Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 16:55   #31
BHPian

So, they've taken what was a beautiful natural area, cut down a whole lot of trees and are attempting to create a piece of Europe. Unfortunately, one of the things they haven't learnt is that the Europeans built around nature, not over it.

A ghastly place, not worth visiting, IMO.
Old 8th August 2009, 16:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

@jaganm - when were you there?
Old 9th August 2009, 00:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
So, they've taken what was a beautiful natural area, cut down a whole lot of trees and are attempting to create a piece of Europe. Unfortunately, one of the things they haven't learnt is that the Europeans built around nature, not over it.

A ghastly place, not worth visiting, IMO.
Agreed 100%. It is a pity such lush green forests are so brazenly cut for commercial use.
Old 9th August 2009, 06:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

I assume that both of you gentlemen have been there, so you can point out for my benefit exactly where this "brazen" large scale deforestation has happened. If anything, I have seen lots of new trees planted, and considering the duration of the project, I am pretty sure that on a net basis as these grow, there will be no change in the number of trees. As far as I have seen, this effort has started out in as eco friendly a way as a place that has to accomodate a lot of humans can be, and I have seen enough places in Europe to say this. So, that's a new thing I have seen in India in all these years. What doesn't change in India of course is our propensity to be criticizing spectators all the time.
Will the development stay the current course - I do not know, I hope so. All one can talk to is what has been done so far and the intent stated loud and clear.
The one thing that is truly non eco friendly about the place happened decades ago when the manmade backwaters were created by constructing the Warasgaon dam. It is these backwaters that will now be exploited for their view and watersports.
And we need to remember that the dam provides people in Pune drinking water all year. Without it, the city could not have grown the way it has. Now is that growth a good idea at all is a matter for a valid debate.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:36   #35
BHPian

I have been to Lavasa numerous times and also at lots of other places in the Western Ghats.

I too feel that there is a lot of deforestation done and whether done brazenly or not it is bad for nature.
As for the dam argument, I think the dam is a more basic need as it really provides water for the city whereas Lavasa is more of an 'entertainment' destination and we can certainly live without it.
And why do we always think what Europeans do is right? Even they have adequately destroyed the nature there.

I don't want to start another 'eco' debate but just want to express my opinion. It is commendable though that some trees planted at Lavasa are local trees and not exotic species, but only the test of time will show us the damage done.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Do we realize that the most eco friendly thing to do is to not have any children?! India is going to need a lot more cities in the next 50 years, and Lavasa is trying to provide a model to use. And if dams provide a basic need to cities, why the hullaballoo - justified in my opinion - about the Narmada backwater devastation caused by the Sardar Sarovar?

Last edited by Sawyer : 10th August 2009 at 12:44.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:43   #37
BHPian

Saw a little bit of Lavasa yesterday on CNBC TV18, they say it's a city in creation. Does anyone know if one can buy property there as off now, and if yes, what are the going rates per sq.ft.
Old 11th August 2009, 18:01   #38
BHPian

I had been to Lavasa couple of weeks ago. Although the views and the roads in monsoon were really great, I was somewhat disturbed to see so much construction going on in what must have been just hilly rural areas around the Warasgaon backwaters.

Nice pics Techno, very clear day too, I could not get any pics as I did not carry my camera that day and I never take pics with my mobile phone.

Nice roads to have a fun ride on my bike/car in the future but I won't bother with their water-sports and resorts though.
Old 11th August 2009, 19:14   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabheda View Post
thanks friends for your useful input and i will be going through chandni chowk way as suggested by you 2 friends ,
i know lavasa would be a haunted place so i am staying there just for a night and then i will be heading to mahableshwar for 3 days
Hi How do we book night stay at lavasa? is online option available?
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:54   #40
BHPian

I visited Lavasa with my family today i.e 24th. Less crowd because of Ganesh Chathurthi. After the visit I felt Lavasa was a let-down. The photographs of the buildings put up in the different threads were attractive more due to the photography skills and camera quality I feel now.

It was a sunny day mostly and the summed up feeling was like visiting a upcoming concrete jungle in the midst of virgin hills !! Children liked the boating the most. The Information Centre looked like a posh Corporate office.
We completed the visit within 3 hours and made it to Ekant with the hope of having the buffet lunch (Rs 400 ) as detailed by fellow bhpians somewhere in the threads. It was a humorous but disappointing reply given by the security at Ekant when they first mentioned we need to go back to the Information Centre and make a booking. When asked whether if we do that, we would be served, they said yes you can get the food tomorrow afternoon !!
So we had to speed away back to Pune for a delayed lunch.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:30   #41
BHPian

emkay, thats the experience we had too...even though it was empty they gave stupid replies like "you have to book in advance for lunch".
Old 24th August 2009, 17:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
I visited Lavasa with my family today i.e 24th. Less crowd because of Ganesh Chathurthi. After the visit I felt Lavasa was a let-down. The photographs of the buildings put up in the different threads were attractive more due to the photography skills and camera quality I feel now.

It was a sunny day mostly and the summed up feeling was like visiting a upcoming concrete jungle in the midst of virgin hills !! Children liked the boating the most. The Information Centre looked like a posh Corporate office.
We completed the visit within 3 hours and made it to Ekant with the hope of having the buffet lunch (Rs 400 ) as detailed by fellow bhpians somewhere in the threads. It was a humorous but disappointing reply given by the security at Ekant when they first mentioned we need to go back to the Information Centre and make a booking. When asked whether if we do that, we would be served, they said yes you can get the food tomorrow afternoon !!
So we had to speed away back to Pune for a delayed lunch.
Thanks for the info. I was planning to go to Lavasa sometime this week. Maybe I will carry a big lunchbox now.
Old 24th August 2009, 18:12   #43
BHPian

@ambivalent-I had been to Lavasa a week back and there is this one place (other than Ekaant and Fortune) where you can get food, just before the information center there is a hotel called "Waterfront shack" which has a restaurant called "American Diner". Their menu mainly comprises of burgers, sandwiches, pastas etc.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:21   #44
BHPian

@ambivalent : Yes the American Diner is there. As I am only comfortable with Indian cuisine , did not try that and as anyway we have traversed back to Ekant, there was no point in going back down again to the valley to attempt the food there at Diner.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:04   #45
BHPian

@angad , @emkay - Thanks I will check it out. Haven't gone there yet though but I will remember your inputs. A buffet dinner is charming anytime than burgers or sandwiches .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks