Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 21:50   #211
BHPian

Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

It is no surprise that this T42 chases the Gypsies. He got that habit of attacking humans with incidents like these. I'm sure one day or the other, there will be an incident involving T42 attacking the tourists. Who knows, he might even jump over a Gypsy.
Old 25th June 2013, 15:25   #212
BHPian

GD Sir, I completed my trip this weekend. The heat was thankfully not too much. Manged to do a couple of safaris.
Was allotted Zone 1 and Zone 3 respectively. No sightings in Zone 1 but was lucky with a single sighting in Zone 3, not around the water bodies but towards the end of the Zone. It was T19's male cub, Extremely well built for his age. I will post a couple of pictures later.
Was lucky to sight a jungle cat and a pretty big python, which were firsts for me :-).

Cheers
Old 25th June 2013, 19:24   #213
Senior - BHPian

The freak rains a fortnight ago was a spoiler. While it brought down the temperatures in general, the sightings got poorer and almost nil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post

GD Sir, I completed my trip this weekend. The heat was thankfully not too much. Manged to do a couple of safaris.
Zone 1 is the least preferred zone amongst the knowledgeable tourists and also is the smallest zone of the lot. Zone 3 is a good zone and generally the most sought after, thought recently Zone 2 has taken that position.

That sub-adult male cub of T 19 has been camping around the Mandoop area along with his brother for the last several days and is the only one giving regular sightings.

Look forward to the pictures and the travelogue.

Quote:

Was allotted Zone 1 and Zone 3 respectively. No sightings in Zone 1 but was lucky with a single sighting in Zone 3, not around the water bodies but towards the end of the Zone.

It was T19's male cub, Extremely well built for his age. I will post a couple of pictures later.
I would say extremely lucky as these are very very rare sightings. I have yet to see a Jungle Cat or the Python till date.

Quote:

Was lucky to sight a jungle cat and a pretty big python, which were firsts for me :-).

Cheers
Old 25th June 2013, 19:35   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The freak rains a fortnight ago was a spoiler. While it brought down the temperatures in general, the sightings got poorer and almost nil.

Zone 1 is the least preferred zone amongst the knowledgeable tourists and also is the smallest zone of the lot. Zone 3 is a good zone and generally the most sought after, thought recently Zone 2 has taken that position.

That sub-adult male cub of T 19 has been camping around the Mandoop area along with his brother for the last several days and is the only one giving regular sightings.

Look forward to the pictures and the travelogue.

I would say extremely lucky as these are very very rare sightings. I have yet to see a Jungle Cat or the Python till date.
Yes I agree that is the general opinion about this zone. Definitely small and does not take much time to cover. So in case there aint too many animals around, you could be done in an hour and then wait. Also IMO a sighting in Zone 1 could be a very good one.
Also AFAIK Zone 1 is part of T24's territory. Missed it by a whisker as it had crossed the road near the helipad(the second gate) at about 6 in the morning. My gypsy was late in picking me up and I made it inside the park at 6:15 only. There was a gypsy in front who were the only people who had sighted it. Later heard people allotted Zone 1 that day had sighted T24.
Yes the rains have played total spoil sport. Though the jungle looks green and beautiful but sightings have drastically reduced. All in all happy !! :-)
Old 25th June 2013, 22:24   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I agree that is the general opinion about this zone. Definitely small and does not take much time to cover. So in case there aint too many animals around, you could be done in an hour and then wait. Also IMO a sighting in Zone 1 could be a very good one.
Also AFAIK Zone 1 is part of T24's territory. Missed it by a whisker as it had crossed the road near the helipad(the second gate) at about 6 in the morning. My gypsy was late in picking me up and I made it inside the park at 6:15 only. There was a gypsy in front who were the only people who had sighted it. Later heard people allotted Zone 1 that day had sighted T24.
Yes the rains have played total spoil sport. Though the jungle looks green and beautiful but sightings have drastically reduced. All in all happy !! :-)
Well..... last week when I was there T-24 had made a kill and eaten his fill and was sitting in a waterhole and gave darshan to almost all the vehicles in Zone 1 that day.

Also - noor and sultan frequent Zone 1. So....... it is all upto the king, whether he wants to give you an audience or not! Zones don't really matter
Old 26th June 2013, 21:02   #216
Senior - BHPian

Continuation from post #: 194 on Page 13

Prologue

Visited Ranthambhore in May and had some good sightings. Temperatures in the North were at an all time high and this ensured good sightings almost everywhere. I had planned my second trip in June and had expected the temperatures to rise further.

Man proposes, God disposes.

Heavy rains lashed the Uttarakhand Hills, cloud bursted resulting in all round devastation. Cool Easterlies blew, bringing the temperatures down in the plains, bringing cheer to people in general but worrying lines to my forehead. And then the rains arrived. The weatherman said that the monsoons have arrived two weeks in advance.

I had a sinking feeling. This meant that all the dried-up natural water-holes inside the forest would be full with water and the Tiger would not venture out to the artificial water bodies. The sightings would be very very poor.

It rained in Ranthambhore, to the extent that one day the entry of tourist vehicles were banned.

Initially my family (4) and the Subramanian brothers were the passengers. Keeping that in view a full gypsy was booked. As the day neared, my family members backed out. The race started to find three people to fill up the vacancies. It was yes, no, yes, no from some and finally we zeroed down to three about whom the post #: 194 mentions.

With prayers on lip, embarked on the trip.

18th June, 2013

The Subramnian brothers had left on 17th night by train to Sawai Madhopur and were to join us from the 18th afternoon. Amit drove down from Dehradun on the 16th.

The rendezvous point was my condominium in Gurgaon and we were to assemble by 4:15 as the ETD was 4:30 am. Amit arrived at 4:10 and parked his car in the visitor's parking and shortly after Sandip arrived in a cab.

At 4:40 Harjeev arrived and we stuffed our gear in his Land Cruiser and by 5 we had hit the road.

The route taken was:

Gurgaon - NH8 - Kapriwas (Dharuhera by-pass) - Bhiwadi - Tijara - Alwar by-pass - Dausa - Lalsot - Sawai Madhopur.

Our ETA was around 11:30 and so we drove leisurely taking quite a few pit-stops and stopping to have some breakfast.

Our last pit-stop was about 30 kms away from Sawai and it turned into a photo session.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1468.jpg

L to R: Amit, Sandip & Harjeev

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1470.jpg

L to R: Amit, Sandip & I

Reached our resort where Guddu Bhai was waiting to welcome us. Our rooms were ready and we settled down and caught some forty winks. Had our lunch and waited for the jeep.

It arrived at 3:30 pm with Rajesh Gujar - our guide and the Subramanian brothers. Rajesh was with me in 2012 also and I had specifically asked for him.

Those freak rains 10 days ago had turned the grey, brown & dried forest into one of the greenest forest that I had ever seen. Ranthambhore doesn't look like this in June. It was greener than what I had seen in October 2010. for comparison you can see the pictures in the posts of 2010 & 2012 here.

In my heart I knew that there would be no sighting at all though we had been allotted Zone 2 that housed 4 Tigers. I shall let the pictures do the talking which will give you an idea about the green cover.

If only the King or Queen decided to come out in the open...

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1472.jpg

Fresh green leaves of the Dhok tree

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1475.jpg

Water puddles on the track

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1476.jpg

Returned disappointed and the only consolation was that today evening there were no sightings in other zones as well.

The chef at the resort is an excellent cook and today he had cooked Laal Maans for dinner. After a sumptuous dinner we went to our room licking our fingers.

The sky was overcast and it appeared that it might rain in the night. Tomorrow would be another day and hoping for the best went to bed.

19th June, 2013 - Morning, Zone 4

We were told to be ready by 5:30 so that we could enter the forest slightly before 6. I had set my alarm for 4 am, got up in a jiffy and went out of the room to look if it had rained in the night. It hadn't and as I looked at the sky I could see some faint stars. This meant that the sky had cleared and the Sun would come out. But this wouldn't raise the temperatures to a high level and would not dry up the water-holes deep inside the forest.

Entered the forest and combed the area thoroughly. No traces and not even pug-marks. Headed towards the Lakardah area that belonged to Machli and found out a very interesting fact at the chowki. The forest guards had tied a bait for Machli two days ago and she had not yet killed it. It meant she had made her own kill somewhere near the nullah and was resting there only. The nullah would have filled with water in these rains and she had no reason to venture out.

We took photographs of our gang and proceeded further.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-group.jpg

L to R: Sriskandh, I, Sandip, Akshay & Harjeev

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-group1.jpg

L to R: Amit, Sriskandh, Akshay, Harjeev & Sandip

While exiting out saw this exotic & gorgeous bird, that boasts of 8 colours.

Indian Pitta

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8667.jpg

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8672.jpg

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8676.jpg

Thus ended our morning safari on a disappointing note. Maybe the afternoon would bring some cheer.

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th June 2013 at 21:24.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:32   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
[i]

While exiting out saw this exotic & gorgeous bird, that boasts of 8 colours.

Indian Pitta

A small correction - Indian Pitta has 9 colors and is called Navrang in hindi.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 23:18   #218
BHPian

GD sir, It was a bit different to see you in one of your photos above without your usual jungle gear. You look completely different.

I'm waiting for more pictures hopefully on the Tiger that you might have sighted!
Old 27th June 2013, 10:46   #219
Senior - BHPian

I guess you are talking about the second picture where I'm in the frame with a hand on the LC. Well, I do agree as most of my mug-shots are in the hat that I always wear during a safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

GD sir, It was a bit different to see you in one of your photos above without your usual jungle gear. You look completely different.
Have patience... The travelogue has just about started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

I'm waiting for more pictures hopefully on the Tiger that you might have sighted!
Old 27th June 2013, 12:20   #220
Senior - BHPian

Its raining Indian Pitta. In Jhalana as well the Pitta is getting a common sight. Wondering if this is the season for them now?

BTW in the first Indian Pitta pic it seems you have captured the bird while it was 'releasing'!!!

Crisp photos!!
Old 27th June 2013, 12:30   #221
Senior - BHPian

Yes Deky, in the first picture it is 'pooing'. Pitta Poo. And thanks for liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post

BTW in the first Indian Pitta pic it seems you have captured the bird while it was 'releasing'!!!

Crisp photos!!
Old 27th June 2013, 21:39   #222
Senior - BHPian

19th June, 2013 - Evening, Zone 3

One of the most sought after zones, generally a sighting does happen here. This zone straddles three lakes of Ranthambhore - Padam Talao, Rajabagh & Malik Talao. After Sundari or T 17 abdicated her throne as the queen of the Lakes and vanished away for ever, her timid & docile sister Krishna or T 19 came back from Mandoop plateau at the far end of the zone and claimed ownership. Krishna's cubs had separated from her and she was ready to find a new mate.

This zone is also ruled by the dominant Star Male or T 28 and last month Star & Krishna were together and mated in the Rajbagh Palace.

We were told in the morning after the safari to be ready by 2:30 and we all were ready & waiting for the jeep. Clicked randomly during the wait.

Amit & Sandip - waiting for the jeep to arrive

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1484.jpg

Amit or shades of Don Corleone

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-amit.jpg

Sandip

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-sandip.jpg

Chameleon

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8681.jpg

Goat

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8680.jpg

The jeep arrived at 3 pm and by 3:30 we had entered the forest. Took a detour of Rajbagh slowly and found a strange phenomenon. The grasslands on either side were devoid of deer and no Sambars were inside the lake. Generally the grasslands are full of grazing herds & Sambars stand in the lake waters eating water plants.

What was the reason? Was there a Tiger in the vicinity? We decided to wait and hear for some calls. The camera clicked again.

Brahminy Myna Starling

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8683.jpg

Darter or Snakebird

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8687.jpg

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8691.jpg

When nothing happened, moved on further towards the Mandoop Plateau. T 19's male cubs are known to be there. We heard some stray calls, waited and then silence. Headed towards High Point. It is called so because it is the highest point of Ranthambhore and Sloth Bears were seen here last month.

There is a guard post here but is un-occupied because there is no provision for drinking water.

L to R: Sandip, Amit & I

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-489.jpg

L to R: Amit, Rajesh Gujar, Harjeev, I & Sandip

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-493.jpg

From this point you can have the grand view of the Lahpur area where there are quite a few Tigers but this area is out of bounds for tourists.

The Lahpur plateau & valley

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1486.jpg

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1488.jpg

Nothing here too and the search continued. Spotted this rare bird on the ground. The greenery made her stand out. Had the rains not happened, this bird would have merged into the surroundings and it would have been very difficult to spot.

Sandgrouse

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8697.jpg

Sandgrouse makes a nest on the ground. It becomes difficult to guard the eggs. This Monitor Lizard was lurking around probably looking to raid the nest.

Monitor Lizard

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1510.jpg

Returned back to the Lakes hoping some action would take place. Stopped near Padam Talao as a Cheetal called near Chhoti Chatri in Zone 2. A couple of jeeps & a canter too stopped. We also spotted a jeep near the Chatri waiting. The call continued for sometime and then the jungle fell silent.

Meanwhile the camera clicked again.

Eurasian Thick-knee

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8709.jpg

Eurasian Thick-knee foraging

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8721.jpg

Aha, caught something..!

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8727.jpg

Red-rumped swallow

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8730.jpg

Our time in the jungle ended and we had to return. At the gate we heard that a glimpse of T 24 was seen in Zone 2 but there was no confirmation. Tigers were not sighted in any other zones as well.

Score - 3 out of 6 safaris - sighting 0

Tonight was a special night. My friends & I were invited for dinner by Aditya 'Dicky' Singh at his place. Aditya owns the Ranthambhore Bagh, has been there for the last 16 years, deeply involved in Tiger conservation. He also is a very well known wild-life photographer. And I am honoured to have him as my friend.

Aditya 'Dicky' Singh

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-dicky.jpg

After freshening up we went over to his place for dinner. It was an awesome evening and by the time we bid good-bye it was 1 am. Why am I mentioning this here?

While bidding good-bye Dicky made an offer that surprised me. He offered me to pick either the 600mm f/4 or the 200~400 f/4 of his lenses and shoot during the rest of the safaris. A dream come true. I opted for the 200~400. This was the first generation VR I lens. Nikon now sells the VR II version.

AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-200400mm.jpg

I thanked Dicky profusely, cradled the lens & returned to my room. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep because of excitement.

Later I kicked myself for not taking the 600mm.

Last edited by gd1418 : 27th June 2013 at 22:00.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 22:38   #223
Senior - BHPian

20th June, 2013 - Morning, Zone 2

This zone boasts of 4 Tigers & Tigresses. At the far end of the zone in the Gandhra area resides T 22, mother of Ustaad or T 24. In the Phoota Kot & Nalghati area Ustaad T 24 rules. His current girlfriend Noor T 39 and her naughty son Sultan move around Nalghati & Zone 1.

For the last two days Sun shone brightly and the temperatures were rising and so was the humidity. We were hopeful.

And we had formidable arsenal with us today to "shoot".

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-arsenal.jpg

Top left is the Canon 17~55 lens and next to it is the Canon 550d with the 100~400 L series. Next to it is the Nikon D300 with the 70~200 f/2.8. Alongside is the Nikon 24~70 f/2.8 covered by the D800's strap. Next to it is the 300mm f/4 and then the TC 1.4 with the grey cap. In the foreground is the D800 with the 200~400mm f/4.

This picture was shot by Harjeev. The canon gear & lens belonged to Harjeev and the Nikon equipment is mine. The big bazooka on the D800 is the 200~400 belonging to Aditya.

We were ready by 5:30 and were supposed to enter the forest before 6. managed to do that to catch some early action. Saw the fresh pug marks of a male but the identity couldn't be established. A jeep saw the Tiger but from a distance. It drank water at Nalghati and then climbed the hill. We combed the entire zone thoroughly and drew a blank.

This was the fourth safari and the Tiger had not been sighted. Was it going to be repeat of my October 2010 tour where I drew a blank in all the six safaris.

For the first time I cursed the rains for playing spoilsport. Returned dejected but caught these on the camera.

Green Honey Bee-eater

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-8737.jpg

Juvenile crested Serpent Eagle

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1549.jpg

Birds don't have eye-lids but have a translucent membrane that they use to wipe the eye.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1550.jpg

These claws could hold a hare in a death-grip

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-claws.jpg

Returned back to our rooms. Now only two safaris were left. Will the King have mercy on us?

With these thoughts prepared ourselves for the afternoon safari.

to be continued.../-
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 23:23   #224
BHPian

sirjee - it is great stone curlew (indian thicknee) and is different from Eurasian thicknee

Also - 200-400 f4 has given amazing results!
Old 28th June 2013, 13:26   #225
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Sachin for the correction. I guess I have to now seriously increase my knowledge about the birds and need to get a handbook about the Indian & migratory birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

sirjee - it is great stone curlew (indian thicknee) and is different from Eurasian thicknee
The Bee-eater was shot with the 70~200 while the Eagle was captured with the 200~400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

Also - 200-400 f4 has given amazing results!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks