Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2023, 15:57   #796
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Can anyone tell me if total toll charges on NH 2 will be lesser than YEW, ALE, Purvanchal Expressway. I will be travelling on 2 dec and want to know which route is cheaper toll wise
Old 30th November 2023, 15:31   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
Can anyone tell me if total toll charges on NH 2 will be lesser than YEW, ALE, Purvanchal Expressway.
Tolls on NH vs Expressway are comparable and difference is less than 10%. You save time and most important tension-free drive so one should take expressway even if they are priced higher.

Completed my Delhi-Ayodhya-Bokaro-Patna-Panna- Khajuraho-Delhi drive last week. Thanks for all the info in this thread, I was well informed except for a speed challan in Sasaram. The NH is under expansion and speed limit has been reduced and yes they have put temporary speed limit sign which varies from 30 to 60 kmh. While the challan photo is not clear, I could still read captured speed (76kmh) and probably it was a 60 kmh zone. As such road was pretty good and could have driven even 90-100 kmh. Online echallan system has armed state govt with enough power to make use of any such opportunity to earn revenue. No wonder supreme court had to step in to say one has to display notice saying speed camera ahead. I can understand speed challan for crossing general highway limit (80kmh) but just because you have some expansion work, put up a lower speed limit sign and be ready to challan.

Other important points/discoveries.

1. To take Durgawanti route after Mohania, one just need to take service road on opposite side before Durgawanti bridge. Google will show you as well. AI learning may be as it was not showing when I was checking few days before my journey.

2. Gargi Surya Vihar at Aurangabad is good only for clean restroom. Quality of non-veg food is not great (not fresh) and same time relatively very expensive.

2. For first time I can say that Bihar roads have improved and infact bettered than Jharkhand. Barhi-Patna is 90% four laned and has long elevated sections with good restaurants on the way. Similarly Patna- Mohania (partially through Arah-Buxar Highway) is 98% four lane/tolled once you are out of Patna (after Bihta) I could reach Mohania in 2.15 hours having started at 6 AM in morning.

3. Varanasi- Rewa which used to be nightmare few years back is delight to drive now. This road continues to south (old NH-7)

4. Bundelkhand Expressway- It would be shame to call it a expressway except that its elevated and barricaded. The newest of all expressways is in very bad shape with many section depressed, non-uniform, plenty of humps and repaired patch work looked like its a 10 years old. This has only 4 lanes and you face sand trucks who not only occupy both the lanes, they even park on expressway just like NH. In Comparison, Agra-Gwalior-Khajuraho might be better (based on some of travelogues on this forum) but yes it still saves time I guess.

5. Ayodhya Sri Ram Mandir- Guys the temple and the city would be a transformations. The facilities would be nothing less than airport and everything is likely to be free. You can imagine 4 times of Akakshardham temple in 10 times of football field with arrival lounge with attached car parking bigger than T3 Delhi. The walkway would be modern architecture like an airport but open. Also city people are being trained to be guide and speak like a pro with everyone.

Last edited by Wanderers : 30th November 2023 at 15:43.
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 18:20   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Tolls on NH vs Expressway are comparable and difference is less than 10%. You save time and most important tension-free drive so one should take expressway even if they are priced higher.

Completed my Delhi-Ayodhya-Bokaro-Patna-Panna- Khajuraho-Delhi drive last week. Thanks for all the info in this thread, I was well informed except for a speed challan in Sasaram. The NH is under expansion and speed limit has been reduced and yes they have put temporary speed limit sign which varies from 30 to 60 kmh. While the challan photo is not clear, I could still read captured speed (76kmh) and probably it was a 60 kmh zone. As such road was pretty good and could have driven even 90-100 kmh. Online echallan system has armed state govt with enough power to make use of any such opportunity to earn revenue. No wonder supreme court had to step in to say one has to display notice saying speed camera ahead. I can understand speed challan for crossing general highway limit (80kmh) but just because you have some expansion work, put up a lower speed limit sign and be ready to challan.

Other important points/discoveries.

1. To take Durgawanti route after Mohania, one just need to take service road on opposite side before Durgawanti bridge. Google will show you as well. AI learning may be as it was not showing when I was checking few days before my journey.

2. Gargi Surya Vihar at Aurangabad is good only for clean restroom. Quality of non-veg food is not great (not fresh) and same time relatively very expensive.

2. For first time I can say that Bihar roads have improved and infact bettered than Jharkhand. Barhi-Patna is 90% four laned and has long elevated sections with good restaurants on the way. Similarly Patna- Mohania (partially through Arah-Buxar Highway) is 98% four lane/tolled once you are out of Patna (after Bihta) I could reach Mohania in 2.15 hours having started at 6 AM in morning.
Thanks for the information. Could you please upload a Google map snippet to share the exact route? Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 19:10   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya_bhp View Post
Thanks for the information. Could you please upload a Google map snippet to share the exact route? Thanks
Which route you need info as I did not go to Patna or Bokaro directly, similarly return was a big detour via Khajuraho.
Anyway just follow google as it did not throw any surprise.
Old 2nd March 2024, 21:25   #800
BHPian

Planning on driving from South Kolkata to Shree Badrinath via Varanasi and maybe Nainital. Followed by Kedarnath, on the way back, Via Haridwar. Any route suggestions and places to stay in Varanasi? How are the road conditions? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd April 2024, 12:17   #801
BHPian

Guys, will be driving down from Jabalpur to Kolkata with an halt at Varanasi. This will be on the 27th April, the day after the elections!

Since I will be travelling with my family (kids), I have 2 questions

1. Is it okay to travel right after the general elections to and fro Varanasi?
2. Any COCO outlets within 150km from Varanasi as I will be doing a tank fill at BP Sihora (MP) and should have that much range left.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd April 2024, 13:05   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post

Since I will be travelling with my family (kids), I have 2 questions

1. Is it okay to travel right after the general elections to and fro Varanasi?
2. Any COCO outlets within 150km from Varanasi as I will be doing a tank fill at BP Sihora (MP) and should have that much range left.

Thanks in advance.
If you drive a normal 5 seater petrol car and not having MP or UP number you are absolutely safe from election duty roaster. As such even 7 seater SUV is fine as idea is not to trouble people. Just be prepared for friendly frisking at multiple check points enroute. Do not keep more than 50K in cash and/or liquor.

Plenty of good fuel station as you approach Varanasi /NH-19. Can’t say about any specific COCO. Try to fill at Rewa but I have seen many good pumps between Rewa and Varanasi. It’s food you should be worried than fuel as I did not see any good dhaba. Look for MPT (MP Tourism) highway retreats. They have decent food but very clean washrooms.

Also please drive carefully and not on median side as this route is famous for cattle menace.

Last edited by Wanderers : 23rd April 2024 at 13:08.
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 13:14   #803
BHPian

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Ill be driving my WB registered Jetta (diesel). Found this Indian oil pump, just before Rewa ( Om filling station), will try!

Also, what are the general thoughts on Jio-BP and Nayara diesel?

Thanks,
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
If you drive a normal 5 seater petrol car and not having MP or UP number you are absolutely safe from election duty roaster. As such even 7 seater SUV is fine as idea is not to trouble people. Just be prepared for friendly frisking at multiple check points enroute. Do not keep more than 50K in cash and/or liquor.

Plenty of good fuel station as you approach Varanasi /NH-19. Can’t say about any specific COCO. Try to fill at Rewa but I have seen many good pumps between Rewa and Varanasi. It’s food you should be worried than fuel as I did not see any good dhaba. Look for MPT (MP Tourism) highway retreats. They have decent food but very clean washrooms.

Also please drive carefully and not on median side as this route is famous for cattle menace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks