Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 16:39   #196
Senior - BHPian

Hey hey do not discriminate, just kidding!

But seriously, I am neither a Dad and most certainly not a mom but I am interested to know about your preparations.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:25   #197
Team-BHP Support

MX I have my own stories as well on the preparations. But, I would rather wait for yours.

Mine is not that comprehensive though.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:01   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The appurtenances that I carried, the back out plan at every stage. This would be helpful for many first time dads and moms.
Sure, though I am not a first time dad anymore, would like to know these.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:45   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Thanks Gansan.

Yes Hobbes. It's not completed. The journey is over. But I want to explain to readers how I planned this whole trip over the next 2 - 3 posts so that people with kids can get loads of ideas.
It includes how I sensitized my baby to such long travel. The appurtenances that I carried, the back out plan at every stage.
This would be helpful for many first time dads and moms.

It would be boring for others. But let me give this travelogue a logical completion.
Hi MX6
This is the best thread that I would have read in our site and that’s the reason I have rated it 5*. In other words chumma adhirthilla (For others who dont know Tamil - > It Rock's -).

The way you have described your journey has inspired me to follow your foot steps to travel to Salem (TN) from Pune in June on my swift from by brother’s Marriage. I showed this thread to couple of my friends who were much shocked (for travelling with a one year old kid) and existed reading your thread.

I am planning to do a trip to Salem VIA Bangalore, and then Coimbatore & Munnar.

I dont know why but I feel proud reading this thread of yours....MX6 what’s your name? Incase if you don’t wish to say then no issues?

Apart from this Hats off to your wife who has lot of patience for sure as well as she might be continuously supporting you on this travel. (manaivi amaivathellam iraivan kodutha varam)

Need a small favor, can you please send me your check lists since I might be accompanied by a two year old kid. (My niece)

Regards
Ranjith
Old 5th April 2010, 18:40   #200
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Let's meet up on the proposed pune meet coming up this weekend Ranjith. I'm going to attach my checklists and plans in this travelogue shortly.
Thanks for your kind words of appreciation and the rating as well.
Babies are always groomed. We need to play the game by analysing their patterns.
Last weekend I drove over 6 - 7 ghat sections. Our Baby handled the trip really well. She incidentally had a ball at Ganapatiphule beach!
When one notices the gleam in the eyes of babies, one forgets everything else.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:55   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
There is a theory that infant boys have a destructive streak while infant girls have a constructive streak. That's why little boys like to break their toy cars while little girls like to dress up their Barbies.
That's true Smartcat. Hold true for not only infant but for slightly elder boys as well. My son getting his first remote controlled "Ferrari" recently. By the time weekend was over, his car was in "Garage" with all four wheels dismantled. His reply was "I wanted to see its differential.". That was the next day of his 4th birthday.

MX6 - you did very right thing. Those bus drivers care for absolutely nothing. I dont know what hurry they are in. I give them first right to pass from whichever lane they want to overtake me.

Last Monday morning, coming from Mumbai on Exp.way, my vehicle on middle lane; the three axle volvo bus came from my right side and overtook me. In front of him was another MSRTC bus on right most lane; he overtook him from left and came straight in front me; another truck in front of him in middle lane; he went to extreme left lane and overtook that multi-axle truck and then again joined on the extreme right lane. That was in mere 2-3 minutes at a speed in over three digits. And it was in Lonavala-Khandala ghat section.

MX6 - waiting for your checklist. I refrained from traveling long distances till my son was 1.5 years; but your story is just fantabulous.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:55   #202
Team-BHP Support

Your four year old son already knows about differentials?

Next time I have a question on thrust vectoring or benefits of regenerative braking, I know whom to ask!
Old 6th April 2010, 12:01   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
I refrained from traveling long distances till my son was 1.5 years;
My impression is that it is easier to travel if kid is less than 1 year or older than 4 years.

For kids less than 1 year, food and mother's care are the most important. They tend to sleep a lot.

For kids between 1 to 4, they need to be kept occupied with games and other attractions. When my son was 3 years old, it was tough. He would not look outside and enjoy the surroundings. He keep looking inside at his toys, games etc and would get bored fast. Then his mother needs to start playing games etc. After some time, he gets bored of that too. Then he starts pestering me to reach destination faster.

I think for kids above 4, awareness is more. My son is now 4. Nowadays, he notices other cars on road, tries to identify the model. He warns me of trucks, humps etc. This is much better than pestering me to reach destination faster.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:26   #204
BHPian

Absolutely. I was equaly to hear that answer; and my anger gave way to a smile.

And he often mistakes Cow to a goat but come to car models, he can tell if its a Dzire or a Swift. Nowadays, he enjoys long distance travels in car; mainly because he gets to see many vehicles on highways.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:45   #205
BHPian

captivating travellogue and your kutty is a real cutie.

'Who dares wins' - You and your family are the real winners for this adventure of yours. I am not sure in what mindset you wanted to do this 5000 km and how in the world your wife agreed for the same to travel with a 1 year old.

ps: I should have seen this post earlier, not sure how i missed it.
Problem with replying for an old thread is whatever you want to say is already said by others.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:53   #206
BHPian

MX 6- you seem to have forgotten about this thread. Waiting for the trivia and more.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:22   #207
BHPian

Hi MX6,

Waiting for the list and plan that you prepared.... Please post it as soon as possible. I have started preparing one. Will complete and compare it with yours just to make sure I dont miss anything.

Thanks.
Old 20th April 2010, 22:07   #208
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Our daughter had no issues with sitting in a car seat from young age. As a baby one doesn't get much choice. Further, the car seat mimics the shape of the womb. But all trouble crops when the baby is grown enough to move it's hands and legs - to grasp and crawl. And when the head is held steady, it wants to look outside.

We started taking her out very early. We brought her home putting her in the car seat on the 3rd day she was born.
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-car-seat-1.jpg

Bitter winters didn't deter us. The first visit to the library when she was 35 days old.
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-library.jpg

Bus journey to Stirling meant, her own seat for her car seat with the seat belt on. Decided to place her front facing as she was big enough at 2.5 months.
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-stirling-.jpg

Out of the bus! Still not out of the car seat. Easy to carry. Also good for her to acclimatize. She comes out only when her nappies need to be changed. Oh yes, that's model of Stirling castle in Stirling Castle.
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-stirling-2.jpg

Even trains meant car seat. Virgin Pendolino coasting at around 180 kmph. Still she sleeps in her car seat.
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-virgin.jpg

Her car seat goes on the pram when she goes even to the nearby zoo.
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-leeds.jpg

The car seat and the pram were her home. Once she's back to the real home, she's let free. Rewarded for her good conduct in the car seat. She loves being free!
A trip close to heart - Pune to Tirunelveli-free.jpg

It took 4 months of sensitization before she understood the boundaries set forth by the car seat.
Back in India was the bigger challenge. Unlike UK, facilities were very less. Especially hygenic places for feeding and nappy change. So long drives mean, plan appropriately.
Coming up next: The first few drives in India
Old 20th April 2010, 22:36   #209
Senior - BHPian

MX6, thats very interesting trivia.
So early in her life, your daughter has been on the move.
Good to know that she has taken it well.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:59   #210
Team-BHP Support

Looks very comfortable!

Is it just my imagination or is the babyseat growing bigger in size along with the baby?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks