Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2016, 09:58   #106
BHPian

Re: Civved : Gavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
In Gavi they organise programmes on night stay+ basis for a certain fare, other than that they organise 1 day programme ie from morning till lunch.

The main attraction in Thekkady is boating in the reservoir, which you need to book in advance online., you can’t hope getting a ticket by standing in queue.

Yes you can do it in a single day. Start early from Alleppy, you may require at-least 4 to 6 hours to reach Gavi, via Kuttikanam (excellent drive). Spend an hour in Gavi and drive back towards Thekkady, have lunch somewhere on the way before entering the Periyar tiger reserve sanctuary limit. Go for evening boating after 3 pm, at Thekkady.
Thanks a lot Ddrive for all the information. I will try to have the boating tickets at Thekkady done in advance. Could you please share the link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I am not sure if Vallakkadavu Checkpost will let you go if you just show up with your TT. Check that out before you plan.
Since we're staying in a KTDC Resort in Alleppey, I will get in touch with them regarding the vehicle permits. Could possibly get the TT booked through them in advance. Hope that helps us out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
IMHO, you should do Gavi a bit leisurely ( ie. atleast spend a few hours rather than diving in and out ). They took me on a safari in my own car for a good 30 kms or so. Trust me, it was probably some of the most beautiful places I have seen in Kerala. And it was the June of 2013 when the rains were more like water from a broken watertank. They didn't let me take the boatride due to dangerous levels of water and continuing heavy rain. There is a gazebo near the restaurant and it was submerged overnight! I couldn't believe that it was the very place that I stood at and sipped tea the previous evening.
I know, I would have really loved to have spent a couple of days there. But I wasn't aware of Gavi before booking the tickets & resorts. Probably this will be one short trip to glance through the area & come back sometime later on a dedicated Gavi trip!
Old 25th June 2016, 10:22   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Thanks a lot Ddrive for all the information. I will try to have the boating tickets at Thekkady done in advance. Could you please share the link?
This is the link:
http://www.periyarfoundation.online/
But today the site says "Online booking for Boating has been temporarily blocked. Offline ticket are available" Please check.
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 14:47   #108
Senior - BHPian

Tips from my trip in May 2016
  • No private vehicles are allowed from Vallakkadavu check-post unless there is a booking confirmation from KTDC or special permission from Forest Department or vehicles of locals residing within the forest belt.
  • There are Open Jeep safaris organized by Resort lobbies of Kumily (really surprised how they get permission) but very expensive like INR4K to 6K per jeep for a trip. People staying in and around Kumily/Thekkady could leverage them.
  • 30 vehicles get permit from Angamoozhy check post (Pathanamthitta) on Public holidays (Only 10 vehicles on working days) on first come first serve basis. Tickets are issued from 7AM on-wards but expect a long queue unless its really off-season. No return via same route, you need to take Mundakkayam route after exiting Vallakadavu.
  • Day tours are conducted by KTDC during season time and this booking also makes you eligible to drive in from both directions. Not the best to enjoy Gavi unless you are traveling from Pathanamthitta direction.
  • If one need to enjoy Gavi, atleast a night stay is recommended. Just basic stay with no frills but so serene it is. All inclusive package per head is like ~INR3.5K. June-July is not the best time to visit being Monsoon. August to October is really good as per local folks.
  • Roads between Vallakadavu and Moozhiyar is bad in many stretches and sedans easily scrap the underbelly unless really lucky. Situation would not improve till Monsoon is over and government takes some action which is very less likely to happen since they do not want to promote this route for public usage.

Last edited by jacs : 27th June 2016 at 14:59.
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 13:27   #109
BHPian

Is there anyway I can book a KTDC day-trip to Gavi(from Kumily) online? going to Thekkady in end October..
Old 29th June 2016, 12:14   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
This is the link:
http://www.periyarfoundation.online/
But today the site says "Online booking for Boating has been temporarily blocked. Offline ticket are available" Please check.
Yes. Still shows the same message. I hope this is due to the monsoon, where they may not be able to guarantee whether boating would be feasible or not, in advance.
Old 10th August 2016, 08:30   #111
BHPian

My trip to Kerala is coming up tomorrow.

I have a slight confusion regarding the reporting point for the boating at Periyar. I have attached a screenshot view of the location on Google Maps. Would appreciate if some one could confirm if this is where we need to buy the offline tickets from? Is it the Thekkady Boat Landing or do we have to go elsewhere?

The online ticket booking for boating is still suspended.

Civved : Gavi-periyar-boating-point.png
Old 10th August 2016, 08:55   #112
Senior - BHPian

Just go to the same place. After you reach Thekkady, there will be a checkpost for entrance fees, and some 500m inside this checkpost you get the parking and ticket counter.

Enjoy your drive
Old 10th August 2016, 12:46   #113
BHPian

Lalu KS is spot on about the ticket counter for Thekkady Boating. The day's first ride(starting around 7 am)lasts 2 hours, while the others have a duration of 90 minutes, if i remember correctly.
Old 12th May 2023, 16:11   #114
BHPian

Planning to travel through Gavi as i plan to travel from Kochandy checkpost to Kumily and will try to get the online permit. Is anyone travelled recently in this route? I would like to know the road conditions and confirm last entry time at Kochandy checkpost, is it 11am?

Is the Gavi Ecotourism stay program continued, checked this KFDC Ecotourism website but not available for any dates.
Old 12th May 2023, 16:49   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innysta View Post
Planning to travel through Gavi as i plan to travel from Kochandy checkpost to Kumily and will try to get the online permit. Is anyone travelled recently in this route? I would like to know the road conditions and confirm last entry time at Kochandy checkpost, is it 11am?

Is the Gavi Ecotourism stay program continued, checked this KFDC Ecotourism website but not available for any dates.
The forest department permits only limited number of vehicles in that route. If I am not wrong, 10 during the weekdays and 30 during the weekends. That is a one way road till Vallakadavu Checkpost. Hence you need to make sure you get the permit to enter the forest area in advance itself.
Roads are narrow, you have to watch out for just the KSRTC bus which would be the only vehicle coming in your opposite direction and that too very rarely. Its not a frequent service. Otherwise can't complain about the condition of the road. The drive through the forest is exciting.
Rachet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks