Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2008, 12:54   #61
BHPian

Yes..I will for sure... if I give you phone clicked pics wont look so nice, trying to arrange a digital camera if not then will upload some tonight as I am off overseas for 2 weeks.. I will do it tonight for sure..

Cheers
Old 11th September 2009, 15:22   #62
BHPian

Need Info for My new ride - Civic AT

Hi guys,

Have just picked up a Civic AT white and am looking to kit her up and get her awesome set of wheels. My previous car was a Yellow Skoda RS(TOTAL HEADTURNER). For this car I need to get nice alloys & tyres. I have read 'n' number of threads here on the forum but am still very very confused. Need your help guys.

Am looking for 16' or 17' options with yokos. Mine will be a city ride with trips to Yelagiri & Kodaikanal(hilly terrain) about 7-8 times a year. I would be taking her up to speeds of over 150 often & thus need very reliable wheels. I also need wheels which will stand out and make my car look sporty. I have looked at white wheels which I thought will look cool on my white car but am worried about the maintainence. I dont want to keep worrying about always getting the wheels dirty as they will looked aged .Based on all that I have specified I request you to please tell me if 16' or 17' & what tyres for the same will be the viable option. And also how much(16' & 17' with tyres) will cost me.

Cheers
Old 11th September 2009, 15:52   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Hi guys,

Have just picked up a Civic AT white and am looking to kit her up and get her awesome set of wheels.......

Am looking for 16' or 17' options with yokos.

Cheers
congratulations on your new mount. Yokohamas are excellent tyres. As for the size what do you have a car or monster truck - 16' means sixteen feet. Surely you are talking about inches, i.e. 16".

Watch out - there are reports that Honda are finicky about tyre upgrades. Check if it will void your warranty.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:04   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
congratulations on your new mount. Yokohamas are excellent tyres. As for the size what do you have a car or monster truck - 16' means sixteen feet. Surely you are talking about inches, i.e. 16".

Watch out - there are reports that Honda are finicky about tyre upgrades. Check if it will void your warranty.

OOps sorry my bad. I meant 16" or 17". No problem with warranty as mine is a almost new used car anyways.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:30   #65
BANNED

@redfx: If it is an almost new car then surely the warranty comes your way. These days with 2+2 you will not want to lose the benefit.

In my view as long as the overall wheel size and offset do not change the warranty should be kept valid, but then I am not the boss.
Old 11th September 2009, 17:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride.
Bro, I suggest you to check out the alloys as per your budget.
You can talk to various owners via the thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ghlight=alloys

I found that appollo tyres now also has alloys.
Apollo - India - Products - Alloy Wheels

Performance alloys companies
HRE C Series
Volk TE37
CCW
Fikse Profil
BBS

Get them custom made and delivered.

All the best!
Old 11th September 2009, 17:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@redfx: If it is an almost new car then surely the warranty comes your way. These days with 2+2 you will not want to lose the benefit.

In my view as long as the overall wheel size and offset do not change the warranty should be kept valid, but then I am not the boss.
sg sir,
He's mentioned its a used car. So doesn't care about warranty I guess

redsfx,
Check out m4ugr8's Civic. Has awesome Lenso rims. For tyres you can go for Yokohama 215 profile I guess with 17".
Old 11th September 2009, 17:37   #68
BHPian

How good or bad will the ride on 17" be? How much would i need to shell out?Will getting 215 or 225 reduce the mileage by quite a bit?
Old 12th September 2009, 01:33   #69
BHPian

Ride on 17 inchers will be hard.

Stick to 16 inchers with 205 55 R 16. - Michelin PP2's.

I owned a Civic and she ran brilliantly with the above combo.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:05   #70
BHPian

I know this is a very old thread but it is still active and I see lot of civic gurus here.

I am planning to buy 16" rims see picture below, I am getting them organised from Dubai, they wont come cheap but I know someone who is selling, reason to get them, they are original honda rims, more than enhancing the looks I am considering them from handling perspective, I know there are other things that you can do like sports suspension etc.
But I am only looking at 16" rim upgrade if there is any real benefit in spending that money.

My question- is their going to be any handling advantage by installing 16" or stick to our indian stock 15", please advice at the earliest.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
17" upgrade for civic-image070.jpg  

Old 29th March 2010, 13:05   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
But I am only looking at 16" rim upgrade if there is any real benefit in spending that money.
Umm, your earlier post says you already bought & installed 17 inch wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Sentil & others, I have my new 17" wheels on my civic AT and beleive you in me, they are awesome, I need to thank one Bhpian who advised me to go for 215/50/17 his name is varun M here, they ride is awesome and there is no difference in the ride, it makes me feel as though I am driving on stock wheels, I picked up mind boggling Lenso wheels with a red samurai logo with yoko tyres
Now you state an upgrade from the stock 15 inchers?
Old 29th March 2010, 14:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Umm, your earlier post says you already bought & installed 17 inch wheels?

Now you state an upgrade from the stock 15 inchers?
You are absolutely right bro, infact in lenso wheels thread I have mentioned that never buy them.

Basically I was skeptical to put the 17" until a Bhpian gave me a better ride quality tyre upgrade on 17" which was 215/50/17, the ride quality was like the stock rims but then all the pot holes etc was hitting hard on the car as the cushioning was less on the tyre which ultimately will result into rattling sound over the years, anyways I have removed 17" bcos:

1). I do mumbai delhi once every year, I had 17" on my car when I did this route, by the time I came back I had bent 2 lenso rims, I landed up paying additional 5.5k per rim to replace them though I had already paid 23.5 for the first 4 rims. Means more money spent.
2). the Lenso boys were very disappointing, they refused to change anyone of them for free and kept arguing that I am the only one complaining, though I showed them the actual wheel, I changed one in Delhi they had just opened a new showroom in Karol Bagh and other one in Mumbai.
3) the problem started as my car was fishing, I changed the bent rims cos of the fishing issues my car was suffering, I went to Linkway Mumbai (they are my good friends today, any help needed lemme know), I made their engineers drive (even the service head is a sweet guy) my car on JVLR and the car was fishing from the back quite a bit, they agreed with me, they then decided to put stock rims and we did one more run, the car was handling inch perfect just the way it always use too.
4) I was advised to get my rims checked again and I landed up at Premji (Shailesh very sweet and helpful guy, again any help needed lemme know) also got it checked with Trevor in Santacruz west (gem of a person) they both agreed it was swaying, did couple of alignments, balancing etc but the problem was still there.
5) Finally trevor took me to Milan subway shop to Vicky Sardar and was trying to get some used tyres to check if it was rims or tyres (now my size tyres are not easily available, infact Saifee ripped my pocket for the same and charged Rs 1500 extra per tyre irrespective of me knowing the actual price, I could do nothing), why cos I had changed all my bent rims but not checked the tyres at all. While we were trying to get the tyres organised they opened up my rims and I am sure this guy while opening or something they damaged 2 tyres from inside as they had diagonal cuts through out from inside. This was scary, I would have had an accident, cos I do high speed driving, Dont know if it was there since beginning or it happenned at his shop while they were opening.
6) Anyways they could not arrange tyres, they said I have to buy new ones (again with all the above issues I refused to invest more money cos I was not sure if the problem will be fixed)I asked them to fit them back and they could not fit one of the tyres back in that state as they could not fill the air, so I had to put a tube.
7) I also had a mirror lip defect on one of the rims, I clicked a picture and sent it to Anand ( they dont give a damn) to check and revert, same standard answer only I have this complaint (basically if you buying lenso then dont expect any kind of customer service).
8) I again went to Linkway and they were very sweet, installed the original stock rims and we did a high speed test run on eastern express highway, all good with the car.
9) after spending 4 months and lots of additional money I decided to switch back to stock. I could never identify the problem.
10) I paid another 29 k bought second hand 4k kms used original honda rims and new 205/60/15 michellin vivacy (great tyres).

I hope I have answered and narrated what went wrong.

Therefore I am now thinking of only original honda rims if they are of any benefit in handling etc, obviously keeping in mind the money I will spend to get them.

Please help.

Cheers

Last edited by The Saint : 29th March 2010 at 14:37.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

@Saint, that's a bad experience indeed! And reading it, my mood has dampen a bit of upgrading to 17" altogether. All the best with your search for 16" though.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
@Saint, that's a bad experience indeed! And reading it, my mood has dampen a bit of upgrading to 17" altogether. All the best with your search for 16" though.
I know mate, it was indeed worst nightmare with so much of money lost, If I am changing then only to 16" original honda rims if there are any handling benefits or else I will stick to 15". It could be one of case of mine as so many people have put 17", but I didnt see any benefits of doing so other than sleepless nights .

Cheers
Old 29th March 2010, 18:23   #75
Senior - BHPian

Different people different opinions. I have my Civic on 17" almost since day one, Its now 2 years/30K Kms, I have the car running on 17s and I find the ride to be perfect, Yes it is stiff compared to the stock but looks is all worth it. The only problem i faced on the stock suspension with 17" wheels was the rear bottoming out even faster, The rear use to bottom out on even the expansion joints on the road after 20K Kms, but after the Eibach+Koni upgrade I find that issue solved altogether. I have more than 50 Kgs of ICE in the boot of my car, 2x12" iDMAX and a install with a lot of MDF+fiber work, still the car is perfect and no bottoming out, and when I had this on the stock suspension it was a nightmare.

I wont be the actual judge for this situation now because I have changed the suspension altogether. anybody here who is running 17" on stock suspension?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks