Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2005, 18:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

ok Samurai, one more question. What is the general way of mending a puncture on a tubeless tyre?

Will the repair kit make the tyres as good as before or did you get a hot/cold patch fixed inside?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd March 2005 at 19:11.
Old 23rd March 2005, 19:09   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
ok Samurai, one more question. What is a general way of mending a puncture on a tubeless tyres?
Once I had the misfortune of getting an instant puncture on my rear tyre. I was going to work and suddenly started hearing a light whirring sound. Since it didn't affect the handling in any way, I ignored it. Later drove home for lunch I again heard it, again ignored it. However, before starting back to work I suddenly remembered the sound. So, I went around the car looking for any sign of trouble, some hanging part, etc. Then I was shocked to see that the right rear tyre was fully flat. I was driving the Acura (FWD) for like 10 miles with a rear flat tyre and I hadn't noticed any difference in handling except for a tiny heaviness. What a car!

Anyway, I changed the wheel and boy those 16 inch wheels are heavy. I took the flat tyre to the nearest garage. My memory is little hazy now, but this is what I remember. The culprit turned out to be a twisted piece of metal which is why the tyre flattened instantly. They took this 4 inch long strip (rubber? plastic?) and put some kind of gum and heated it a little. Then they inserted the strip into the puncture hole and left it for a while. And they pruned the remaining strip. That's it. When I saw it, I was really unsure whether it will hold. Well, it did fine.

Quote:
Will the repair kit make the tyres as good as before or did you get a hot/cold patch fixed inside?
That plug held fine as long as I had the car. The other nail which was discovered in the routine service was fixed differently, I didn't get to see the process. The Acura mechanic said something about galvanising the punture, etc. Not sure about that.
Old 23rd March 2005, 19:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Here is another disadvantage.... its not really a disadvantage but just a heavier burden on ur wallet. If u go for tubeless tyres, then u should either switch to alloys, or at least replace the existing steel rims if they are bent or damaged. And given the state of roads, its not uncommon to have a bent rim.
Say, what would happen if you are running on tubeless tyres on normal wheels and the rim gets bent?
Also, what would happen if you are running on alloys and the alloy wheel gets a crack?

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 23rd March 2005, 19:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Say, what would happen if you are running on tubeless tyres on normal wheels and the rim gets bent?
This would create a gap between the rim and the tyres making the tyre lose air.

Quote:
Also, what would happen if you are running on alloys and the alloy wheel gets a crack?
Time to get a new wheel!!!

Shan2nu
Old 23rd March 2005, 19:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Time to get a new wheel!!!

Shan2nu
Or a new SET of wheels if u r running on one of em imported alloys... right?
Old 23rd March 2005, 20:46   #36
BHPian

or put the spare tyre, and get a rim for the 5th tubeless till a time another one breaks. Then you replace all 5 :-)
Old 23rd March 2005, 21:02   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
The Acura mechanic said something about galvanising the punture, etc. Not sure about that.
I think you mean Vulcanizing ?

cya
R
Old 15th April 2005, 15:14   #38
BHPian

Shan2nu, to answer your question [b]"ok Samurai, one more question. What is the general way of mending a puncture on a tubeless tyre?"[b]

i get my punctures fixed at Ashoka Tyres in Indira Nagar. (he is a dealer for GoodYear tyres)

Once i had a semi flat in the morning (after a feeling of uneven tyre pressure the previous morning), I changed the tyre and took it there. now our man says that if you have a flat in the front tyre, dont even bother changing it, Just fill in some air and drive it to the shop. They will jack up the car, turn the relevant wheel outwards and identify the nail (or whatever). Pull it out using a pair of pliers. Then take this chewing gum like stick of whatever and stick it into the hole with a thin long iron thingey, pull out the iron thingey. cut off the loose ends of the chewing gum and you are done! even changing the tyre is not required!

not bad eh?
Old 15th April 2005, 15:55   #39
BHPian

Yeah, that is the procedure that was explained to me also. Seems having a tyre repair shop is no longer necessary. I got a 'kit' for around Rs. 200 which included a set of rubber/plastic threads in some gel. there are 2 screwdriver like tools. One to take the rubber thing out, another one to open the puncture after pulling out the nail so the puncture can be fixed. Then you push the thread/string into the hole so that half of it is inside, fill in air with a foot-pump (bought that as well), and drive off. The tyre guys do the same thing, so saves you a visit to them as well.
Old 15th April 2005, 16:45   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Here is another disadvantage.... its not really a disadvantage but just a heavier burden on ur wallet. If u go for tubeless tyres, then u should either switch to alloys, or at least replace the existing steel rims if they are bent or damaged. And given the state of roads, its not uncommon to have a bent rim.
Well, I would not call that a disadvantage. The fact is that if your wheel is bent or worse still, cracked, you really don't want to be driving around on it. If the air leaks out of the tubeless tyre because of that forcing you to change the wheel, I would consider that an advantge. It may just be the thing that saves your life! A bit of inconvience and extra expense is a small price to pay.

Your wheels are the only thing that connect your car to the road, and that is one area where you just don't want to take any chances. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Last edited by Rtech : 15th April 2005 at 16:47.
Old 15th April 2005, 17:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Well, I would not call that a disadvantage. The fact is that if your wheel is bent or worse still, cracked, you really don't want to be driving around on it. If the air leaks out of the tubeless tyre because of that forcing you to change the wheel, I would consider that an advantge. It may just be the thing that saves your life! A bit of inconvience and extra expense is a small price to pay.
Ummm... a slightly bent rim is more dangerous when running on tube type tyre or a tubeless tyre ?
Old 15th April 2005, 17:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Ummm... a slightly bent rim is more dangerous when running on tube type tyre or a tubeless tyre ?
On a tubeless, the air will keep escaping, so there'll be a regular topping up required, which is quite cumbersome.

On tubed, you'll run fine. But when the tyre/tube are hot, and if the bent opens up a gap, you'll have a quick puncture which might be more unpleasant.

Therefore, with tubed, a bent rim is more dangerous. But the word 'slightly' is confusing. I'd say with a slightly bent rim. a tubeless would be more inconvenient, not dangerous.

Simran
Old 15th April 2005, 17:37   #43
Team-BHP Support

OK, ignore the reference to the bent rim in my previous post. But yes, it would be more of an inconvenience if you have a slow leak because of that. More dangerous, no, the tubed tyre would still have a higher risk factor.

However, I would trade a bit of inconvenience (rarely I might add) for the leap in safety over tubed tyres every time. Think about it, there must be a reason why tubed tyres have become all but extinct in the world. Even when it comes to serious offroad vehicles.

I have been running tubeless on steel rims for more than a year now. Over all sorts of roads. Zero air loss.

In this day and age if a person buys new tyres with tubes inside, he is either ignorant or foolish. Period.
Old 15th April 2005, 17:44   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Amitoj your Zen's rear wheel (don't know left or right cause I was with you in the car) is wobbling very badly. Why and how and what are you doing about it?
Old 15th April 2005, 17:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I have been running tubeless on steel rims for more than a year now. Over all sorts of roads. Zero air loss.

rtech ,
what car do u run those rires on?????

Quote:

In this day and age if a person buys new tyres with tubes inside, he is either ignorant or foolish. Period
and what do you say of the car company that sells 1.1L cars with tubeless tires and air bags,while its more powerful 1.6 L car has tubetype tires.

the baleno having a top speed of 175kph has a s-rated tire.which means the tires have as peed limit of 180kph.

Quote:
Amitoj your Zen's rear wheel (don't know left or right cause I was with you in the car) is wobbling very badly. Why and how and what are you doing about it

amitoj ,

its high time u put alloys in your car.

Last edited by speedsatya : 15th April 2005 at 17:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks