Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 19:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: MRF ZLX Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
You have said in an earlier post that the ZLX loses 4-5 psi every 20 or so days. Does it still exhibit that behaviour. I drive once every week and the petrol pump is a bit of a detour for filling air. I'd rather not have to refill air every time i go out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Yes that is correct. The ZLX tyres do lose air quicker than the other tyres, about 4 PSi in a month and the behavior was consistent throughout the 15k kms I used the those tyres. I also found that filling the tyres to 35 PSi gave a better softer ride. The car (with those tyres) is with my parents now.
Air loss isn't just the tyre's fault. In addition to the tyre, the condition, age and fitting of the rim and the valve (neck) are also important.

I have been using ZLX tyres for the past two years and have never faced the air loss issue.

If there is one issue that I would like to highlight, it is the treads picking up small pebbles. Other than that, it is a good choice.
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 19:43   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Air loss isn't just the tyre's fault. In addition to the tyre, the condition, age and fitting of the rim and the valve (neck) are also important.

I have been using ZLX tyres for the past two years and have never faced the air loss issue.

If there is one issue that I would like to highlight, it is the treads picking up small pebbles. Other than that, it is a good choice.
I wouldn't call it as a problem of air loss as losing 1 psi per week is not bad. However, my previous set of tyres retained air pressure for longer periods (abnormally long).

The rims were in good condition even though the car had run 75k kms at time of installing the ZLX. Again I wouldn't suspect the rims or valves as the air pressure was always uniform across all four tyres when I checked every 3-4 weeks. The difference was 1 psi, if at all. I used the same fuel bunk and same air pressure pump.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 20:44   #48
BHPian

Now im more confused. The ZLXs are 550 rupees cheaper than the Continental CC5s. I wanted something with a comfy ride (coming from XM2s) and the car is not driven much. I thought the ZLXs would be a good option since the running is low.
Old 17th August 2020, 21:27   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Now I'm more confused. The ZLXs are 550 rupees cheaper than the Continental CC5s. I wanted something with a comfy ride (coming from XM2s) and the car is not driven much. I thought the ZLXs would be a good option since the running is low.
Since usage is on the lower side, I'll suggest MRF ZLX over the Continental.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 21:44   #50
BANNED

My brother bought 4 ZLX tyres for his wife's Grand i10; 2 months ago. Previously it was running Earth1.

He only has negatives:
- Tyre noise
- Poor riding comfort
- Inconsistent braking performance
- Not VFM(it was only cheaper by Rs. 200 when compared to Earth1)
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:18   #51
BHPian

Finally replaced by 7 year old XM2s with a set of ZLX's in stock size. The Michelins had low running over the past few years so had developed cracks in the tread, so decided to replace them.

First impressions: The tyres are silent and absorb bumps and potholes quite well. Of course, coming from old tyres, that is to be expected. Do I feel they are as soft and smooth as new XM2s? No, but they are not far off. For anyone who wants a smooth and silent ride on a budget, the ZLXs are a good choice.
avi550m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 01:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
My brother bought 4 ZLX tyres for his wife's Grand i10; 2 months ago. Previously it was running Earth1.

He only has negatives:
- Tyre noise
- Poor riding comfort
- Inconsistent braking performance
- Not VFM(it was only cheaper by Rs. 200 when compared to Earth1)
Hello. I'm planning on installing these on my 800. 145/80 R12 size. Has anyone else faced these issues? Especially the insistent braking? If not ZLX, what would you suggest for me to use instead?
Old 13th August 2022, 07:49   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
Hello. I'm planning on installing these on my 800. 145/80 R12 size. Has anyone else faced these issues? Especially the insistent braking? If not ZLX, what would you suggest for me to use instead?
I have had these for 3 years now (18k kms) on my WagonR. They're still soft and not noisy. For a relaxed driving style, they're still my preferred tyres (including braking and handling).

If you need good performance, then go for Earth-1 at the cost of losing the soft ride and slightly higher tyre noise.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 08:19   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Replaced the Yoko E1's with ZLX yesterday. Somehow feel that the actual contact section in the ZLX is narrower than with the Yoko's. Both are 175's.

Is this how they are ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks