Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 23:27   #91
BHPian

[quote=BaCkSeAtDrIVeR;1404200]So which of these is the old Aspinwall company?

The building is very much there, Few years back Aspinwall jumped on board the bandwagon of outsourcing and that building was turned in to a Call Centre selling some Swedish medical mag subscriptions, last I heard was that they have exited that business.

There was a brunton boat yard at Vypeen - just at the point where "Fort Cochin" / Cochin corporation ended and "Vypeen" panchayath started. There is a church (the one on the road side itself) at this point. I thought Thad was referring to this boat yard. Thanks for the correction.

The Brunton Boatyard Hotel is next to the Jhankar jetty in Fort Cochin

Beach? Where is it?? <grin>

That's a Sad story. Used to play Football & Volleyball there during school days .

Here is a wee bit of info.

The Cherai beach and Fort Cochin beach are mutually exclusive. One should die for the other to exist.

Not my words, but I found it in Sir Robert Bristow's Autobiography, the "Cochin Saga". The Cochin Port needs to be dredged regularly, and there are two sites where the sludge could be deposited. Place X is closer, but depositing the sludge here meand Fort Cochin beach dies. Place Y is further, and the Fort Cochin beach would survive and thrive if sludge is deposited here. The cochin port trust used place Y till the early 1990s, and changed to point X for reasons of economy.

This is one of the theories and probably the most credible one, anyway Mr. Bristow can't be wrong; after all he is the mastermind behind Willingdon Island.

Literally in deep waters, eh?

Not exactly. It is next to the concrete walkway adjacent to the PWD Rest house

I tried to learn swimming at the Fort Cochin beach. The attempts went on for a few weeks. But my friend simply did not have the knowledge / guts to teach, (but could swim for himself). Learning to swim on a beach hardly 500 M from an approach to the port, is not a very good idea. Had to be satisfied with floating in 2 - 3 feet of water.

Nowadays it is very dangerous to swim out there, there are very strong undercurrents.
Old 27th July 2009, 23:51   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Bruntons Boatyard Hotel: 9°58'7.53"N 76°14'43.77"E

The much larger complex to the immediate East is Aspinwall.

Google Earth is wonderful
Attached Thumbnails
YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-bby.jpg  

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th July 2009 at 23:55.
Old 28th July 2009, 00:03   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Bruntons Boatyard Hotel: 9°58'7.53"N 76°14'43.77"E

The much larger complex to the immediate East is Aspinwall.

Google Earth is wonderful
Thad - Excellent work there
Old 28th July 2009, 12:47   #94
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sam,

Missed you this time.

Way back in the early 70s when I did my Pre Degree (todays 11th and 12th) in the only college we had (and have even today), I wore a 'mundu' (there is a single and double, myself have used a double always), on all days of my college.

I used it for the two years that I did my 2 years of BSc in Trivandrum. That habit changed only when I went to medical college in Belgaum, Karnataka. Once when I wore it on my birthday, I think I would not have got more attention had I been naked.

I hardly wear a mundu these days.

The same college hardly sees a mundu clad boy student now!
Old 28th July 2009, 14:15   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin;
What you said about Dolphins is absolutely true, nowadays you can rarely spot them. I still remember my school days when everyday I had to cross the ferry to Vypeen to attend school and the jumping Dolphins were a feast to the eyes.
I remember those big fishes coming close to us while we used to go to Mattanchery from the Custom House (Taj Malabar side - W.Island). We used to go Mattanchery for eating "Kayeekka's Biriyani" in the small boat called "Machua"

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th July 2009 at 18:27. Reason: fixed quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Kerala sarkar unsuccessfully tried a Campaign for Government Employees to wear Mundu for last 1 year.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:13   #97
Team-BHP Support

About 7-8 years back, I was driving through a quiet sub-urban New Jersey road, and I almost lost control of the car as I looked to my side. A handsome looking desi in his late 20s was strolling along the footpath in half-mast Mundu. I wonder how many almost crashes he caused that day.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:56   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

It is the neckline of the Kerala dresses and blouses that would take my attention of driving!

Often somewhat more revealing than those worn by their Tamil sisters <Blush>
Old 28th July 2009, 18:25   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is the neckline of the Kerala dresses and blouses that would take my attention of driving!

Often somewhat more revealing than those worn by their Tamil sisters <Blush>
Are you talking about Shakeela
Old 28th July 2009, 18:53   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Kerala sarkar unsuccessfully tried a Campaign for Government Employees to wear Mundu for last 1 year.
and now (since the last week, that is) the Sarkaar is placing full page ads in leading dailies pleading for the same....
Old 28th July 2009, 19:19   #101
Team-BHP Support

I can already imagine Mundu Police walking around government building checking for compliance of Mundu dress code.

Later they might come after private companies too. All IT guys in Mundu. Heck, even clubs may have Mundu dress code. Want to tee off, wear Mundu. Ok, I'll stop now, my imagination is going too wild.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:43   #102
Senior - BHPian

@samurai-san, there already is a govt. order "requesting" public to use traditional, handloom clothes. Issued last week. There was afull page ad.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

I'm more than willing to try my hand at wearing a mundu if we could get all the ladies in my co to wear sarees with those blouses Nick was talking about!

If wishes were horses
Old 28th July 2009, 19:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm more than willing to try my hand at wearing a mundu if we could get all the ladies in my co to wear sarees with those blouses Nick was talking about!

If wishes were horses
Join my company Hope you know why.

Sam! people are hijacking your thread!
Old 28th July 2009, 19:56   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If wishes were horses
LOL, maybe you can arrange a TBHP Onam meet where all TBHPians can drive in wearing MCR Mundu.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks