Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2009, 12:29   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Can't blame BRO for the horrible condition of the roads. They have to make do with whatever material is available.
If the govt will give then enough money to lay an all weather concrete road, they will lay that.
You guys may be missing my point - I'm referring to those stretches (and trust me, there are hundreds of kilometers of these) where there are just sand, loose stones or boulders. I'm not commenting on the quality of repair of the "already" tarmaced roads (which is the example that you have given).

I'm not even cribbing about the approach to most of the passes (say, 5-10 kms each way) which there is no point repairing because of the continuous melting snow. I'm referring to plain & simple stretches where there is no snow & neither is any repair work happening. Period.
Old 25th June 2009, 12:52   #212
Senior - BHPian

You didn't want to trigger a debate, but it started anyhow. Let us stop dissecting the work of BRO and start enjoying the narrative and the pictures...
Old 25th June 2009, 12:53   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Can't blame BRO for the horrible condition of the roads. They have to make do with whatever material is available.
No one is blaming the BRO! Nor the poor Bihari or Tibetan road worker with tattered shoes and minimal clothing!
It is the system; the system of which we are all a part.
It IS very much worth asking why things are at such a sorry pass (at the passes, LOL)!
Old 28th June 2009, 09:30   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Suman ....where art thou?
Old 28th June 2009, 10:15   #215
Senior - BHPian

Suman da, TBHP is back now. Aab Chalu ho jao fir !!

Abhi
Old 29th June 2009, 14:21   #216
BHPian

Suman, With ref. too the road permits required, is there a restriction with respect to any class of a vehicle. for eg. is Omni issued a permit ?
Old 29th June 2009, 15:28   #217
Senior - BHPian

great travelogue with perfect pictures describing everybit of your tour along with your beast, surely you would be my guide for my next trip to this place, wait for my PM's sir, excellect trip.
Old 29th June 2009, 15:55   #218
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
  • From the plains of Gurgaon to the highest motorable road in the world - Khardung La at an altitude of 18,380 feet
Khardung La may be officially world highest motorable road but its not true the world highest motorable road is Marisimik La near Pangong Tso lake just conquered few days back its really worth trying with slush, ice, stream and big boulder with no oxygen for vehicle, it will be announced in 2 years time. Khardung la is cake walk road with no fun climbing.
Old 29th June 2009, 16:06   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Khardung La may be officially world highest motorable road but its not true the world highest motorable road is Marisimik La near Pangong Tso lake just conquered few days back its really worth trying with slush, ice, stream and big boulder with no oxygen for vehicle, it will be announced in 2 years time. Khardung la is cake walk road with no fun climbing.
Some more info on the same line extracted from Wikipedia
Quote:
Khardung La is widely, but incorrectly, believed to be the world's highest motorable pass. There are higher motorable passes at Suge La, west of Lhasa, 5,430 m (17,815 feet), and Semo La 5,565 m (18,258 feet), between Raka and Coqen in Central Tibet. Both these elevations are supported by GPS and SRTM evidence and the latter was also measured by the Catalans and supported by the CIC, see above. Vehicles have been driven over the 5,582 metres (18,314 ft) Marsimik La, in the Indian Karakoram to the north-east of Khardung La, but it is debatable whether this pass should be considered to be motorable.
Source Khardung La - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 29th June 2009, 16:31   #220
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that. Furthermore, the road at K-Top is not at the mentioned height. It's the dirt track, on the pass, that is at the mentioned height. The road must be a few hundred feet below. But yeah, Marsimek La is the highest and plenty of vehicles have gone through it. Don't know when lesser mortals (read sedans) will be, with difficulty no doubt, able to traverse it though.
Old 29th June 2009, 17:14   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a travelogue by a biker at 60kph site about his travails of getting to MasimekLa. After reading that its become my target destination. I believe even 4x4 have problems going up that pass!!

@Suman : Not fair...where art thou?
Old 29th June 2009, 17:24   #222
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
There is a travelogue by a biker at 60kph site about his travails of getting to MasimekLa. After reading that its become my target destination. I believe even 4x4 have problems going up that pass!!
Same site made me to target marisimik la. final 1.5 KM is really tough to climb with no oxygen. need to have low gear ratio without that it's impossible to climb. will post photos in few days.
Old 29th June 2009, 17:32   #223
Team-BHP Support

Actually it is cakewalk for modern SUVs with i high ground clearance.
Carb vehicles and non turbo vehicles will struggle, but otherwise except for a few sandy climbs its easy, atleast thats what I could gather from all the SUV guys who have done it.
If you want challenge, walk to it or do it by bike
Old 29th June 2009, 22:45   #224
Senior - BHPian

awesome travelogue suman. waitin for the continuation. i have a doubt. when you say that you have to get permit, what exactly do you mean ? how many permits did you need to get in total and what are the proceedures for obtaining the same?
Old 30th June 2009, 09:43   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Suman, With ref. too the road permits required, is there a restriction with respect to any class of a vehicle. for eg. is Omni issued a permit ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
awesome travelogue suman. waitin for the continuation. i have a doubt. when you say that you have to get permit, what exactly do you mean ? how many permits did you need to get in total and what are the procedures for obtaining the same?
No restrictions on class of vehicle. You need to apply (your Hotel or travel agent can also do it for you) to the DC's Office in Leh (its next to the Polo ground), mentioning the places that you want to visit. A less than half a day affair. The normally visited places that need permits are - Khardung La, Nubra Valley (actually Panamik), Pangong Tso & Tso Morori. One permit is issued mentioning all the places that you apply for & you have to make multiple copies since you have to submit at numerous places.

Quote:
Khardung la is cake walk road with no fun climbing.
You are absolutely correct about it being an easy climb (which I've mentioned). However, it was still a thrill for all of us since we were not looking for any off-roading challenge as such & it is still the highest that we have ever been on.

There are a few debates going on already on other forums about what constitutes "motorable" & what doesn't. So I will not add to that debate here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks