Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 12:18   #16
BHPian

Thats a fantastic part of the forest you've been to, love the cave and the trail, cant wait to get there myself
Old 24th December 2009, 13:57   #17
Team-BHP Support

Very nice snaps. Esp. the long shots of the river ! Looks really inviting.
Old 24th December 2009, 17:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Lovely report. I have commented this in your early reports on Srisailam and now as well. It is quite strange that you seem to hardly sight wild animals.

I feel the fauna in Srisailam have already lost their battle against the cattle grazers & poachers.

You are indeed lucky to have escaped holding a "Russells Viper" without any training on the handling.

Am just wondering how did it not slither away on recognizing you guys close by.
Old 25th December 2009, 09:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Lovely report. I have commented this in your early reports on Srisailam and now as well. It is quite strange that you seem to hardly sight wild animals.

I feel the fauna in Srisailam have already lost their battle against the cattle grazers & poachers.

You are indeed lucky to have escaped holding a "Russells Viper" without any training on the handling.

Am just wondering how did it not slither away on recognizing you guys close by.
srikanth,
The fauna in this area are hanging on their very last thread of survival, they may never make a comeback if not now.
As for the Viper, I did not hold it,,,,,made an attempt to, as I picked it by the tail to hold it halfway, it made a very strong and ferocious upward swinging plunge towards me and that was it! Made me give up any further ideas of snake handling (I have no training like you rightly pointed out).
It was slithering away, but very slowly and casually, which made me think it must be a baby python as the body was thick and markings were python like.
Whatever it is , I definitely am lucky as help was at least 4-5 hours away.
Regards,
Old 25th December 2009, 21:48   #20
BHPian

Wonderful place. Thanks for sharing.
Old 21st January 2010, 15:21   #21
BHPian

Would love to visit this place for sure. Is this near Srisailam or before Srisailam
Old 21st January 2010, 15:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

I had completely missed this travelogue Fazal Saab.
Loved the narration and all the pics of the trek in the Srisailam forest.
Old 21st January 2010, 16:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

This is a fantastic travelogue Fazal. Nothing beats the slow pace of walking in the forest.

Regarding the snake, you were very lucky. I had a similar incidences where I mistook a python to be viper, and one more time a malabar pit viper to be dead, etc. Better not try to touch or get closer.

BTW, this is a Python I photographed in Muthodi forest. Notice the difference in pattern.

Old 21st January 2010, 20:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a fantastic travelogue Fazal. Nothing beats the slow pace of walking in the forest.
regarding the snake, you were very lucky. I had a similar incidences where I mistook a python to be viper, and one more time a malabar pit viper to be dead, etc. Better not try to touch or get closer.
BTW, this is a Python I photographed in Muthodi forest. Notice the difference in pattern.
Samurai,
Thanks for your appreciation.
I have learn't a big time lesson on snakes, though I have handled snakes in the past but this one was the fastest ever, thanks to my defense mechanism which saved my life.
I just love the place you live and its environs, though I have not been there.
Regards,
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regarding the snake, you were very lucky. I had a similar incidences where I mistook a python to be viper, and one more time a malabar pit viper to be dead, etc. Better not try to touch or get closer.

Its not a python, its a branded racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Samurai,
Thanks for your appreciation.
I have learn't a big time lesson on snakes, though I have handled snakes in the past but this one was the fastest ever, thanks to my defense mechanism which saved my life.
I just love the place you live and its environs, though I have not been there.
Regards,

You are just lucky count your stars, Had it bitten you you would have definitly died as you were far from civilisation, most of the calls that i have seen where a rusells Viper is involved people think its a baby python. And get bitten while trying to catch it, a rusells viper is undoutedly the top rank holder in the maximum snake bite deaths that happen in Asia.

Pramod
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Its not a python, its a branded racer.
Really, the forest guard and his wife confrmed it was a python. This was a baby, we ran into another of different size same night. Apparently they had moved the mother Python to the deeper parts.

Why none of the banded racer images on the net are similar to this one?

Also, why is it called a racer when it moves like a snail? It was moving at a pace of 1ft per 5 seconds speed inspite of trying to run away from me.

Edit: Ok, finally found a link... http://praying-mantis101.blogspot.co...ded-racer.html

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd January 2010 at 15:31.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really, the forest guard and his wife confrmed it was a python. This was a baby, we ran into another of different size same night. Apparently they had moved the mother Python to the deeper parts..
I pitty the forrest guard who cannot make out the difference between python and the banded racer, though it is a must know info for him and part of his job.

Quote:
Why none of the banded racer images on the net are similar to this one?.
If you are looking at google images then it might give you some misleading info.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...snakes-rr1.jpg
More discussed here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1593340

Quote:
Also, why is it called a racer when it moves like a snail? It was moving at a pace of 1ft per 5 seconds speed inspite of trying to run away from me.
I am not sure why is it called like that .

Pramod
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:19   #28
BHPian

A beautiful writeup on a lovely place. I visited Srisailam 11 years ago. Love the way the river flows over there. Man I will surely have to make a trip there.

And guys it is a real good idea to promote ecotourism.
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Really, the forest guard and his wife confrmed it was a python. This was a baby, we ran into another of different size same night. Apparently they had moved the mother Python to the deeper parts.

Why none of the banded racer images on the net are similar to this one?

Edit: Ok, finally found a link... Creatures in the Wild: A Juvenile Banded Racer
it indeed is a banded racer and not a python.
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:07   #30
BHPian

I have driven once to Srisailam though and always wondered how the jungle would be like. Have not done like that ever.

Truly Interesting. This is the third time I am coming back to view the thread. Reminds me of Tintin Flight 714

More photos please.

Most Viewed