Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 10:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

finally started at 7:45 on the dream run however the notorious delhi traffic started by the time we reached dhaula kuan. My bro who was not used to this route started freakin out saying that we should have started early etc but i assured him tht we wud be at the gurgaon toll within nxt 15 mins and i kept my word too.

As i crossed the toll at ggn i almost took a left turn towards the amby mall as thts my regular office route but managed to take the flyover in time as there was no looking back for me...i was like..oh boy youre on a vacation now.

To be contd
Old 28th May 2010, 11:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

here are couple of pics from when we started. Filled fuel worth 1400 and put the trip meter at 0
Attached Thumbnails
Road trip : Delhi - Mumbai - Delhi on my Alto ( with some live updtes - hopefully )-harry199.jpg  

Road trip : Delhi - Mumbai - Delhi on my Alto ( with some live updtes - hopefully )-harry200.jpg  

Old 28th May 2010, 11:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

@harishnayak
I read this thread the day you started it and was thinking of asking you for a lift up to Bombay Would have enjoyed being back on a road that I used to frequent pre NHAI days. The route was absolutely safe even then except for the stretch between Udaipur to Ahmedabad. This was to be avoided from Sun down to Sun up, I wonder how are the conditions now, must have improved a lot with the increase in traffic.

We could have come back as a convoy too as I need to bring my swift back from there unless I can sell it first.

Drive safe and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If travelling on NH8, watch out for the long jams at the River Narmada bridge between Bharuch and Ankleshwar.
Hi hvkumar,

I last crossed this bridge in January on my way from Bombay to Dahej and the jam towards Bombay was nearly half a kilometer long with half a dozen vehicles lined up in the lanes going our way. This at 4pm. What is the reason for this ever increasing hold up. Are they carrying some repairs to the toll bridge or building a new one? OR is it the time taken per transaction at the toll booth.

On the return journey took the old iron bridge and as suspected the shared Jeep taxis still lunge at cars with out of state plates in the closed confines. I wonder why?

Last edited by khoj : 28th May 2010 at 11:17.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Harish,
All the best for the journey. You have started already and hope that you are making good progress on the road.Will be waiting for more details and pics from your side.Had followed your earlier Delhi-karnataka travelogue.Hope you'll match the standards you have set last time for yourself. hehe..
Old 28th May 2010, 13:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I am on my way back from Ahmedabad and at present in RTDC Sahapura. I will leave for Noida in the next 1 hour and hope to spot you enroute.
All the best for your trip.
hey thats cool and as i mentioned on v&v's tl that i would be heading that way while ull be towards delhi...btw im currently 90 kms from ajmer. Do keep me posted on your status and maybe we can meet up somewhere midway
Old 28th May 2010, 13:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@harishnayak
I read this thread the day you started it and was thinking of asking you for a lift up to Bombay Would have enjoyed being back on a road that I used to frequent pre NHAI days. The route was absolutely safe even then except for the stretch between Udaipur to Ahmedabad. This was to be avoided from Sun down to Sun up, I wonder how are the conditions now, must have improved a lot with the increase in traffic.

We could have come back as a convoy too as I need to bring my swift back from there unless I can sell it first.

Drive safe and have fun.

Hi hvkumar,

I last crossed this bridge in January on my way from Bombay to Dahej and the jam towards Bombay was nearly half a kilometer long with half a dozen vehicles lined up in the lanes going our way. This at 4pm. What is the reason for this ever increasing hold up. Are they carrying some repairs to the toll bridge or building a new one? OR is it the time taken per transaction at the toll booth.

On the return journey took the old iron bridge and as suspected the shared Jeep taxis still lunge at cars with out of state plates in the closed confines. I wonder why?
hey you could have sent me a pm for the ride..i anyways had a vacant seat considering the rest of the space for the bags.

Hv sir - ill be most probably doing the route mentioned by khoj at night so hope its fine now...ive worst (read chambal ghats at arnd 1 am)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Harish,
All the best for the journey. You have started already and hope that you are making good progress on the road.Will be waiting for more details and pics from your side.Had followed your earlier Delhi-karnataka travelogue.Hope you'll match the standards you have set last time for yourself. hehe..
yes im about 70 kms from ajmer now and my bro is driving now.you know what before replyin to abeer i typed everything in detail with 7 pics on my fone and bang the network disappeared..grrr. Ill be posting the details and the pics of the trip so far. Don't worry this time ill take my tl to the next level...lol
Old 28th May 2010, 14:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays, there are no safety issues on the Udaipur-Ahmedabad road, there is also lots of truck traffic all the time.

One of the 2 Narmada River Bridges is closed for repairs and open only to light vehicles. which means all trucks are being diverted both sides on a single bridge, resulting in long Qs and delays. Make ensure you spot the Q well in advance and take the wrong side/ detour into town to escape the jams.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hv sir - ill be most probably doing the route mentioned by khoj at night so hope its fine now...ive worst (read chambal ghats at arnd 1 am)

Quote:
Nowadays, there are no safety issues on the Udaipur-Ahmedabad road, there is also lots of truck traffic all the time.

One of the 2 Narmada River Bridges is closed for repairs and open only to light vehicles. which means all trucks are being diverted both sides on a single bridge, resulting in long Qs and delays. Make ensure you spot the Q well in advance and take the wrong side/ detour into town to escape the jams.

That is good to know, thank you.

Regarding the bridge it is surprising that the century old bridge is still going strong(touch wood) though open only for light traffic and the decade old one is already under repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak
hey you could have sent me a pm for the ride..i anyways had a vacant seat considering the rest of the space for the bags.
I know, just that I had my nose held to the grinding wheel at work and it slipped my mind. Any how where are you guys now.

Last edited by khoj : 28th May 2010 at 15:29.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:26   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know just that I had my nose held to the grinding wheel at work and it slipped my mind. Any how where are you guys now.
We should add them on google latitude. We can track them everytime they login.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi MX6,

Go ahead. I am still here and with no web connectivity on mobile I am not going anywhere.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:53   #26
BHPian

Hey harish, have a safe trip... and keep us updated....going to be glued to this thread..cheers,

The alto's a lot of fun to drive on the highway, especially with that muffler singing behind you
Old 28th May 2010, 17:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

thanx for the info sir..ill keep you posted when i pass froom there
Quote:

Regarding the bridge it is surprising that the century old bridge is still going strong(touch wood) though open only for light traffic and the decade old one is already under repair.

I know, just that I had my nose held to the grinding wheel at work and it slipped my mind. Any how where are you guys now.
np..theres always a next time
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
We should add them on google latitude. We can track them everytime they login.
that would be great. Im logging in after about every hour but ive failed multiple times in uploading the pics besides those first two pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
Hey harish, have a safe trip... and keep us updated....going to be glued to this thread..cheers,

The alto's a lot of fun to drive on the highway, especially with that muffler singing behind you
thnx dude..how i wish i cud keep sharing the experience and pics but have been failing everytime.

Mods- ive taken the pics in the lowest possible resolution with some pics of only 100 kb but am still not able to upload them successfully thru my fone.pls help if possible.

Btw we just had our lunch and are about 180 kms away from udaipur..the temp is at its peak but thankfully maruti has been efficient enuf to give good air conditioners in alto.

Ill try once again to post the pics...cheers
Old 28th May 2010, 17:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

here is one of the pic tht i took
Attached Thumbnails
Road trip : Delhi - Mumbai - Delhi on my Alto ( with some live updtes - hopefully )-harry210.jpg  

Old 28th May 2010, 17:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

this is what we see after driving 500 kms...lol..bro is sleeping now
Attached Thumbnails
Road trip : Delhi - Mumbai - Delhi on my Alto ( with some live updtes - hopefully )-harry271.jpg  

Old 28th May 2010, 18:15   #30
BHPian

Happy Journey Harish, I am also planning the trip for same route. Your thread will surely help me to make my notes for the route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks