Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 14:14   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
1. Carry route directions/maps in japanese to reach your hotel/place of stay

2. If you are a veggie, then its best to stay in a weekly mansion as that way you get to cook what you want and they provide you all the utilities. Also you can order MTR ready to eat stuff from an Indian store online and they deliver all you need to your doorstep (including cheap calling cards).You can visit the site www.indojin.com to order all the ready to eat stuff from here. Just heat it in an oven and enjoy your meal
The only hitch is the delivery guy who usually happens to be a Japanese and directing him to your place of stay can be quite a pain
Hi NFS, Bharat,

I am in Japan now, came on last weekend..We are staying in service apartments where we can cook. So for now enjoying Japan. The place is nice and I wonder seeing people following queues automatically. Traffic flow is smoother. Lane discipline is strictly followed. Signals are followed by everyone...Oh ... I cant explain it..its really good..Dont know when India will be like this .

Tried to eat Japanese Rice, but cant..Its too sticky to eat..but eaten Rotis/Naans in some Indian restaurent, they are good. Cost is too much 500 Yen for Lussi :(
Old 13th May 2009, 16:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

Sri, its just the start buddy, you will have lots of fun. Enjoy your stay, and post if you need any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Hi NFS, Bharat,

I am in Japan now, came on last weekend..We are staying in service apartments where we can cook. So for now enjoying Japan. The place is nice and I wonder seeing people following queues automatically. Traffic flow is smoother. Lane discipline is strictly followed. Signals are followed by everyone...Oh ... I cant explain it..its really good..Dont know when India will be like this .

Tried to eat Japanese Rice, but cant..Its too sticky to eat..but eaten Rotis/Naans in some Indian restaurent, they are good. Cost is too much 500 Yen for Lussi :(
Old 27th May 2009, 14:32   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Sri, its just the start buddy, you will have lots of fun. Enjoy your stay, and post if you need any help.
Thanks bharat...Now its almost 3 weeks and our Indian food items are getting over . Now Can you please tell me where i can get indian rice and other items neary by Shibuya area or Yoga or Mizunokuchi area..
Old 27th May 2009, 17:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Forget cooking and go try out the wide variety of cuisines that Japan has to offer. I have never seen anyplace else offer such a wide variety - Indian, Pakistani, SriLankan, Mongolian, Brazilian, American, Italian, etc etc. And ofcourse the usual junk food too - BurgerKing and stuff.

EDIT : Just went back to previous page and see that you are Veg. Bad luck. Cooking it is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat
Anyways Japanese language interest me alot and I had plans to learn it.
There's a CD available that leads you through the language - might not make you an expert to clear Japanese level exams, but enough for normal conversation. Was learning it during commute to work so as to be prepared for next trip, but the recession screwed all travel plans.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th May 2009 at 17:27.
Old 27th May 2009, 17:41   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bharat...Now its almost 3 weeks and our Indian food items are getting over . Now Can you please tell me where i can get indian rice and other items neary by Shibuya area or Yoga or Mizunokuchi area..
When I was in Japan, I used to work for a bank in Meguro. There was an Indian store run by a Nepali couple close to the Meguro station and thats where we used to buy Indian groceries. As far as rice is concerned you will get only Basmathi (Caution: do not try and convert the cost to INR!!!). A cheaper alternative was to go for Thai Rice which is long grained like Basmathi but lacks the flavor. We used to buy both and mix them in the ratio 1(Basmathi):2 Thai Rice - for economy as well as flavor.

Another suggestion - subscribe to yahoo group "japamjp". This is a large group of South Indian Hindus that meets once a month for performing Pooja and Bhajans - generally on a Saturday / Sunday. This event happens at Meguro which is not far away from where you are - probably 15 minutes by subway. While you get to meet people who speak Telugu/Tamil/Malayalam/Kannada, there would be an occasional Maharashtrian or someone from other parts of India too. At the end of the event, food (prepared at home) is served to all guests and what more you could pack some for dinner / next day too. Some of these people are veterans in Japan who have been there for many years and are very resourceful. Being a veggie this will be the best for you.
Old 28th May 2009, 23:57   #96
Senior - BHPian

There are couple of good shops in Roppongi. I will tell you one thing. Plan for a early saturday. Have a blasting night at lots of discs there. This is one lively place you do not want to miss. And on Sunday while coming back, you can do the shopping.

Rice you can take from from any store. But they are of different kind, bit thicker one.

I will find the exact name and location
Old 29th May 2009, 08:39   #97
BHPian

Quote:
There are couple of good shops in Roppongi. I will tell you one thing. Plan for a early saturday. Have a blasting night at lots of discs there. This is one lively place you do not want to miss. And on Sunday while coming back, you can do the shopping.

Rice you can take from from any store. But they are of different kind, bit thicker one.

I will find the exact name and location
Thank you so much .. I dont want to take much items..Only Rice and Dal for the next 2 weeks after which I will be back to India . Yes, One of my colleague said that in Meguro We can find Inidan Food Items. Roppongi ..No idea if we can find any store . Can you pls let me know by end of today .. As we are planning this saturday for shopping ...
Old 29th May 2009, 10:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much .. I dont want to take much items..Only Rice and Dal for the next 2 weeks after which I will be back to India . Yes, One of my colleague said that in Meguro We can find Inidan Food Items. Roppongi ..No idea if we can find any store . Can you pls let me know by end of today .. As we are planning this saturday for shopping ...
No probs, I will find the shops and directions. By the way, where are pics boss.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:34   #99
BHPian

Quote:
No probs, I will find the shops and directions. By the way, where are pics boss.

Will post tomorrow as it may be rainy over the weekend.. ..Also I have taken Sony Camera last weekend in Akihabara..but not fully tested it..
Old 29th May 2009, 13:36   #100
Senior - BHPian

good good so akihabara is taking over you
Old 30th May 2009, 15:23   #101
BHPian

Quote:
good good so akihabara is taking over you

Hey, Yesterday I went to Meguro and bought some IndianRice and Noodles..

Rice - 3750 Yens ( 1700 RS) for 5 KGs..
Noodles - Maggi - 250 Yens ( 125 RS) for 1 pack
Dal - 1 kg - 600 yens ( 300Rs)

Seeing these prices i am like .. But this is japan, So I was as atleast i got some thing to eat ...
Old 1st June 2009, 10:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Seeing these prices i am like .. But this is japan, So I was as atleast i got some thing to eat ...
Boss, just convert the salaries they get in YEN to INR and you know why these prices
Old 1st June 2009, 10:29   #103
Senior - BHPian

Sri, sorry could not reply to you, anyways good that you managed to get them.

I did not went to Meguro. Will sure try next time.

Quote:

Old 3rd June 2009, 06:51   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Its not exactly a travelogue but be something similar.
Your photos brought back my memories about Japan. I used to live there during the perioed 1997 -- 2001.
Regards,
Sarin

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2015 at 08:35. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 26th March 2010, 12:10   #105
BHPian

Hello,

I will be travelling to Japan for official visit, will be landing at Narita airport, Will be there for two days, I would like to know where would I get Japnaness traditional dress for my 1 year old son.

uday

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks