Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 19:20   #16
BHPian

re: Simple Tips to reduce the probability of Punctures

Avoiding the old reflectors (installed on highways) around a median-gap will help prevent punctures. The nails of the old ones protrude out after the reflector gets depressed or worn out. On some highways, the reflectors are placed so close that it becomes impossible to miss driving on them.
VaahanYogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 19:43   #17
BHPian

Re: Simple Tips to reduce the probability of Punctures

Guys I have had only one puncture in my Bridgestone tubeless tyres for Vista and that too when I gave the car for servicing. A screw had gone inside the tyre. My bad that I didnot notice it till I brought the car home (which is very near to the servicing centre).

Because of the tyres being tubeless there was hardly any loss of airpressure and now off-course the Service centre will not accept their fault. I know this because a tool box containing spare screws was lying very close to my left front tyre which got punctured.

Conclusion: Always check for punctures which are donated by Service centres free of cost before you leave the place.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 19:53   #18
BHPian

Some additional tips for tire check and maintenance:

It is always a good practice to check the tires everyday and remove any foreign particles sticking in the treads.
Checking air pressure and top up if necessary should be done at least once in 3 weeks.
Do not forget the spare tire too.
Check the wear pattern regularly and perform tire rotation as recommended by the manufacturer.
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 21:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Not true at all. What happens if you've been driving on a long journey and it suddenly starts raining heavily - the effect would be more than equivalent to pouring water on the tyre. Absolutely nothing would happen. But you don't need to pour water to cool a tyre, let it cool by itself.
Thank you very much, VeyronSuperSprt for clearing my misconception. Point noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Satshan, tyres do not have such a problem, because as a flexible object the tyre would have expanded during a hot run and sudden cooling will only cause it to contract, but all this is very very minute that is hardly noticeable. the air inside the tyre also behaves in the same way, a hot tyre is under higher pressure so sudden cooling will bring down the pressure a little bit say about 10%. and as Veyronsport mentioned there is no need to do so.

I think you are mistaken, and this particular scenario of sudden cooling causing damage is linked with the engine. Pouring cold water on to a hot engine will crack the engine block or head or both.
Thank you msaudf. Yes, I would have mistaken it as tyres instead of Engine, wherever I read it. I appreciate the clarification.
Old 10th July 2013, 21:30   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
filling air in a hot tire can cause a fatal tire burst.
In the case of a hot tyre the increase in pressure would be between 4 – 6 psi (roughly between 10% – 20%) over a cold tyre depending on ambient temperature, driving styles etc. Filling in air should be done at a pump where you would check the pressure in the other tyres to see the difference and bring pressure in this tyre upto the level in the other tyres. This is an interim measure to get you home without damaging your tyres and if there are no puncture repair shops close by. Any tyre (even a cold one) can burst if the pressure exceeds a certain level.
Old 17th July 2013, 17:18   #21

To add, I have noticed, when I drive right in between two concrete layers on the cement roads, I am bound to have a puncture. Plus, I pass a level crossing on my way to office, and often see vehicles with flat tyres around.
Ironhood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 18:31   #22
BHPian

Nice piece of information VeyronSuperSprt, Glad to read that there are like minded folks who can actually pen down useful info on issues like punctures, which to the world are literally negligible. I personally follow all of the above and after reading this thread suddenly realised that i have not got a puncture since ages!
Oranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 19:53   #23
BHPian

On the topic of tyres heating up during long drives, does filling Nitrogen actually help in anyway?? My tyre-walla tells me it helps in keeping the tyres cooler.
Old 17th July 2013, 21:29   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
On the topic of tyres heating up during long drives, does filling Nitrogen actually help in anyway?? My tyre-walla tells me it helps in keeping the tyres cooler.
This is OT but yes Nitrogen runs cooler because normal air has moisture and other contaminants which turn into gas when tyres heat up thereby increasing tyre temperature. Nitrogen does not have any of these issues and therefore runs cooler.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 11:09   #25
BHPian

Fantastic topic VeyronSuperSprt. Prioritizing this aspect of a car is very important otherwise any car, how ever costly or good it is, can make you bend your back.

I generally do follow most of the points mentioned here. Even while making stops on the highway, I don't go off the road to park, at the same time keep in mind the width of the road and always switch on my blinkers.

Talking about punctures and luck, I once had both the tyres flat on the same side at the same time.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 11:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

- Normal air has 78% of Nitrogen, while the Nitrogen filling outlets - as an alternate is not 100% nitrogen though it is claimed so (the general values on display are simulated).

- I have used both and could not find any difference in the performance of car, tyre temperature etc on short as well as highway drives.

I am not too sure about the science behind it and the claims made but I think checking the tyre pressure at regular intervels at a good fuel station, rotation of tyres for even wear & tear and maintaining the manufacturer specified tyre pressure is good enough for an enjoyable ride.

Last edited by i74js : 18th July 2013 at 11:58.
Old 18th July 2013, 12:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Wise advice Veyron. Thanks for those tips. I tend to follow at least 60% of those and will now make an attempt to do the rest.

Another one, that one must know is to never crash into potholes. If you're at high speed and suddenly spot a pothole on the road, try to swerve around it, if possible, instead of crashing into it. Crashing into the pothole may lead to irreparable structural damage to the tire and/or sidewall (occasionally not visible to the naked eye) but once the damage is done, chances of punctures increase twofold.

Why are some members calling the OP Veyaron instead of Veyron? That's a big insult to such a reputed name
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 16:39   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
If you're at high speed and suddenly spot a pothole on the road, try to swerve around it, if possible, instead of crashing into it.i
Sudden swerves are very dangerous if you are in traffic. If you are traveling at high speed, you have to be sure that there are no other cars or bikes trying to overtake you from the left or right side. If you have no choice, going into the pothole would be a better option than having your car banged / sideswiped. A damaged sidewall would be the lesser damage.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 18th July 2013 at 16:45.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:21   #29
Team-BHP Support

Avoid going at places where tents were put up, especially because of weddings taking place. Or where pandals are put up. Like the ones for Durga Puja.

They put the tent up using nails & while dismantling, they don't bother to dispose it off well. I always take an alternate route for ~2 days.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 19:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

To avoid vandals puncturing my tyres(usually ppl in whose place i accidentally parked my car), I got a set of cards printed that state that they contact me if they want my car moved! (and place one on my dash so that its visible from the windshield or leave one under the wiper blade)

I'm hoping, that this way, they wont be stranded and my car and tyres would be relatively safe!

Last edited by sohail99 : 18th July 2013 at 19:54.
sohail99 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks