Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 09:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pic of Burj Khalifa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
During my travels I have used Dubai as a transit many times but this was the first time I went there. The hotel drop to the airport also had 3 Gujrati boys who were going back to Mumbai after vacationing and were carrying a 32" Samsung TV. In all my flights from Dubai to India I've seen at least 2 TVs in the check in luggage. Gujju boys told me they got the 32" for AED 15XX/- which is approx INR 20k.
Why carry 2 TV's? One to drop off at custom's check is it? . On a serious tone, no matter Dubai or Dallas, I think the limits of bringing foreign goods are the same isn't it?

@jaysmokesleaves - Is that all it costs? No wonder its one of the great tourist spot
Old 1st May 2010, 09:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

@ lsp: thats really amazing, T-BHP spottings outside india!
Old 1st May 2010, 11:14   #33
lsp
BHPian

What I meant was that Ive seen at least 2 TVs being in the luggage, both belonging to different people obviously. Not the same person carrying 2 TVs with him

I think one doesn't need to pay anything for a 26" or less. A friend who brought in a Sony 26" for AED1k from Dubai told me that. Not too sure about the bigger dimensions. But a Sony 26" at INR13k is still a steal I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Why carry 2 TV's? One to drop off at custom's check is it? . On a serious tone, no matter Dubai or Dallas, I think the limits of bringing foreign goods are the same isn't it?
Old 1st May 2010, 15:06   #34
BHPian

32" sony bravia is not an issue now a days to carry from Dubai per passenger, I just came back in April this year and saw atleast 50 of them, the customs were not even bothered about them, they didnt stopped anyone, you get a good price at around 18k indian rupees, there are lot of offers going now a days in dubai, sorry picked up this thread a little late.

cheers.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

I believe same is the case with Bangkok regarding Sony TV's, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
I believe same is the case with Bangkok regarding Sony TV's, correct me if I'm wrong.
You are absolutely correct..
Old 1st May 2010, 21:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Saint. Is the trend limited to Sony's or other brands as well? I remember when I was going to Amritsar in Shatabdi from Delhi in March, I saw a person with a Samsung LCD (from Thailand) and this made me think 'how come Samsung and not Sony?'.
Old 1st May 2010, 22:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
What I meant was that Ive seen at least 2 TVs being in the luggage, both belonging to different people obviously. Not the same person carrying 2 TVs with him
Well, I intended to say that 1 for me & 1 for sale.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Thanks Saint. Is the trend limited to Sony's or other brands as well? I remember when I was going to Amritsar in Shatabdi from Delhi in March, I saw a person with a Samsung LCD (from Thailand) and this made me think 'how come Samsung and not Sony?'.
No, it is totally your choice which TV you like, some people are die hard fan of Sony, I bought 32" Samsung my self 1 1/2 years back from Dubai, I am not into TV's so much, but with my limited knowledge the panel for Sony are also made by Samsung but Sony has its own Bravia engine and people like it for its brand value. I like the Samsung.

Cheers
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

And i thought that the thread was about Dubai....
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:48   #41
MX6
Senior - BHPian

+1 agspins. I keep coming to this trip thinking of dubai. But now let down looking at things related to samsung/ sony. Guess if this continues, mod's will move this thread to Gadgets, computers and s/w section.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:57   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A 7 day trip to Dubai !!!

Hi guys,

I am planning to go on a holiday to Dubai during end december, probably from 24-28 december,2012. Need advice on:
1. Places to visit: Am not interested in seeing museums or religious places.
2. Any recommendations for a Hotel: not looking at luxury chains but for a decent, not so heavy on your pocket, kind of place.
3. Is december a good time to visit Dubai? Would the trip cost me substantially more since its the holiday season?
4. I would be travelling with my parents and sister. Confused between going on our own or taking a package tour. I am more in favour of organizing it myself rather than relying on some pre scheduled fixed tour which becomes too hectic and takes the fun away from the holiday.

Waiting for some inputs. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:47   #43
BANNED

@drmohitg; We spent a few days there last year. Four of us, and the cost was about Rs.165k all inclusive, from Cox and Kings (they do offer you make a custom itinerary, if you want). This included a boat trip on the creek (waste of time), city sight seeing, airport transfers, visas, etc. Some simple suggestions:

Places to visit - Burj Khalifa, Burj al Arab, and Dune Bashing. For the former book online in advance. Khalifa is 100AED in advance, 400AED on the spot. For Burj al Arab you should book online for breakfast (I think AED195 per head) in the lobby, you will not be allowed in otherwise.

Hotel - we stayed in a good 4* in the Bur Dubai area (most centra). This was the Royal Ascot. There is also a slightly cheaper Ascot next to it.
December should be Ok. We went in early May.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi guys,

I am planning to go on a holiday to Dubai during end december, probably from 24-28 december,2012. Need advice on:
1. Places to visit: Am not interested in seeing museums or religious places.
2. Any recommendations for a Hotel: not looking at luxury chains but for a decent, not so heavy on your pocket, kind of place.
3. Is december a good time to visit Dubai? Would the trip cost me substantially more since its the holiday season?
4. I would be travelling with my parents and sister. Confused between going on our own or taking a package tour. I am more in favour of organizing it myself rather than relying on some pre scheduled fixed tour which becomes too hectic and takes the fun away from the holiday.

Waiting for some inputs. Thanks in advance.
The cheapest time to go to Dubai is during Jan end to 1st week of March as that is exam time in Dubai and flights go literally empty.December ofcourse is peak time in any part of the world.Also June to September is a big NO as it is summer vacation time in the middle east.

If you are able to manage it on your own,nothing like it.Package tours to Dubai are so predictable,they do a mall tour one day,they do a desert safari and throw in a dinner in the middle of the desert with a belly dance and do a mandatory elevator ride to the top of Burj al Khalifa.I mean no offence meant to people who take the package tours,but just that you are bound by their rules.

The best way to do it would be book the airline tickets yourself(Indigo offers some attractive fares since they have just started service on the India-DXB sector),Spicejet too has begun flights,Emirates also comes up with some good ones,else fly to Sharjah on Air Arabia which is a budget airline,else fly to Abu Dhabi on Etihad and they transfer you to Dubai in their Merc limos or Merc buses,else check Fly Dubai which is the budget arm of Emirates.You could also stay in Sharjah and go around Dubai.Sharjah hotels are cheaper.

Book your hotel from here,there are tons and tons of hotels including the Indian chains.December ofcourse would be peak rates as Xmas-NY is peak anywhere.You could book your hotels using the travel sites or directly with the hotels.

Once you check into the hotel,get a trip organised locally from the hotel travel desk.You could also just hop into a cab and they would take you to most places,People are very accomodating and friendly there.Would work out cheaper and plus you would get to see and feel the place better than these tailor made trips,plus going via a trip organiser from India you end up quite a premium to the agents.
Old 26th September 2012, 13:34   #45
BANNED

@ranjitp1; Unless you are travelling Emirates you will have to get a sponsor and then apply for the Visa. No hassle otherwise since it is totally on-line and you just have to send a scan of the passport and of a PP size photo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks