Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 18:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

General mass opinion is that 17" is not advisable on the Civic. I guess even navpreet switched back to stock after trying some beautiful 17" white rims on his Civic.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:04   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
General mass opinion is that 17" is not advisable on the Civic. I guess even navpreet switched back to stock after trying some beautiful 17" white rims on his Civic.
Nope i have the 17 inchers for the city rides.for the inter city trips i switch to the stock alloys.
I just can't let go of the 17 inchers.they're just too beautiful and the car looks so complete with them on.

Though i can still vouch for the thing that 17 inchers are not for the civic especially if you do long inter city trips.Its just too jarring a ride.
Old 29th March 2010, 23:34   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Different people different opinions. I have my Civic on 17" almost since day one, Its now 2 years/30K Kms, I have the car running on 17s and I find the ride to be perfect, Yes it is stiff compared to the stock but looks is all worth it. The only problem i faced on the stock suspension with 17" wheels was the rear bottoming out even faster, The rear use to bottom out on even the expansion joints on the road after 20K Kms, but after the Eibach+Koni upgrade I find that issue solved altogether. I have more than 50 Kgs of ICE in the boot of my car, 2x12" iDMAX and a install with a lot of MDF+fiber work, still the car is perfect and no bottoming out, and when I had this on the stock suspension it was a nightmare.

I wont be the actual judge for this situation now because I have changed the suspension altogether. anybody here who is running 17" on stock suspension?
Mate bring your car with 17 incher and drive in Mumbai, you will be pushed to go back to stock, you live in Delhi the roads are yummy, i would infact go for 18 inchers if I was there, but yes there are parts in Delhi with bad roads but most of it has spotless roads..

I faced lots of problem and especially on the highway. Though I agree when you are spending money on rims looks comes with it, but now I want to go for 16 inches original Honda rims even if they give me 50% better handling against our original India 15 inches.

Your thoughts please?

Cheers
Old 29th March 2010, 23:36   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Nope i have the 17 inchers for the city rides.for the inter city trips i switch to the stock alloys.
I just can't let go of the 17 inchers.they're just too beautiful and the car looks so complete with them on.

Though i can still vouch for the thing that 17 inchers are not for the civic especially if you do long inter city trips.Its just too jarring a ride.
Nav we had a long chat on this when i had this problem, hope you remember? only thing I am seeking with 16 inches original honda rims is a better handling on cornering and more confidence on high speeds, I know I know stiff suspension, but my question will this enhance any of the above in any manner.

Does any one have original 16 inch stock honda rims here in India?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Umm, your earlier post says you already bought & installed 17 inch wheels?

Now you state an upgrade from the stock 15 inchers?
GTO, need your advice bro.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2010 at 13:28. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 29th March 2010, 23:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

Actually if you put wider tires on the 16 inchers the handling will improve by a bit.215 should be suffice.Yes the handling would be marginally better because there will be lesser thickness of the tire and it'll make the steering a bit more direct.Not like in 17 inchers but still would improve by a bit.

If you're getting yourself a good deal with those honda alloys then its great.afterall those are original Enkei wheels.But if at the same price you get OZ,BBS,Rays(volk,gramlights etc) then i'd suggest get those.

I have not had a drive in manan's car but from what he says the suspension is super stiff.Not a car for the family etc.Its a one man race car now.and thats probably the way he wanted it too.But for you since you take 4-5 people in the car with you when you head out to delhi i'd suggect stick to the stock suspension or at max get the 500$ slight sport pakage from honda themselves which they supply in USA.look for it.you'll get a link.i think its some collegehonda site.
Old 30th March 2010, 00:17   #81
Senior - BHPian

17s on stock will definitely make things worse. Yes, once the upgrade is done, it will definitely make things better

But what people are trying to say is, the civic is already know for bottoming out, with 17s it will only make the ride a bit worse, for those who are also concerned about comfort and by not upgrading suspension, will make things bad
Old 30th March 2010, 17:43   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
You are absolutely right bro, infact in lenso wheels thread I have mentioned that never buy them.

Basically I was skeptical to put the 17" until a Bhpian gave me a better ride quality tyre upgrade on 17" which was 215/50/17, the ride quality was like the stock rims but then all the pot holes etc was hitting hard on the car as the cushioning was less on the tyre which ultimately will result into rattling sound over the years, anyways I have removed 17" bcos:
Thanks for the detailed reply, it's sure to help others.

In your case, I'd suggest you stick with the 15 inch wheels. Get some high quality tyres installed (preferably in 205 width), that should give you all the grip you want.

Reason? You obviously have a lot of highway driving and have burnt your fingers with 17 inch wheels. At the most, I'd recommend a 16 inch wheel size to you. However, we need to understand that none of us are pro-race drivers. Translated, we really don't have the driving skills (or driving conditions) to make use of the handling advantage of 16 inch wheels over 15. The advantage is there, yet its much too slim to make any difference on public roads. How often do you corner at 95% of your Civic's capability anyways?

Again, for your Mumbai-Delhi trips, you'll be happiest with 15 inch wheels + high quality (Michelin, Yokohama etc.) rubber.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:11   #83
Senior - BHPian

Bang on GTO. If we are going to spend more than half the time at slower speeds or not at the full potential, why invest in something that is never going to be realized.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply, it's sure to help others.

In your case, I'd suggest you stick with the 15 inch wheels. Get some high quality tyres installed (preferably in 205 width), that should give you all the grip you want.

Reason? You obviously have a lot of highway driving and have burnt your fingers with 17 inch wheels. At the most, I'd recommend a 16 inch wheel size to you. However, we need to understand that none of us are pro-race drivers. Translated, we really don't have the driving skills (or driving conditions) to make use of the handling advantage of 16 inch wheels over 15. The advantage is there, yet its much too slim to make any difference on public roads. How often do you corner at 95% of your Civic's capability anyways?

Again, for your Mumbai-Delhi trips, you'll be happiest with 15 inch wheels + high quality (Michelin, Yokohama etc.) rubber.
Thanks bro, I guess I typed so much that you missed out reading point 10, I am currently using 205/60/15 Michelin Vivacy. Yes I have spent lots of money so I am definitely not buying or installing 17" even if they are for free.

It is not the cornering that matters it is the overall confidence that I would get with the 16" (cornering is rare while you are in Mumbai, but the regular Mumbai roads they all look so slippery and make u feel jittery, yes on highways Mum-Delhi its 1500 or even if you going to Pune which I do once a month) as I will have more rubber under my belt to support it, If Honda is giving 16" in international market there has to be a reason for it, Any one can tell me why they are doing so?

Even if it is a 30-50% increase than 15" it is good VFM keeping in mind it is original, installed by Honda (means tested), car doesnt compromise in terms of suspension, no stiff ride, no rattling over long run.

What Say?

Saint

Quote:
Actually if you put wider tires on the 16 inchers the handling will improve by a bit.215 should be suffice.Yes the handling would be marginally better because there will be lesser thickness of the tire and it'll make the steering a bit more direct.Not like in 17 inchers but still would improve by a bit.

If you're getting yourself a good deal with those honda alloys then its great.afterall those are original Enkei wheels.But if at the same price you get OZ,BBS,Rays(volk,gramlights etc) then i'd suggest get those.

I have not had a drive in manan's car but from what he says the suspension is super stiff.Not a car for the family etc.Its a one man race car now.and thats probably the way he wanted it too.But for you since you take 4-5 people in the car with you when you head out to delhi i'd suggect stick to the stock suspension or at max get the 500$ slight sport pakage from honda themselves which they supply in USA.look for it.you'll get a link.i think its some collegehonda site.
Nav, thanks mate. I agree I could look at other brands as well, but Enkei is in the same league, I think you mean I could get a better looking design, though I dont think the 16" by Enkei is that bad and while the wheels are spinning they look good.

I would get these rims at a very good price with tyres though I have to ship them due to weight, I think landing cost to me will be around 1500-1700 DHS x 13 - Rs 22,100, which is not bad keeping in mind that my current Vivacy have already done 25k, so I am due for a tyre change which means around 15k + I will get some money for my 15" stock with tyres.

Saint

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2010 at 20:04. Reason: Second warning. Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 31st March 2010, 20:03   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is not the cornering that matters it is the overall confidence that I would get with the 16" (cornering is rare while you are in Mumbai, but the regular Mumbai roads they all look so slippery and make u feel jittery, yes on highways Mum-Delhi its 1500 or even if you going to Pune which I do once a month) as I will have more rubber under my belt to support it
It's not like 16 inchers with thicker tyres will make a whole lot of difference in grip levels. The key is not only tyre width, but also tyre quality. As long as you have top quality rubber in 205s (which I think you do), I wouldn't worry too much. All of us want to bling our Civics; to be honest, 205 is more than enough to handle the stock power output.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:11   #86
Senior - BHPian

The price seems to be very very good.especially since its landed.go for them is all i can say.If you forget the part that these are OE and are being removed by someone then getting s set of Enkei rims for 22k is super awesome!
Get them down and paint them white.they'll look stupendous.
Old 1st April 2010, 10:38   #87
BHPian

Quote:
The price seems to be very very good.especially since its landed.go for them is all i can say.If you forget the part that these are OE and are being removed by someone then getting s set of Enkei rims for 22k is super awesome!
Get them down and paint them white.they'll look stupendous.
Thanks nav, yeah it is a steal buy and want to get them painted white, I will try and locate some one in dubai to do it as they will do a better quality long lasting job (I dont even know if some one can paint them white in Mumbai), lets see if I get lucky, white looks awesome on white, I see on your ride and had 17" white on mine as well.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2010, 12:05   #88
BANNED

after a long thought i too so wanted 17 inchers on my civic. but there were so many negetive to getting that done and only one positive. so i ended up buying 16 inchers and saved 20k as well in the bargain. 17 as of now just not for bombay at all
Old 1st April 2010, 13:16   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
after a long thought i too so wanted 17 inchers on my civic. but there were so many negetive to getting that done and only one positive. so i ended up buying 16 inchers and saved 20k as well in the bargain. 17 as of now just not for bombay at all
I totally agree, what brand alloys? whats the tyre size and brand? is there a difference in handling from 15"? Please share your thoughts.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:58   #90
BANNED

Quote:
I totally agree, what brand alloys? whats the tyre size and brand? is there a difference in handling from 15"? Please share your thoughts.
16 inch lenso raidens. sc08 grey color

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks