Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 12:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?

Depending upon the tire pressure, the deformed rim will cause the wheel bearing to go kaput. This is then a vicious cycle, which causes tyre cupping, again more khat-khat or a droning sound.

So, rim bend, bearing noise or whatever: better to attend ASAP.
Old 9th April 2012, 02:22   #32
BHPian

Similar story here, Had a very bad road trip in feb, came back and noticed steering was shaking even on low speeds.
car is never driven by anybody else except myself, so I am sure this is result of the bad trip, or equally bad roads in my town currently.

Didn't knew and checked with my regular mechanic who asked me to visit the tyre shop for balancing and to my shock, 2 of my wheels were having
"Deshaped Rim" the tyre shop keeper straightened it using hammer and then did wheel balancing.

What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?-bend.jpg

he suggested me to go for new Rims ! this is currently tube type tyres on 5 yr old santro.
I feel this is a expensive replacement which was not needed.

Has someone got it repaired in rim repair machine how is the result,
will it sustain the bad roads as it used to do earlier ?
Old 11th September 2013, 13:56   #33
BHPian

Urgent - Rim Dented and a long travel ahead

Folks, Crazy last couple of days. Resigned from my job at 3 AM and drove down from Mumbai to Goa, and after reaching goa i realized that the rim of front right tyre is dented. It could be i might have hit some pothole on the way. Anyway, m attaching the pics of the tyre and would appreciate if folks/experts here could give their views on a few questions i have -

1. How bad does it look? Do i need to get it fixed right away or is it ok to drive down to Mumbai and get this attended there?

2. If driving on highway in unsafe with this condition, then could any suggest a good repair shop in Goa where i could get this thing repaired?

3. Lastly, my understanding is that it is just the rim that has got damaged. I checked price of rim at vokswagen goa and they said Rs. 1300. Am i on the right track or missing something?

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?-rim-1.jpg  

What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?-rim-2.jpg  

What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?-rim-3.jpg  

Old 11th September 2013, 19:06   #34
BHPian

Re: Urgent - Rim Dented and a long travel ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohank024 View Post
1. How bad does it look? Do i need to get it fixed right away or is it ok to drive down to Mumbai and get this attended there?
Seems pretty good from the outside atleast. Remove the wheel and just check the inside part which faces the brakes.
If your tyre is not losing any pressure, you can drive back to bombay, but you would have to check it every couple of hours just to be on the safe side.
I have driven with a bent steel rim and alloy for thousands of kms before even attending to it, so my experience has been ok.
The best option is of course - change the rim. If I were in your place, I would buy a new one just for the peace of mind.

Quote:
2. If driving on highway in unsafe with this condition, then could any suggest a good repair shop in Goa where i could get this thing repaired?
Not if you are driving safely. Any local mechanic shops can bend it back to shape, inquire with your neighbours / hotelier.

Quote:
Folks, Crazy last couple of days. Resigned from my job at 3 AM and drove down from Mumbai to Goa, and after reaching goa i realized that the rim of front right tyre is dented.

3. Lastly, my understanding is that it is just the rim that has got damaged. I checked price of rim at vokswagen goa and they said Rs. 1300. Am i on the right track or missing something?
Price quoted seems to be fair from the A.S.S., but you can get a good 2nd hand one in bombay for less than half the price.

I understand that you are passing through a bad patch, but it would be best if you drive back sanely.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 14:27   #35
Team-BHP Support

Re: Urgent - Rim Dented and a long travel ahead

Quote:
Folks, Crazy last couple of days. Am i on the right track or missing something?

thanks.
Not a major one, just the lips. Remove the wheel from the car and gently tap the rim back in shape.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 14:54   #36
BHPian

Folks need some help.

Recently, i hit a pothole (BLR roads are full of them) and bent my rim. Took it to a nearby tyre shop (Tyre Empire, HSR Layout). The mechanic there tried to hammer it in place but no matter what he did there was still a slight leakage.

He suggested to take it to a place where there are rim bend removing machines.

Any pointers in Bangalore who can do this? Took them to A1 services (wilson garden) and they refused, saying they do it only for alloy wheels. I have a bent steel rim.

Any pointers (closer to HSR would be better) would be really appreciated. Am selling off the car, so not looking for a rim replacement, neither would i want to pass the car on to an unsuspecting buyer without fixing this issue.

Regards.
Old 27th November 2014, 15:32   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Folks need some help.

Recently, i hit a pothole (BLR roads are full of them) and bent my rim. Took it to a nearby tyre shop (Tyre Empire, HSR Layout). The mechanic there tried to hammer it in place but no matter what he did there was still a slight leakage.

Any pointers in Bangalore who can do this? Took them to A1 services (wilson garden) and they refused, saying they do it only for alloy wheels. I have a bent steel rim.

Any pointers (closer to HSR would be better) would be really appreciated. Am selling off the car, so not looking for a rim replacement, neither would i want to pass the car on to an unsuspecting buyer without fixing this issue.

Regards.
I had a similar incident with my old car, took it to the Authorized service center for regular servicing and mentioned this one as a complaint and they hammered it back into original shape and charged around Rs.200 IIRC and I used that rim for another 20k kms before selling off the car. That was a TATA car, but the rim was steel and with tubed tires. You could check with your A*S*S
Old 6th December 2014, 13:48   #38
BHPian

I had gone through this wheel bent incident couple of days back. Had searched on the forum and came across posts where members mentioned about machines that are there to bring the rim back to shape. So for PCMC guys in Pune, following is the place. These machines are not commonplace hence the information.

Krishna Tyres, Near Aditya Birla Memorial Hospital, Thergaon, Chinchwad.

It cost me rs. 300 for one wheel.
shipnil is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Toyota service adviser has advised me to straighten all four steel rims of my Innova. He declined to do wheel balancing during a scheduled service visit stating that all four rims are out of shape.

I am very weary of something going wrong with tyres/rims and always want them to be in top shape. I am kind of convinced that I need to buy 4 new rims. But before I go ahead and spend Rs12k on new rims, just want to ask is rim straightening recommended here in Team-bhp? Does the straightened rim loose any of its strength or desired characteristics?

Also note while the adviser says that all 4 wheels are out of shape, there is no external deformation. And he reached this conclusion while the tyres were dismounted for wheel balancing.

Last edited by rrsteer : 22nd March 2017 at 16:41.
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:09   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Also note while the adviser says that all 4 wheels are out of shape, there is no external deformation. And he reached this conclusion while the tyres were dismounted for wheel balancing.
Something amiss here. Assuming your innova is on steel disks, if there are bends you can check that by taking it to an independent wheel alignment and balancing center. Ask them to check before you go spending money on new disk.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Folks need some help.

Is it a steel rim or alloy?
You would be better off buying a new one if it is steel rim, as they come cheap anyway.
There are lots of people who dump their almost new steel rims for alloys, with 10-15 days of ownership.
These type of 'Used' Rims will be even cheaper.
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota service adviser has advised me to straighten all four steel rims of my Innova. He declined to do wheel balancing during a scheduled service visit stating that all four rims are out of shape.
I cannot believe all 4 steel rims of a car getting bent in one go.

Did you do any off-roading or any rash driving in recent past?
Did the SA warn you in earlier services about at least one or two wheels getting bent?
Did he give you any report giving the details of bent wheels?
Is your car fit with Tubeless tires or with tubes? If tubeless, then, are there any air leaks in the tires? If yes, probably, you can doubt the bend in wheels.

If all tires are with tubes, then, suggest to get it checked with a good Tyre alignment /balancing center.

In this case, I would take all advice from SA with a large pinch of salt

Last edited by gkveda : 22nd March 2017 at 17:49.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Did you do any off-roading or any rash driving in recent past?
Did the SA warn you in earlier services about at least one or two wheels getting bent?
Did he give you any report giving the details of bent wheels?
Is your car fit with Tubeless tires or with tubes? If tubeless, then, are there any air leaks in the tires?
No incidents of careless driving with the van ever. But admittedly, I take it off the track often - nothing major though. And last year it did take a severe beating on the way to Leh. The tyres are tubeless and there is no out of ordinary loss of pressure.

Also I had earlier on more than a couple of occasions asked the service adviser (the same guy) to check for a feeble rumbling sort of a noise that one can hear at high speeds. On both occasions he had said the van was perfectly fine, and probably two rims were slightly out of shape. But since nothing was felt at the steering wheel or any issues with alignment, he asked me to overlook and carry on. This was the first time he categorically called me and said the rims need to be straightened.

I kind of trust this guy . Many times he has caused better sense to prevail on me, a lesser person would have used the opportunity to milk the customer. So while I take his advise seriously, I will definitely visit an independent garage - which would be a first.
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:16   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You should than / appreciate him for not wasting the time, energy and money on balancing a bent wheel rim. I don't debate on how all 4 rims damaged on a go, I had similar (3 out of 4 deformed rims) experience in Linea.

I suggest to get the newer steel rims swapped for alloy upgrade rather than repairing the deformed rims. Repaired rims are prone to deform more easily than a stock rim.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks