Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 16:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This was November 2005. Amazing drive as well ! All was green every where !
Thanks mate. I'm planning a trip definitely after this summer to unleash Kanakpura road.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:34   #47
BHPian

Thanks @mjothi.

Just back from Bheemeshwari Fishing Camp. NH209 is well maintained at this time . Kanakapura town is a mess. You have to take a diversion through 20 feet wide excuse-for-roads, but hopefully things will take a turn for the better soon since they are widening the highway portion through the town.

I took a diversion to the left from Sathanur, which is 67km from Jayadeva Flyover on Bannerghatta road. The camp is another 23 km from there. That section is a typical village road, but the potholes have all been patched up recently, so you can keep a decent 50kmph throughout unless an occasional vehicle come in the opposite direction.

It took roughly 2h15min each way, without any spirited driving. Overall a nice 1-day outing.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:09   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
Thanks @mjothi.

Just back from Bheemeshwari Fishing Camp. NH209 is well maintained at this time . Kanakapura town is a mess. You have to take a diversion through 20 feet wide excuse-for-roads, but hopefully things will take a turn for the better soon since they are widening the highway portion through the town.

I took a diversion to the left from Sathanur, which is 67km from Jayadeva Flyover on Bannerghatta road. The camp is another 23 km from there. That section is a typical village road, but the potholes have all been patched up recently, so you can keep a decent 50kmph throughout unless an occasional vehicle come in the opposite direction.

It took roughly 2h15min each way, without any spirited driving. Overall a nice 1-day outing.
Hey Civic !
Is it like a regular JLR camp? What all you can do there or rather what all did you guys do there?
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:53   #49
BHPian

@ampere: it is a typical JLR camp, except that Bheemeshwari is known for its fishing and angling prospects. The mighty Mahseer is what pulls a lot of people, including foreigners to this place.

The camp itself is set by the banks of river Cauvery. Its rather warm there at this time of the year, especially afternoons, but the log-huts and cottages have AC. You have coracle rides, trekking (a light one up until a watch tower on a near-by hill, or a longer one meandering through the highest point in that area and then down to the river bank again), fishing/angling (need to bring your own equipment, if you are seriously interested. Otherwise, they will give you a string with a hook at one end. I was amazed to see them put small portions of atta to the hook as the bait. Surprisingly, fish did fall for it. I caught an 8-inch carp, but realized soon that it isnt such a happy experience for the poor fish, with a hook stuck in its throat. So I quit after one try. BTW, almost all fish caught are released back into the waters.), and a whole lot of group activities, specifically meant for corporate team-building.

And to answer your question as to what we did there, here goes:

1. Reached JLR by 10 AM
2. BFast done by 11 AM
3. Settled into the room with family (wife and 1yr old son), general lazing around in the hammock, swing, followed by an attempt at "wildlife photography" (read taking snaps of monkeys and birds) till 1:30PM
4. Lunch by 2:30PM
5. Got outdoors by 4PM for coracle ride, fishing etc till 6:30PM
6. There was to be a camp-fire and barbeque party, which got cancelled due to rain. But we salvaged the barbeque chicken that we gobbled up with dinner
7. Next day 6:30AM wake up and 7AM trek to the watch tower. Nice view of the river and the hills from there.
8. Reach back at 9AM follwed by breakfast, a quick stroll by the river and return back by 10:30AM

Last edited by civicsense : 22nd April 2010 at 21:00. Reason: Emboldening a few words/phrases of relevance
Old 1st September 2011, 18:00   #50
BHPian

Re: Day trip - Bangalore - Mekedatu - Bangalore

Team bhp rocks!!! After reading above posts, took a trip to Mekadatu today.

While going took the elevated highway to electronic city, then NICE road and exit to Kanakpura Road. From Kanakpura road, reached Kanakpura junction and then left diversion to Sangam. The road conditions in this route is good except some small part near Kanakpura junction.

Since most of the road was well tarred with lot of turns, I enjoyed the drive in my Swift zxi. I had heard a lot about the Swift being a good handling car, this trip gave me a chance to experience it first hand!!

At Sangam, took the Coracle Ride to cross to the other side of the river (cost Rs.50 per head to and fro). When we reached the other side, the bus was waiting. The 5 km bus ride to the Mekadatu was horrible, u feel as though the bus does not have any suspension (cost Rs.40 per head to and fro). Mekadatu was good, since we reached around 12:30 it was not that crowded.

While returning thought of coming without taking the NICE road. So took the Kanakpura Road and reached silk board via Jayanagar, BTM. The Kanakpura road condition after NICE road entry is in very bad shape, thanks to Namma Metro.

Overall a good place to go for a one-day trip!
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post
Team bhp rocks!!!
Overall a good place to go for a one-day trip!
Torretto,

Did you see "Chunchi Falls" which falls on the way to Mekedatu? It is the right time to see this beautiful falls as it raining in the area. In drier months, the water is stagnant and not clean and falls is almost dry.

Take alook at this post by Kittagadu who did the trip at same time three years back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ls-photos.html

Last edited by Fauji : 2nd September 2011 at 22:00.
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:13   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At Sangam, took the Coracle Ride to cross to the other side of the river (cost Rs.50 per head to and fro). When we reached the other side, the bus was waiting. The 5 km bus ride to the Mekadatu was horrible, u feel as though the bus does not have any suspension (cost Rs.40 per head to and fro). Mekadatu
as good, since we reached around 12:30 it was not that crowded.
You should have walked (if possible). Its only 2km and quite fun walking along side the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Did you see "Chunchi Falls" which falls on the way to Mekedatu? It is the right time to see this beautiful falls as it raining in the area. In drier months, the water is stagnant and not clean and falls is almost dry.
My version of the falls: Post #35 of the same thread!
It was majestic as well as thrilling sitting next to Cauvery and seeing it fall!

Last edited by ampere : 2nd September 2011 at 22:40.
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should have walked (if possible). Its only 2km and quite fun walking along the river.

My version of the falls: Post #35 of the same thread!
It was majestic as well as thrilling sitting next to Cauvery and seeing it fall!
Ampere. I did nt see your post when i googled for Chunchi and just copied the thread. This is a beautiful falls so close to bangalore and as usual the callousness of our govt which has made this place unknown and undeveloped.
Old 3rd September 2011, 12:41   #54
BHPian

Hi Fauji, ampere,

On the way to mekadatu, i saw the left turn to chunchi falls and thought of visiting while coming back. But on the way back, it was raining and so we did not go there. The pics look great, next time I will surely visit this falls !

As ampere mentioned, I think it is better to walk than take the bus. The bus ride is not that great. But is it only 2 kms? I felt it was more..
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:20   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As ampere mentioned, I think it is better to walk than take the bus. The bus ride is not that great. But is it only 2 kms? I felt it was more..
I don't know exactly. But the folks there said 2km. None the less, it was
fun walking there and taking snaps on the way!
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fauji, ampere,

On the way to mekadatu, i saw the left turn to chunchi falls and thought of visiting while coming back. But on the way back, it was raining and so we did not go there. The pics look great, next time I will surely visit this falls !

Quote:
I don't know exactly. But the folks there said 2km. None the less, it was
fun walking there and taking snaps on the way!
Yes it is 2 KMs. Some trekkers do river side trekking from mekedatu to Hogannekkal camping on the sandy beaches on the way - look at google earth and you will see many - and it should be fun.
Old 19th August 2012, 16:24   #57
BHPian

Is a trip to mekedatu do-able with two kids tagging along (10 months and 4 yrs old) ? Does it involve trekking, climbing slippery rocks, etc?
Old 19th August 2012, 21:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Is a trip to mekedatu do-able with two kids tagging along (10 months and 4 yrs old) ? Does it involve trekking, climbing slippery rocks, etc?
Even if the kids do fine till the car parking area, I am not too sure they will like the bus ride, or climbing down to see the river rush.
MuraliR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 08:14   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Even if the kids do fine till the car parking area, I am not too sure they will like the bus ride, or climbing down to see the river rush.
Thanks Murali. So Mekedatu is off the list. How about Muthathi with kids? doable? any hard trekking along the way?
Old 20th August 2012, 21:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Thanks Murali. So Mekedatu is off the list. How about Muthathi with kids? doable? any hard trekking along the way?
Windride, sorry, not been there :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks