypass 8 months back, it was good and not a bad road at all. Surprised to know that this road has now deteriorated. Even If the road is average, it is would be wise to take the existing bypass for 20+ kms to get on to the Melur road.
But if one is coming via NH7 Madurai can be bypassed by Dindigul-Nattam-Melur-Shivagangai-Ilayangudi-Paramagudi.

You lose 60km of 4L in the bargain. But you bypass Madurai completely.

But this does not work for folks going to Theni and those who are coming via the 45B GQ.

A reference by @figo on the Nattam route:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2767059

Last edited by ampere : 21st August 2012 at 16:11.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:46   #115
Senior - BHPian

It depends on what time you take the bypass, for my afternoon starts I see huge omni bus traffic from the opposite direction between 9pm-11pm. Only time it was pleasant was at night start from Madras and crossing the Madurai bypass at 330am. Time and headaches wise it doesn't make much sense, atleast that's what I personally felt.

Regarding the in-city route, I did Tallakulam-West Veli Street-Arasaradi-Arapalayam at 8pm-9pm and returned via Madura Coats next day morning. The morning drive was ok, as it was at 730am. The evening drive was painful to say the least. Unless you know present roads inside Madurai, its not worth going in town. Things have changed quite a bit since I last visited in 2001 (I used to visit once every 3 months for more than 15 yrs till then).
Old 26th October 2012, 13:28   #116
Senior - BHPian

I was travelling from Virudunagar-Chennai last week the roads are excellent.
Madurai bypass was a rip off Rs 40 for one way with average road surface and dual carriage road.
The next day I had to drop my father at Madurai airport from Trichy I had to
shell out Rs.80 for the return on the Madurai bypass
This bypass is on the Arupukkotai-Melur route.

Last edited by gajadonga : 26th October 2012 at 13:31.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:06   #117
Senior - BHPian

Tirunelveli - Calicut - Chennai oute

Hi All,

I am going for a Family Function by May 2nd week from Chennai - Madurai - Tirunelveli - Calicut - Chennai Round Trip.

Chennai - Tirunelveli is a cake walk for me as i almost visit every month.
But driving from Tirunelveli to Calicut is a first time for me and every one has confused me a lot on the routes.
I prefer to use Tirunelveli - Tenkasi - Changanassery - Kochi - Guruvayoorm - Calicut.
But Local Drivers are advised me to use Tirunelveli - Dindugal - Pollachi - Palakad - Calicut.
Map with 2 ways.
Chennai to Tirunelveli Trip-tirunelveli-calicut.jpg
I wanted to know the good route with less no of single lane roads and safer drive.

Again back from Caicut to Chennai, i think as most of the people prefered route Calicut - Palakkad - Salem - Attur - Villupuram - Thindivanam - Chennai.
Chennai to Tirunelveli Trip-calicutchennai.jpg
Please suggest good routes.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:51   #118
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tirunelveli - Calicut - Chennai oute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
But Local Drivers are advised me to use Tirunelveli - Dindugal - Pollachi - Palakad - Calicut.
+1 to the above. No point going through crowded roads and good to avoid them.

Tirunelveli-Madurai-BP-Dindigul-Odanchatram-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Palakkad-Perinthalmanna-Calicut.

Thats the best possible option. Combination of good 4-lanes and 2-lanes.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 11:39   #119

Took Chennai (Medavakkam) -Trichy - Madurai - Tirunelveli (thachanallur) route on 25th Dec 2014 and drove back on the same route on 28th Dec 2014.

The route is good except for few 'manageable' potholes on the Madurai bypass.

Took about 11 hours - had lavish breaks (15 mins at a temple - 30 mins breakfast - 1 hr Lunch - 10 mins re-fueling) All toll booths were crowded.

Had a pleasant drive with my Honda 2014 Ivtec cruising (cruise control 'on' 60% of the driving) at 100 kmph. Managed an mileage of 17 kmpl for highway drive.

Some info that might interest others who would take this route in near future ,
- Good food joints enroute
1. Saappida vaanga hotel, 1km after Sivananda gurukulam on the same side of Gurukulam
2. Vasanta Bhavan restaurant just after Vikiravaandi toll booth (while travelling from chennai on the other side of the road)
3. A restaurant (not sure of the name may be Arya bhavan?) just after Ulundurpet toll plaza (while travelling from chennai on the same side of the road)
4. Hotel Temple city (there are many so make sure you reach the right one), just after the Madurai toll (while travelling from chennai on the other side of the road)
5. Hotel Arya Nivas after Kovilpatti before entering Sattur, Opposite to Krishna restaurant (while travelling towards chennai on the same side of the road)

Hope this helps
Old 28th April 2015, 18:00   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palani1976 View Post
Took Chennai (Medavakkam) -Trichy - Madurai - Tirunelveli (thachanallur) route on 25th Dec 2014 and drove back on the same route on 28th Dec 2014.
@palani1976, thanks for the info.
I'm intending to do the route this long weekend - 1-May to 4-May.
How are the roads in-general? Any places I need to be careful or slowdown?
Any other pointers / tips?
How many toll plazas in total? and how much does it cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks