Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:03   #46
Team-BHP Support

@Siva,

Two Points to note:

1. Grass is always greener on the other side. This does not apply to Kerala!
2. Familiarity breeds contempt!
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures there BigZero, you are a BigHero now.

Now I feel like missed some beautiful views by speeding up my Nilambur trip last time.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:28   #48
BHPian

Thanks everyone!

ampere, I agree with you!

There are so many beautiful places in our country, we just need to pause and enjoy the scenery sometime!
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:25   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
we just need to pause and enjoy the scenery sometime!
+1 to that! I travel to my wife's place in Nilambur quite often and the only time I really paused on the way was to take a few photos of the road -- my photos here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ilambur-3.html . I really admire the time and patience you've taken to click these wonderful snaps as well as pen down details of the place. Nilambur really looks good in your snaps... I'm giving you 5 stars for it.
Old 29th August 2010, 23:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Gudalur - Nilambur - Manjeri - NH17 (towards Kochi)

Bigzero - amazing snaps! You have motivated me to take this route on my way to Kochi next month

Any idea on the latest road conditions on Gudalur - Nilambur route. Also, which is the best/optimal route Nilambur onwards to hit NH17 and continue onwards towards Kochi?
Old 1st September 2010, 17:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
To get a flavour of the tropical rainforests of Nilambur, the least inconveninent place to go is Nedungayam. You will not be permitted to go deep into the forest unless with permission from the forest range office. However, the entry point is good enough. Lush green forests teeming with tall canopy trees, a rocky and turbulent river, a riveted steel truss bridge made by the British, an elephant camp, a log house etc are the things that come to my mind - though I haven't been there in 20 years!
Can you please share the location? Is this on the left turn from Edakkara?
Old 1st September 2010, 20:18   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Can you please share the location? Is this on the left turn from Edakkara?
you can take a left either just before edakkara town or go straight further 12KMS and take a left turn from chandakkunnnu. ask for the route to Karulai.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Bigzero - amazing snaps! You have motivated me to take this route on my way to Kochi next month

Any idea on the latest road conditions on Gudalur - Nilambur route. Also, which is the best/optimal route Nilambur onwards to hit NH17 and continue onwards towards Kochi?
Thanks for the feedback!

The last I drove in that stretch was in this July, it was quite ok then.

Nilambur to Kochi, there are many options.

1) Nilambur - Wandoor - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Shoranur - Wadakkanchery - Thrissur - Kochi . I believe roads are good throughout. Level Crossing at Wadakkancherry could slow you down a bit I guess.

2) Nilambur-Pattambi-Koottanad-Chalissery-Kunnamkulam-Chavakkad-Edappally- I dont know the difference, distance-wise in this route. I believe once you hit Chavakkad, the road is good all the way to Edappalli.

Someone who has used the TCR-EKM and Chavakkad-Edappally stretches recently will be able to give an update on the comparative merits of each route.

I had, in the last couple of occasions, used the first option. Wasnt a clearly researched decision, just turned towards Shoranur and drove on thats all. I need to try crossing the Bharathapuzha at Pattambi and try the other route next time.

OK, tried google maps as I was typing. It gave the second option as the default route - 174 km from Nilambur. The first option is shown as 178 km ( both to EKM ). So there is not much difference in terms of distance.

Hope this helps!
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

BigZero - thanks for the detailed feedback. I would preferably want to avoid the Trissur route since NH47 is quite congested. I checked with one of the staff at KTDC Nilambur and he recommended Nilambur - Wandoor - Pandikkad - Pattikkad - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam - Chavakkad. Also, MudMover would be doing this route later this month (a day before me actually ) and will share the latest updates.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:05   #55
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, Did you get a chance to take this route to cochin ? I have a drive next week to Chaliserry and hence was wondering as to how are the road conditions.
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Nilambur is a very pretty place. Just drove through it on the TFN recce recently. Nice pics.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:38   #57
BHPian

Re: A few photos from Nilambur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is one of the oldest (originally meter gauge) rail line sin Kerala, built to ship teak out of the Nilambur forests to Shoranur on the main line. Now it seems to be converted into broad gauge.
Just wondering if in the last 50 years, except for Ernakulam->Alleppey->Kayamkulam railway line, was there any new railway lines laid in Kerala?
Am not talking about (a)gauge conversion, (b) doubling and (c) electrification. Anyone knows the list for (a), (b) and (c) is requested to give me pointers to the information regarding the same !
Old 12th July 2011, 17:07   #58
BHPian

hey BigZero, excellent pictures and very beautiful narration. Never knew Nilambur was so beautiful.Rated 5 stars.
999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 09:31   #59
Team-BHP Support

Today's Times of India reports announcement of a new train from Nilambut to TVM.

Train #:16349/16350.
Its a daily train.
Old 4th December 2011, 18:54   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Today's Times of India reports announcement of a new train from Nilambut to TVM.

Train #:16349/16350.
Its a daily train.
Yes its called Rajya Rani express. Its quite a big thing for the Nilambur line a) direct train to TVM b) first express train in the route and c) the first night train in the route.

I believe the train was greeted with much fanfare! it did a round trip from Nilambur to Shoranur completely free of cost on the first day, before it left for TVM on its first scheduled run.

Overall the Nilambur branchline is some sort of a turnaround story - it was going down a couple of decades earlier and there was every chance of it being wound up; however, the local people formed an association and pushed for more trains and better amenities. Patronage increased phenomenally ( I guess all of the 6-7 trains that run nowadays are all full ). The tracks were reconditioned, some of the stations were improved . I believe the running times have improved considerably as well, as the speed limit has been improved.

Talks have been on for extending the rail line to Nanjangud and thus connecting to Mysore and beyond ... but that goes right through the nilgiri biosphere, and thats where the problem is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks