Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 08:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

This touches heart, it looks so good. Here I would like to add that my maternal relatives were a part of " Rajwada " and their home was around 200+ years old. The main room was larger than the entire plot on which our present house is. Very very large. It had some piano, which was very old and some officials from museums located in Germany offered very handsome money for that. It was a very, very large house that eventually came down during Gujarat Earthquake. A couple of my relatives just about managed to survive, but the memories are still in my heart. The pillars had some sort of design on them all and the overall attention to detail was excellent, something we rarely see today.

@samurai : Very nice pictures.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2009, 13:43   #32
BHPian

love that shot in the kitchen, which lens were you using? and which f stop?
Thanks
Old 14th January 2009, 15:49   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivred View Post
love that shot in the kitchen, which lens were you using? and which f stop?
Thanks
All images have full exif, you can save and check the property. The lens should get major credit, it is the 12-60mm lens, one of the finest ever made by any lens maker, according to DPReview.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All images have full exif, you can save and check the property. The lens should get major credit, it is the 12-60mm lens, one of the finest ever made by any lens maker, according to DPReview.
got it. thanks a bunch,
Old 16th November 2009, 12:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am renaming this thread so that members can post other ancient homes outside of coastal Karnataka.
Here is my contribution - my friends house in Kanzhangad (pic 2), its anithesis (pic 1 - just to bring out the differences and impact of NRI's) and the object of desire in our childhood days (pic 3).

Just close your eyes and bring the aroma of idlis steamed in jackfruit leaves......... I am practically drooling at my desk
Attached Thumbnails
Ancient Homes of India-100_1869.jpg  

Ancient Homes of India-100_1915.jpg  

Ancient Homes of India-100_2026.jpg  

Last edited by vrprabhu : 16th November 2009 at 12:55.
Old 16th November 2009, 13:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well no idea how i missed out this thread. I love such architecture style and believe that people who own such houses should not give it away or break it but change abit of it and retain the original look and feel. I am searching for my grandpas house pics but not able to find it.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
The first one was Shettybettu house, this house was used in the period Bollywood movie Utsav. I had never been there before. So we asked around and finally found the place. We didn't know the people there, but knew some mutual acquaintances. So we were able to identify ourselves with the lone resident of the house, who was happy to show us around.
Lovely thread Samurai, Are these places open for visitors?

The first pic of the Kitchen is stunning, loved the way the rays have been caught
Old 17th November 2009, 10:01   #38
BHPian

Wonderful! Samurai, Thank you for starting this thread. This is going to be a feast for those who like ancient houses.

My contribution:

Kannada Poet Kuvempu's ancestral home in Kuppali, near Teerthahalli.
Can be visited as it is converted into a museum and very well mainatained.

Ancient Homes of India-kuvempus-homestead-medium.jpg

See my earlier thread for more info:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-route-3.html

Doddamane in Agumbe where some episodes of 'Malgudi Days' was shot. House is dilapilating and not well maintained. Very hospitable owners. You can even drop in for a hot lunch of Konkani Cuisine.

Ancient Homes of India-doddamane2-medium.jpg

See thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-route-4.html
Old 17th November 2009, 10:19   #39
Team-BHP Support

Roameo, the lawn in front of Kuvempu's home is totally out-of-sync with the house. I wonder why they didn't grow something authentic to match the period of the house.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

All the pics are mouth watering. Reminds me of ancestral home in AP.
Old 28th August 2010, 01:30   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Lovely thread Samurai, Are these places open for visitors?
Not really, you have to know the residents in some way.

Quote:
Man, I gotta photograph my dad's ancestral home soon, before MRPL or Mangalore SEZ makes complete mess out of it.
Quote:
There are couple of other much bigger houses which I really want to cover. One is my father's ancestral house, I haven't been there since 1996, I should visit soon.
Few months back I did manage to visit my father's ancestral home, but I didn't have my dSLR, so I had to manage with my ultra compact P&S. Only issue was it doesn't look as ancient as before since my cousins have modernised it a bit, the entrance has massive amount of granite slabs, interlocking blocks & brick pillars instead of the original wooden pillars, red oxide and cow dung flooring.

Ancient Homes of India-katta-072.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-073.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-074.jpg

This house has a boota sthana (diety place) right in the hall.

Ancient Homes of India-katta-078.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-079.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-080.jpg

Entrance to the inner house.

Ancient Homes of India-katta-083.jpg

Check the design of the hinge of this door. It is completely wooden, not metal part.

Ancient Homes of India-katta-117.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-120.jpg

This chair is special, only the designated person who is the religious figure head of the family can sit here. If I am not mistaken, this seat is vacant since 18 years. There are many restrictions on the lifestyle of the the person who takes this role, therefore none from the recent generation have volunteered for the post.

Ancient Homes of India-katta-084.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-085.jpg

Let's get inside.
Ancient Homes of India-katta-086.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-087.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-088.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-090.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-093.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-094.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-098.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-099.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-100.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-101.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-102.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-104.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-106.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-109.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-110.jpg

Ancient Homes of India-katta-113.jpg

When my mother entered this house as a new bride in the early 60s, there were 59 residents in this house. It had 5 kitchens facing one dining rooms. Each kitchen belonged to a sibling as the house partitioned over generations. Now only 3 people live here.

Four kitchens can be seen here, the common passage is the dining room. I still remember the 70s when all kitchens were active.

Ancient Homes of India-katta-125.jpg

Inside of an unused kitchen.

Ancient Homes of India-katta-127.jpg

Rear side of the house.

Ancient Homes of India-katta-130.jpg

I have to say this is the mere shadow of the house I remember from before. There used to be an additional building encircling this building which housed all kind of utilities including cattle sheds, store rooms, warehouses, etc. Those were destroyed in a fire and never rebuilt.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2010, 05:25   #42
KMT
BHPian

Samurai, what a great thread.
Thanks to all who have contributed, it brings back so many memories about growing up in rural India, such buildings used to be a part of mainstream life.

It is so different from the picture of India that is portrayed now, such houses are just a 'special interest' or niche topic.

It is a pity that we/India does not not draw more heavily from this architecture while building the 'modern india'.
Old 28th August 2010, 10:45   #43
Team-BHP Support

Thanks KMT. I also happen to witness the famous cockfight during this visit. I even got to take photographs to my heart's content (wish I had my dSLR) thanks my dad's connection. Otherwise it won't be allowed. But I can't post them here since cockfights are illegal.
Old 28th August 2010, 11:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Was following this thread. Thanks for the latest pics.

Now I know why you need a dSLR <just joking>.

I remember reading in a magazine about some guy in Manipal / Udupi who built an house using components from demolished houses like the ones featured here. This was in early 1980s.

Any clue about that house?

Edit - the 5 kitchens - I guess they simply partitioned one single, huge kitchen? Unlikely that the original construction intended multiple kitchens.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 28th August 2010 at 11:35.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:40   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Now I know why you need a dSLR <just joking>.
It is a very basic camera, absolutely no manual control.

Quote:
I remember reading in a magazine about some guy in Manipal / Udupi who built an house using components from demolished houses like the ones featured here. This was in early 1980s.

Any clue about that house?
That person is Vijendranath Shenoy, he sold it to Manipal group I heard. I think it is in the heritage village, which is strictly out of bounds for tourists or even locals. Only VIPs are allowed to visit it now. Unless you have some clout with the Manipal group, you are out of luck.

Quote:
Edit - the 5 kitchens - I guess they simply partitioned one single, huge kitchen? Unlikely that the original construction intended multiple kitchens.
Must be, I am not too sure how it came about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks