Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 11:33   #1
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2

I usually go for a drive on sundays either NH8 or Greater Noida Expressway on my Rs with my Camera. Occasionally family joins too.

Last friday i told them regarding a meet at Manesar MacD on staurday. Me and Khoj were planning to drive together.Then it got postponed to sunday and again for sunday there was no response on the thread. Around 10pm i called up khoj and as there was no response on the thread we too called off the drive in the morning.

Morning as usual got up early and asked wify "Drive pe Chale". She enquired about the meet i told its called off.I casually went to kids room and enquired about the drive. Seems every one was willing for the drive and started off by 8am. Plan was Manesar McD and back as usual. Enroute i asked how about a little longer drive, lets drive to Sariska and instantly was supported. I too was interested as i have never taken Rs out of town.

My Rs passed the test with flying colors in our 14 hrs of crazy trip which was completely unplanned and spontaneous. High speed drives, bad roads, No roads, Night drives every thing in one single trip in a day and i had only Rs 50/- balance in my wallet on return.

Route taken - Delhi - Nh8 till Bheror - Alwar - Sariska ---- Alwar -Sh-25- Dharuhera - Manesar - Delhi

Distance - 400+ kms
Time - 8 am to 10.15 pm.

Finally i think Sariska is underrated compared to Jim Corbett or Ranthambore.

Detailed report and photos to follow.

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-191220101511.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9773.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_97271.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_96791.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9781.jpg
Old 20th December 2010, 12:44   #2
BHPian

re: Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2

waiting for the snaps and details. I am sure Sariska has a lot of potential if in the right hands. Still has a long way to go in terms of Tiger rehab and protection though!
Old 20th December 2010, 13:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think the teaseres are good. Can we get on with the next instalemnt? I went to Sariska last in 2007 (I visit this sanctuary fairly regularly). Don't want to hijack V&V's thread, but posting some pictures from that visit:

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-ag-trying-spot-elusive-cat.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-go-away-before-i-get-angry.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-hard-rock-mountain-face.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-male-antelope-peeing-drinking.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-male-sambhar-resting-shade.jpg

Name:  Neelgai.JPG
Views: 4988
Size:  89.7 KB

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-you-need-lesson.jpg
Old 20th December 2010, 15:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

v&v,

Nice start, waiting for more and more colourful snaps! With an RS and a driver addict, what is not possible?
Old 20th December 2010, 15:56   #5
BHPian

Looks like lot of people are out this season looking for Tigers!!! Hope you find some.
Keep posting.

Cheers
Old 20th December 2010, 19:29   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
waiting for the snaps and details. I am sure Sariska has a lot of potential if in the right hands. Still has a long way to go in terms of Tiger rehab and protection though!
Yap, True. Sariska is spread over 880 sq kms. Lots of scope for improvement and first is to stop personal vehicles into the reserve. Saw lots of locals and tourist visiting Pandav pol (Hanuman Temple) and most of them were driving rashly or higher prescribed speed limits. The traffic is high on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I think the teaseres are good. Can we get on with the next instalemnt?
Thanks GD. Will process tonight and upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
v&v,

Nice start, waiting for more and more colourful snaps! With an RS and a driver addict, what is not possible?
Thanks Jacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Looks like lot of people are out this season looking for Tigers!!! Hope you find some.
Keep posting.
Cheers
Tried a lot. Followed 3 calls by spotted deer at difference locations but our bad luck.

The guide told the best time for tiger spotting is April Evening safari. High chance of spotting.

Last edited by v&v : 20th December 2010 at 19:31.
Old 21st December 2010, 08:55   #7
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Continuing..

Did some spirited driving on Gurgaon Exp way to reach MacD by 8.45 am. Were greetd by Hayabuza, Fireblade, Suzuki GSX. Spent around 1 hour there and finally decided to continue our drive to Sariska. Checked finances and filled petrol and off to Sariska via Bheror.

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-19122010147.jpg

It was fun driving upto Behror, road widening in progress in many parts. This irritating part is the new road laying abruptly ends and begins. Some begins smoothly and some give a Thud noise. Hit a couple of rough ones, then started slowing while approaching them. Didn"t get much traffic Rs was flying and reached Behror by 10.50 Am.

Turned left and saw the sign of Alwar 45 km and immediately the road condition deteriorated and got worse as we moved ahead. After aound 5 kms i even considered returning seeing the road condition but come what may we are going ahead. Got my fist hit on the sheild and reduced the speed to 30- 40 kmph. It took almost 1 hr to cover this stretch to reach a diversion marked as "Alwar Surang". Took that dtour and after a km we were infront of the this tunnel. Took a break and continued our journey.

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9665.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9677.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9680.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9682.jpg

Everything changed after we crossed the tunnel , the roads were butter smooth but narrow and again started flying. After 15 kms we hit Alwar City by 12.20. City has decent divided road , just went straight to cross the city passing Bhagat Singh Chowraha, Bijili Ghar, then to ghati road to sariska.

Sariska is around 35 odd kms and road is mostly ok till the last 4 kms. Occasionally you are surprised by big pot holes.

Last 4 kms was horrendous. Virtually no road and big ditches. With in first 100 meters i had three underbody hits. I even thought not to continue further. Then slowly avoiding big ditches like sidewinder snake, I took almost 30 minutes to cross the stretch. The truck traffic was also high and they are not ready to leave the center road. At last by 1.30pm we landed at Sariska Project tiger Reserve office. In total of 5 underbody hits.

Spoke at the forest office, told the roads are even worst inside and private vehicle are not allowed to go off road or katcha roads. Any way what i have gone through last 30 mintues i was in not mood to drive Rs through the jungle.

The reserve opens at 7 am with last jeep entry at 3 pm and should exit before sunset.

Paid 490/- as entry fees and stuck a deal for Jeep safari @ Rs 1200/-. It was the wise decision. As discussed at the office came to know there are 3 core areas needs 4 to 5 hours to cover one core area with an average travelling of 40 to 50 kms. Hence we selected core-1 as we also wanted to visit hanuman temple ie pandu pol.

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9694.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9697.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9701.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9706.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9709.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9712.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9721.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9722.jpg

Attachment 471817

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9724.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_97371.jpg

Last edited by v&v : 21st December 2010 at 09:09.
Old 21st December 2010, 19:10   #8
v&v
Senior - BHPian

We spent around 4 hrs. Tired all possible route to track the tiger. Followed 2 call be spotted deer, no success. By 5.30 we exited as it was becoming chiller inside and had to come out by sun set.

Started back around 5.45. Route planned was Alwar - SH25 to Dharuhera. Was told by drivers the road is good and will have moderate traffic after 7. Indeed the road was good but just 1.5 lane as road widening is in progress. I think during day the traffic movement will be slow. Reached NH8 by 8.30 and had dinner at Nirulas , Manesar and reached home by 10.15 all safe.

Now the Summary - Got an average of 7.8/100 which translates to 12.8. Considering the road conditions it was very good. You require 3 to 3.5 hrs to reach Sariska.

Best place to stay is Tiger Dens at the entry gate. Sariska Palace is a bit away. No other accommodation i could find around and rest all is in Alwar.
I feel in 2 to 3 visits one can for sure find a tiger or leopard.

Last edited by v&v : 21st December 2010 at 19:19.
Old 21st December 2010, 19:59   #9
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Last batch of photos processed.

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_97151.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9741.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9742.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9749.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9751.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9770.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9772.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9777.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9795.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9801.jpg

Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2-img_9814.jpg
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

v&v, its too good for an unplanned one day trip. Duck landing in water is funny. Lot of sambhars. Though seen many in my Bandipur-Mudumalai trip, none posed for a snap .

BTW one question, what does your handle represent? Is it something lake Valavi & Valavi?
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:43   #11
BHPian

Hey v&v, thanks for introducing the charm of Sariska to me. It's been on my radar for quite a while, but always thought going to Corbett instead. Never know Sariska had such a potential. Will visit it soon.

Now the questions:

Do they allow private vehicles inside the reserve? If yes, would you advise going inside with a Maruti Esteem?
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:18   #12
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
v&v, its too good for an unplanned one day trip. Duck landing in water is funny. Lot of sambhars. Though seen many in my Bandipur-Mudumalai trip, none posed for a snap .

BTW one question, what does your handle represent? Is it something lake Valavi & Valavi?
Thanks jacs. I have observed on thing, these wild animals are used to safari vehicles they are not afraid of them but i saw them running away from personal cars. Regading V&V - VNV is my company name derived from Vinod and Vimal. We also highlight as We and We.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey v&v, thanks for introducing the charm of Sariska to me. It's been on my radar for quite a while, but always thought going to Corbett instead. Never know Sariska had such a potential. Will visit it soon.

Now the questions:

Do they allow private vehicles inside the reserve? If yes, would you advise going inside with a Maruti Esteem?

Yes as per latest info they are proposing to ban entry of private vehicles from Jan 2011. As of today its allowed on roads only but not allowed to ply on "katcha" tracks. I enquired how do you track which vehicles are defaulting, the guide told me that CC TV has been installed and minimum fine is Rs 2700/-

More over open jeep is always best option to see wild life closely.

Last edited by v&v : 22nd December 2010 at 14:21.
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Yes as per latest info they are proposing to ban entry of private vehicles from Jan 2011. As of today its allowed on roads only but not allowed to ply on "katcha" tracks. I enquired how do you track which vehicles are defaulting, the guide told me that CC TV has been installed and minimum fine is Rs 2700/-

More over open jeep is always best option to see wild life closely.
Thanks for the info mate. Totally agree about the open jeep aspect of a safari. Just that doing one in at your own pace would be different I guess. But then, the impish nature of mine would definitely make my wallet lighter by Rs 2700, so a hired jeep sounds like a better option.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:46   #14
BHPian

Hey V&V,

Great pictures. I never had an opportunity to visit wildlife locations. This is a good inspiration. TeamBHP rocks!

A very happy new year to you and all the team members!!

Cheers!!
Kalesh
Old 27th December 2010, 11:16   #15
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Thanks for the info mate. Totally agree about the open jeep aspect of a safari. Just that doing one in at your own pace would be different I guess. But then, the impish nature of mine would definitely make my wallet lighter by Rs 2700, so a hired jeep sounds like a better option.
Jeep is always a better option and i didnt find these guys in a hurry , rather we were pushing them as we were getting late and it was getting chiller too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
Hey V&V,

Great pictures. I never had an opportunity to visit wildlife locations. This is a good inspiration. TeamBHP rocks!

A very happy new year to you and all the team members!!

Cheers!!
Kalesh

Thanks mate and a very happy new year to you too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks