Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2021, 04:44   #706
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsharma359 View Post
Thanks a lot for your inputs
Rohit I would suggest you to have breakfast in Sher e Punjab Dhaba Asansol or City Residency Asansol both are located on NH19. Excellent parking clean washrooms and no problems with pets.

In Jharkhand, Khalsa Hotel govindpur, BS hotel, Sahu Dhaba and Shahi Darbar are your best choices. They are all located near each other and on NH19.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th November 2021 at 09:44. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
Old 14th November 2021, 14:12   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Day 2 : Varanasi-Allahabad-Lucknow
This is where I need suggestions. I have to travel to Lucknow to meet a friend so can't go via Etawah route. Which route shall I take here. Should I go via Raebareli one or jaunpur one.
The Purvanchal Expressway would be inaugurated on 16 November. Seems to be a better alternative to going to Lucknow via Rae Bareli or Jaunpur.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 21:18   #708
BHPian

Planning Gurgaon Kolkata with halt at Varanasi towards the end of November. Google maps is strongly suggesting Lucknow-Sultanpur-Jaunpur route over the one I know, i.e. Kanpur Allahabad. Apparently 1.5 hr difference.

Question to regulars: is it actually that different? My impression (although quite dated) was that time-wise they were similar - GT Road was a bit more congested but shorter.
Old 19th November 2021, 22:42   #709
BHPian

[quote=chinkara;5199141is it actually that different? [/QUOTE]

Did Kolkata to Gurugram drive last week. Took the Varanasi- Jaunpur-Lucknow route as I had to halt at Lucknow. However, given the chance again I would definitely avoid this route. The proposed highway is still under construction and you need to cross the whole Jaunpur which took around 1 hour itself with city traffic. There are lots of diversions on the way and even on the highway where both the lanes are working, people drive on the wrong side hugging the divider.

However, Lucknow to Agra drive was fantastic.

An alternate route to consider is Lucknow - Azamgarh - Varanasi. With the Purvanchal Expressway now open, it could be a good alternative if you are planning to take Lucknow Expressway.
rohitsharma359 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 01:33   #710
BHPian

Quote:
An alternate route to consider is Lucknow - Azamgarh - Varanasi. With the Purvanchal Expressway now open, it could be a good alternative if you are planning to take Lucknow Expressway.
Azamgarh is quite a detour and not making sense. Google is suggesting taking the Purvanchal e-way till Kurebhar and then taking SH330 into Sultanpur. I have no idea about road conditions, safety etc. Google shows 3 areas of construction in Samarthpur, Kurebhar and Badlapur.

Think I'll stick to GT road. ALE Etawah Kanpur....
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 21:54   #711
BHPian

I'm in the middle of a leisurely food-oriented Delhi NCR - Kolkata roadtrip. Our route was Sonipat- Lucknow; Lucknow- Varanasi, Varanasi- Dhanbad and Dhanbad- Kolkata.

On the Lucknow - Varanasi leg, Google maps offered us a route through the newly inaugurated Purvanchal Expressway. Here's our initial impression

We turned off at the Sultanpur exit to NH 330 followed by NH 731 to Jaunpur. From there NH 31 to Varanasi. There's a highly recommended dhaba immediately after crossing the Gomti near Sultanpur (aptly called Gomti Dhaba). Here's the coordinate - https://goo.gl/maps/LrN4FJNwzEn3VfDA9

Beyond this dhaba, there's some single lane roads without a divider eventually falling into the NH 31 which is well segregated.

While we're headed to Kolkata and scheduled to reach tomorrow (we're at Dhanbad now), google is telling me to take the Purvanchal Expressway all the way back. I wouldnt mind doing that. Only question is, where should I break journey just before getting onto the Purvanchal Expressway? Ghazipur? Happy to brainstorm.

Of course, if you'd like a drill down on the foodie journey through Lucknow and Varanasi, do let me know. Happy to share.
arjyamaj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 00:18   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thanks for the update.

Hotel Grapevine seems to be a new find. Please add some details, pics and location if you can.
Sorry for the late response. Inadvertently missed your message.

During the return phase, to avoid the chaotic Varanasi traffic, stayed at Hotel Grapevine Ramada near Katesar, Ramnagar. This hotel is much closer to NH19 without having to negotiate the dreaded Varanasi traffic and with lots of parking options. Though a high star property, they provided me with good value for money deals. Anyone interested, can get in touch with Mr. Anupam Sharma (Sales Manager – 75650-05211). The rooms are cosy and clean, linens are spotless, food is awesome and service prompt. Three categories of rooms exists - Superior, Premium and Suites. We opted for the premium ones.

While traveling from Kolkata, note the Heritage World School and then cross the lane at the first instance, from where the Grapevine hotel is much closer. Though I traveled from the hotel at around 9 in the morning and hit NH19 towards Kolkata, I found minimal traffic all along.

Kolkata to Hotel Grapevine Varanasi route can be found here

https://goo.gl/maps/LMBYLFw8DUsVSVC28

Disclaimer: This is the potential route that I had chalked out. I could only verify the egress point from Varanasi and not the incoming route but hopefully, it should work out.

I don't have much pics to share about Grapevine Hotel..The pictures uploaded by me are quite ordinary.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_20211016_221231.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_20211016_201345.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_20211016_204438compressed.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_20211016_204547.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_20211017_073529.jpg

Grapevine Ramada in Google yields many pic results.

This is the earlier site during the times when it was not acquired by the Ramada group. The site still functions, but the latest I heard is they are upgrading their site after the acquisition by Ramada.

http://hotelgrapevine.in/

Hope this helps.
subhojitb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:28   #713

I am heading for Noida - Kolkata road trip on Dec 18th and return on Jan 1st. I will be driving a Tata Hexa and are 2 adults, 1 kid and a pet dog. Planned night halt at Varanasi - booked at Namastay Varanasi - a pet friendly rural homestay. This is located on the right side of NH19 while travelling from Noida-Kolkata just before entering Varanasi and the intention is to avoid Varanasi traffic and congestion.

I have gone through all the postings in this forum and also reviewed youtube and other blogs and is little confused for the route between Noida - Varanasi.

Option 1 > Noida> YEW > ALE > Lucknow > Rae Bareilly > Unchahar > Allahabad Bypass > Varanasi - Google showing shortest time

Option 2 > Noida> YEW > ALE > Etawah Exit > Kanpur > Fatehpur > Allahabad Bypass > Varanasi

Based on my research - the view is 50% recommending Option1 and 50% recommending Option 2. Google map is showing Option 1 is shortest time against Option 2 by almost 1 hour. However, google map is also showing road closure near Fatehpur and routing it through some interior road near Fatehpur. Not sure if this the current condition

Considering the fog situation which I expect during my travel period and since I will travelling on this sector for the first time. Please advise which would be the best option. Also is the section between Kanpur to Allahabad Bypass that bad as google is showing. Any first hand recent experience on this section.

Also any pointers for Varanasi - Kolkata section that I need to keep in mind, good food halts in-between the entire Noida- Kolkata section, advisable fuel station
barista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:33   #714
BHPian

Having travelled on both the routes in October, I will suggest you Option 2 without a shred of doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barista View Post
Option 1 > Noida> YEW > ALE > Lucknow > Rae Bareilly > Unchahar > Allahabad Bypass > Varanasi - Google showing shortest time

Option 2 > Noida> YEW > ALE > Etawah Exit > Kanpur > Fatehpur > Allahabad Bypass > Varanasi

You're right. There are numerous diversions between Kanpur to Allahabad. But that should not prove to be deterrence to take this route. As of date, it is better than the Allahabad to Lucknow route.

Quote:
Also is the section between Kanpur to Allahabad Bypass that bad as google is showing. Any first hand recent experience on this section.

Also any pointers for Varanasi - Kolkata section that I need to keep in mind, good food halts in-between the entire Noida- Kolkata section, advisable fuel station
Thanks,
Sayak
sayakc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 17:38   #715
BHPian

Quote:

Option 2, yes there are detours between Faizabad & Allahabad, but they are well marked with proper diversions. Take Etawah exit from ALE to take this route.

Lucknow crossing post noon + Lko-RB route is Single lane and has multiple bad road stretches.
Aniket Verma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 10:19   #716
BHPian

Quote:

Travelled by both of these routes in Oct . The roads are not good in first 20 km from Raeberaily to Lucknow. Even there are shallow craters here and there between Raeberaily and Allahabad bypass. Last year also I travelled by this route but road condition was much better. You will have much more fog in Lucknow route especially near Kunda. And the biggest issue was crossing Lucknow at evening- it was a nightmare. But the road is much scenic than Kanpur road . I would suggest Option 2 . Only if you are crossing Lucknow before 4 pm you can think of Option 1 - you will love driving through the green landscape.
brownianmotion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:25   #717
BHPian

We travelled back to Delhi on 17th November. Initial plan was to reach Varanasi on 17th, but fate had something different planned for us. Just after crossing a board showing the turn for Bodh Gaya, we saw this:

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5716.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5717.jpg

One lane was completely dug up for repairs and the good people at NHAI did not make any alternate arrangements. And the result was the few KM long traffic at a tolled portion of the road

I was not familiar with the area and if some cars ventured into the village roads, maybe I would have followed them. But no other cars did so and the locals also told me that it would be better to wait for the traffic to clear. So, without any other options, I went back and joined the queue. Traffic was moving, albeit at a snails pace, and after almost 2 hours (around 3 PM), we finally cleared this mess. This completely messed our plans and we were forced to stay the night in Aurangabad (I try to avoid night driving on the highways as much as possible). Since there was no point in staying in Varanasi now, we moved on to Lucknow the next day. The only upside of this whole fiasco is I got to visit Lucknow again after a long time.

We stayed at a Hotel Gargee in Aurangabad. Although this property is located right on the highway, they charged us 3.5k for a night saying cheaper rooms were already sold out(for reference, this is 500 more than what Best Western in Gomti Nagar charged us, which even with the restaurant closed for renovations, was a better hotel in every aspect). Again seeing no other alternate, we stayed in Hotel Gargee for the night. The property is situated next to some factory and the whole area was so unbelievably dusty that didn't dare to venture outside our room till we left next day.

I am not sure if the repairs are complete by now, so if you are travelling on this route in the near future, please plan accordingly.
avi_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 13:14   #718
Senior - BHPian

Completed our Kolkata - Gurgaon trip on Friday and Saturday (3 and 4 December). It went pretty smooth. The roads have improved quite a lot throughout as compared to July 2019.

Kolkata to Varanasi was pretty straight forward. Started at 7am from CCU and reach Varanasi at 8:30pm with multiple stops. The Varanasi hotel room rates are crazy high. We stayed in HHI and they charged us 4.7K though Make my trip (direct booking was INR 5.5K). The room was really bad and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Varanasi to Gurgaon was very exciting. We did Varansi - Jaunpur - Purvanchal Expressway - ALE - Yamuna Expressway - Noida - Gurgaon. Total time = 14 hours including 5-6 breaks. PEW is AMAZING. You can cruise effortlessly at pretty high speeds. The issue is getting to PEW, you need to travel around 130kms through 2 lane roads (NH 31 and onwards). But once you get to PEW, you forget all the pain and you start enjoying the drive.

Overall, I would prefer this route only for the relaxed drive. We were not at all tired till we entered Noida and started seeing a lot more traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-b1fcec5b73514abcb65dbb1e7ad308fa.jpeg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-142c0258d71c4f889c243ebfc234090b.jpeg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-059a64f7533a473394c0608aa147a79f.jpeg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-21a1d57ea7d74c36aac69dfd0fb61edd.jpeg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-77d8f749b5e746feb55de82fbbbdc655.jpeg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-f88b78fcb5264c30b1aed81a8dac8bb6.jpeg  

Last edited by Pancham : 6th December 2021 at 13:17.
Pancham is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 22:50   #719
BHPian

Ok. Long delayed update.
I did the trip on 29/30 Nov. Agra-Lucknow-Jaunpur-Varanasi with night halt at Varanasi. Traffic jams at Sultanpur and Jaunpur.
Varanasi to Kolkata was smooth except after entering WB there were a lot of traffic signals with barricades. This seems to be the new thing in WB now. God knows who is the head of traffic who came up with such a brainwave...

We are having a serial Covid wave in the family, so return is uncertain. Hoping to get back before UP elections, else will have to plan routes avoiding UP.
Old 30th January 2022, 12:23   #720
BHPian

Return trip: 26-29 Jan.
26 Jan: Kolkata-Bodhgaya. Bad traffic till Burdwan. Had to take the wrong lane (as guided by cops) and then merge into the right lane at Moshagram. Approach was blocked by loading trucks. Used 4x4 to go through fields along with a few trucks. Stayed at hotel Dhamma, Bodhgaya. Nice stay, good, reasonably priced food.

Asked for RTPCR at JH border. Went through after showing we were just passing through and not staying in JH.

27 Jan: Bodhgaya - Lucknow. Used GQ till Mohania. Then Mohania - Dildarnagar-Gazipur - Purvanchal expressway. The road from Mohania was a good 2 laner except for a horrible 10-15 km stretch around Dildarnagar. Purvanchal expressway road excellent, but boring. Was almost falling asleep - started braying loudly (even i would not call it singing) to keep myself awake.

28 Jan : Lucknow - Agra: No surprises, except it took almost 5 hrs with traffic in Lucknow. We kept this short as both me and wife had some meetings and did not want to drive very late in the night.

29th Jan: Agra-Delhi:YE as usual. Ring road toll Agra still does not accept FASTAG. Exited YE at Palwal, then took old NH2 and KMP expressway then Sohna road.

Overall drive time: 28 hrs

Pet peeve: In Barhi-Mohania stretch speed limit is 65 and in YE 75. I feel if the speed limit is 90 or 100 psychologically you slow down after crossing the limit but absurd limits defeats the purpose. What do others think?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks