Team-BHP - Guwahati getaways: Bhutan
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Guwahati getaways: Bhutan (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/87532-guwahati-getaways-bhutan-5.html)

@ Sutripta: You have a lovely knowledge of that part of India. Your location shows Kolkata.:thumbs up

@San: You have posted some lovely maps of districts. Though not accurate but at least, one can get some idea. Keep it up my friend.

:OT I still say that I belong to Assam (though I am a Bengali and living in Kolkata (no offence, please)). Can't forget those lovely places. BTW, how's the road from Guwahati to Jorhat, nowadays? I think, I need to visit there soon to discover my state and bring along my memories.

Once again, thanks for bringing back my nostalgia. (Pls answer my question in Madan Kamdev thread regarding routes).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy (Post 2042645)
@San: You have posted some lovely maps of districts. Though not accurate but at least, one can get some idea. Keep it up my friend.

:OT I still say that I belong to Assam (though I am a Bengali and living in Kolkata (no offence, please)). Can't forget those lovely places. BTW, how's the road from Guwahati to Jorhat, nowadays? I think, I need to visit there soon to discover my state and bring along my memories.

Once again, thanks for bringing back my nostalgia. (Pls answer my question in Madan Kamdev thread regarding routes).

Joy MK route info added, but on the Jorhat sector i have been to Kohora in Kaziranga only.

Roads upto Nogaon are so bad that its better to take the Tezpur route and cross over the Kaliabhumura bridge near Jakhalabandha.

Will add the pictures in Kaziranga log.

Assam being what it is, it will be hard for anyone to forget this lovely place & its people. But at the same time i found Kolkatans to be better human beings than Guwahatians. Guwahati unfortunately is going the Delhi way, becoming souless.
:Frustrati

As for the maps, i wonder even if the government agencies have an accurate map. The Survey Of India should bring out a freshly done one for the region.

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Phrangmung (Post 2042906)

Assam being what it is, it will be hard for anyone to forget this lovely place & its people. But at the same time i found Kolkatans to be better human beings than Guwahatians. Guwahati unfortunately is going the Delhi way, becoming souless.
:Frustrati

Those are some emotions San. I think the overall genetic composition of the human self is mutating towards soullessness (I am not advocating for Delhi). I myself am amazed how Kolkatans have been able to maintain it still (I have a Kolkatan Boss and he is a great guy)

Sanjay your boss should see this. :)

No really, i was there when Mother Teresa expired (5 September 1997) and her body was kept for people to see at Loretto compound / St Thomas church near Park Street. There was a long long line and than it started to rain, but no one moved, everyone waited patiently and paid their respect to the great soul. Kolkatans are special people, atleast for me from whatever i have seen so far.

But of course every place has people with 'souls' as we have discussed just as there's light after the darkest of night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy (Post 2042645)
@ Sutripta: You have a lovely knowledge of that part of India. Your location shows Kolkata.:thumbs up

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Phrangmung (Post 2042906)
As for the maps, i wonder even if the government agencies have an accurate map. The Survey Of India should bring out a freshly done one for the region.

Therefore San, you are now the official citizen cartographer (prime) of Assam!
Seriously. If interested, drop me a PM.

I've seen the army use close to useless maps in Assam. And we (the subjects, not citizens of India) do not have access to even those. Lets show the bureaucratic A***H**** how it is done.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2043899)
Thanks.

Therefore San, you are now the official citizen cartographer (prime) of Assam!
Seriously. If interested, drop me a PM.

I've seen the army use close to useless maps in Assam. And we (the subjects, not citizens of India) do not have access to even those. Lets show the bureaucratic A***H**** how it is done.

Regards
Sutripta

:D Thanks, I think CNN has better maps of the place than what our babus and sir-jis have access to. Government should use ISRO's expertise in this regard.

^^^^
Actually making a quality map requires far more effort than just taking some aerial/ satellite pictures. But given numbers, we can do a better job than what is given to us. eg. Given the number of people going to Ladakh, I feel we'll soon have a pretty good map of that place. We need to do the same for the NE.

SoI is one of the oldest surveying organisations in the world. Yet we have practically no quality maps. It is a matter of attitude. Maps empower. So those in power restrict access to them, making it seem like a crime if you want any useful one. How often have you come across statements like "the alleged subversive also had maps in his possession". Or try buying Topo sheets from SoI, Calcutta. (Surprisingly, SoI Delhi is much better). We have to proceed expecting only hindrance from the authorities.

If we formalize our methods, the extra work necessary for mapmaking when travelling is almost negligible. And no track/ place is too insignificant. In fact, from my PoV, these are the most important. The twentieth trackplot of say NH37 is not going to add significantly to the knowledgebase of the previous nineteen. But when do you think you (or someone similar) will visit Chandubi again? Or Tura - W'Nagar, or (gasp) the mythical route between W'Nagar and Shillong. We owe it to our fellow citizens.

We can discuss methods, arrive at a common 'best practices' list, and proceed. If sufficient number of people are interested.

Regards
Sutripta

PS: did you get sportstracker to work?

A recent news item from Assam Tribune regarding trade issues in Bhutan border.

Quote:

Rangiya traders urge restoration of Bhutan ties
Correspondent
RANGIYA, May 7 – The bilateral relations including trade ties between the Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan and India have been traditionally close for decades. However, stagnation in business exchange especially at places adjoining east Bhutan border near Rangiya, Nagrijuli, Tamulpur etc; have kept the small businessmen here worried. After signing of the first ever friendship treaty in 1865 between India and Bhutan, relations with Assam had been very conducive. With the eastern part of Bhutan lying very close to Rangiya subdivision in Kamrup district, people had been familiar with the neighbouring country’s people ,customs, and benefited from the country’s trade business.

Darranga Mela, was a hub of different small businesses , which seems to have come to a temporary halt due to various problems mainly because of the insurgency one. Till recently before combined force of Indian and Royal Bhutan Army carried on the ‘Operation All Clear’ against insurgents of banned ULFA, NDFB, and BLT taking shelter in Bhutan, there was the normal trade between both the countries at Darranga mela site. However after the action both, there was a temporary halt in free economic exchange as before. Mentionably, it was through Darranga mela here, that essential commodities including rice, oranges, woolen garments etc; were traded. After temporary halt in business. East Bhutan has now opted for West Bengal for procuring various raw, and finished products for its use. Bhutan businessmen have opted for other places for exchange of vital items like dal, clothes and machineries, etc; from Indian market. Also, many of the local businessmen are concerned here that Rangiya has lost out on trade items like gypsum material from Bhutan, coal, and other at valuable forest goods the exchange of which between Bhutan and to India is going on regularly. Opting distant places for procuring for essential goods from India by Bhutanese people has affected the economic development of this place. As, there was a strong business relationship albeit on a small scale in the border areas,people of Rangiya, Tamulpur, Nagrijuli etc;. Samrupjonghar, Darranga near Bhutan, and at other bordering areas were greatly benefited. Based on the recently held 16th SAARC summit at Thimphu, Royal Bhutan Government and the Government of India should consider strengthening the relations between both the countries and give ample scope of earning of livelihood to the people of both the countries by restoring the business hubs at places like Darrranga mela.

Great Pictures there San. Unfortunately, that part of India is still a big mystery to me. I never knew it is so easy to drive down to Bhutan.

Thanks Raj the borders with Bhutan is the only easily accessible part compared to borders with Pak-China-B'dsh-Myanmar.

Well the country being so vast, most of us will live our life without visiting some part or the other.

Map:

Sutripta, I also feel that if we the travellers can manage to use our locational data in some sort of common platform, we can have our very own and authentic router.

Question for HvK:

How long was the journey from Trashigang to Samdrup Jhonkar, and how were the roads. Would a small car make it or it was all big Toyotas there.

Distance from Trashigang to Samdrup Jhonkar is 186 kms, and I did it in 6 hours. Road is great - as are all roads in Bhutan - and the only bad section was due to some road widening work between Deothang & Samdrup (hardly 15 kms). There are no steep passes anywhere on this route.

Route particulars:
Trashigang-Kanglang 25 kms-Yongpula (7800 ft) 10-Wamrong 51-Narphu 40-Deothang 36-Samdrup Jhonkar 18

From Samdrup, Rangiya is 50 kms and Jalukhbari another 47 kms away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRRaj (Post 2044944)
I never knew it is so easy to drive down to Bhutan.

Well, if you think driving 3,000 kms one way from Bangalore to reach the Bhutan border is easy...........

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 2045419)
Distance from Trashigang to Samdrup Jhonkar is 186 kms, and I did it in 6 hours. Road is great - as are all roads in Bhutan - and the only bad section was due to some road widening work between Deothang & Samdrup (hardly 15 kms). There are no steep passes anywhere on this route.

Route particulars:
Trashigang-Kanglang 25 kms-Yongpula (7800 ft) 10-Wamrong 51-Narphu 40-Deothang 36-Samdrup Jhonkar 18

From Samdrup, Rangiya is 50 kms and Jalukhbari another 47 kms away.

Thanks it seems i won't be able to make a same day return journey to Trashigang. I think uphill it will take 7 to 8 hours for me. For now will just touch Samdrup soon.