Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 15:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alka View Post
......I do believe that "my car" was the first Zen in to rallying scene.
She does acknowledge it was her car!!!

Update: Rains in the plains - Snow in the mountains? As it is the video of Pir ki Gali was scary enough. With rain / snow now what will be our fate when we cross this??
Old 8th June 2010, 16:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Did any one watch the preview of Mughal Road run by TimesNow channel yesterday? It will be telecast again today at 10:30 and 17:30.
Saw it on Sunday - 10.30 am, awesome stuff! Were you in the Fortuner??
Old 8th June 2010, 22:19   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

No that was Vijay and Surhid the organisers of this rally. Manjeev and Shrey were in Pajero.

I would be going in my Grand Vitara.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sudev ji

your mind map is simply brilliant. i learnt about mind mapping as a thinking tool few years ago, Even though i have used it couple of times in business strategy development, i am seeing its application for the first time in real life.

thanks for sharing about the PC tool for mind mapping now.
of course it simply records what gets drawn, that itself is of great assistance.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:38   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

@starvegabond: Yep it is a great tool and is also extremely useful for group brain storming sessions with easy web page output as notes at end of session.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:13   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Mindmap planning - A bit OT

This screenshot gives the top level mindmap that I have created for making sure everything goes as planned for the Mughal Road rally:
Name:  Screenshot6.png
Views: 1495
Size:  7.9 KB

When I click on a branch I can get details of the same. I can drill down as many levels as I need. Here is screen shot of pending clarifications vis the rules I read in the Supplementary Regulations.
My Mughal Road Rally-screenshot3.png

When attempting an entry in to organised sport it is better to make sure that you read and understand the rules and regulations you to follow. Never "assume" and if in doubt re-confirm.

This screen shot show list of things to be done to the car and current status of the same:
Name:  Screenshot5.png
Views: 1587
Size:  38.9 KB

The second screenshot above show "Twin Filament Headlamps". When I read the regulations it was written that the vehicle should have working headlamps with high / low beams using twin filament headlamps. Now many of the newer vehicles, including the Grand Vitara, come with two single filament headlamps (one for high beam and the other for low). While the complete OE unit becomes a working headlight unit it is still uses two single filament bulbs. It is better to cross check and get okay than find at scrutiny that your vehicle is not allowed a start or after the rally find you self disqualified.

So what......those who have read about rallying will know how small technicalities can spoil your outing. Read this BBC headline from 1966 and you will understand my anxiety! http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/21/newsid_2506000/2506863.stm

For a very refreshing account of rallying history of Mini read The Italian Job

Last edited by sudev : 9th June 2010 at 16:17.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:54   #37
BHPian

Wow, now I realize that you will be taking the Srinagar-Daksum-Kishtwar-Jammu route as well. This is real beauty. I remember, when in school, we used to go to Daksum and Kokarnag for Picnics.

Pir ki Gali is scary. Even the fortuner got stuck:-)

Have fun, win the prize and do come back with lots of memories.
Old 12th June 2010, 06:08   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

@sanjaykaul: The route is the reason for participation. The rally will cover some virtually virgin routes which are normally closed for visitors.

Sample item to be completed before allowed a start. The height width and colour of lettering is also specified. How and where do I get "black" reflective tape???
My Mughal Road Rally-screenshot7.png
Old 12th June 2010, 14:29   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Yay all things done and now ready to pass the scrutiny.....I feel like cat who has swallowed the canary!!
Tweety: Puddy Tat where are you? It is so dark in here!
Pussy Cat: Its because you are inside my tummy!!

Stickers done. Apparently there is a black reflective tape for doing what the organisers wanted. Real close look it is "dark" grey but appears almost black. Whew.

On a related note the check list of things that are mandatory is all ticked but for painting the front and rear two hooks of the car "Red". The apparent purpose of this is to help rescuers locate winching points of your car easily. There are two small red arrows (for sake of ease also made of red reflective tape) stuck on the bumper pointing to the location of tow hooks.

The mind map now looks like this:
Name:  Screenshot8.png
Views: 2496
Size:  34.4 KB

I have puncture repair kit for tubeless tires but I do not have a air compressor and unless I get some one to loan it to me (ANYONE?) I have decided to use road side facilities only. I do have two spare wheels so I guess this should be okay.

Snow chains are not mandatory and I do not have them. As I am in TSD category I feel there would have been enough extreme and TSD vehicles ahead of me to either clog the road or clean it out!!! Keeping fingers crossed on that.

Last edited by sudev : 12th June 2010 at 14:33.
Old 13th June 2010, 23:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hai Sudev,

Thanks for this thread, reading about the prep and list is kicking an adrelanine surge for me. I can understand some of what Alkaji is feeling, was was a rallyer and my marriage put a stop to that!!!!

Started with "Rubber 500" a bike rally which used to start and end from Hotel Hilda, Kanjirapally, Kaerla, a 500 kms event through the western ghats, did twice on Road King, event ended aorund 1987 with a couple of accidents. Moved to Popular Rally, Cochin, drove two times, failed to complete twice, and navigated once after it was given a national rally status, came close to the 3rd prize and lost due to 18 more minus point way back in the 80's.

My wife put a lid to the rallying days, the only part of my marriage I regret. The dull aching pain of not rallying is arsenic to the soul; try to anesthetize it by doing long drive with family now. Congrats in converting your wife to the sport, I failed here miserably Salutes to Alkaji for supporting you and joining you on this rally, this is a capital idea.

Wishing you Godspeed, all the luck and excitement. Watching this space keenly, please keep updating it.

Mindmaping is a great tool, we train our senior managers on Tony Buzan and the concept extensively for them to manage projects and evaluate progress on time scales with check-lists.

If things go on plan, I would be around Leh/ Nubra around 25th June.

Ramky
======
Old 15th June 2010, 19:05   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Murphy strikes!

Despite planning
Despite reading regulations
Despite making mind maps
Despite knowing
Old 16th June 2010, 10:02   #42
BHPian

What Happened Sudev Sir?

Anything serious?

Last edited by sanjaykaul : 16th June 2010 at 10:03. Reason: Spell
Old 16th June 2010, 19:11   #43

Nothing serious, he is just loves drama.

The Regulations specified "Personal Accident insurance with High Risk cover including hospitalisation benefits" what we got in our hand was "Personal Accident Insurance with High Risk"

I spotted the discrepancy and pointed it out that hospitalisation benefits were not included. Got the old policy cancelled and new one issued. Lost 25% of premium amount.

Would have been a potential "Murphy Strike". Taken care and keeping fingers crossed.

Sudev is touring till Saturday and once he is back the final burst of hectic preparations would be done before we leave for Srinagar on 22nd via Jammu.
Old 17th June 2010, 06:32   #44
BHPian

congrats dude for getting back into the circuit.

I was pleasantly surprised to find your name in participants list. Old habits die hard, i guess.

And by the way, even the prize money looks good for a change, in Indian motorsport scene. And after such long time. It sure is tempting.

Best of luck to you both.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Came across this thread a bit late and what an interesting read.

Also learned a thing today about MindMapping and on telling that to my wife got the Mind Mapping book by Tony Buzan. Never knew we had that in the house

All the best Sudev & Alka ji. Wish you goodspeed & a safe rally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks