Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 16:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashran2 View Post
Thanks a lot guys for your nice comments, i have a lot more car related photos and photos of my other roadtrips from this part of the world would definately post more if you guys are interested.
Yes Ashran, please do post more travelogues, we all are very interested!
Old 13th August 2008, 20:50   #17
BHPian

Ashran: Fantastic pictures; some of the scenaries are surreal, especially that of Finland with the serene lakes and lush green forests. It is a bit drab further north without the trees though.

Thanks for showing us all those areas where many of us are unlikely to go.
Old 15th August 2008, 11:04   #18
BHPian

Another travelogue to north cape... here -> Juza Nature Photography
Old 16th August 2008, 14:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue and pics Ashran. As are fortunate enough those countries, we can just imagine that part of world with the help of pics and explanation. Keep the pics coming in.
Old 16th August 2008, 21:31   #20
BHPian

Thanks a lot.

I will start a new old travelogue as soon as i get some time.
Old 17th August 2008, 11:15   #21
BHPian

Good

Ashran,

super duper. Please post ur other travelogues too. I visited stockholm during April. (Been lazy...will post about that bit later)....I got couple of questions..

1. When I enquired about car driving ... they said either I need a swedish guide or should get a swedish driving license. Can you tell, how you managed to drive?

2. Have you seen Northern Lights (Aurerora Borelis... not sure I spelled correctly). Can I see that during September/ October timeframes? What kinda clothing should I bring?

Thanks
Old 17th August 2008, 11:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh what a lovely place. Must visit sometime. Give us more pictures please.
Old 17th August 2008, 18:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Ashran,

super duper. Please post ur other travelogues too. I visited stockholm during April. (Been lazy...will post about that bit later)....I got couple of questions..

1. When I enquired about car driving ... they said either I need a swedish guide or should get a swedish driving license. Can you tell, how you managed to drive?

2. Have you seen Northern Lights (Aurerora Borelis... not sure I spelled correctly). Can I see that during September/ October timeframes? What kinda clothing should I bring?

Thanks
1. I have been living in Sweden for several years now, i have a got a swedish driving license ( very very very expensive) cause when i moved to sweden i was still a kid so it was almost mandatory to get a swedish license. I think what they meant could be that you should have valid international driving permit. They are very strict in scandinavia especially when it comes to driving. However if you want to rent and drive a car in Sweden i am guessing a valid Internation driving permit and I.D. is more than sufficient.

2. Yes up here in northern scandinavia you see aurora borealis all the time even in the cities up here they are visible in autumn nights, but you have to be out in countryside if you want to be truly amazed its like nothing you have ever seen before. best time is late october to mid march, when there is no sun in this part of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Oh what a lovely place. Must visit sometime. Give us more pictures please.

Thank you Sam, i'll definately post more pictures.
Old 17th August 2008, 18:19   #24
BHPian

Druva here are som pictures for you of the Northern lights or Aurora borealis,
they are very hard to capture on camera as they keep moving constantly as if they are dancing
Roadtrip to NorthCape the northernmost point of EUROPE-norrsken3.sized.jpg
Roadtrip to NorthCape the northernmost point of EUROPE-norrsken9.sized.jpg

Yes the sea is frozen, it was -35C when i took the photo.
Roadtrip to NorthCape the northernmost point of EUROPE-solidailule_036.sized.jpg

Druva if you are coming in Sept/Oct to Sweden you would definately be needing a good warm jacket but it depends what part of Sweden would you be visiting. Cause during the day it is allright but in the evening a Jacket is definately required when you are outdoors.
Old 17th August 2008, 23:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a shame about IKEA!

But everything else --- brilliant. Very nice pictures of a place that looks really wonderful.
Old 18th August 2008, 04:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's a shame about IKEA!

But everything else --- brilliant. Very nice pictures of a place that looks really wonderful.
Hey,
why whats wrong with Ikea?
but there is something definately wrong with Ingvar Kamprad
Old 18th August 2008, 08:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I think what they meant could be that you should have valid international driving permit. They are very strict in scandinavia especially when it comes to driving. However if you want to rent and drive a car in Sweden i am guessing a valid Internation driving permit and I.D. is more than sufficient.
Could be. I had US and Indian driving licenses only.

2. Yes up here in northern scandinavia you see aurora borealis all the time even in the cities up here they are visible in autumn nights, but you have to be out in countryside if you want to be truly amazed its like nothing you have ever seen before. best time is late october to mid march, when there is no sun in this part of the world.
Super. I will try to push my travel to October then.
Quote:
Druva here are som pictures for you of the Northern lights or Aurora borealis,
they are very hard to capture on camera as they keep moving constantly as if they are dancing
Yes the sea is frozen, it was -35C when i took the photo.
Attachment 39365
Thanks. I am looking forward to seeing in person.

Druva if you are coming in Sept/Oct to Sweden you would definately be needing a good warm jacket but it depends what part of Sweden would you be visiting. Cause during the day it is allright but in the evening a Jacket is definately required when you are outdoors.
I usually carry a leather jacket which I have used @ New York and Swiss during snow.. However my friends laughed and said I would need the purkha type of jackets to withstand the sub zero temparatures. Also I am pretty much used to Chennai weather now and anything below zero would be shocking :-)

I would be working in Stockholm and was planning to travel to Kiruna or other places to see the Aurora. Hopefully I can see it over a weekend.

Last edited by druva : 18th August 2008 at 08:24. Reason: corrected typos
Old 18th August 2008, 13:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hey,
Umm...whats wrong with Ingvar Kamprad?? Something to do with his stinginess? Inspite of being the eighth richest man in the world, he always travels economy & drives a 15 yr old Volvo!

Last edited by PhrozenFire : 18th August 2008 at 13:44.
Old 18th August 2008, 15:31   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey,
One of the few shops this hopeless shopoholic finds tedious. I don't like their designs and I find their quality overstated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Also I am pretty much used to Chennai weather now and anything below zero would be shocking :-)
Now I have become used to Chennai, I find anything under 20C shocking! Whilst looking at those wonderful pics, something in me was asking, "yes, but could you stand the temperature?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
Umm...whats wrong with Ingvar Kamprad?? Something to do with his stinginess? Inspite of being the eighth richest man in the world, he always travels economy & drives a 15 yr old Volvo!
A 15-yr-old Volvo just might be better built than a new one!!!!

A lot of rich people are stingy. It helps them to stay rich!
Old 19th August 2008, 18:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

A 15-yr-old Volvo just might be better built than a new one!!!!

A lot of rich people are stingy. It helps them to stay rich!
Or it helps them keep their carefully maintained image going! Not unlike a fair number of Indian billionaires . He has several palatial houses and mansions in Switzerland and other exotic locales.

Last edited by PhrozenFire : 19th August 2008 at 18:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks