Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 02:10   #211
Senior - BHPian

Hi MX6,
Good to see that you are back. The photo from the zoo is the second best the little one is beautifully dressed up in a furry creature outfit and the furry one has a perplexed look on its face.

The best is the first one of your daughter coming home for the first time. It reminds me of my two nephews when they were brought home in similar fashion.
Old 21st April 2010, 05:48   #212
Team-BHP Support

Yes getting acclimatised makes a lot of difference. My kid would now sit on car seat only. In fact she demands it! But yes they tend to get restless if they are not able to see whats happening outside.

One more thing to note is that as they get older, you need to change the car seat according to the size, as it becomes difficult for them to move arms and legs in the smaller one. Many times people forget this fact (One size fits all). This will never apply for long distance driving.
Old 21st April 2010, 08:04   #213
Senior - BHPian

Don't know where to post, but since I intend to reach MX6, I thought this is the best place. MX6 - Just wanted to let you know that my daughter handled the journey very well for about 1200+ odd Kms. The longest stretch we drove was from Chennai to Mysore with 3-4 halts of totally 466 Kms & there was absolutely no difference with her. All during the trip she never complained on anything but taught us that - She cannot sleep without A/C
Old 21st April 2010, 09:52   #214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
She cannot sleep without A/C
Oh yes AC is a must. You turn it on and within seconds they sleep and that without any lullabies!
Old 21st April 2010, 10:00   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Oh yes AC is a must. You turn it on and within seconds they sleep and that without any lullabies!
Seconds is the right word. But my Son isn't that way, he sleeps wherever possible & he demands only for a fan.
Old 21st April 2010, 14:27   #216
Senior - BHPian

How are the kids in twisty, curvy ghat sections? Though I reduce my speed to 40s, still my son ends up throwing up. Has happened in Nilambur, Shimoga, Tenkasi .... almost all the ghat sections.
Old 21st April 2010, 15:10   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
How are the kids in twisty, curvy ghat sections? Though I reduce my speed to 40s, still my son ends up throwing up. Has happened in Nilambur, Shimoga, Tenkasi .... almost all the ghat sections.
Only place I had issues was in the Munnar ghats from Udumalpet.
Ooty also had no issues. I guess one is longevity of the travel and the other, is not to travel on a full stomach. Keep feeding them as it comes and that too in small lots. Have lots of fluids as resource.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:46   #218
Team-BHP Support

Car sickness effect is lower in the front seats. Kids in the front seat is not recommended though, in airbag equipped cars. Driving with the windows down also might help.
Old 21st April 2010, 17:50   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Driving with the windows down also might help.
Driving down with windows makes everyone tired soon; or did you mean opening the window once in a while?
Old 21st April 2010, 19:01   #220
Team-BHP Support

I meant driving with the windows down only in the ghat section. That's where people get car sick. Also, in the ghats, generally the air will be fresh because of all the trees - so A/C is not required unless it is incredibly hot or you are stuck behind a smoke belching truck.
Old 21st April 2010, 19:11   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I meant driving with the windows down only in the ghat section. That's where people get car sick. Also, in the ghats, generally the air will be fresh because of all the trees - so A/C is not required unless it is incredibly hot or you are stuck behind a smoke belching truck.
That was exactly my trick to beat the Munnar problem.
Old 21st April 2010, 20:42   #222
BHPian

Travelling with kids is sure a daunting task but keep these following tips handy to avoid kids and grownup from motion sickness:
1) Never eat too much while travelling especially in ghats section.
2) never eat food that is mix of solid food and liquid --like Dal chawal, cucumber etc.
3) Keep something to munch like chewing gum,mint or toffee.
4) keep talking to someone.
5) start playing a game to distract your attention from road.
6) Smell lemon and ginger if you are more prone to vomits.
7) close your eyes and sing a song. The more your brain distracts itself from road the better you would be.
8) try to keep you head in straight sitting position and do not allow to wobble it as the liquid in your eardrum is the primary cause of you feeling dizzy due to motion sickness.
9) Drive slow.
10) Ensure that your car does not throws nasty fumes form engine as sometimes diesel vehicles tend to aggravate this bad feeling.

Any doctors here can correct me if I am wrong but these are my practical experiences that I learnt on my trip to yamunotri - badrinath route.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:08   #223
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Travelling with kids is sure a daunting task but keep these following tips handy to avoid kids and grownup from motion sickness:
1) Never eat too much while travelling especially in ghats section.
2) never eat food that is mix of solid food and liquid --like Dal chawal, cucumber etc.
3) Keep something to munch like chewing gum,mint or toffee.
4) keep talking to someone.
5) start playing a game to distract your attention from road.
6) Smell lemon and ginger if you are more prone to vomits.
7) close your eyes and sing a song. The more your brain distracts itself from road the better you would be.
8) try to keep you head in straight sitting position and do not allow to wobble it as the liquid in your eardrum is the primary cause of you feeling dizzy due to motion sickness.
9) Drive slow.
10) Ensure that your car does not throws nasty fumes form engine as sometimes diesel vehicles tend to aggravate this bad feeling.

Any doctors here can correct me if I am wrong but these are my practical experiences that I learnt on my trip to yamunotri - badrinath route.
None of this work with my wife. She throws up even if she walks down the ghat section. I try to roll down the windows and get a good breeze. The music helps too. I tell her not to look sideways but look straight ahead or better still, play with our baby and read a book. I drive in such a way that the cornering forces are not felt. Also I tell her to have lime if she has the sensation of throwing up. Finally I stop. She feels it better not to eat much.
For me, nothing matters. On contrary, I eat like Bakasura and get behind the wheel. I once got on to a roller coaster in universal orlando after having a hefty meal. When I got off, all I felt was hungry again!

Quote:
That was exactly my trick to beat the Munnar problem.
Quote:
I keep the a/c on only when it's too hot or I'm coasting at 110 kmph on the gq. A/c disturbs me a lot. First thing is that it's dry with the a/c. Then the O2 content gets depleted that it makes me drowsy. Need to get a car with good climate control next time.

Quote:
Driving down with windows makes everyone tired soon; or did you mean opening the window once in a while?
It tires me only if the temp is high. I drove with the top down in Florida for a nonstop 280 miles at speeds between 80 and 100 mph. Had to stop to refuel. Best fun is when you have the wind on you!

Quote:
Car sickness effect is lower in the front seats. Kids in the front seat is not recommended though, in airbag equipped cars. Driving with the windows down also might help.
True. I've strictly told my daughter that she will not be allowed to sit in front till she's 8 years old.

Quote:
Only place I had issues was in the Munnar ghats from Udumalpet.
Ooty also had no issues. I guess one is longevity of the travel and the other, is not to travel on a full stomach. Keep feeding them as it comes and that too in small lots. Have lots of fluids as resource.
Lime is a good antidote for puking sensation. I tell my wife to cut a piece of lemon and lick it everytime she feels that way. I take lime when I go trekking in adverse conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
My daughter had no issues adjusting. She was happily shaking her leg sitting behind in her car seat.

Quote:
Seconds is the right word. But my Son isn't that way, he sleeps wherever possible & he demands only for a fan.
Quote:
Boy. That's bad. Though this is the first Indian summer for my daughter, I've let her acclimatize the natural way. Only when the temp touched 42 last week in Pune, I went and bought an Air-cooler. Precautionary method. I've adamantly said no to an AC whenever my parents wanted one for my daughter.

Quote:
Don't know where to post, but since I intend to reach MX6, I thought this is the best place. MX6 - Just wanted to let you know that my daughter handled the journey very well for about 1200+ odd Kms. The longest stretch we drove was from Chennai to Mysore with 3-4 halts of totally 466 Kms & there was absolutely no difference with her. All during the trip she never complained on anything but taught us that - She cannot sleep without A/C
Congrats on the sensitization over the trip. But try to acclimatize her to normal conditions gradually, but at the earliest. Kids become tough only that way. We mollycoddle them, they lose the edge. There's a saying in Tamil, what can't be bent at 5 will never bend at 50.

Quote:
Yes getting acclimatised makes a lot of difference. My kid would now sit on car seat only. In fact she demands it! But yes they tend to get restless if they are not able to see whats happening outside.
One more thing to note is that as they get older, you need to change the car seat according to the size, as it becomes difficult for them to move arms and legs in the smaller one. Many times people forget this fact (One size fits all). This will never apply for long distance driving.
True. Car seat is not changed according to size. It's changed according to weight. It's all to do with a person's awareness. I'm waiting for my daughter to reach 13 kilos so that I can get her the next one from Graco.
Unless the babies are too thin or obese, the weight grows proportionate to the height anyway. But the onus is laid on weight because in case of a crash, the maximum weight a car seat can support is clearly the defining point as to when you upgrade to the next in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi MX6,
Good to see that you are back. The photo from the zoo is the second best the little one is beautifully dressed up in a furry creature outfit and the furry one has a perplexed look on its face.
The best is the first one of your daughter coming home for the first time. It reminds me of my two nephews when they were brought home in similar fashion.
Thanks Khoj. Can't let my admirers down. Can't take panga with you, most importantly. She had a field day at the zoo. She's in that outfit because the temperature was around 7 deg celcius. Bringing her home is an amazing feeling. Can't be expressed. many members here have experienced it. SmartCat will be experiencing it soon.

Quote:
Looks very comfortable!
Is it just my imagination or is the babyseat growing bigger in size along with the baby?
It's partly your imagination. Though the seat doesn't grow in size, kids amazingly tend to fill up the space available at any stage. That's what she's been doing since she was 4 kilos till now. Soon, I'll be upgrading her to the next car seat. The current is only for kids below 13 kilos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
MX6, thats very interesting trivia.
So early in her life, your daughter has been on the move.
Good to know that she has taken it well.
Thanks Fordmanchau. She absolutely loves it. The last 6 months I've driven 24K kms on my ikon. She's been a part of my trips almost 2/3rd of that time. That makes it 16K kms at an average!

Keep an eye on this thread. The sensitizing didn't stop at this. A couple more of posts regarding the experimental drives. Then the things I specially bought for my daughter. Then finally the checklists and sample plans. This travelogue will be completed max before this weekend!

Thanks all for waiting patiently.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:31   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I drive in such a way that the cornering forces are not felt.
Now that's a shame - you own an Ikon. You need to let the tyres scream atleast once during the ghats.

Quote:
A/c disturbs me a lot. First thing is that it's dry with the a/c. Then the O2 content gets depleted that it makes me drowsy. Need to get a car with good climate control next time.
Nothing to do with climate control. O2 levels won't deplete if you select "external air circulation". But you need somebody sitting next to you preferably to switch On/Off the external air circulation button - because it lets truck/bus smoke also inside the car.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:41   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing to do with climate control. O2 levels won't deplete if you select "external air circulation". But you need somebody sitting next to you preferably to switch On/Off the external air circulation button - because it lets truck/bus smoke also inside the car.
I think he's talking about drowsiness due to lack of good amount fresh air circulation for long time. As you rightly said, the external air circulation helps not only in letting in smoke, but also lets in little amount of air. And the worst part is, if the pungent smell of exhaust gets inside the car, it keeps circulating until you down the window.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks