Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2006, 18:44   #1
BANNED

HELP!!! New Alloys and Tyres for Alto.

I am looking for a new set of alloys for my car and I've currently set my eyes on a set of HR 5 spoke 13" 5.5J. I'm somewhat satisfied with the looks.

The matter of concern here is that I'm not sure whether it can be put into my Alto! The dealer says it's possible but I'm not completely sure of it. I've read somewhere in the forum about these sizes messing with the wheel wells etc...
I read that 13" 5J is the maximum size an Alto can take with comfort. So, What do you guys recommend? Anybody who has done something similar?

And what size of tyres should I opt for? The dealer recommends 175/60. I think it's too wide!

Now please! your inputs are needed here. I invite everybody to post their 5cents here so that everybody can benefit.
Old 14th June 2006, 23:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest 165/60-13 with 5J rims.......Ideal Combo....
If ur car is a 800cc then 175/60-13 would be too much for the engine.....also not sure if it will fit in well in the wheel wells

If u have problem in sourcing 5J rims just get baleno stock steel rims, cheap n good enough....

KP
Old 15th June 2006, 11:52   #3
BHPian

If you stay in a place like Bangalore, I would suggest that you shold not Go for alloy wheels. When the roads are bad, alloy wheels tend to bend and Buckle. Entire alignment, Bearings, Tyres and drivability will be hampered.

Also, any car designer will design the whhels considering a stability factor of Foot-Print to Height. If you put 175 wheels, you need to keep stability in mind at high speeds. Alto is not a heavy car and it is not recommended
Old 15th June 2006, 12:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukheshkumar
If you stay in a place like Bangalore, I would suggest that you shold not Go for alloy wheels. When the roads are bad, alloy wheels tend to bend and Buckle. Entire alignment, Bearings, Tyres and drivability will be hampered.

Also, any car designer will design the whhels considering a stability factor of Foot-Print to Height. If you put 175 wheels, you need to keep stability in mind at high speeds. Alto is not a heavy car and it is not recommended
i thought alloy wheels dont bend but crack
Old 15th June 2006, 12:54   #5
elf
BANNED

Do as I dooed...?

Learn from somebody who just finished burning his fingers!

I moved my Esteem's wheels & tyres onto wifey's Alto (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...?do=view&g=301). They were Goodyear Ventura 185/60R13 on 13" 8 spoke 6J K-Speed Racing Alloys.

When there was a single person in the car, no problem whatsoever. Load up 3 or more people, the sound was like as if somebody was ripping the suspension out with a claw.

Went to Pal Tyres (Lucky - PM me for his details) & he suggested the Falkens I have on now, the 165/60R-13 Falken ZE326.

Eureka! The noises stopped, the car handles like a dream, & got a fantastic soft ride. Can load up 4/5 people without a problem.

Suggest you do the same, buddy.

Ciao!
Old 15th June 2006, 17:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
i thought alloy wheels dont bend but crack

I am not sure. you could be technically correct. My understanding is that

Alloy wheels are formed from a composite of metallic materials (an alloy). The material is usually aluminium alloyed with other lightweight metals for the best possible compromise between maximum weight-saving and strength. The lower the weight of the wheels, the lower the 'rolling resistance' and 'unsprung weight'. Lower rolling resistance leads to reduced fuel consumption. Aluminium is ductile and perhaps bend and Buckle more. A friend of mine Got into this problem while driving his palio with alloy wheels. Please let me know if iam wrong.
Old 15th June 2006, 19:24   #7

Tyre Upgradation

HI , IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN UPGRADING THE TYRE SIZE THEN
155-65R13 IS THE PERFECT MATCH FOR YOUR ALTO. BECAUSE THE ALTO WHICH IS GOING FOR EXPORT IS FITTED WITH THE ABOVE MENTIONED SIZE. IF YOU GO FOR ANY MORE FURTHER WIDER TYRE I DONT THINK YOU WILL ENJOY THE DRIVING , YOUR STEARING WILL BE VERY HEAVY.
AS FAR AS THE ALLOY WHEELS ARE CONCERNED GO FOR HINDALCO AURA.

REGARDS

JOGINDER KUKREJA
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
I am looking for a new set of alloys for my car and I've currently set my eyes on a set of HR 5 spoke 13" 5.5J. I'm somewhat satisfied with the looks.

The matter of concern here is that I'm not sure whether it can be put into my Alto! The dealer says it's possible but I'm not completely sure of it. I've read somewhere in the forum about these sizes messing with the wheel wells etc...
I read that 13" 5J is the maximum size an Alto can take with comfort. So, What do you guys recommend? Anybody who has done something similar?

And what size of tyres should I opt for? The dealer recommends 175/60. I think it's too wide!

Now please! your inputs are needed here. I invite everybody to post their 5cents here so that everybody can benefit.
Old 16th June 2006, 13:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'll be putting a set of 13inches rims and tires on an alto next week along with a newly designed bodykit. Will put up pictures and let you know the exact tire size i'll use. Cheers...

Arush
Old 18th June 2006, 14:41   #9
BANNED

Thanks guys! I was planning on sticking with 155/70 tyres. But they dont look quiet well on 5.5J alloys. So found this solution : Find a good set of 5J alloys and put 155/70 or 165/65 or 155/65 R13 tyres. Whattya guys say?

"Arush: I'll be putting a set of 13inches rims and tires on an alto next week along with a newly designed bodykit. Will put up pictures and let you know the exact tire size i'll use. Cheers..."

I'm eagerly waiting for this as I want to do some bodykit works soon.

Yes, as well as aura is concerned they're of great quality but their designs are too old now. I'm sorta getting sick of it now.

Last edited by speedzak : 18th June 2006 at 14:46.
Old 29th June 2006, 17:15   #10
BANNED

Walked around and drove around many places.
Still cannot find a good set of 13 5J alloy wheels. Everyone stocks 5.5J only!!
Old 29th June 2006, 19:27   #11
BHPian

Speedzak, The right upsize is 165/60/13, I have done the same in my alto, Also did you try Aura?, It's 5j
Old 29th June 2006, 19:45   #12
BHPian

I'll say 165/60 R13, Bridgestone Potenza GIII, they are an awesome product!!! I regret changing over to Falken!!!!

PS: [Falken is good, just the tire i've chosen is not performing too well, i have 175/60 R13 on 5.5J rims!!!]
Old 29th June 2006, 21:00   #13
BHPian

I second edmond on that, I have put g3's in my car
Old 30th June 2006, 02:21   #14
BANNED

Aura is dead stock with their same designs getting sick. I mean it's time they introduced some great designs!

My choice is 155/70. Or the max I would go for will be 165/60. Of course the tyres should match the car's overall image.

I am sure about Potenza GIII ! ! That's a helluva good tyre.

BTW, Anybody know any good designs for a 13 5J wheel?
Old 12th July 2006, 03:07   #15
BANNED

Guys! Got my Alto fitted with 13" Alloys from HR. The tyres I opted is: Michelin Certis 155/70 R13. The tyres dont touch the wheel wells. Ride is good. Alloys and tyres look good. Grip is good. Fuel efficiency has'nt dropped much.
Will post pics in my garage soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks