Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2013, 18:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Simple Tips to reduce the probability of Punctures

Never fill up at Non-Digital air pumps, i have paid the price once when my Padmini's tyre burst due to excess air ( It was as high as 50psi in all tyres ).

Always ensure you fill air in your stephney before a long journey.
Make sure to visibly check your tyres for embedded nails or any sharp objects.
Old 20th July 2013, 19:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
- Normal air has 78% of Nitrogen, while the Nitrogen filling outlets - as an alternate is not 100% nitrogen though it is claimed so (the general values on display are simulated).

- I have used both and could not find any difference in the performance of car, tyre temperature etc on short as well as highway drives.

I am not too sure about the science behind it and the claims made but I think checking the tyre pressure at regular intervels at a good fuel station, rotation of tyres for even wear & tear and maintaining the manufacturer specified tyre pressure is good enough for an enjoyable ride.
Nitrogen helps in reduced interval between air pressure checking, thus eliminates the need of filling air in the middle of long journey where you may not get a proper fuel station with good equipment installed. I have done many 1.5K trips and never topped up air in between. In normal usage, i topup approximately once in 3 months / 4K KMs.
Old 21st July 2013, 15:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Never fill up at Non-Digital air pumps, i have paid the price once when my Padmini's tyre burst due to excess air ( It was as high as 50psi in all tyres ).
I strongly second that.

Once I had to fill at a local Tyre-walla, as my usual petrol bunk machine was under repair. First of all, he was reluctant to do the job! He was using a hand held dial type meter to check the Tyre pressures, so I couldn't see the pressures. He charged me an unusually high amount, and refused to fill the spare!!

The next day I found another bunk with a working air pressure thing, and to my horror, found out that the pressures in all four tyres on my Santro were sitting at 50+ psi!! Fortunately, no damages done! Only lesson learnt.
Old 25th July 2013, 23:59   #34
BHPian

I strongly agree with the tips provided.

From my experience, i can say- spend some time at least once a week and clean up the treads of your tyres. You could use a regular nail cutter, which comes with a foldable hook type and a short knife. You can use the hook type thing (I dont know what to say, so somebody help me with it?) and remove stones and other debris stuck to the tyre. Be careful not to poke your tyres badly.

It indeed increases the life of the tyres.

With the tubeless tyres, you can also have a weaker sidewall compared to conventional tyres. (They need to be softer for the cushion effect. Correct me if wrong!). Just be sensible, careful and slow while getting down and out of a POTHOLE. During rains, the side of the roads also tend to be eroded and sharp stones peek outside. Take care while overtaking.

Those were a few of my observations.

Keep your tyres in top shape for the monsoons.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash_pegasus View Post
You can use the hook type thing (I dont know what to say, so somebody help me with it?)
I guess you mean the bottle opener. I was using it to open soda/cola bottle crown caps.

I have faced punctures thrice while driving near a roadside puncture shop.

May be the puncture walas intentionally throw nails on the roads to help their business

These kind of punctures are hard to avoid, but with the right tyre pressure, your chances of avoiding a puncture are high.
Old 31st July 2013, 23:49   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado View Post

I guess you mean the bottle opener. I was using it to open soda/cola bottle crown caps.

May be the puncture walas intentionally throw nails on the roads to help their business

These kind of punctures are hard to avoid.
I guess so- it's not exactly a bottle opener but can be used to open the crown caps. It has 2-3 hooks or more like 'claws'.

About the puncture walas- same here. Has a puncture on new Yokohama c-drives (nail had gone in)
Old 1st August 2013, 16:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash_pegasus View Post
I guess so- it's not exactly a bottle opener but can be used to open the crown caps. It has 2-3 hooks or more like 'claws'.

About the puncture walas- same here. Has a puncture on new Yokohama c-drives (nail had gone in)
The claw type thingy is a can opener (for cutting the lid of tins used in canned food items).
Puneet.S is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks