Team-BHP - Guwahati getaways: Bhutan
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Guwahati getaways: Bhutan (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/87532-guwahati-getaways-bhutan-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sami316 (Post 2038115)
Wow San,
As MX6 has earlier mentioned, you really seem to be on fire man. No one's complaining though, bring it on.

Sami these one dayers are kinda food for the soul. The more the better, but so far could manage once in a month sometimes.

San, this is really impressive. One after another great travelogues. clap:

Long back, once I visited a border town with my uncle when in Guwahati, could not exactly recall the name of the town. Something like Garlegphug. Bhutan is very beautiful and pristine from whatever I have seen then.

Come on, please upload more pictures. We are dying to see more.

Keep it up man.:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 2038116)
New bridge at Saraighat - that will be great! Where is it coming up, next to the existing bridge? And when is it due for completion?

The traffic from Baihata to Jalukhbari is crazy, I agree with you that it needs to be as wide as it can be in this 25-km stretch.

Yes, the NH152 looks great, and the elephant crossings are very thoughtful despite that I am sure there is not much traffic on the road.

NH152 connecting to Thimphu - I guess it will join the Gelephu-Trongsa road somewhere.

HvK Gammon India Ltd is constructing it beside the present one, it will be eyeshore though if they don't design it like the old one. Work progress 15% at the most so it might take another 5 years.

NH 152 does not have much vehicular traffic but people use it like their frontyard and cows rest, roam all over so driving fast is dangerous.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy (Post 2038479)
San, this is really impressive. One after another great travelogues. clap:

Long back, once I visited a border town with my uncle when in Guwahati, could not exactly recall the name of the town. Something like Garlegphug. Bhutan is very beautiful and pristine from whatever I have seen then.

Come on, please upload more pictures. We are dying to see more.

Keep it up man.:thumbs up

Thanks, as i was not allowed to go anywhere beyond the border town just few more pictures there. I will try to cover the place once more at a slower pace next time.

I think you went to Gelephu from Bongaigaon side, the terrian that side is quiet diffrent and dangerous. The hiils as i remember goes straight up and has huge stones, we had gone up to a hanging bridge and i remember seeing a monestary or something up in the rugged mountain and wondering how on earth they go up there.

I didn't find anything interesting to buy there but mom had bought those soup bowls with green dragon motifs, flasks with flower print and umbrellas.

Gammon India is also constructing the super-long bridge near Dibrugarh.

San, this travelogue is close to my heart. You have posted the signboard showing village Saderi. That is my birthplace. Pathsala is the town where I had grown up (class V to X). The area is greenest in the Monsoon season. In this time the dust cover vanishes and the Bhutan Hills present a splendid view from Saderi.

PS. My father is a former Principal (in fact, the founder Principal) of The North Kamrup College at Baghmara, the signboard of which (in Assamese) you had clicked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 2038505)
Gammon India is also constructing the super-long bridge near Dibrugarh.

Bogibeel right, till its ready i can't go that side even if touch Dibrugarh as the road condition to ferry ride is only suited for SUV's as seen from your photographs.

But yes once its ready it will be one hell of a bridge to cross. They should just allow people to stop in between to enjoy the view and click a few snaps. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare (Post 2038516)
San, this travelogue is close to my heart. You have posted the signboard showing village Saderi. That is my birthplace. Pathsala is the town where I had grown up (class V to X). The area is greenest in the Monsoon season. In this time the dust cover vanishes and the Bhutan Hills present a splendid view from Saderi.

Yes TnH the place is lovely, next i will go towards Manas NP in this route if possible. You been there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Phrangmung (Post 2038525)
Yes TnH the place is lovely, next i will go towards Manas NP in this route if possible. You been there?

Yes, long back. In 1983 when I was at class IX we had a picnic at Manas (Mathanguri). We took that route (in horrible condition back then) on a Matador.

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Phrangmung (Post 2038503)
I think you went to Gelephu from Bongaigaon side, the terrian that side is quiet diffrent and dangerous. The hiils as i remember goes straight up and has huge stones, we had gone up to a hanging bridge and i remember seeing a monestary or something up in the rugged mountain and wondering how on earth they go up there.

Yes, we went from Bongaigaon side, so you must be right. I remember the road towards the town is just like picture postcard.

The border itself is not marked and since its not an enemy country couldn't really figure out when i entered Bhutan.

I guess the river in the picture markes the boundery. It was a beautiful sight with the sound of the fast moving waters unfortunately to be disturbed by the presence construction workers all over.

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san666.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san665.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san664.jpg

Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san663.jpg

The bridge area
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san702.jpg

Bad road on approach to the bridge
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san703.jpg

The bridge
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san704.jpg

Workers collecting/breaking stones from riverbed
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san705.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare (Post 2038539)
Yes, long back. In 1983 when I was at class IX we had a picnic at Manas (Mathanguri). We took that route (in horrible condition back then) on a Matador.

Right Mathanguri forest bunglow has to be booked for this trip. And i believe road condition still remains the same. So can go that far only in winters, once the rain stop.

So up the road a few minutes from the bridge is the official Bhutan entry gate. Here once needs to stop, park the car and walk to the office to the right and go to two windows.

One window check the licence, write down details and give a token. Second window is where the Royal Bhutan Police take down license & vehicle registration details and log in and out time.
There was another window and a cabin for import export and commercial vehicles and truckkers.

So i park my vehicle behind this waiting Indian truck
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san667.jpg

That's my travel companion waiting to cross
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san668.jpg

Looking towards the gate from the office
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san669.jpg

Bhutan Customs
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san670.jpg

The office front, truckers waiting
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san671.jpg

The gate and a Bhutan registered Omni
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san672.jpg

The office & way to Army barreck
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san701.jpg

Barreck wall
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san697.jpg

The gate from a little up the road
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san698.jpg

I spoke to three individuals on way till the gate. The first person was the owner of the restaurent Birja Cabin in Barama where i had breakfast (Puri sabji & freshly fried samosa).
He told me that he had been to the border for picnic and roads were prety good except the last few km's.

The second person was a Bhutanese official from the cement factory in Nganglam whom i met at Pathsala in front of their transit camp. He told me that road was good as he himself came from there in an Alto. Also told that one needs to take an entry pass from check gate and the town was about 7km from border.

The third person only spoke to me in signs, the fellow at the bridge photo up. Then i thought oh! i have entered another country.

The road after crossing the gate
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san699.jpg

A dwelling up in the hill
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san696.jpg

First concreate building on way a firm
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san695.jpg

Bhutan Army board
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san694.jpg

Bhutan Army board
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san693.jpg

The local government school
Guwahati getaways: Bhutan-san692.jpg